Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:27 am 

When there is an artist on a band lineup who is deceased, the R.I.P. message is inconsistent depending on whether or not there is a date listed along with the death and this is problematic.

Example A: Heaven and Hell
Ronnie James Dio's death is known down to the date. His "(R.I.P.)" message is listed right next to his name.

Example B: Забытые Твердыни Льдов
The date of death for Frost (a member in the past lineup) is unknown. However, he was also involved in other projects besides Забытые Твердыни Льдов. The "R.I.P." message is displayed right before the "See also" message that indicates the other projects.

Example C (and herein lies the flaw to this approach): Torchure
Both Mario Staller and Malte Staller are dead, but the date is not known. This means that, according to the site's programming, the "(R.I.P.)" message would go on the line where their other projects are listed. However, neither of those two was involved in any other projects besides Torchure, so the website does not even indicate that they are dead unless you click on their artist profiles.

This seems inconvenient, less like an intended feature and more like a shortcoming of the programming... can we get this fixed?

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:07 am 

Look at Torchure's page again: it just needed refreshed, I guess.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 am 

Oh, huh, I guess you're right. :oh shit: Never mind.

Well, while we're on the subject, can we move the "R.I.P." message out of the "See also" line for people like Frost?

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:15 am 

Hey,
I've tried searching for this in the forum but it's generic enough that narrowing it down to something that's relevant is hard - in terms of adding albums to collections - while I know you can click on the link on the top left to get to your collection - has there been any discussion about some kind of label within the band page to see it?

So for instance...I'm a Nunslaughter collection and I go to their page and add the ones I have to my collection. I keep track of what I need through that page. I can click on my collection and see what I have but then I have to go to the Nunslaughter page and figure out what I don't have. What would be really nice is if on the discography page there would be an icon next to the release indicating that you have it in your collection. Alternately, if you click on the release it could say it there instead but the former would be the most desirable - this way you can see what you have and what you don't have in your collection on one page. Has this been brought up before or any chance this can get considered for something down the road?

The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm 

Just asking out of curiosity. Has any feature been made so that current cities/past cities or current genre's/past genre's can be added??

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

No, but a year range option for genres has been proposed by some members of the staff.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 pm 

Has an option been considered to add dummy entries for parent and/or sub-labels on a label page?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 am 

It would be great if you could get the link to a review from the review page, and didn't have to go to the author's profile and search the review from there. A minor annoyance, I suppose, but it would make linking reviews easier.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:01 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
It would be great if you could get the link to a review from the review page, and didn't have to go to the author's profile and search the review from there. A minor annoyance, I suppose, but it would make linking reviews easier.

Just go to the "Reviews" tab for the album (between "Members" and "Additional Notes"), and then click the magnifying glass icon next to whatever specific review you want to link.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 am 

Just a random thought that I figured may be of use to some people; when you look at the countries list and click on say... Malaysia, there's the "genre", "location", and "status" sortable categories, I thought that a "Number of reviews" sortable category would also be useful. Just a random scenario, a user is wanting to find some of the more well known bands in said country, no specific sub-genre in mind, and read reviews of their music, they could sort the bands from that country by number of reviews, and not have to click on as many various bands to find what they're looking for. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:02 pm 

Why do the website's lists, when sorted alphabetically, have two separate A-Z sections? Look, for example, here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gor ... 24#Reviews

When you sort the reviewers by username, it looks like this:

Quote:
AllPowerToSlaves April 27th, 2006
AllPowerToSlaves June 13th, 2006
Avestriel September 2nd, 2013
BastardHead May 25th, 2013
Bonged July 31st, 2011
Bonged February 13th, 2012
ConorFynes August 23rd, 2011
ConorFynes December 10th, 2011
DEGODRUMMER February 20th, 2010
DarkSurgeon June 14th, 2009
Dark_Mewtwo1 August 15th, 2008
From_Wisdom_To_Mabt January 27th, 2006
HemlockxSociety October 31st, 2005
Idrownfish June 27th, 2010
InfinityX April 28th, 2011
Inflictor_of_Grimness January 13th, 2012
KillerPedrochas November 20th, 2007
MetalThrashingMad August 31st, 2005
MikeyC July 17th, 2008
MutantClannfear September 6th, 2013
OlympicSharpshooter November 26th, 2011
OzzyApu July 14th, 2009
Rippingheadache July 25th, 2011
SlowlyWeRot666 May 18th, 2009
UnchainTheWolves December 8th, 2007
UncleMeat May 5th, 2009
__Ziltoid__ July 22nd, 2010
asmox November 15th, 2006
autothrall January 13th, 2011
autothrall January 13th, 2011
autothrall April 10th, 2013
autothrall April 11th, 2013
autothrall April 12th, 2013
bitterman September 4th, 2013
demigod93 June 4th, 2010
harvestman August 20th, 2008
hexen April 5th, 2013
lord_ghengis July 20th, 2013
orphy August 27th, 2004
ozzeh April 27th, 2007
ozzeh April 29th, 2007
psychosisholocausto April 4th, 2013
psychosisholocausto July 28th, 2013
thainoodles March 29th, 2009
todesengel89 August 31st, 2013
transientblur March 30th, 2004
wEEman33 July 8th, 2004

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just noticed, it's sorting the usernames that start with capital letters separately from usernames that start with lowercase letters. Is there any way to fix that?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:54 am 

If I change the category of a report assigned to someone else, the assignment always goes to me when it shouldn't. Here are a couple of examples of that:

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/435227
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/442975

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:33 pm 

Why does an 'On Hold' band show up on an artist's active bands tab. If the group is on hold and not performing/recording, it doesn't really qualify as 'active', does it?

BastardHead wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:12 pm 

For boxed sets: the "disc notes" field shows up as "lyrics" on "update history" pages (completely understandable why, since they are the same field, more or less).

And I think it should say "album length" or perhaps "disc length" instead of "song length" as well, naturally, considering what a box set is. :D

You'll love this horrible excuse for a visual aid which shows my suggestions ... :P

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:25 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Why does an 'On Hold' band show up on an artist's active bands tab. If the group is on hold and not performing/recording, it doesn't really qualify as 'active', does it?

A (somewhat related) thing to add to that about on hold bands: When the "main" section of a band page hasn't been updated since before the new multiple year range feature was implemented, their "years active" will show up as "[year]-?" while pages that have been recently updated will show "[year]-present". So, basically, adding activity periods (which happens automatically when updating the main section of a band page) changes the question mark into "present".

Was that intentional? I think that since they're not exactly active, defaulting to a question mark (and thus not having to manually approximate a year with a tilde) makes more sense to me than "present". *shrug*

Examples to (hopefully) avoid confusion with my post:

Year to question mark (un-edited post feature implementation):
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Abs ... grace/5126
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/A_T ... 3540348773
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aavas/93688
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/A_S ... elow/45002
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Abrania/38476

Year to present (edited post feature implementation):
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Arch_Rival/9031
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/A_Limine/41054
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Absemia/3613
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Aby ... tual/38968
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Agonistica/129064

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:25 am 

What's going on with this album page? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ac ... bs_reviews

The page says there are two reviews and takes the other one into account for the average, but the other review is nowhere to be found.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 am 

Cache cleared, problem solved.

legacy4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:36 am 

The problem remains with the advanced search for albums - if you select all the countries with multi-selection feature and choose any type of release, the issuance of search results strays - the type of release is lost, and countries became chosen only to Heard and McDonald Islands. In the end, no search result is issued. How does it look, you can see here.

This problem remains the same in Chrome, Firefox and IE.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:24 am 

I feel like it has been asked before, but why won't the alphabetical band and label lists let you view entries that start with non-numerical symbols, or non-English letters?

BastardHead wrote:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:31 am 

Normally when an artist page is auto-reported as an orphan, I am able to delete it outright. However, if that page has an unlisted band, it's still reported as an orphan but I'm unable to delete it until I remove the unlisted band. Weird.

Check it out.

Actually a screesnhot would probably help since mods can always delete pages no matter what ...

Now, as you can see, the auto-report was from another user. I have no clue if this bug would occur for any "orphans" that I would create myself since I've yet to delete any of these kinds before. Er, if I have, maybe I was able to delete them during the initial "Would you like to delete this artist?" (or whatever it says) message. If the owners permit it, I'd be more than willing to create a test page, give it a fake unlisted band, and then see if I'm able to kill it.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:21 am 

There is an error with one of Wandersword's albums. If you click on the review it says that there are no reviews for the album and no review appears.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wan ... 3540356858

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:02 am 

VariedTastes wrote:
There is an error with one of Wandersword's albums. If you click on the review it says that there are no reviews for the album and no review appears.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wan ... 3540356858

Perhaps the review was deleted. I've cleared the cache and there's no link to it anymore.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 am 

(Sorry, if I get a little rambly/convoluted. Long day)

Hm, Two for Two for Wandersword. Short story bedhind it. Was trying to add the new vocalist and had to change some dates around. While the memebrs said they were at 2005, the year formed date was at 2006. I didn't see that so I had to change some dates from 2005 to 2006 multiple times. Somehow, it made it so one of the band members have 6 repeating values of lead vocalist roll of 2006-2010 and 2012-2013. I deleted the repeating vocalist entries. Though this leads to the problem of the correlation between member years and band years if the band year changes.

Can't really post a suggestion other than some potential problems with dealing with member years if the band formation year changes so the members are playing before the band was formed.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am 

not that it really matters(?)

but, when you add a band, there is a section for submission notes:
Quote:
Submission notes:
(Only visible to moderators.)

however, anyone can view the submission notes while the band is in the queue and even after the band has been accepted, just by looking in the mod history (at least i can, both logged in and out).

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 am 

BC_Blade wrote:
however, anyone can view the submission notes while the band is in the queue and even after the band has been accepted, just by looking in the mod history (at least i can, both logged in and out).

That's only if the notes had been edited by either you or a mod. If the notes had only been entered during the initial submission of the band (and never edited), then only you and the mods can see them. Well, you only until the band is approved, after which only the mods can view them.

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:27 am 

Obscurum wrote:
BC_Blade wrote:

That's only if the notes had been edited by either you or a mod. If the notes had only been entered during the initial submission of the band (and never edited), then only you and the mods can see them. Well, you only until the band is approved, after which only the mods can view them.
just 2 examples:
http://tinypic.com/r/xnsrdl/5
http://tinypic.com/r/1zbzak1/5

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:39 am 

Both of those are edits. In the first case the user had just not written anything during the initial submission (the very first page when you add a new band) and just edited it afterwards, prior to submitting. Here's an example of a band I added where I never edited the sub. notes and subsequently we can't see them in the update history:
http://www.metal-archives.com/history/v ... 3540369993

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 am 

Ok, Gotcha

Fulgurius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 am 

Well, in theory, they should be visible to mods only. Webmasters should take a look.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 am 

I think I've mentioned this to HellBlazer already, but things sometimes move slowly.

BC_Blade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 am 

is there a way to fix this:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fu ... tabs_notes
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fu ... abs_lineup

The band released a split with their own side project. Is there anyway to have the line-up on the album page correctly reflect this, or just leave it in the additional notes?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 am 

Nope, though a fix has been requested.

Gelordum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:12 pm 

VKontakte is completely incorrect title for that site (it's only a transliteration from Russian title ВКонтакте). Correct international title is VK.

You can see that simply by visiting vk.com or check this screenshot:
Spoiler: show

curtis1567
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:51 am 

Is it possible to add an option to indicate that an album is in digital format besides stating so in the Notes section?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:19 am 

curtis1567 wrote:
Is it possible to add an option to indicate that an album is in digital format besides stating so in the Notes section?

No. The closest thing to that right now is a feature that mods can use to mark a band as having been accepted to the Archives based on a digital release (though this isn't publicly disclosed and is only visible to moderators). This will almost certainly be integrated into the database once the update allowing multiple releases/pressings of the same album is integrated; however, as far as I know, you shouldn't expect to see such an update any time in the near-future.

curtis1567
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 am 

Got it. Thank you for the detailed response, MutantClannfear! :)

curtis1567
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 pm 

Oh, I do believe my first post wasn't clear enough. I apologise for the misconception. I meant for Collection purposes, i.e. if it is possible for a user to mark that an album is in digital format in his collection without saying so in the Notes section. Then the Collection page can be separated into four tabs: "All", which displays everything in the user's collection i.e. the full album collection; "Physical", which displays only physical copies that the user owns (e.g. CD, tape); "Digital", which only displays digital copies (e.g. MP3s or perhaps AACs for audiophiles) and the existing "Wanted list" tab. I think this will make trading much easier; interested parties would be able to find what they wanted quickly. Thank you! :)

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 am 

curtis1567 wrote:
Oh, I do believe my first post wasn't clear enough. I apologise for the misconception. I meant for Collection purposes, i.e. if it is possible for a user to mark that an album is in digital format in his collection without saying so in the Notes section. Then the Collection page can be separated into four tabs: "All", which displays everything in the user's collection i.e. the full album collection; "Physical", which displays only physical copies that the user owns (e.g. CD, tape); "Digital", which only displays digital copies (e.g. MP3s or perhaps AACs for audiophiles) and the existing "Wanted list" tab. I think this will make trading much easier; interested parties would be able to find what they wanted quickly. Thank you! :)

Ah, I see. I don't know if that's a planned feature or not, but I personally wouldn't count on it.

curtis1567
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:44 am 

Do you reckon it'd be a useful feature to have?

dantes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:50 pm 

Quote:
once the update allowing multiple releases/pressings of the same album is integrated

Mind giving more details about this?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 65  Next