Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:10 pm 

Cache issue.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:37 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Invisvm/Pure_Demoniac_Blessing/275334

There is no display of the releases later or prior to this one; in regard to Invisvm. This would be the sole release for Luciferi Glorium.

The same thing is happening over at http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... oth/321658

Appears that it's an issue with splits that have a participant with no other releases. That split is the only entry on the site for Meth Tooth, but the site should be linking to both former and later releases by Festerfuck.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

spguest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:32 am 

Hello.

I would like to address a message to the people that made the website and can still control it. I really hope they read it and take it seriously.

Your website is meant to be a database and it is, it's nicely done, good job. But why not make it a database in which you can cross reference literary anything? I assume it doesn't take a lot of extra coding to do that does it?

What I mean is that we should be able to search through all the bands on the website based on multiple caracteristics like country, genre, simultaneously. We can do most of that, but some properties are separated from the others. For example, and this is really the thing that actually bothers me, the ratings and genre pages are separate.

I really need to be able to crossreference genre, country and RATINGS! There's 1000s of bands here, they can't possibly all be good. But the "Browse Reviews" page just lists ALL bands. That is also a very cumbersome way of navigating the thousands of metal bands.

If the "Browse Reviews" page just had a column with genre, and maybe even a another one with country, it would make this website the #1 go to place for discovering new metal bands. Again, I assume this doesn't take a lot of extra coding.

Or the genre and country page can have a ratings column.

Please, can you make this happen? Thank you.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 pm 

Is there no way at all to dictate what orders albums are listed in on a band's discography? With the addition of Buckethead and his trend of releasing multiple volumes of his Pikes series on the same day, the albums are simply showing up in a jumbled, random order.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 pm 

k, Morri changed the sorting method to include the release title, so the numbering of the albums should help in that regard (except 10 coming before 8 now, still looking into that...), but it seems some albums were simply released out of order?

Please let us know if the changed sorting priority causes any trouble elsewhere.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:35 pm 

Buckethead didn't release all the pikes in order - I've got the original release date on all of the pikes now and apart from two or three sets released on the same day, the order is the order. With the pikes, he tends to record and then feel like something else deserves to come out first but doesn't really renumber them. Odd looking order but for the most part, it's right now.

RunningWild_AT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:33 pm 

There´s a minor bug when release type is preset as "Boxed set" (example).
Both commands <Add 1 disc> and <Add multiple discs> actually do add tracks.
There´s no regular way to add a new disc, although the work-around by temporarily changing the type works fine ;-)

Btw: What actually is the definition for "Boxed set"?
  • Let´s say, there´s a regular 7" Single release. And there´s another Edition, where the Songs from the single additionally come as CD possibly with bonus tracks, and other bonus shit (e.g. a bag, a patch … and stones(?!) - yes Avantgarde Music does this, ha).
  • Is this subversion supposed to stay a "Single" or to become a "Boxed set" then? - Or is "Boxed set" meant literally (only if packaged within a box)?
    See there for examples: (1), (2).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:36 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/content/h ... tab_adding
Quote:
For boxed sets, you will not have to enter the tracklisting, but rather, the name of each disc, and their total playing time (optional as always). In place of the lyrics field, you can add notes about each disc (including the tracklisting, if the disc has some special tracks). Note that boxed sets should apply to bundles of previously released albums, and not special multi-disc compilations with assorted tracks that happen to be released in a box. E.g. this is a valid boxed set, but this is not.

In other words: you're doing it wrong. Boxed set use the fields normally reserved for tracks FOR the discs. It's not a bug.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm 

Hi, I already posted this issue that I would classify as a minor inconsistency in the FFA thread, but of course that's the totally wrong place for such things.

Quote:
Judging by the number of reviews, Dream Death and Seventh Angel are the most popular Doom/Thrash bands around. I will check them out. On the other hand, I used the search terms "doom*thrash" and "thrash*doom" on the genre field and Celtic Frost SHOULD have shown up using this term. It appears that certain characters break the wildcard function, because Celtic Frost's genre is listed as "Thrash/Death/Black Metal (early), Gothic/Doom Metal (later)". Searching for "thrash*death*black" returns a result that contains Celtic Frost, whereas searching for "thrash*death*black*early" returns no results at all. I guess the parantheses are the problem here.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 8/show/all

This comes as an issue related to the multiple versions update. A guitarist for Band A recorded on their first album. He then left the band. Band A has changed its name to Band 5, but has re-released the Band A album under their new name. However, even though our guitarist has never been a member of Band 5, Band 5 is still showing up under his active bands tab because of the re-release.

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ex ... dus/296806

I've tried switching the members listed under Bob Wayne to guest/session musicians, but even though they are listed under the session tab in the back-end/editing window, the still show as band members on the live site.

BastardHead wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:46 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Exodus/Bob_Wayne_-_Exodus/296806

I've tried switching the members listed under Bob Wayne to guest/session musicians, but even though they are listed under the session tab in the back-end/editing window, the still show as band members on the live site.

Cleared cache = fixed.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am 

How to add a band-member to two sides of the split?
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/As ... arth/65900
See the additional notes that someone left there,

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:56 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
How to add a band-member to two sides of the split?

As far as I know you can't.

BastardHead wrote:

Trepas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:40 pm 

This is more a question than a feedback, but in same time, it could also be seen as a suggestion.

I just wanted to change the line-up for the reedition version of this release as it did not fit exactly what is write in the booklet: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ne ... od!/429213
However, I noticed that it was impossible without changing the line-up on the original version. The problem is that I don't own the original version, so I don't know if the credits are presented differently or if there is an error. Difference are relatively minors: for example, one member is credited as "Samael Necromancer" in the reissus, but is currently entered as "Ramiro Samael". Also "Loki Antigor Devastator" is credits only for Guitars in the reissus, but is currently credits for Guitar and Backing vocals in the database.

What do you suggest? and do you think it could be a good thing to can change the line-up independently for each versions? but maybe it is to much trouble for a little gain in accuracy...

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:31 pm 

Quick suggestion: http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/To ... ords/23588

Label pages show the number of albums they've release for bands that are no longer signed to the label, but not for bands that are currently signed there. I think it'd be more of a useful tool to have the number counter for currently signed bands as well.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:07 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Alpha_Music/4845
can be questioned that this label has released the output of both bands ...
I have removed one band from this label already (v1Legacy), but how to deal with these?
Post a report?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:58 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Alpha_Music/4845
can be questioned that this label has released the output of both bands ...
I have removed one band from this label already (v1Legacy), but how to deal with these?
Post a report?

Are you asking how to stop those two bands from linking to that label page?

BastardHead wrote:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:35 pm 

It was asked before, but why does a band listed as 'On Hold' show up as an active band on artist and label pages? It seems out of place that a band that isn't performing or recording still shows up as active in multiple parts of the site. Case in point: Epoch.of.Stars. Band went on Hiatus in Feb. 2014. However, it still shows up as an active band on the artist page of it's sole member Tomas Drury, as well as appearing on the active roster of the project's label Dying Sun Records. Is there some reason for this that isn't apparent to the general userbase?

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:42 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The DOB range needs to be lowered because there's now a seven-year-old with an artist profile: http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/J ... ung/532809

Morrigan wrote:
Are you fucking kidding me... ugh. "Fixed".

Please do the same with Harry Patch http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/H ... tch/308064
He was born on 17 June 1898 :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 pm 

I've informed Morrigan.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:09 am 

It seems that when a rerelease with a different title from the original release is added as another version, it still gets a separate entry. For example, I added another version, Dootlage Destruëringe (Die Derwaert Gaen En Keeren Niet) for Die Derwaert Gaen En Keeren Niet by Walpurgisnacht. After completing the entry I noticed that it also, automatically, was shown as a separate entry in the main discography. I suspect that this happened because the title of the rerelease is different from the original, but when I consulted the moderators a few months ago about this album (before other versions could be added), this rerelease was not allowed a separate entry because it was deemed just that: a rerelease. So it's rather ironic that the feature that should accommodate rereleases without giving them separate entries, automatically creates a separate entry. And I seem to be unable to change it.

The problem has occurred for Min Kniv as well. Though I haven't added those versions, I chanced upon it and it seems to me as if the two 2011 entries were created due to the capitalization difference with the original release ("Av Aske" instead of "Av aske").

Apologies for the rather confused nature of my post; I hope I've made the issue clear enough.

EDIT: Addition:

Here's Alhadis' response to the Min Kniv report, which clarifies a lot:

Quote:
This appears to be a site issue: when adding a release version with a different title to the original, the "Separate listing?" checkbox is flagged by default. Now, I recently learned this appears to be a moderator-only setting (or at least one restricted by rank), so it would explain why I've seen this twice in the past 24 hours.

Whether the auto-separation is a bug or by design is beyond my current understanding. Will bring this up with the site owners.

I've fixed the "duplicate" demos here in the meantime.

Source: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/489500

Last edited by Duisterling on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 am 

That's all by design, for re-releases with utterly different titles (or under a new band name). As of now, only moderators can edit it. However, I'm beginning to think that it might be a better idea to make the separate listing checkbox a mod-only or Metal freak and above thing, and not automatically triggered by a different title. Especially with people adding "(reissue)" or "(remaster)" to the title sometimes. -_-

Anyway, for now keep on reporting insignificant title changes like the one you mentioned, mods can quickly take care of them.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:38 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Anyway, for now keep on reporting insignificant title changes like the one you mentioned, mods can quickly take care of them.

Will do. Also, see the edit to my previous post.

About Walpurgisnacht: I gather that the new title differs enough to warrant a separate entry?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:43 am 

Ah, so it IS intentional? Well, should the checkbox (even if greyed out) not be made visible to users? Duisterling previously informed me he could see no such setting on the page, which probably exacerbated his confusion...

This way, users who lack editorial privileges might at least know to file a report to have it corrected. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 am 

Well, the checkbox has been discussed and explained in the HQ a couple of times. It was also explained at least once in the site-related tasks forum.

HellBlazer's reasoning behind it was that, ideally, when a title is changed, it's probably something to warrant a separate entry. It only automatically checks the box for regular users, and seeing the box is immaterial as such to them. Only mods can see and modify it (it also doesn't check automatically for them). It was done this way to ensure versions got their separate entries when needed without the chaos that might arise when users try to judge something worthy of a separate listing on their own. Whereas mods should be able to exercise their own reasonable discretion and deal with user reports regarding the box. Though clearly things are once again simpler in theory than in reality...

Walpurgisnacht: The title alone probably wouldn't really justifying this, it's a variation on the original one. But seeing as the re-release is remastered, packed full with new material and a new layout... probably.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:48 am 

Hrm, makes sense I'd say... but I reckon the auto-separation should probably check the title case-sensitively (otherwise, we might have edge cases like this where users erroneously add superfluous entries whilst trying to correct capitalisation mistakes at the same time).

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:09 pm 

It is strange when I search this band: Sent to Destroy, it says no matches found. But this band does exist: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sen ... 3540370995

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:33 am 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:
It is strange when I search this band: Sent to Destroy, it says no matches found. But this band does exist: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sen ... 3540370995

Fixed. Seems to have been a weird indexing issue or something, I just cleared the page's cache. =)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:58 pm 

Ahm, guys?! How come two different Mods accepted my single review? I received two automated emails signalling its acceptance, one from Tony and the other from Christopher. I think I also got points from both!

Bug much?! :scratch:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:04 pm 

My guess is both had the review open and hit "approve" at roughly the same time, the tardier one without refreshing the page. Don't worry about the additional points, I'm confident you can handle them! :P

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 pm 

Oh, alrighty then. :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 pm 

The Devil Doll? I actually had that open in an older tab, presumably before Tony accepted it, and I was doing something else, then I went back to it and accepted it, and realized that it was already farther down on the review page then it should have been. So I did notice something weird, but hey, extra points.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

boblovesmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:44 pm 

boblovesmusic wrote:
So I had a crazy idea that might be cool for the site. An area based search function!

While the city/state/country search feature is awesome, sometimes I want to find out if there are any bands in a radius of say 5 miles or 10 miles or even 20 miles or more. For example, I live in Worcester but I know there are bands that are in the area surrounding Worcester that might not appear under just a Worcester search. It could be connected to Google Maps or whatever so that say you're driving around some random place and you're like "wonder what metal bands are in this area?" you could look it up! Just a thought!

I still think this would be a cool feature! Maybe it's just me (if this is the case, I'll back down) but this could be quite useful!

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:03 am 

what's the reasoning behind sometimes putting reissues of albums as a separate entry on the discography list? like i was looking at the maniac butcher page the other day and was like wait what's this Il Sangue Negro album and it's a reissue of one of their earlier ones but it's listed as though it was a different album. it's not very helpful and pretty misleading.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:20 am 

It's usually for re-releases under a new band name or ones under the same one with (totally) different titles or other notable variations that would warrant a separate appearance immediately apparent in the main discography. They are still technically child entries of the original and connected to them, though. It's pretty straightforward.

If there's any minor variations (ex. "XYZ Special Edition"), please report them.

lunaterra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:26 pm 

A couple days ago I sent a report to have the title of this release changed to its original title: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... B0-/314211

It's been corrected now, but the old title is still showing up on the band members' pages:
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Hyoga/228012
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Chikage/228011
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Misery/228010
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Sui/228009
http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/leda/228014

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:23 pm 

Seems like a cache issue; fixed now.

Last.fm

sfg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 am 

sfg wrote:
[useless bitching removed by admin -- read the original post, dickhead]

Haha, yeah, criticizing the new design is "useless bitching". Of course.
Guess it's another one of those "please let us know what you think, unless you don't like, because that hurts our sensitive feelings and we will delete it".

Well, enjoy your design developed by monkeys with no clue about usability.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 am 

You just quoted an over 2-year-old post, so I doubt anyone has any idea what it was originally about. Feel free to repeat your criticism if it still applies, but if it's really just unhelpful bitching about this or that layout sucking without arguing why it sucks, please don't.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 65  Next