Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:01 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I just came across something concerning the cleaning of legacy lineups. Poseidons Anger's past member Matthew Knight is actually a session vocalist on the latest album. Thing is, I can't clear the past members field unless I first transfer something into it. So I had to enter him regardless, clean the legacy and then delete his role there again. Just letting you know. Also, I don't want to seem like a point whore. ;)

Yeah, that happened to me as well. There is no problem in doing that.

Quote:
There's a bug that makes the "read more" button appear (and the "...") in the additional notes even when the text is short enough and everything's already displayed. I checked it, there are no empty paragraphs.

Reported.

Quote:
It references the old "why was this band rejected" thread here: viewtopic.php?t=39064
While the current one is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

Reported.

Quote:
The label re-released it, but in the label's entry it appears as '0'. The additional notes of the release clears matters up, though. Should the label appear in the label field or should it stay this way until there are multiple versions of the album possible?

Do not add it. Wait until you can add multiple versions.

Quote:
A suggestion: When adding a new artist, could the default value of the gender be set to "male"? In general, only a fracture of members are women and with the "male" standard the process can be made a bit more efficient. Now you have to make a mouse click for both genders, with this method you'd only have to do it for a small percentage. Maybe that sounds lazy and trivial, but I've been inputing many lineups and it adds up. ;)

Seems reasonable.

Quote:
A question about live members: when a live member is featured in the lineup of a live album, should he be instead a band member ?

I'm asking this because live members are not featured in the actual/past members lists when adding artists to a release.

No, you should keep him as a live member.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Quote:
A suggestion: When adding a new artist, could the default value of the gender be set to "male"? In general, only a fracture of members are women and with the "male" standard the process can be made a bit more efficient. Now you have to make a mouse click for both genders, with this method you'd only have to do it for a small percentage. Maybe that sounds lazy and trivial, but I've been inputing many lineups and it adds up. ;)

Seems reasonable.

:lol: You tell that to Phantom or ortab.

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:55 pm 

Is it possible for veterans to fix "legacy splits"?

EDIT: Nevermind.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:28 am 

V.2 Feedback:

When browsing e.g. "bands by country" it would be good to have the option how many bands to be displayed. I wanted to browse Swedish bands and it said 1..100 of 3.265 bands. That function is useless for me. If it is possible to set somewhere "50/100/200/500/all" I would appreciate this very much, cause I go straight for "all" like in v.1

The issue is the same with ebay. I hate browsing a seller's shop with 100 pages and 50 items each. I prefer having 200 auctions per page. And I prefer having all bands at once on the screen.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm 

Haat888 wrote:
Yes still happening, members dont appear, only when "add this tab" is clicked, not before

Is this still happening, by the way? I can't reproduce it...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:40 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Haat888 wrote:
Yes still happening, members dont appear, only when "add this tab" is clicked, not before

Is this still happening, by the way? I can't reproduce it...

Not to me. Never, insofar I could tell. Using FF4.

andres_river_iacc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm 

I have a question. I guess is not correct to add guest/session members as past or current members. But there is some times when I think that at least deserves a tab like "Live musicians" in the main page.

An example: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Cla ... ab_members

Claudio Marciello is the only member, because is a solo project. But otherwise, in all the albums were guest members his three bandmates from Almafuerte (among many others in each album).
Still, in the main page, none of them deserve to appear? With the current structure, you just can see them looking in each album separately.
In v1 the guest members, both past and "currents" (being those who made guest appearence in the last album), were in the main page. I think that could be useful a new tab in main page for this...

If it is not possible.. then, should i add them as past members? or just add them one by one for each album leaving the main page for the current member?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm 

peterott wrote:
When browsing e.g. "bands by country" it would be good to have the option how many bands to be displayed. I wanted to browse Swedish bands and it said 1..100 of 3.265 bands. That function is useless for me. If it is possible to set somewhere "50/100/200/500/all" I would appreciate this very much, cause I go straight for "all" like in v.1

We'll change that in the future.

Quote:
If it is not possible.. then, should i add them as past members? or just add them one by one for each album leaving the main page for the current member?

Add them as a past member if you want.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 am 

Just wanted to let you know that the report sort by type thing is still not working, it sorts them somewhat randomly

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 am 

Dexter_prog wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that the report sort by type thing is still not working, it sorts them somewhat randomly

Works perfectly fine for me.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:18 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Dexter_prog wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean "type", I meant "category"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:31 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 pm 

Yep, it works just fine.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:42 am 

The maximum length for links could probably afford to be bumped.

I was wondering why a merchant link wasn't directing to a set of search results on Those Opposed Records when I noticed it was getting clipped:

http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... 5e&x=0&y=0
http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... 982129b705

I know I can always resort to TinyURL if need be, but I doubt most users are going to check their own links after submitting them (so URLs like these end up becoming useless.)

Also, I hate osCommerce. :durr:

shin0bi272
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:05 am 

I was just browsing through the list of bands by letter in the T's. I went to page 20 and found the band TKO where I had left off in my research. I clicked the back button and the page went back to the list like you'd expect but it was back on page 1. Is this intentional or a bug? It's a little tedious to have to keep going back to the page Im on whenever changing bands on the same page in the list.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 am 

Alhadis wrote:

I was wondering why a merchant link wasn't directing to a set of search results on Those Opposed Records when I noticed it was getting clipped:

http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... 5e&x=0&y=0
http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... 982129b705

I know I can always resort to TinyURL if need be, but I doubt most users are going to check their own links after submitting them (so URLs like these end up becoming useless.)

Also, I hate osCommerce. :durr:

You could just strip the 'osCsid' parts of those links, like this:

http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... rds=Bunget

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:17 pm 

SwarteHeap wrote:
You could just strip the 'osCsid' parts of those links, like this:

http://www.thoseopposedrecords.com/cata ... rds=Bunget

Y'really gotta take every chance you can to sound like an expert, huh...? :lol:

My original point is that some URLs - particularly ones with lengthy URL queries, might exceed the maximum allowed length for links. :durr: And no, not all of them can be downsized by captiously picking through the URL.

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 pm 

What happened with the bold text for band members roles? It was really good when a member played different instruments during different periods of time.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:15 pm 

shin0bi272 wrote:
I was just browsing through the list of bands by letter in the T's. I went to page 20 and found the band TKO where I had left off in my research. I clicked the back button and the page went back to the list like you'd expect but it was back on page 1. Is this intentional or a bug? It's a little tedious to have to keep going back to the page Im on whenever changing bands on the same page in the list.

I'm afraid that's a byproduct of AJAX and can't be countermeasured. Your browser doesn't hit a new page when you go to page 20, so it won't appear on its browsing history.

shin0bi272
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 am 

MMisantropo wrote:
I'm afraid that's a byproduct of AJAX and can't be countermeasured. Your browser doesn't hit a new page when you go to page 20, so it won't appear on its browsing history.

damn cause going through and reading about each band like Im doing is going to take 10x longer now. Thanks for the info though. Thank god Im young LOL

Oh wait didnt you say you were going to add the ability to show all the bands at once in the future? That will fix this issue for me.

SwarteHeap
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:55 am 

MMisantropo wrote:
shin0bi272 wrote:

Not true! If those dang #anchor links worked fully (don't ask me how), the back and forward buttons (and bookmarks, etc.) would work fine. I've brought it up a few times but I think it was considered not a big enough deal.

Alhadis wrote:
Y'really gotta take every chance you can to sound like an expert, huh...? :lol:

Your turn! Though I think you've posted a solution already somewhere...

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:31 am 

SwarteHeap wrote:
Your turn! Though I think you've posted a solution already somewhere...

Way to turn that on my head, Swarte. :lol:

Yeah, the issue is that those pagination buttons aren't links: they're just bits of text that're hooked to a script that loads a different set of results. E.g., there's no "#p=20" in the URL to store the last button the user clicked.

My approach:
1. Replace <span class="paginate_button">5</span> with <a href="#p=5" class="paginate_button">5</a>
2. Modify the function that loads the search query to first check the hash of the document's location (therefore respecting the user's "back" button when going back to a previously opened page of results)

I haven't dug through any JavaScript, so I can't pinpoint exactly what lines need editing and whatnot...

==========

EDIT: Alright, I know this has been suggested before, but could we please maybe think about having a default value for a new artist's gender? :ugh: I just went through and added 50+ session members to this artist's line-up... all of whom were male.

Now, I know one extra click isn't that hard, but when adding that many artists, you tend to feel it. :(

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:36 pm 

searching for "doom:VS" did not produce any results, I searched for "doom:" and got to the bands that had "doom" as a part of their name.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 am 

Alhadis wrote:

Done. Bumped to 200 characters.

Quote:
EDIT: Alright, I know this has been suggested before, but could we please maybe think about having a default value for a new artist's gender? I just went through and added 50+ session members to this artist's line-up... all of whom were male.

Done. We might revert that once the migration is over.

Quote:
searching for "doom:VS" did not produce any results, I searched for "doom:" and got to the bands that had "doom" as a part of their name.

Reported.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:00 am 

Evenfiel wrote:

I already noticed: Thank. You. :D

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:11 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:

I already noticed: Thank. You. :D

Yeah, thanks, that really streamlines the process. ;) But I agree that it should probably be reverted after the main transfer work is over.

I just encountered a strange bug (if it is one). I was adding email addresses for two labels and each time an error "please add a valid address, etc..." popped up. And each time, after I tried again the email was accepted, although I didn't change anything.
Can't really say much about the details here, just added the proper address with @ and all to the field and clicked "save". I was uploading a logo at the same time. (FF4)

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:15 am 

https links are not accepted.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Dexter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:45 am 

I was checking this user's profile because a cd I like is in his trade list and it has a link to some poker site, wtf: http://www.metal-archives.com/users/Dia ... _Vengeance

I don't know if it is spam or if the put the wrong link.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:04 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Yeah, thanks, that really streamlines the process. ;) But I agree that it should probably be reverted after the main transfer work is over.

Something else that'd streamline the process (I think) would be if the state of the "Still active in band/Was a member of the last known line-up?" checkbox was "stickied" so the next time a user goes to add a band for that particular line-up, the status remains to what it was last set to. Generally when I edit a line-up, I go through the legacy line-up top-to-bottom, which means I always find myself hitting the checkbox again and again once I get to Past Members...

Sounds pretty banal, I know. But for old bands with a long list of previous members, it'd probably feel like I was flying. :lol:

(Apologies if this doesn't make sense to anybody else... I've been up to my neck in Korean artist names for the last 24+ hours, so I'm prone to talking crap. :oh shit: )

oneyoudontknow wrote:
https links are not accepted.

Reported. :)

Haat888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm 

There is again this bug with the member index ... members I added don't appear and I can"t link them to other bands

mouritsdebeer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 pm 

Haat888 wrote:
There is again this bug with the member index ... members I added don't appear and I can"t link them to other bands

Same problem here.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:18 pm 

:fuck:
Restarted... HB will really have to look at this, because this is beyond my technical skill level.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:36 pm 

Quote:
Something else that'd streamline the process (I think) would be if the state of the "Still active in band/Was a member of the last known line-up?" checkbox was "stickied" so the next time a user goes to add a band for that particular line-up, the status remains to what it was last set to. Generally when I edit a line-up, I go through the legacy line-up top-to-bottom, which means I always find myself hitting the checkbox again and again once I get to Past Members...

Requested.

headlocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:35 am 

Morrigan wrote:
In other news, there is now a system to clear the legacy lineups -- this is becoming necessary since lineups become outdated quickly and we don't want folks to revert recent changes based on what they see in the legacy lineup. So Veterans, clear away, and non-veterans, please use the "flag for clearing" link whenever you encounter a page with a complete and up-to-date lineup.

Good feature, however four of my requests for cleaning have been closed without any action taken or even a response from a mod (I'd expect at least a note stating, why the request has been discarded), and I just cannot see why exactly:

- http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/316927/
- http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/319246/
(The above are especially straightforward, imho)
- http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/316950/
- http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/316949/
(In these cases some missing bands may be the problem but I still think a complete lineup is a complete lineup)

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 am 

I see one was mine, and I assume it was either a bug or I simply forgot to clear it, after doublechecking?!? I remember checking that band because I listened to music on their myspace.
I'll do it now ( maybe it will be for the second time).

I don't think you should expect mod-notes on every report though, if there is nothing to say really.

headlocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 am 

helvede wrote:
I don't think you should expect mod-notes on every report though, if there is nothing to say really.

Of course I don't expect a reply if there is nothing to say :)
I just wondered if I understood that feature correctly and wanted to make sure I got these few reports right before flagging dozens of other bands. I actually thought about a mod forgetting to clear the links, but then again three of these examples were marked as resolved within twelve minutes by a certain moderator... probably just a bug in the end.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 pm 

It seems that HellKnight is not correctly resolving these reports. I sent him an e-mail asking what's up with that.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:42 pm 

How do you view the years a band was active or inactive?
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:53 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:
How do you view the years a band was active or inactive?

Unless it's written in the additional notes, you don't. That'll change in the future.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:38 am 

This has happened several times to me now. The category appears as changed, even though it stays the same and I didn't do anything except close the report. I might add that this glitch only appeared after I became a mod.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 65  Next