Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 am 

Fixed a while ago.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:33 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Fixed a while ago.

I guess you can fix it again its already back (+ same slowness as yesterday, takes ages to load an artist in line-up)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:28 am 

Not exactly a fix, but a workaround for those of you experiencing the "couldn't find artist" bug:

http://artofalhadis.com/labs/bookmarklet.php?i=3

Press that when adding an artist to a line-up and that'll reveal the field that holds the artist's ID.

Run a search for anything, pick any random artist, and then paste the ID of the missing artist into the field. Fix the alias field and fill in the instruments/roles field, and BOOM - problem should be solved.

NOTE: If you can't find the artist ID, just check your browser's history; it'll be in the artist's page's URL.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 am 

hardly powerful metal archive gods, how do I change the name of a band member? Do I simply edit the name on the artist page? But will this not change the entry in the discography as well? Enlighten me ... a bit ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:19 am 

What do you mean it won't change the entry in the discography?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am 

I'm surprised you don't know how this works. If you change the name on the artist's page, then this will reflect on all bands and albums. If you go to the band's or album's lineup and only change his name there, then this will only show up on that page.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:35 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
If you change the name on the artist's page, then this will reflect on all bands and albums. If you go to the band's or album's lineup and only change his name there, then this will only show up on that page.

Not exactly true. I haven't figured out the system behind this yet, but sometimes when I change the artist name some or all entries retain the old version in the form "as XYZ" (i.e. exactly what happens when you change the alias for specific albums/bands only). This is especially cumbersome when I change things like "Thomas Muller" to "Thomas Müller" and all the entries read "as Thomas Muller" afterwards.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:37 am 

I tried around a bit, but this makes no sense:
Attachment:
11111111111.png

Where is the reference to Ravn now? How is it displayed through the entry at the artist page?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Not exactly true. I haven't figured out the system behind this yet, but sometimes when I change the artist name some or all entries retain the old version in the form "as XYZ" (i.e. exactly what happens when you change the alias for specific albums/bands only). This is especially cumbersome when I change things like "Thomas Muller" to "Thomas Müller" and all the entries read "as Thomas Muller" afterwards.

I've just changed a "Thomas Müller" to "Thomas Muller" and then back to "Thomas Müller". Everything updated without any problem.

Quote:
Where is the reference to Ravn now? How is it displayed through the entry at the artist page?

The reference to Ravn is here. It's listed as his "Artist name/alias". Only mods can change that (I should've mentioned this in my previous post).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:01 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
I've just changed a "Thomas Müller" to "Thomas Muller" and then back to "Thomas Müller". Everything updated without any problem.

Well, I swear that that's happened to me numerous times. I'll take a screenshot if it happens again.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

Well, I swear that that's happened to me numerous times. I'll take a screenshot if it happens again.

I just changed "Ryan Shea" to "Ryan O'Shea":

Sure, when an artist is credited under different aliases it would be annoying if changing his name would also change all those aliases, but in this case it's just not needed as he goes by his "main" name in the one band he is in. (meaning that there was no "as XYZ" before I changed the entry) Note that this wasn't applied to the artist's album role.

EDIT: Strangely enough, I just made another change "George Hamendani" to "George Hamedani" and it worked fine.

Caliginosity
Philosopher of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:23 pm 

I believe i know the reason for that Azmodes. When you add an artist to a page (new or not, doesn't matter), you will see it adds the artist name, then it says "As (blank space)". It automatically adds the artists name again in that blank space. Then the lineup is saved with all the artists names duplicated into that blank space. http://imageshack.us/f/846/testyk.jpg/

So if you go to the artist page, Mike, in this example and change his name to Dave, it will still show his name as Mike under his discography like this: http://imageshack.us/f/507/test2adp.jpg/

To avoid this, everyone should clear the space after each added artist unless they are under an alias ect.

This seems to happen after only the first initial addition of the artist. After you go back to edit a lineup of the band page, the spaces are blank. So when you save the lineup again there is nothing there, and a name change will also be done in the band lineup as well.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:25 am 

Caliginosity wrote:
I believe i know the reason for that Azmodes. When you add an artist to a page (new or not, doesn't matter), you will see it adds the artist name, then it says "As (blank space)". It automatically adds the artists name again in that blank space. Then the lineup is saved with all the artists names duplicated into that blank space. http://imageshack.us/f/846/testyk.jpg/

So if you go to the artist page, Mike, in this example and change his name to Dave, it will still show his name as Mike under his discography like this: http://imageshack.us/f/507/test2adp.jpg/

To avoid this, everyone should clear the space after each added artist unless they are under an alias ect.

This seems to happen after only the first initial addition of the artist. After you go back to edit a lineup of the band page, the spaces are blank. So when you save the lineup again there is nothing there, and a name change will also be done in the band lineup as well.

Yeah, that's it, thanks. I assume this is some kind of glitch. Could we fix this (for when artist name and "entered" alias are the same)? Seems redundant.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:48 am 

The artist index is out again and the updates are slow again (everything was fine yesterday), when you add an artist the "load" at the top is turning around 20-30 seconds before the artist is added and not appearing in the index

:grumble: :crash:

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:43 pm 

*cough* I'll just leave this here...
Alhadis wrote:
Not exactly a fix, but a workaround for those of you experiencing the "couldn't find artist" bug:

http://artofalhadis.com/labs/bookmarklet.php?i=3

Press that when adding an artist to a line-up and that'll reveal the field that holds the artist's ID.

Run a search for anything, pick any random artist, and then paste the ID of the missing artist into the field. Fix the alias field and fill in the instruments/roles field, and BOOM - problem should be solved.

NOTE: If you can't find the artist ID, just check your browser's history; it'll be in the artist's page's URL.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 am 

Haat888 wrote:
The artist index is out again and the updates are slow again (everything was fine yesterday), when you add an artist the "load" at the top is turning around 20-30 seconds before the artist is added and not appearing in the index

It's working now.

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
Haat888 wrote:

It's working now.

:D you can restart it again ;)

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:54 am 

I recently noticed that a lot of users use the profiles of the artists to link them to bands they played in or still play in but those connections can't be seen on the pages and it's quite annoying

last example Dominik Michalke Medecophobic, Wrath being the same as Marauder (Kraden, Bunkerfall, Acid Storm (Deu), that was written by Marauder himself on his profile (I since merged both entries)

Wouldn't it be possible to put a "warning" message appearing on the profiles .... (I guess I saw one warning people that some artists do not want their real names displayed)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:02 pm 

Haat888 wrote:
:D you can restart it again ;)

Ok. :(
Fucking Solr... I'm this close to switching to Sphinx... ugh. It'd take weeks of work though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 am 

It's gonna be hard to realize maybe but could non veteran users (or at least not having 500 points) not be allowed to update line-ups?

V2 is a great tool but with this version now, anyone can do anything and its sometimes a problem

I just updated Luciferian Rites line-up and noticed the bassist Sepulchral was 2x in the line-up, present & past members

He was added some time ago by a 1st user and then readded as Edgar as Luciferian by user Dark_soul_hate13 who is Edgar Moreno aka Luciferian

In v1 non veteran users had no access to line-up (except some moved members to past members when this field was empty or used add notes)

I also noticed ppl added past members without capital letters or adding new members (2011-) but without reporting the members that left the band. Or they create double entries for artists because they can"t f**ing use Google or fb/myspace to see if this member plays/ed in another band

result = total mess

So it might sound arbitrary but limiting the actions of users who have not reached a certain level of points would be a good idea. OK it means more reports, extra work for mods & users who correct the reports but also less shit added.

Also a "warning" message at the top of the page encouraging those new members to use the REPORT BUTTON would be useful as well (like this warning message saying " album xx is a bootleg, do not add it)

Some people seem to ignore or simply don't see this tool

sfg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:20 pm 

[useless bitching removed by admin -- read the original post, dickhead]

Jakko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:27 am 

As suggested it would be good to limit the updates of new members about line-ups

I just corrected Necrosorth page and it was a total mess in current line-up, 4 guitarists, 2 drummers, old members mixed with new members (2011) ... a total chaos

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:48 am 

Yeah, agreed. If a line-up is empty, it should be editable by new users; otherwise, it follows the same rule as editing any other field of info: only Veterans or higher can update it. If a new user wants to fix an incomplete line-up, they can just file a report.

Jakko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Yeah, agreed. If a line-up is empty, it should be editable by new users; otherwise, it follows the same rule as editing any other field of info: only Veterans or higher can update it. If a new user wants to fix an incomplete line-up, they can just file a report.

Even if it's empty we should pay attention because, also in V1, people used empty fields (like past members) either to move members from current line-ups or to add new line-up (or notes)

SO here if past members field is empty, some people might create double entries just to say a current member is past now or add new members since they have no access to the current line-up field

ex: John Gardner - Guitar (2011-) (present) moved (double entry) to past members John Gardner (2011-2012)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 am 

Well, I don't believe limiting user access to fields is going to curb misuse/vandalism. Point whores are always going to find some unused orifice in a band page to satisfy their urge for points. If we make things too airtight against vandalism, it's going to limit the helpfulness of new users (who, mind you, aren't always destructive little snots running around... the majority of them need to be educated).

But by making line-ups editable only by veterans, it'll at least stop twats from sneaking fake/dubious artist entries onto more obscure band entries for the simple sake of gobbling points. E.g., "Robert Smith (Drums, 1982-1983)"

Jakko wrote:
ex: John Gardner - Guitar (2011-) (present) moved (double entry) to past members John Gardner (2011-2012)

Oh man, I'm sick of that guy. :ugh: :lol:

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:46 am 

not sure if this has ever been mentioned, but when you click on and album image (or logo/band photo) it would be really handy to be able to close the lightbox that the image comes up in with the press of a key eg. esc key is usually the standard.

just a little suggestion anyway, its a bit of a hassle having to close it manually (particularly when using a laptop!)

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:47 pm 

The artist index is again bugging, you can restart it :ugh:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:58 pm 

Done.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:11 pm 

http://i39.tinypic.com/5p2y40.jpg should be: Vocals (1996-?, 2001-present)

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:43 pm 

Please post the name of the band.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 am 

Yea sorry, http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wee ... llow/23726

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:17 am 

Zorg85 wrote:

Again ...

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:46 pm 

Haat888 wrote:
Zorg85 wrote:

Again ...

Done.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:41 pm 

GraveWish wrote:

There is no way to fix that. Just get in touch with the band.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am 

I think you guys need to partially remove your chokehold on compilation albums - it has a few flaws that are very glaringly annoying.

For example:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ea ... ion/285507
This album still has two miscellaneous roles (liner notes and CD layout) that can't be added to the Miscellaneous staff due to restrictions on the roles that can be given to people on compilation albums.

Here's another thing - http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Mo ... xes/322821
On the new Morbid Angel remix album, the artists doing the remixes can't be credited - they can't be added as guest/session staff (which is what I do with remix people whenever I see them), and they can't be added to miscellaneous staff because of the restrictions on certain roles.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to free up the guest/session and miscellaneous fields, and put a big bold warning at the top of the album lineup editor telling people not to add the band's studio performing artists to either of those fields?

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 am 

Not sure whether this has already been mentioned but the risk of a redundant post seems more appealing than reading an entire 31 page topic.

I noticed on the Achtung! Records page that there isn't enough space for all the tabs if a report has been submitted: http://i43.tinypic.com/30wnjf5.jpg
Or may be it's just something with my computer or screen: I know very little about PCs and programming &c., so I have no clue what could be the cause or whether it can be fixed. Just thought I'd let you know since it doesn't look right.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:16 am 

I'm thinking "Albums released" can be culled down to simply "Releases"... seems a bit redundant to specify "Albums released", especially when not every release is always an album (full-length).

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 am 

Requested.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm 

I requested this feature twice before and got ignored both times. I don't know if it's not possible or what, but is there any way that we can sort results by each column (i.e. band, album, genre, date) when we do an advanced search? When I do an advanced search, say if I search for Swedish death metal full-lengths from 1990 to 1995, the results are returned in absolutely no order. It makes it difficult to browse the results. The reviews are sortable by album, date, user name and rating. Granted, I don't know the inner workings of a web site like Metal-Archives, but if it's possible to sort the reviews then wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing for advanced search results?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:02 am 

Requested.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 65  Next