Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidEden666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:11 pm 

It has been all too common on many pages for someone that doesn't actually own the album to submit changes to lyrics based on a SUBJECTIVE basis rather than what is actually written in the CD/LP booklet.

I propose a barcode scanning verification for submissions to show proof of purchase and pictures/scans of said booklets for manual review before a change in lyrics is approved. I fully understand that that is asking a lot of the staff, but did this not start as an accurate archival endeavour?

My current collection is packed away in boxes in a storage unit, but I know most of the songs that I come here for to sing along with (a fair amount of power metal) the lyrics are incorrect compared to the physical lyric booklet. A great current example is just about all of the first four Children of Bodom albums. Someone made subjective lyric changes where they didn't belong.

There should be some sort of system in place to ensure archival integrity.

Edit: With Children of Bodom specifically, I remember placeholders twenty years ago for lyrics stating "Respect this artists decision to not share lyrics" because those lyrics were not in the booklets. Maybe have an "official" lyric submission where proof of purchase and scanning is necessary with an optional tab for "user transcribed".

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:12 pm 

This is an insane ask that's just going to bog down things massively and cause a lot of work for the mods

and what about albums like, say, Dawn's Slaughtersun that are worth tons of money? You want to essentially paywall lyric submissions for albums like that or ones that basically don't exist for sale on the internet?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:21 pm 

MorbidEden666 wrote:
It has been all too common on many pages for someone that doesn't actually own the album to submit changes to lyrics based on a SUBJECTIVE basis rather than what is actually written in the CD/LP booklet.

I propose a barcode scanning verification for submissions to show proof of purchase and pictures/scans of said booklets for manual review before a change in lyrics is approved. I fully understand that that is asking a lot of the staff, but did this not start as an accurate archival endeavour?

My current collection is packed away in boxes in a storage unit, but I know most of the songs that I come here for to sing along with (a fair amount of power metal) the lyrics are incorrect compared to the physical lyric booklet. A great current example is just about all of the first four Children of Bodom albums. Someone made subjective lyric changes where they didn't belong.

There should be some sort of system in place to ensure archival integrity.

Edit: With Children of Bodom specifically, I remember placeholders twenty years ago for lyrics stating "Respect this artists decision to not share lyrics" because those lyrics were not in the booklets. Maybe have an "official" lyric submission where proof of purchase and scanning is necessary with an optional tab for "user transcribed".

If the lyrics never were officially published for an album, they can be reported on a case by case basis. We've dealt with problems like this for early Hypocrisy, Gorgoroth and the like. I did a quick discogs lookup for Follow the Reaper and there's only lyrics printed for three songs.

But the barcode or booklet scanning idea is overkill. There's millions of song entries on this website and policing them all is already a daunting task. It's to be expected that some oversights slip through.

MorbidEden666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
This is an insane ask that's just going to bog down things massively and cause a lot of work for the mods

and what about albums like, say, Dawn's Slaughtersun that are worth tons of money? You want to essentially paywall lyric submissions for albums like that or ones that basically don't exist for sale on the internet?

I clearly stated that it is a big ask, but I never once said that any monetary transaction has to take place.

This website was built to be an ARCHIVE for preservation of data. It is quite literally in the name. What exactly is "insane" about that?

Wilytank wrote:
But the barcode or booklet scanning idea is overkill. There's millions of song entries on this website and policing them all is already a daunting task. It's to be expected that some oversights slip through.

Is it overkill to be accurate, though?

So, absolutely anyone can change or alter lyrics as they please and rewrite the narrative to their own choosing; someone edits a song or entire album to fit their personal views. That's okay?

It may take some real effort to effectively approach it, but it's NOT impossible to do something to preserve factual and accurate data.

Reply to topic