Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:47 pm 

Does anyone else get annoyed of the long lists of musicians for bands? I feel that those pages would look a lot cleaner if grouped by instrument and then year, rather then just year. Maybe that could be made a profile settings option?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:35 pm 

I agree, I reckon that'd be a much cleaner way to sort information, actually. :)

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:19 am 

I have another idea. Trying to figure out all of those Russian and Japanese bands (for example) and their discographies is such a pain. There should be an option on their page to choose an English translation or again maybe a profile settings option to automatically do so.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:25 am 

... okay, now that's just plain silly. :lol: What's wrong with usin' this helpful little tool? :p

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:44 am 

Can't be bothered. Hahah I mean, it isn't very convieniant. Especially since we used to have them in English before. I don't want to have to use another website to understand this one, y'know?

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 am 

The translations should ideally be in the additional notes for any album whose album title/song titles aren't in English. If they're not, feel free to file a report requesting that someone add them.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am 

Yeah, I know for the most part they are in additional notes, which is okay. But eh, I guess it is a just me thing. I'll be the first to say I told you so, if this ever comes to fruition though. :P

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:17 pm 

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I re-submitted my review for Disembowelment - Trancencence Into The Peripheral some time in January and it is still marked as "pending". Are the mods just busy, or did anything happen to it (bug)?

EDIT: The review got accepted some time ago, so it's no issue anymore :)

Last edited by DreamOfDarkness on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Black_Priest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm 

The site is not functioning properly off-late. Lots of users from India contacted me and told that they were facing problems with the registration procedure. I told Alhadis & Hellblazer about it. I hope thinks are back to normal again!

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 pm 

Suggestion: How about allowing the use of a tilde (~) in lineups years to manually sort them (like with years active) to avoid things like this with Scar?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:34 pm 

That's already been requested by some mods.

legacy4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:24 am 

There is some problem with advanced search for albums. When you searching albums from single country, it's OK. But when you try to search from multi-selection with all selected countries and with one or two countries excluded, there is no search results in the end (waiting them for an hour in three browsers - Chrome, Firefox, IE) and selected option "only full-length" is gone. If ten or less countries selected, search results is successfully provided. I don't know with how many selected countries this trouble begins. Screens:

What we want to do:
Spoiler: show

Example of selection:

How it looks in the end:

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:18 am 

For external links' autocomplete, both Big Cartel and CD Baby should have spaces in them. (BigCartel > Big Cartel; CDBaby > CD Baby).

moterola4
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm 

Have you considered using the median instead of the mean to calculate overall review score? I've seen a fair number of albums where the majority of reviews hold to the 80-100 range, but a couple of 0-20 reviews drag this number down to 50-70. The median would not be subject to these outliers and would be more representative of the general consensus from reviewing users.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 am 

There's a small bug when displaying lyrics for instrumental songs. Some songs are checked for instrumental, but has still lyrics (like a narrator or something). When clicking on "Instrumental" (the same as "Show lyrics" for songs not marked as instrumental) and then hide lyrics it will say "Show lyrics" there, instead of "Instrumental". If these songs are not supposed to be checked for instrumental, then it probably shouldn't be possible to mark a song with lyrics as instrumental, or at least not make it possible to display those lyrics.

Here's an example: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/At ... e_Soul/298

moterola4 wrote:
Have you considered using the median instead of the mean to calculate overall review score? I've seen a fair number of albums where the majority of reviews hold to the 80-100 range, but a couple of 0-20 reviews drag this number down to 50-70. The median would not be subject to these outliers and would be more representative of the general consensus from reviewing users.

I think the reviews would be even more skewed by using the median.

38%, 42%, 45%, 85%, 95% (avg 61%, median 45%)
38%, 42%, 80%, 85%, 95% (avg 68%, median 80%)

Look at how incredibly wrong those median values are based on my made-up review score. I don't know anything about statistics , but I don't think median is very good to represent such small pools.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 am 

Megadeth wrote:
There's a small bug when displaying lyrics for instrumental songs. Some songs are checked for instrumental, but has still lyrics (like a narrator or something). When clicking on "Instrumental" (the same as "Show lyrics" for songs not marked as instrumental) and then hide lyrics it will say "Show lyrics" there, instead of "Instrumental". If these songs are not supposed to be checked for instrumental, then it probably shouldn't be possible to mark a song with lyrics as instrumental, or at least not make it possible to display those lyrics.

Here's an example: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/At ... e_Soul/298

Some instrumental tracks are accompanied with related poetry or other text, I don't see a reason why they should be omitted. The text changing to "Hide lyrics"/"Show lyrics" shouldn't probably happen though.

Megadeth wrote:
moterola4 wrote:

I think the reviews would be even more skewed by using the median.

38%, 42%, 45%, 85%, 95% (avg 61%, median 45%)
38%, 42%, 80%, 85%, 95% (avg 68%, median 80%)

Look at how incredibly wrong those median values are based on my made-up review score. I don't know anything about statistics , but I don't think median is very good to represent such small pools.

Incredibly wrong, you say... In a way I don't understand the fuss about review scores. Why do people look at only them? The score is pretty arbitrary, everyone has a different (seemingly random) system with deciding them. What the reviews are about is the text, and the scores are never going to represent the text properly. One written review is worth a thousand scores. If you see a review and look at the score and see it's 0%, you know someone probably doesn't like the album at all (which is hugely surprising really). Only once you've read the text and have some kind of idea why the reviewer thinks it sucks you know something potentially useful.

Some people even seem to get offended when an album they like has a low score. The whole score thing is so misleading that maybe we'd be better off them? Maybe the scores would be more meaningful there were strict standards regarding them, or something, but at the moment they are pretty random. Anyway, I suppose the scores aren't likely to go, and I do get that it makes sense to give a general idea about the reviews, so would showing the average of the average and the median work? Or both the average and the median, or even some more detailed statistics? Or just boldly emphasizing that the scores are meaningless (no one'd read that, though)? Would a little trouble make fewer people confused?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm 

The review scores are fine, I like that there's no set standards for them as it allows the users to be more "themselves" when writing, and most people fall into either the school system style (90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, et cetera), or the system that droneriot and myself use (<50 = positive, >50 = negative). It's really easy to tell what they think by simply reading the damn reviews.

I'd also like to point out that most people who complain about the scores being "misleading" have, to my knowledge, always been from users saying they unfairly drag the album down, never the other direction. They're usually proponents of the whole "less than 59% equals a failure" thing from their school days as well. To me, this basically means one of two things, either fans of an album who are bummed to see the score lower than they believe it should be, or people who are unable to grasp the idea of people using a different scale to grade. The way I (and most reviewers) look at the average score is that it's pretty arbitrary and not representative of the album as a whole. I mean, for years and years, Skyclad's The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea was the lowest rated of their generally regarded classic era, and it took me a whole one second to look at the reviews and see that it was because there was one lone 8% review dissenting against the general consensus. You know what I did then? Read the review to understand that perspective, and that particular review made it sound like I would like the album anyway.

Basically the complaints almost always stem from ID-10T errors, and the thing the complaints are about isn't something that even matters anyway.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 pm 

Hey thought I'd post this here to see if this is a site error that can be fixed.

Anyone else get off-count reviews since that Nickelback day? I did three reviews for the joke and since the page has been deleted the system on the statistics still considers me having 3 extra reviews. On my profile page, it has the correct amount of reviews written.

The number now is 505 actual written reviews but 508 show up in the stats page.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

Suggestion: Can you make hyperlinks to countries at every label's page? Just as hyperlinks to countries at every artists and band's page.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm 

Ozzy: you're right, that was caused by the band deletion. Apparently the stats didn't filter out reviews from deleted bands. Should be fixed now.

BlackenedZeroth: sure, don't see why not.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm 

A bug? See here where I have Quorthon credited for lyrics, but on his artist page it's not shown. Is it because he was credited posthumously?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 pm 

I cleared the caches for both pages and it's now displaying fine. :)

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 am 

I know that it's been requested before that the option for adding an artist to multiple bands in a split be added to the site. Did that happen at some point and I just missed it?

This split between Antigama and Nyia features artist Szymon Czech being credited for both bands. However, as a test, I tried to amend this split to credit Mike Hrubovcak as providing artwork for both bands on the split instead of only one, but it returned an error message about Hrubovcak already being credited on the release.

So I guess my question is, is the inability to add Mike Hrubovcak twice a bug of a site feature, or is Szymon Czech simply credited to both bands through a fluke?

EDIT: It occurs to me that Szymon Czech is credited to both bands, but never in the same tabs (band members and misc. staff for Nyia, guest/session for Antigama). Perhaps this is a loophole that is allowing him to be credited to each band.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:07 pm 

Szymon Czech is credited under Guest/Session AND Miscellaneous Staff, two separate categories. I know the webmasters are aware of that problem where someone can't be credited under multiple bands on a split, it's probably a lower priority though. You can fill out the lineup part and list them under one band and note that they did it for both bands, add it in the additional notes, or something like that.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:20 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
A bug? See here where I have Quorthon credited for lyrics, but on his artist page it's not shown. Is it because he was credited posthumously?

Btw, composers/lyricists of cover songs aren't supposed to be mentioned in there. They had nothing to do with the making of that album.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:16 pm 

Thank you very much for adding the notes/comments thing on the bookmarks!

killchain
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
aeternus1990 wrote:
Three questions about mentioning the cover songs in the tracklist:

1) If the song originally written by composer, but this composer is not the first performer, who should be mentioned as cover artist: composer or the first performer?
2) If the band covered a classic tune, like Turkish March, can I wrote "Turkish March (Ludwig van Beethoven cover)"?
3) If the band covered well-known song but in their native language, should this song mentioned as a cover?

1) In my opinion, the artist who popularized the song originally should be mentioned. For instance, Children of Bodom made a cover for "Oops, I did it Again", and it is known by everyone as a Britney Spears cover, not a (insert fuckknowswhich composer here) cover"

2) People that perform/record classical music (as a generalisation) are usually not to be considered cover artists. Or have you ever seen "The (random city) Symphony Orchestra proudly presents 'The Four Seasons' and other Vivaldi covers"???

3) Add the name of the song as it appears on the album to the tracklist, and add the mention in additional notes. For instance: "'Rompe la Ley' is a Judas Priest cover for 'Breaking the Law' in Spanish".

I don't know if it's the right place to ask about this, but what is considered correct when writing track listings of full-lengths, EPs etc that include cover songs? I see that many original releases don't explicitly state "Song Title (that-band cover)" and instead only read "Song Title", with the credits being stated somewhere else (example - Agalloch's "Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor" - http://i.imgur.com/BqQtwN4.jpg)
I understand that there are tons of release pages on the archives that actually state "Song Title (that-band cover)" and that this would be a huge task to accomplish, but wouldn't it be better if the original performer/author/composer is rather mentioned in the 'Additional Notes' tab?
I'm asking this because for me (and for many others, I believe) this site is a main source when organizing and adding tags to digital music.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:09 am 

"(XYZ cover)" is the accepted site standard, it should be added even if it's not included on the backcover in that way. Additional details can go in the notes. Personally, I think this is the neatest, most efficient way to go about it.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:10 pm 

Don't know if this has been suggested before, but in the vein of "Similar Artists," how would you feel about a "Influences" and "Influenced" tabs for bands? Users can list which bands/artists influenced specific bands and, conversely, list bands they influenced provided they include links/scans to specific interviews for proof. I'm aware this may cause some issues (Black Sabbath and Judas Priest having overwhelming "Influenced" sections).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:20 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98134

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:05 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98134

Ah, thanks for the link.

Oh well.

Nhb55840
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm 

I created this topic and was told to come here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98811

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 am 

(((...))), or Three Black Dots in the Brackets, don't appear in the search function when searching for the actual name. All searches for (((...))) end up simply redirecting to ... (which has no other pronunciation). Do parenthesis not work with the search function?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 am 

Why isn't it possible to add the total running time of a release? I am suck lazy, and I don't want to write down the lengths of a 20-song CD each until the total running time is determined, but just add the normal running time of the whole CD.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:45 am 

If you're too lazy to add the track lengths... em, too bad, that's not the kind of editing behaviour we want. The total running time is automatically calculated by the single song durations, seems pretty obvious and logical to me. If you can't make that little effort, leave it to someone else.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 am 

It's annoying if you have an vinyl-record (LP or 7") and no running times of the songs anywhere. So I check my clock and calculate like "36:00min" having in mind the time it takes to switch from Side A) to Side B). But ok, I leave that point to others.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:26 am 

Can't you just time every track once?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 am 

peterott wrote:
It's annoying if you have an vinyl-record (LP or 7") and no running times of the songs anywhere. So I check my clock and calculate like "36:00min" having in mind the time it takes to switch from Side A) to Side B). But ok, I leave that point to others.

You can just mention the total duration in the notes in that case. Make it apparent that it's an approximation, though.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 pm 

Bug (?) report for artist pages: When a link is changed into the "unlisted bands" category (from "official", in this case), the "new value" remains blank, rather than saying "unlisted bands", like any other link type would:
2013-05-31 22:14:43

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:28 am 

^Looks fine to me, could you clear your cache and double check that it's a problem? I don't see that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 65  Next