Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Exhumation54
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 am 

For this split, there was one guy doing the artwork for the whole split (=for both bands). It should be possible to add one misc. staff contributor for the whole release. Could be other things too. Like layout, mixing, mastering and so on...

Lycanthropic Chants * Underground Support * http://www.lycanthropic.de

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 pm 

I agree with this, and find this to be one of the larger headaches that needs to be addressed. Of course it always boils down to how easily this could be implemented concerning the code.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:29 am 

Known issue, but yeah, I couldn't agree more.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:25 pm 

A small bug in the Identifiers field: it is impossible to write a matrix code containing a >, the character disappears after submiting the update.

Example: Danzig - How the Gods Kill
Correct matrix is : "512 270-2 01 >", whereas "512 270-2 01 ", with an ending space, is stored in the DB.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:32 pm 

I suspected that it might have something to do with HTML tagging, but it seems to be disabled for that field (which it rightfully should be). I'll notify HB.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Manalishi69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:45 pm 

To me a minor bug occured during the editing of Faith No More's "Angel Dust" album.
I started with the adding of the 11-track vinyl version, after that I edited the U.S. CD version, which I consider to be the parent release.
There was not much, just the removal of the recording info from the additional notes to the appropriate field and two capitalization edits (tracks 1 and 5).

After I got that, this CD version album appeared on the screen like it was not edited at all, but the time log stamp showed the execution of my work. I closed all pages, shut the computer down and restarted it - Same appearance.

Then I added the 14-track CD version, using the funny looking parent version and on the editing mask everything looked like it should, executed capitalization and recording info in the correct field.

Just open the faith No More page, click on the album "Angel Dust" and tell me if it is a bug or not. Looks funny, when the edit seems to be lost somewhere in space but in fact has been performed...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:28 pm 

When in doubt, clear the cache. That seemed to fix it.

EDIT: I see you don't have the rank to do this, well you can always flag a report or ask.

Last.fm

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:03 am 

A really minor aesthetic bug:
when an instrumental track has some comment, the "Instrumental" tag is a clickable link.
After showing then hiding the comment, the link reverts to "Show lyrics" instead of "instrumental".

my trade list

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:19 am 

Yup, I've seen that. People shouldn't be putting "notes" in the lyrical fields anyway, honestly.

Last.fm

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:34 am 

Another minor aesthetic bug for boxed-set:
take for example this: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Gr ... _Die/35975
Shouldn't the format field display 6 x 12" vinyl (33⅓ RPM) instead of just 12" vinyl (33⅓ RPM)?

my trade list

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 pm 

it would be great if the MA search algorithm took into account the general popularity of the band (only in the case of 100 % matching search terms). For example, the number of reviews could move a band up the search result list. There are currently 2 bands called Marduk on MA and I really don't care for the "other" one and I'm sure very few people do.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 pm 

false_icon wrote:
Another minor aesthetic bug for boxed-set:
take for example this: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Gr ... _Die/35975
Shouldn't the format field display 6 x 12" vinyl (33⅓ RPM) instead of just 12" vinyl (33⅓ RPM)?

Not really a bug, just the way boxed sets are displayed. I agree it could be presented more coherently, but more often than not the issue is on the user's end due to misinterpreting the format altogether.

Last.fm

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 am 

i dunno if this is a software bug or just the wrong info being entered, but on the page for verdunkeln(http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Verdunkeln/43892) their s/t is listed as being released in 2010, even though that first came out in 2005(and that version is listed in the other versions section of the album). seems like the 2010 release has been entered as the primary one or something but i don't know how to change it.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:04 am 

I fixed it. That was somebody entering the wrong info, by the way.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

Mild nitpick: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/by ... /mode/page

On this page, it's impossible to see any diacritical marks over capital letters. The first letter is "Č", but it just looks like "C"... not the most urgent thing in the world to fix, but it does look rather strange.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:36 am 

There is a tricky way to add band members and guests in the line-up even if it is a compilation album. Compilation albums often have line-up described in the booklets. We know that only miscellaneous stuff can be add there but if we mark the album as "full-length", add band members, then change the type to "compilation" - the band members still show up though it is a compilation album. Is it good or is it some kind of bug that should be fixed?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 am 

That's obviously a bug, but Diamhea and me would be all for loosening the lineup restrictions for compilations. It's under consideration. In the meantime, please don't waste your time by exploiting that bug.

Profoundemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:55 pm 

This page is completely broken for me:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bla ... ing/117635

http://i.imgur.com/iJgAwV3.png

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm 

Whoa. Should be fixed now.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 am 

Here are some various minor bugs/suggestions that I've pointed out over the past two years which haven't been addressed one way or the other, if any of the higher-ups are having a lazy day and feel like polishing over the site a bit. :) Most shouldn't be too hard to integrate, I bet.

MalignantThrone wrote:
For the top 100 album stats, only one band is listed when the album in question is a split: http://www.metal-archives.com/stats#Top_100_-_Albums

Look at #56 under Most Wanted, which is a split between Belkètre and Vlad Tepes, but the album is listed as only being by Belkètre.

MutantClannfear wrote:
In regards to Similar Artists, there's a minor inconsistency: when you're on the "Similar Artists" tab (i.e. still connected to the main band page, just clicking on the tab), you can upvote and downvote suggestions without confirmation from the website. However, on the actual "edit" page for the Similar Artists (the one which displays all artists with >0 net total votes), a pop-up asking if you want to confirm your vote appears.

MutantClannfear wrote:
Have you guys considered letting veterans/trusted users/whoever have the ability to *delete* (i.e. not replace, but remove entirely) band logos/photos? I've had a couple of cases where that would've been handy for me (particularly for a case in my band drafts right now where I wanted to remove a picture of myself for one of my own projects), but it's irritating that I basically can't do that without actually finding some other picture to replace it.

Spoiler: show
MutantClannfear wrote:
Why do the website's lists, when sorted alphabetically, have two separate A-Z sections? Look, for example, here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gor ... 24#Reviews

When you sort the reviewers by username, it looks like this:

Quote:
AllPowerToSlaves April 27th, 2006
AllPowerToSlaves June 13th, 2006
Avestriel September 2nd, 2013
BastardHead May 25th, 2013
Bonged July 31st, 2011
Bonged February 13th, 2012
ConorFynes August 23rd, 2011
ConorFynes December 10th, 2011
DEGODRUMMER February 20th, 2010
DarkSurgeon June 14th, 2009
Dark_Mewtwo1 August 15th, 2008
From_Wisdom_To_Mabt January 27th, 2006
HemlockxSociety October 31st, 2005
Idrownfish June 27th, 2010
InfinityX April 28th, 2011
Inflictor_of_Grimness January 13th, 2012
KillerPedrochas November 20th, 2007
MetalThrashingMad August 31st, 2005
MikeyC July 17th, 2008
MutantClannfear September 6th, 2013
OlympicSharpshooter November 26th, 2011
OzzyApu July 14th, 2009
Rippingheadache July 25th, 2011
SlowlyWeRot666 May 18th, 2009
UnchainTheWolves December 8th, 2007
UncleMeat May 5th, 2009
__Ziltoid__ July 22nd, 2010
asmox November 15th, 2006
autothrall January 13th, 2011
autothrall January 13th, 2011
autothrall April 10th, 2013
autothrall April 11th, 2013
autothrall April 12th, 2013
bitterman September 4th, 2013
demigod93 June 4th, 2010
harvestman August 20th, 2008
hexen April 5th, 2013
lord_ghengis July 20th, 2013
orphy August 27th, 2004
ozzeh April 27th, 2007
ozzeh April 29th, 2007
psychosisholocausto April 4th, 2013
psychosisholocausto July 28th, 2013
thainoodles March 29th, 2009
todesengel89 August 31st, 2013
transientblur March 30th, 2004
wEEman33 July 8th, 2004

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just noticed, it's sorting the usernames that start with capital letters separately from usernames that start with lowercase letters. Is there any way to fix that?

MutantClannfear wrote:
Why, on label pages, does the past roster include a field for number of albums released, but the current roster doesn't? That seems like information that would be just as relevant to both categories of bands.

MutantClannfear wrote:
I'm sleepy so I'll make this quick: you guys need to consider setting a max height limit on images so that tall images like the one on this page don't stretch down into the abysses of the Mariana Trench. Surely you must be doing something so that images wider than, say, 200 px are automatically loaded as a thumbnail and don't stretch off the right side of the webpage? Do it for image height too.

MutantClannfear wrote:
Is there anything the admins can do to make sure that right-to-left scripts such as Hebrew and Arabic orient themselves to the right? Seeing things like the lyrics to the second track on this album makes me sad.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm 

I can comment on two:

1.) Deleting band photos/logos. I don't think this really comes up that often in any event. I definitely don't trust veterans enough with something like this. Knights however...I'd say that isn't a problem.

2.) Capping image height. I definitely think this should be implemented. it already resizes the thumbnail (to a degree) when viewing the band page, so the fact that it doesn't take this into account is a bit puzzling. As you said, it takes into account images that are very wide (horizontally) and reorients them accordingly, so I don't understand why it doesn't do the same vertically. Probably because there is no real hard cap concerning free space in that regard, and images/logos are almost always pushing against the main windows of the band page horizontally. Not sure how difficult this would be to code.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:06 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Have you guys considered letting veterans/trusted users/whoever have the ability to *delete* (i.e. not replace, but remove entirely) band logos/photos? I've had a couple of cases where that would've been handy for me (particularly for a case in my band drafts right now where I wanted to remove a picture of myself for one of my own projects), but it's irritating that I basically can't do that without actually finding some other picture to replace it.

I would have no objections to giving Knights this ability.

MutantClannfear wrote:
Why, on label pages, does the past roster include a field for number of albums released, but the current roster doesn't? That seems like information that would be just as relevant to both categories of bands.

Indeed. That might just be an unintentional omission. [wait, doesn't "omission" imply intent? So sorry for the potential oxymoron.]

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 pm 

Alright, HellBlazer was kind enough to expand the image deletion capabilities of Knights to logos and photos.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 pm 

Sweet! Thanks, Azmodes. :)

~Guest 290927
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 am 

Sorry if this has been brought up before. But when an album is re-released under a different title, documented here in MA as a child entry, then we can't find it via album search. E.g. The Blood of My Race is a child entry of the album "Red". However, I can't find via album search.

boblovesmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:26 pm 

Idea: favorite searches for the advanced search page?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:49 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
For the top 100 album stats, only one band is listed when the album in question is a split: http://www.metal-archives.com/stats#Top_100_-_Albums

Look at #56 under Most Wanted, which is a split between Belkètre and Vlad Tepes, but the album is listed as only being by Belkètre.

Fixed, the correct link syntax will appear for split albums. Ironically, you will not see it (I tested locally by increasing the list to 600 entries instead of 100 just to make sure it'd render correctly), because this album appearing in the list was a bug; the two bands on the split made the number of "wanted" being doubled (in reality it's 54 as of today, and not 112 as it was showing).

This allowed me to do a triple fix:
- correct stats being count for splits;
- split album now showing the band links correctly (which you won't see 'cause no splits are currently on those top 100 but hey, if they ever do they'll be good!)
- optimized the stats queries which makes this tab load muuuuuch faster (one query went from 30 seconds to less than a second)

MutantClannfear wrote:
In regards to Similar Artists, there's a minor inconsistency: when you're on the "Similar Artists" tab (i.e. still connected to the main band page, just clicking on the tab), you can upvote and downvote suggestions without confirmation from the website. However, on the actual "edit" page for the Similar Artists (the one which displays all artists with >0 net total votes), a pop-up asking if you want to confirm your vote appears.

Yeah I left that intentionally, I think it's a useful explanation to have on the separate page, and I like having quicker voting without confirmation on the tab.

MutantClannfear wrote:
Why do the website's lists, when sorted alphabetically, have two separate A-Z sections? Look, for example, here: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gor ... 24#Reviews
[...]
EDIT: Wait a minute, I just noticed, it's sorting the usernames that start with capital letters separately from usernames that start with lowercase letters. Is there any way to fix that?

Yeah, this happened a few places. I fixed it on the band page's reviews tab. Let me know if it appears anywhere else.

MutantClannfear wrote:

Current roster also shows bands that are currently signed on the label even if they have no releases out. Whereas past roster is basically the past catalogue. I believe the reason why we are not showing the count was that it greatly affected performance. I might need to revisit this, but that was the reason.

I'll deal with the rest some other day.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:31 pm 

Awesome! :D Much appreciated, Morri. Thanks. :)

MetalordicA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:52 pm 

i downloaded UR addon, i signed up W/ an account & i still cant launch UR addon from my gbox q. if any1 has a solution, please help me. thanx.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:56 am 

Sorting by submission status in My bands seems broken, for me/staffers at least.

Spoiler: show

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:19 pm 

Tried to add a Cassette as an Other version for a band and when I try to add the Side B tracks they list under Side A tracks.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:25 pm 

Have you tried dragging where it says "Side B" upwards?

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:37 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Have you tried dragging where it says "Side B" upwards?

Didn't know that was possible. Thanks.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:01 am 

So after checking the band queue today I noticed this:
http://i.imgur.com/MonPWOW.png

It seems like the other user did not realize that I had submitted the same band as he did.

Can there be a prompt that says that Band X from Country Y is already present in the queue, even if the band was already added as a draft? I think he should have checked ahead just to make sure, but it seems like he is not very active and may not have thought that something like this would happen.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 am 

When adding a new version of the album and changing the catalog number because of a different label I've noticed that it doesn't save only the catalog number I've entered and it appears as previous. Some sort of bug, I guess?

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 am 

A possible bug of the application, i got points without doing any modification.
I was changing the "Alternate spelling" of http://www.metal-archives.com/band/edit/id/77076 and i erase it, but i don't save, a few seconds later i decide to put it again to see before who add it (because isn't true) and then i click on save and then appears a modification like this :
2015-04-29 05:45:41 MasterOfSin Added activity period: 2006-

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:39 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
When adding a new version of the album and changing the catalog number because of a different label I've noticed that it doesn't save only the catalog number I've entered and it appears as previous. Some sort of bug, I guess?

I've never had this happen. Care to elaborate?

MasterOfSin: I've noticed such phenomena under the edit history as well.

Last.fm

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:32 pm 

Diamhea wrote:

MasterOfSin: I've noticed such phenomena under the edit history as well.

Yes, i'm web developer and this things are very common, i make another test and occurs other thing strange.
I try to erase information in more than one field and without save put it again and then save.
it appears has i make a modification http://postimg.org/image/f4emo278p/, but when i go to the modification don't appear the modification http://postimg.org/image/n1208nn1f/.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:11 am 

I stumbled upon a bizarre behaviour:
when searching for "Richard Johnson" in Artists, I get 6 results, including one "Richard Johnson (a.k.a. Richard "Grindfather" Johnson)".
This guy is linked to the bands Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Unholy Grave on the search result page.
When getting on his artist page, there is no mention of Unholy Grave, either in the Active Bands tab or the Guest/Session one.
Is it some server cache issue? Client cache (FF 38) was cleared...

A few suggestions (some may have already been asked):
- advanced search tabs for artists and labels
- When editing / displaying collection, it would be great that split albums are sorted according to the first band on the split. For example, the Intervalle Bizzare / Malignancy split CD (tracks in that order) is listed under Malignancy.

my trade list

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:04 am 

false_icon wrote:
I stumbled upon a bizarre behaviour:
when searching for "Richard Johnson" in Artists, I get 6 results, including one "Richard Johnson (a.k.a. Richard "Grindfather" Johnson)".
This guy is linked to the bands Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Unholy Grave on the search result page.
When getting on his artist page, there is no mention of Unholy Grave, either in the Active Bands tab or the Guest/Session one.
Is it some server cache issue? Client cache (FF 38) was cleared...

It seems that his crediting for the unlisted band The Index on a split release with Unholy Grave results in the site displaying the listed band instead (in search results)? A bug for sure, though according to current policy he shouldn't be added to an unlisted band on a split anyway.

EDIT: k, it was a server cache issue after all. A leftover from when the artist was connected to the listed band for a minute or so after he was first added. Shouldn't happen apparently, HB said he'd look into it. EDIT #2: And fixed. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 65  Next