Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Neuthrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 pm 

Hi friends, I'm probably quitting the metal archives because of how the mods treat me. I joined this website in the hope I would make new friends and have TRUE metalheads talk to me about things metal and other various subjects, but all I get is criticism about what I'm doing. I usually post things I have questions about, and still get criticism. For all that I have done, I'm incredibly sorry and was only joking when I do that, I'm sixteen what would you'd expect from a young metalhead, I like messing with people for the fun of it. For all taht were kind enough to me, thank you. I'm still deciding whether or not I should quit, but I needed to absolve myself of my non-adult like actions from this professional forum.

Derigin
Τριβωνιανός

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:28 pm 

Can you tell us how we're unfairly treating you?

Neuthrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 pm 

You reject bands that are actually metal, that have enough evidence to be metal and have valid releases. Plus you guys edit forum posts that I actually was serious about talking about, such as the anti christian one I posted, I'm truly anti Christian and wanted to find out from people their thoughts on it, but some mods edited it and locked it before that could happen.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 pm 

Neuthrone wrote:
I like messing with people for the fun of it.

Me too.

Last.fm

Derigin
Τριβωνιανός

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:48 pm 

Well, with the forums it's always best not to be too brash and assertive, especially when you're new to them. Get to know this place and its community a little. See what topics are acceptable, which ones have been done to death, and which ones tend to thrive. The mods will close threads that are redundant, lack content, or which they know from experience will just crash and burn. Perhaps your thread was one of those. The lesson here, whether you choose to accept it or not, is to not jump into the forums without first getting a sense for what this place is like. You wouldn't expect someone trying to lead your group of high school friends before getting to know them... why would you expect that here?

As for the bands, well, that may be a matter that we just don't see eye-to-eye. Metal Archives has a very specific definition for what's metal and what's not metal. That definition is certainly not universal, and there's many people - even among the mods - that would personally disagree with aspects of it, but, it's a definition that has worked for us. We accept bands if they have at least one predominantly metal release. We define metal as music with a basis in metal riffs. There's a lot of people who think metal just means "harsh" music, or that metal is equivalent to what we here see as "classic rock," "mallcore" or "hardcore punk," but that's just a matter of opinion. With music there is no objectively, scientifically proven right answer. Music is subjective; each individual has their own sense for what qualifies for a certain style of music. It just so happens that, despite some differences, we have a lot of people who see the way this site qualifies what is and isn't metal as generally acceptable. It doesn't make us an authority on metal - unless people personally might think we are - but it does make us credible in our own right. In short, you might personally think a band is metal, but that assessment may not be shared with us. When you submit bands to our site, you must abide by our rules and our definition.

Beyond that, we do require evidence for band submissions. The burden rests on the submitter to prove that their band submission has at least one predominantly metal album released to the public. That usually means that they must provide samples of the music, so we can verify it. That also means that they have to prove that the album has been released and distributed publicly. That's usually just a matter of showing us how it's being distributed.

Neuthrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Well, with the forums it's always best not to be too brash and assertive, especially when you're new to them. Get to know this place and its community a little. See what topics are acceptable, which ones have been done to death, and which ones tend to thrive. The mods will close threads that are redundant, lack content, or which they know from experience will just crash and burn. Perhaps your thread was one of those. The lesson here, whether you choose to accept it or not, is to not jump into the forums without first getting a sense for what this place is like. You wouldn't expect someone trying to lead your group of high school friends before getting to know them... why would you expect that here?

As for the bands, well, that may be a matter that we just don't see eye-to-eye. Metal Archives has a very specific definition for what's metal and what's not metal. That definition is certainly not universal, and there's many people - even among the mods - that would personally disagree with aspects of it, but, it's a definition that has worked for us. We accept bands if they have at least one predominantly metal release. We define metal as music with a basis in metal riffs. There's a lot of people who think metal just means "harsh" music, or that metal is equivalent to what we here see as "classic rock," "mallcore" or "hardcore punk," but that's just a matter of opinion. With music there is no objectively, scientifically proven right answer. Music is subjective; each individual has their own sense for what qualifies for a certain style of music. It just so happens that, despite some differences, we have a lot of people who see the way this site qualifies what is and isn't metal as generally acceptable. It doesn't make us an authority on metal - unless people personally might think we are - but it does make us credible in our own right. In short, you might personally think a band is metal, but that assessment may not be shared with us. When you submit bands to our site, you must abide by our rules and our definition.

Beyond that, we do require evidence for band submissions. The burden rests on the submitter to prove that their band submission has at least one predominantly metal album released to the public. That usually means that they must provide samples of the music, so we can verify it. That also means that they have to prove that the album has been released and distributed publicly. That's usually just a matter of showing us how it's being distributed.

Thanks, that helped friend.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:08 am 

Also, unless you've submitted a band clearly as a joke or are manipulating something to get around a blacklisted band, then don't take a rejection personally. In 99% of cases we are rejecting the band on their own merits, not because YOU submitted them.

My advice - and this is not to be an asshole at all, but grow a thicker skin, bud. I see from your profile that you're in a band - at some point someone will tell you that you suck (I'm not saying that - never heard the band) - are you going to quit because of that? Hopefully, you'll instead think about how to make yourself better. Same here - whatever happened, learn from it and get better.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.