Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 pm 

Nuked recently added Moerae. Three way split between End, Awe and Vacantfield. The bandcamp makes it seem like it is a band.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:00 am 

I've got to ask, why was Rush included? I'm sure there's a good reason, but outside of a handful of songs I've seen them as a hard prog rock band with some metal leanings.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:17 am 

You'll find what you're looking for either by using the search function for this subforum or simply checking the rules, as they are specifically mentioned in there.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm 

After all the will-they-or-won't-they about Xibalba, I have to ask how similar bands made it in without any objection? Namely Disgrace (US) & No Zodiac. I understand Disgrace has the logo & Dan Seagrave artwork, but the music itself is pretty bog standard modern hardcore, albeit with a metallic tone, double bass, and the occasional tremolos. See Downpresser vs Disgrace. They have way more in common with metallic hardcore like Suburban Scum & Harms Way, moreso than any death metal band. No Zodiac is pretty much pure beatdown, again with a more death metal tone and some use of tremolos. See World of Pain vs. No Zodiac. Add some plodding double bass to World of Pain and they could easily be from the same band. And all this is without going into things like lyrics, labels, typical tourmates, etc. Point is, neither of them are are predominately metal no matter how you slice it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:51 pm 

Logo and artwork have nothing to do with whether or not the band is metal. No Zodiac was discussed a fair amount, with some apprehension, but I think in the end we had five mods weigh in and we all agreed that it was metal enough.

I think your examples underscore the difference quite well though. The percussive chords mixed with tremolo in the No Zodiac song? That's death metal riffing. You'll hear the same thing with muted power chord riffs and tremolo lines in Broken Hope. World of Pain is practically the archetype of hardcore chugging riffs and swaggering vocals. Reminds me of something like 25 ta Life or Madball, or a dumbed down Acacia Strain.

I don't know Disgrace that well, but this doesn't sound like a mix of death metal and Integrity-esque hardcore/metalcore to you? Downpressed sounds like sped-up nu-metal mixed with beatdown hardcore. I mean, it honestly sounds like Jumpdafuckup nu-deathcore to me. Consider that being hyperlinked rather than embedded as your trigger warning.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:53 pm 

Can't comment on the other band, but No Zodiac was discussed among 4-5 moderators and eventually admitted as borderline bdm/hardcore. So the apparent lack of objections is not quite how it went down.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:48 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Logo and artwork have nothing to do with whether or not the band is metal. No Zodiac was discussed a fair amount, with some apprehension, but I think in the end we had five mods weigh in and we all agreed that it was metal enough.

I think your examples underscore the difference quite well though. The percussive chords mixed with tremolo in the No Zodiac song? That's death metal riffing. You'll hear the same thing with muted power chord riffs and tremolo lines in Broken Hope. World of Pain is practically the archetype of hardcore chugging riffs and swaggering vocals. Reminds me of something like 25 ta Life or Madball, or a dumbed down Acacia Strain.

Fair enough - I'm not denying that have metal influences, but playing tremolos for 20-30 seconds total and the rest of the song being a breakdown I'm not sure qualifies. Hardcore uses palm muted riffs too, that's not strictly metal.

Quote:
I don't know Disgrace that well, but this doesn't sound like a mix of death metal and Integrity-esque hardcore/metalcore to you? Downpressed sounds like sped-up nu-metal mixed with beatdown hardcore. I mean, it honestly sounds like Jumpdafuckup nu-deathcore to me. Consider that being hyperlinked rather than embedded as your trigger warning.

I mean, sort of? Dudes like Homewrecker pretty clearly mix holy terror hardcore with metal riffing, sounds much closer to both to me. With Disgrace, a song like this sounds pretty jumpafuckup to me. If I can make another comparison, with Skinfather; you have a metal riff over a d-beat, going to a hardcore two step part, back to metal, solo later on, etc. Obviously metal, mixed with hardco. Compare that to either of these Disgrace songs: 1, 2. Both have short metal "sections" that are clearly separated from the meat of the song, which is groovy riffs and stop-start breakdowns. Basically, what I'm saying is that most of the time it seems like "alright, here's a metal part... now let's get back to dancing," if you know what I mean. Overall it strikes me as more a hardcore album with some "metal parts" and lots of little metal flourishes, whereas the similar Skinfather is the inverse.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:29 pm 

I can't comment on Disgrace simply because I've never listened to them, and I was actually unaware that there was ever even a discussion about No Zodiac (or even that they were added in the first place, this is what I get for most of my communication being on the mod forum rather than the chat :P ), but they would've gotten my vote to get in as well based on the new album. It's basically slam death, there's a TON of BDM in there along with the hardcore, enough so that I pretty readily consider that album a BDM album whereas their debut was more beatdown hardcore.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:52 pm 

Nuked Lost Ritual from Italy. Only has one released demo that consists of 4 covers.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:05 am 

Deleted Beer from the US. Pity to nuke such a brilliantly named entry, but it's mostly raw punk.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 am 

My bad: http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/514685

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:19 am 

I'll merge them.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 pm 

Was the U.K. band Atavistic deleted? I'm pretty sure they used to be on here but I don't seen them anymore.

untappd: patrick_g

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 pm 

Blacklist note: Crust / Hardcore
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Blacklist note: Crust / Hardcore

I know the early stuff is definitely hardcore but Vanishing Point isn't metal enough?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:53 pm 

Doesn't seem like they used to be listed: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41608

I can take a look at that album.

Oh, anyway, technically this is a question for this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:57 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Doesn't seem like they used to be listed: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41608

I can take a look at that album.

Oh, anyway, technically this is a question for this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

Oh yeah sorry. I posted here cus I was cheking if they were cleansed.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 pm 

Checked the album and I find myself agreeing with Witcher in that thread. I'd say yes based on 2-3 tracks, but it's mostly crust/hardcore punk.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 pm 

Az,
This: http://hiemsintenebris.bandcamp.com ? Why?
The guitars don't even sound distorted. Feels as though the songs were recorded with an unplugged bass. Or am I just blinded by its stuffiness?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:20 pm 

*shrugs* Horrendous production aside, apart from the short last track it sounded like metal to TUA and me.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:03 am 

Please Antioch, don't make me listen to that again!

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 am 

This band Jagar Tharn (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jagar-Th ... k=timeline) allows to download its albums from different internet sources (like https://yadi.sk/d/SGZ66f68dbn5S, and others - need to scroll down the "timeline"). The style on some of the albums is clear Epic Black Metal, or something in that way. Can it be submitted?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:49 am 

1. Wrong thread.

2. If the links are publicly shared through an official site, yes.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:18 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sangre/55970
I like this guy's album but, I'm most of the album in and I've heard a guitar on only songs 5 and 6 so far considering the actual Sangre songs, and I'm not entirely sure about the last 3 (7 may actually be a Pyrrhon song, the last 2 Destined to Fail songs according to the titles), though the last 3 actually have guitars. Was this included because it's Acid Enema under another name?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:27 pm 

Indeed not metal, deleted.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:05 pm 

I can't find any links online anymore, except for the cache that's left:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=nl

I'd like to add these to the artist's page.
MorbidEngel, if applicable, could you add some useful URL's to the artist's page>links>unlisted bands? Thanks.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:19 pm 

I have a link with the album download but I have zero idea how band or label sanctioned it is Should be OK, it's on the same domain as the D-Trash site on the label page: http://www.lunaticfringe.org/~schizoid/ ... =DTRASH067

It's the same label that released Acid Enema's 2008 compilation though (D-Trash)

Anyway, it's in. It's the only label page on the band itself, and the ambiguous band name comes up with the other bands with the same name on Google

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm 

Az should know. A postscript states that the "recording has been authorized for FREE electronic distribution by DTRASH Records."
Thanks man.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:20 pm 

Anytime :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:58 pm 

You mean the links from the Sangre entry? None of those were valid anyway (or already added to Acid Enema). The download link should be fine.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:49 pm 

Tossed Mikael Bayusik's Shadowcaster.

I have no idea how that was even accepted in the first place. A non-metal ambient "side-project" for a musician who - at the time of the project's creation - was only in an obscure demo-only band and another one of his own solo-projects.

I'm ashamed this has been on the archives for this long.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:33 am 

I edited this one not so long ago, if I'm not mistaken. Thought it was one of the select few that made it on here...... good riddance.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:18 am 

Tossed Perception of Darkness. Mallcore.

Kjetter
Mutineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 pm 

Recycled Stormhimmel.

More than likely nothing but an in-joke.

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:45 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The ... 3540337116

Melodic Rock

And that doesn't suit the side project rule.

" We accept the following non-metal bands in certain cases (these exceptions can be ambiguous and debatable - scroll down for details):

Side-projects of notable metal band members (ex. Pain, Wongraven, Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's)."

Admittedly there is no notable musician in this band.

"Side-project of Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus) and Torsti Spoof (Leverage)."

WHO?

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 pm 

-

Last edited by Antioch on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm 

Yeah we'll look into it.

Besides that, yes, the artist (and also the project if possible) should already be notable among metalheads - ideally on an international scale - before the project is accepted here. The whole "time will be our judge" bullshit is just not cool and totally inaccurate.

Also, Antioch, don't act the mini-mod, please.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Also, Antioch, don't act the mini-mod, please.

A mini-mod? I just gave my opinion, Derigin. Didn't know this thread was strictly for mods.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm 

There's a thread at the top of this forum that answers that question:
Quote:
A "mini-mod" is a regular user who takes it upon themselves to act like a moderator by asserting some non-existent level of authority over other users. The actions of a mini-mod may not necessarily be intentional or even detrimental (for example, if the "mini-mod" is providing correct information), but they are discouraged! This includes users trying to police threads, answering others' queries on behalf of the site's staff, responding to questions directed specifically to moderators, or even just demanding the attention of a moderator in a thread (eg. the so-called whiny vigilante). This type of behaviour from our users is NOT WELCOME.

Threads like this one and the rejected/deleted thread - in particular - exist for users to ask us questions and for us to respond to them; we do not want other users answering those questions OR giving their opinions on them. For example, we'd much rather not have users look at your post above and assume that's our policy. You are a little new to the forums, but for the future please avoid doing that.

If you have any further questions/comments about this policy, it's best to ask in PM and not clutter up this thread anymore.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:04 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morrlah/

Their album Bog is the remixed English version of this album http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/%C ... har/359448 released by Éjfény (sharing 2 members)

Is this valid?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 169  Next