Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:46 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Maybe HB or Morri could better shed light. ;)

Well, it's like this... I changed the colors. Sorry to disturb you all.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 am 

Image...

YOU MONSTER!

Seriously though, this is really rustling my Jimmies. :oh shit: plz dun leave it lyk dis HB. :(

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 am 

Yeah, the old colours were much easier on the eyes.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:35 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
Alhadis wrote:
Maybe HB or Morri could better shed light. ;)

Well, it's like this... I changed the colors. Sorry to disturb you all.

:lol:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 pm 

Seriously? What's the problem now? It's a super tiny change...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:01 pm 

I found it inconsistent, since the forum doesn't have this change. The old one looks better, anyway, but I'm not a mod.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:05 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Image...

YOU MONSTER!

Seriously though, this is really rustling my Jimmies. :oh shit: plz dun leave it lyk dis HB. :(

AUTISM ALERT!!!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:19 pm 

^^

Haha!

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 pm 

It's bad design... :ugh: The previous colour scheme was using a very consistent palette of colours (#82585A) and all of a sudden, you've broken the consistency by introducing two new colours that don't appear anywhere else in the theme. :( Major design faux pas.

Metantoine wrote:
AUTISM ALERT!!!

You know what's thinner than the line between stoner rock and stoner metal? :p The line between autism and being a perfectionist graphic designer. :lol:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

I think I agree with Al, Porman and others. I prefer the previous color scheme, honestly.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:08 pm 

The green links don't bother me, but the new colour of the unclicked links feels really harsh on my eyes.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm 

....Green?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm 

Is it grey, then? :scratch: Looks sort of like a faded green compared to the other link colour.

Whatever colour the links turn after you've clicked them, then. :P

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 pm 

It's grey, yeah, but it looks kinda green to me too. :confused:

Either way, I hate it... :ugh:

Echon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:52 am 

I also prefer the old colours where visited and unvisited were identical.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:04 am 

See? Everybody wants 'em changed back to the way they were... (go figure!) :(

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am 

I find the differing link colours quite useful, actually. It's not exactly like we're a pioneering site in that regard, so I really don't see the problem, to be honest. If people find the colours too bright/harsh/differing/etc... maybe tone 'em down a bit?

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:24 am 

I was quite astonished about the new colours, but I don't have any problems. I suppose I will explore all advantages and inconveniences later. Actually it's a neutral change for me so far.

When I did capitalization updates an the Whorehouse Massacre page, I've been confronted with something else, maybe a bug.
When clicking the links to the first 4 demos before the full length release the release dates of each were visible, on the editing process the month field was blank, the day 02 and 03 for example were entered. Maybe somebody mixed up day and month.
I entered December like has been readable before, it looks rather unlogical, releasing one demo just the after the demo before was released. The modification history doesn't point out my release date change, so if anybody feels free to contact me about this issue, just do it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
It's grey, yeah, but it looks kinda green to me too. :confused:

Either way, I hate it... :ugh:

It's obviously grey. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you and MalignantThrone this, but you two are obviously colourblind or have a failing monitor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. ;)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 am 

Morrigan wrote:
... but you two are obviously colourblind or have a failing monitor.

I actually AM colourblind. Image In the green/yellow spectra, no less. :D

I DO often wonder about my monitor's colour settings, though. :grumble:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:09 am 

Soooo you admit to being colourblind, but you bitch about the colours and we should listen to what you say about colours...? Yeah, I don't think so. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 am 

If there are a bunch of visited links by themselves, then yeah, they look grey. But contrasted with a bunch of unclicked reddish-brown (or whatever the hell you want to call it) links, they have a very faint afterimage that makes them appear green. *shrug* I'm not colourblind, that's just how it is...

But I'm not taking issue with that at all - I like it, in fact. I simply said that the new colour for unvisited links contrasts a bit too much against the black background, and it's more uncomfortable to look at compared to the old colour.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am 

It's not surprising that it looks green when surrounded by red... but, it's obviously grey. Although... it does look a bit bluish :P

Well, first it looked a bit strange to me, too. It takes a while to get used to. But it kinda fits the design of the website though. I'd say the new colours should stay.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm 

Sorry to be a bother again, but I've run into another case where I was unable to input a review, this time for Bolt Thrower's 'For Victory', on February 5th. When attempting to self-submit I'm running into the orange warnings:

"Please enter a review title. It can be a brief summary of your review.

Please enter a valid rating for your review, a number between 0 and 100.

Please enter your review content!"

Same thing that happened a few months back, which Morrigan quickly fixed. My earlier submissions that day had gone through without a hitch. I've included the review text in the spoiler if that will help.

Spoiler: show
Title: 'Soldiers and sunsets' Rating: 80

...For Victory's biggest issue was that it had very little to offer beyond what Bolt Thrower had accomplished, so its focus turned towards the production values of the instruments and vocals. Admittedly, they did achieve a sleeker, more accessible sound than records like The IVth Crusade or Realm of Chaos, but I can recall having only a lukewarm reception upon its release. One that has grown slightly more positive down through the years, but if I'm ever seeking my fix of the group's seminal warmetal, this is never the album I'm going to reach for above others. Even the cover image seem a little lackluster by comparison to the prior efforts, their first to veer away from more eye popping artwork; but to be fair, the photo of British soldiers during the Falklands War of the early 80s has some internal meaning to the band, as was mentioned on the "Through the Ages" outro on The IVth Crusade.

As an introduction to the band's style, a 'my first Bolt Thrower record', ...For Victory certainly functions as a gateway to their superior, past works. The melodies here are monumental, threaded with a worldliness far brighter than the oppressive din of a record like Realm of Chaos. The considerable amount of grooving chords cut further into the higher strings, and as a result they feel friendly and fulfilling, perhaps not entirely above a few hints of influence from the eminent trends of the early through mid 90s like grunge and groove metal. It's surely a modernization of The IVth Crusade, but they'd abandoned that grim, gnarled fuzz in the rhythm guitar for something up to the standards of evolving studio production. I've had several acquaintances who consider this the best 'sounding' of the Bolt Thrower catalog, and judging by the criteria they used, I could not wholly disagree. The drums, for one, sound absolutely riveting, in no way dominated by the guitar tone; while Karl Willett's vocals are sauced in more effects than on the earlier albums, which lend them a more professional atmosphere. Jo Bench's bass playing wasn't quite a step beyond what she'd produced in the past, but her tone here pops along more noticeably, most of her lines wholesome even when following the rhythm guitar precisely. Leads, too, are dramatically more melodic and emotional here, some of their best.

In terms of songwriting, I'd say there were three absolute killers among this selection, like "Graven Image" and "Armageddon Bound" with their slightly more complex guitar grooves that very carefully balance the higher, searing melodies with the swaggering muscle of the grooves. "...For Victory" itself is hands down one of my favorite Bolt Thrower songs, with a superb if simple lead sequence and an air of majestic desperation in its sum atmosphere. Once I think past this trio, though, the remainder of the album fits all too snugly into the 'It's Been Done' category, and many of the chord progressions and melodies seem like underwhelming mirrors to those I've already mentioned. ...For Victory is paced well, and consistent enough that you'd rarely need to interrupt a direct 38 minute playthrough, but its most absorbing and unforgettable material could easily be condensed down to an EP worth. Granted, audiophiles might be more inclined to revisit this than the first four albums, because it's certainly the most balanced in instrumentation and the dichotomy of aggression and musicality, but one thing I was really missing here is atmosphere...

...For Victory is similar in lyrical tone to its predecessors, exploring the ramifications of centuries of human conflict in broad, psychological strokes, but this is more suited for the History Channel than the absolute crushing darkness of their old wargaming-inspired concepts. Nothing wrong with that, really, and bands like Hail of Bullets have certainly taken cues from Bolt Thrower's legacy and written some smashing World War themes, but I for one am more privy to the band's more oblique and repulsive material. In other words, I enjoyed the ominous Bolt Thrower considerably more than the glorious Bolt Thrower, even if both poles suit the band's modus operandi. As such, this particular album was never really my favorite, but I'd be lying to ignore its considerable aural qualities. Worth owning, far better than its two successors, and I enjoy it more than the 1991 record War Master, but other than a handful of the tracks, I rarely feel the compulsion to dust it off.

-autothrall
http://www.fromthedustreturned.com

Thanks.

Update: It just happened again on 2/6, when attempting to self-submit a review for Bolt Thrower's 'Mercenary'.

Last edited by autothrall on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm 

I noticed a small bug:
This guy was listed under two different names, one as a past member, the other current, and after I merged the two pages, he's still listed under both past and present when the lineup is viewed through the Members tab ... Viewing the lineup through the Edit button correctly shows the years he was active with the band.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Soooo you admit to being colourblind, but you bitch about the colours and we should listen to what you say about colours...? Yeah, I don't think so. :P

I'm not THAT colourblind that I can't recognise a design flaw, but... yeah, okay. :ugh: Seeing as you guys aren't changing it back, I'm just gonna have to bite the pillow and deal with it. :facepalm:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

I'm not THAT colourblind that I can't recognise a design flaw, but... yeah, okay. :ugh:

This guy doesn't think it's a flaw, why are you insisting your subjective opinion is fact? -_-

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 am 

Subjective it may be, but introducing two different colours into an existing colour scheme - used nowhere else, is poor design. Trust me, ask any seasoned graphic designer. :p
But... hey, like I said, I won't bitch any further over it... your call. ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm 

autothrall wrote:
Update: It just happened again on 2/6, when attempting to self-submit a review for Bolt Thrower's 'Mercenary'.

Grrr, yeah the server tweaks we had were all lost after the crash. Please try again now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:54 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
autothrall wrote:

Grrr, yeah the server tweaks we had were all lost after the crash. Please try again now.

Working fine now, thanks again!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm 

Alhadis: As I recall, when those colors were put on the dev site, a few weren't too fond of them, and I asked for suggestions of better colors. No one replied, so there you have it. :P Many do like having a different visited link color (myself included), and some people in the past have complained that the link color was too dark; those were the reasons for the change. If you want to suggest a better color scheme (for this or anything else, really), you're welcome to do so. We are certainly not designers and never claimed to be.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I found it inconsistent, since the forum doesn't have this change. The old one looks better, anyway, but I'm not a mod.

I agree, it would look a little nicer if it matched the forum link color scheme.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:33 am 

At first I was confused about it, but you know what happened like, a day later? I got used to it. It's fine, is the color of a visited link really worth all this hubbub?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:35 am 

Huh, yeah...I don't even notice any changes at this point, I guess you could say I'm used to it. Sorry for being a whiny bitch about it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:03 am 

I KNEW it had changed and when I asked MalignantThrone if he saw it he called me crazy. My eyes: 1. His: 0. That said, it looks fine. Change is not automatically bad, people.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MalignantThrone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I KNEW it had changed and when I asked MalignantThrone if he saw it he called me crazy. My eyes: 1. His: 0.

What? You said you saw it change once, and that it had later changed again. Which is wrong. :P
Quote:
I dunno man. I noticed it was different a while ago but now it seems differenter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:35 am 

The graying out is new!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 am 

BastardHead wrote:
At first I was confused about it, but you know what happened like, a day later? I got used to it. It's fine, is the color of a visited link really worth all this hubbub?

:lol: it's no biggie, HellBlazer said he was open for suggestions and I thought I'd weigh in.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am 

Morrigan wrote:
autothrall wrote:

Ugh, the orange text just nailed me again when self-submitting for Chaos Synopsis' Art of Killing (though it let me post up a Bolt Thrower review a short while earlier). I keep breaking it, I apologize.

Spoiler: show
Title: 'A rogue's gallery of rippers and reprobates' Rating: 68%

While serial killer themes have been previously enacted by extreme metal acts as diverse as Sigh, Dahmer and Church of Misery, it's great to see that Brazilians Chaos Synopsis have put so much research into the concept of their sophomore Art of Killing. It seems as if they really tried to get into both the heads and histories of each of the murderers they represent here. The footnotes included with the lyrics are helpful, and a number of disparate cultures are represented here, so this can be seen as an examination of sick fucks worldwide (USA, Poland, Japan, Brazil, Ukraine, Colombia, and so forth), which naturally contributes to a broader palette of splatter in terms of the imagery unleashed. I bring this up primarily because it's one of the more compelling components of the record, not that it lacks some inspiration musically, but the riffs and production border more along the familiar.

Branded death/thrash, Chaos Synopsis clearly favors the latter in terms of how they construct the music. The guitar progressions are very punchy and clean in tone, with a lot of mutes and simplistic chord structures that don't exactly break the bank creatively. Occasionally you'll get a evil if understated tremolo lick, as in the bridge to "Vampire of Hanover", and the vocals often accommodate a guttural bark, but the proximity to brutality is tenuous at best. Instead, you've got a spry, choppy selection of guitars redolent of other modern, polished thrash acts like their countrymen Torture Squad, Greece's Suicidal Angels or Germans Cripper. You could reach further back to the hints of Bay Area 80s Slayerisms, moshing potency of Anthrax and S.O.D., or the clinical picking tint of the European greats Destruction or Pestilence, but these aren't so prevalent that the album becomes yet another knockoff. No, they balance enough of their inspirations into a voice of their own, but I feel as if it comes with a cost: the production seems a fraction too sterile for such a savage amusement, and it often detracts from the level of abuse necessary to convey the chaos, pathos and tragedy of these killers and killings.

Granted, bassist/vocalist Jairo does a pretty slick job of capturing the anger and frustration through his blunted ravings, which sound like a street savvy, less raucous hybrid of Max Cavalera and King Fowley; but often burst into more grotesque growls or distorted, narrative samples. However, there's not a lot of inherent melody to his performance, and when the band tears off into a chorus-like sequence, the dynamics rarely differ. The drum mix is decent here, just as loud if not louder than the boxy rhythm guitar, but percussive enough that you can feel the kicks, snares and fills much like a knife being plunged between your ribs. Bass lines are about 50% following the rhythm guitar, and 50% layering in some fills to help break up the banal certainty that often comes with this genre. Leads are efficaciously sporadic, incorporating elements of hard rock and blues against a more surgical technicality; and interestingly, they're not highly drowned in effects, so you're getting a lot of the guitar's natural tone there. Flashy and noodly, but eerily appropriate.

Ultimately, since the focus here is so heavy on the riffs and vocals, the former are called to task to carry the rest of the load, and there just weren't enough that really stuck to me. Tracks like "Rostov Ripper", "Demon Midwife" and "B.T.K. (Blind, Torture, Kill)" are nothing to scoff at, capable of whipping necks into a frenzy, and fists into neighboring faces, in total 80s fashion. But Art of Killing comes up short in its lasting impact. Many of the songs just aren't as sinister as their respective serial killers, and the production is simply too clean to really convey heaviness or emotion. Chaos Synopsis can write their thrash riffs, and they have a solid sense of momentum that in of itself generates some excitement, but beyond that I didn't feel as if the music kept calling me back, like some grotesque snapshots of a murder spree crime scene which I could not look away from out of horror. Seasoned, dynamic and well-scripted, but the record lacked that extra 'oomph' to really drive up the body count.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm 

Not your fault. We tried to fix a remaining glitch left over from the crash, and they undid our changes that fixed your review issues. Very annoying. I'm currently giving a stern talk to our host so they stop undoing each other's changes. I'll let you know as soon as it's fixed...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 65  Next