Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:10 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
In other cases they should be deleted, right?

Yes.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:22 am 

Alright, thanks. :) *clears Portal's additional notes aside from the email address*

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 am 

More of an aesthetic issue than anything else, but worth mention, I guess. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%CE ... 3540337554
Something about this band's name makes the genre really close to the edit button and it looks ugly.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 am 

It looks just fine with Chrome, Firefox 8 and IE9.

Last edited by Evenfiel on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 am 

Must just be my resolution, then. Never mind.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:24 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
This is not important but one of those should be fixed:

There are 204095 active members, 75311 inactive members for a total of 279406 registered members. (on the more stats page)

and

204102 registered users (on the main page)

That's because the stats are cached daily on the stats page, and are not in real-time. That's why you have the date such as "Stats as of November 28th, 2011, 5:13 am EST" at the top.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 pm 

I think he means that the first figure says "279406 registered members" and the second figure says "204102 registered users". I assume the latter figure is the amount of active users.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 pm 

Well I meant this: 204346 registered users and 279725 registered members. There is a difference of 75379 members.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 pm 

The stat on the main page includes only the users who activated their accounts. On the detailed stats page, it specifies 3 different stats: activated accounts, inactive accounts, and the total. I don't see how it can be confusing... that "difference of 75k users" is explained right there on the stats page.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm 

If you say so, but for me "registered users" and "registered members" have basically the same meaning. Anyway as I said in my initial post this is not important. Since you are here I will ask you if it will be possible to modify the amount of bands added in the queue to 10 per user instead of 5?

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm 

I personally assumed "inactive members" meant users that haven't done anything on the site in a while. :lol:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:24 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
If you say so, but for me "registered users" and "registered members" have basically the same meaning. Anyway as I said in my initial post this is not important. Since you are here I will ask you if it will be possible to modify the amount of bands added in the queue to 10 per user instead of 5?

Of course it's certainly possible. But it doesn't mean I want to do it. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Question time!

Okay, I've been seeing links like "See also: band x" in the additional notes of some bands (the only one I can think of right now is Portal)... Aren't these a little obsolete now, considering that the V2 lineup quite clearly displays every band each past and present member has been a part of? The only way I can see these parts of notes being handy at this point is if the bands share members, but the relationship is only conjectural and can't be directly proven somehow. In other cases they should be deleted, right?

This always annoyed me: seeing "see also: x" in a band's additional notes with no indication of what it actually means. Do they share members? Then why not say as much instead of the vague "see also"? And if it's not that, write something else but please be more specific...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 pm 

This made more sense in v1, where there were no artists pages or similar bands features, but yeah, in v2 it's not relevant, feel free to delete those lines (or elaborate on the relation between the bands if you want) if you encounter any.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

The_Dark_Templar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:34 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
More of an aesthetic issue than anything else, but worth mention, I guess. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%CE ... 3540337554
Something about this band's name makes the genre really close to the edit button and it looks ugly.

I'm seeing the same thing on that page for some reason, with Firefox 8. I've never come across it on any other band pages though. Quite strange.

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 am 

The_Dark_Templar wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing on that page for some reason, with Firefox 8. I've never come across it on any other band pages though. Quite strange.
me too actually *shrug*

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 am 

the site has the "Year of creation" field for bands and labels, why not a "Year of dissolution" field?

"Year of dissolution"
"On hold since"
"Changed name in"

but instead of displaying "N/A" if nothing is entered in the field, just don't show the field at all.

edit: the only trouble i see is when a band breaks up then reforms repeatedly, or when the band has been put on hold multiple times

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:00 am 

this is what I see when using IE... notice the label links (i wasn't signed in while testing this, but it does show the same thing when i am signed in)

Spoiler: show
Attachment:
ex3.jpg
Attachment:
ex2.jpg
Attachment:
ex1.jpg

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:35 am 

Yeah, you can thank IE7 for its shitty support of URLs in the CSS "content:" attribute. :facepalm: IE8+ works fine, it's just IE7 that needs a hack (predictably enough).

I've posted a fix in the bug tracker. :) Just a few lines of CSS to do the trick.

Last edited by Alhadis on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 am 

I use mozilla anyway

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:12 am 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when a band or album is removed from the database it doesn't get removed from a user's list of reviews, which just leads to dead pages. For instance, hells_unicorn still has his Animals As Leaders review listed even though the band's been removed, but it leads nowhere.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:57 am 

BC_Blade wrote:
the site has the "Year of creation" field for bands and labels, why not a "Year of dissolution" field?

"Year of dissolution"
"On hold since"
"Changed name in"

but instead of displaying "N/A" if nothing is entered in the field, just don't show the field at all.

edit: the only trouble i see is when a band breaks up then reforms repeatedly, or when the band has been put on hold multiple times

Actually planned. I think.

As for a band oscillating, when the last known status is split-up/on hold, the year can be entered into the field, if they reform, the date gets removed and their disbanding-reforming shenanigans can be explained in the additional notes (like we do now anyway). Or we could just have a "years active" feature similar to those of artists with the year ranges.

Maybe there could also be another field next to "Changed name in" where the new name can be entered (if present in the database or not, kinda like with adding bands to splits).

MalignantThrone wrote:

Looks perfectly fine with Chrome.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:18 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but when a band or album is removed from the database it doesn't get removed from a user's list of reviews, which just leads to dead pages. For instance, hells_unicorn still has his Animals As Leaders review listed even though the band's been removed, but it leads nowhere.

Fixed.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Maybe there could also be another field next to "Changed name in" where the new name can be entered (if present in the database or not, kinda like with adding bands to splits).

Also planned.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:26 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:

That should be fixed now.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:

Hmm...nope.
Attachment:
adssadadsadssadadsadsads.jpg

Using the latest version of Chrome, by the way.

EDIT: I'll suggest something while I'm at it: Can we alphabetize miscellaneous staff contributions on an artist profile?

For example, look at Billy Anderson's Misc. Staff tab:
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/B ... rson/34428
If I wanted to find a specific band he's done work for in that aspect, I'd have to scroll entirely through that list until I saw something. If it were alphabetized, I could at least have a point to begin looking. And it might sound a bit nitpicky, but at least it'd be better than the seemingly random order the roles are in at the moment.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

Hmm...nope.

I posted before that I don't have that problem as a Chrome user, but it just occured to me that I don't notice it, because the "delete band" button is between the name and the rest of the info, thus pushing it below the edit button. When I'm not logged in as a mod I have the same problem.

Looks like the Greek script is smaller in character height than the Roman one and the data gets moved up a bit.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:27 pm 

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing in Firefox after deleting the Delete button in Firebug.

Solution:
Code:
.noCaps{
   min-height: 26px;
}

Copied to the bug tracker.

EDIT: Ugh, we really need to update the colour scheme for BbBoard's Spoiler/Code tags. <_<; That white sticks out like a dog's dick...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Hmm...nope.

It should be fixed now.

Quote:
EDIT: I'll suggest something while I'm at it: Can we alphabetize miscellaneous staff contributions on an artist profile?

Yeah, makes sense.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
MalignantThrone wrote:
Hmm...nope.

It should be fixed now.

Sorry, still the same as before for me.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:02 am 

You DID refresh your browser, right? :p

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:05 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Sorry, still the same as before for me.

Even if you clear your cache?

Quote:

This is now live. If it doesn't work, just clear the artist's cache.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:14 am 

Bleh, okay, all fine now. Sorry, nevermind information technological ignorant me. :oh shit:

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:55 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:

This is now live. If it doesn't work, just clear the artist's cache.

Yeah, seems to work fine. Thanks, Evenfiel. :)

EDIT: Another suggestion, possibly a bit harder to integrate.

Okay, so I've been working on whittling down the bands with alternate spellings, since quite a few of them are bullshit. And it got me thinking, can the mods have a checkbox to verify alternate spellings, like users can for labels, so the band's ANS field can be considered legitimate and then be removed from that list? It'd make it easier to sift through and find bands that really need their ANS field cleared.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Okay, so I've been working on whittling down the bands with alternate spellings, since quite a few of them are bullshit. And it got me thinking, can the mods have a checkbox to verify alternate spellings, like users can for labels, so the band's ANS field can be considered legitimate and then be removed from that list? It'd make it easier to sift through and find bands that really need their ANS field cleared.

Since the vast majority of them are useless, there is no need for something like that. What I already proposed is to only allow veterans to update that field.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01 pm 

Alrighty, makes sense.

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 pm 

Didn't feel like asking in the ANS thread since it's God-knows-how many months old now with no new posts, but a question for Evenfiel - should I wipe ANSs with Xs? For example, Cemetary Rapist = CxRx, D.I.Y. = DxIxYx, etc.

EDIT: If any Veterans are bored, feel free to filter the non-neutral bullshit from this band's additional notes:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/D.O.T.A.C./23259

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:40 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
Didn't feel like asking in the ANS thread since it's God-knows-how many months old now with no new posts, but a question for Evenfiel - should I wipe ANSs with Xs? For example, Cemetary Rapist = CxRx, D.I.Y. = DxIxYx, etc.

I've always deleted those, to be honest. I mean, are people really searching for a band that way?

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:49 pm 

How long will the following artists stay, they were added, then the band was rejected:

i found them through KingChaosMachine's modification history, but they are searchable as well.

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/c ... ins/340608
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/B ... pau/340610
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/J ... ins/340607
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/M ... ren/340605

will they be automatically removed at some point, or should an 'orphan' report be filed?

EDIT: i just searched artists from which a band i still have as a draft and a band that was rejected, and then deleted from 'my bands'.

the draft band's artists were not found through search, but the rejected/deleted band's artist was.

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:07 pm 

the main band name on a band profile is clickable now?

(or i'm simple and just never noticed before)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 65  Next