* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:12 am 

Zorg85 wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morrlah/

Their album Bog is the remixed English version of this album http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/%C ... har/359448 released by Éjfény (sharing 2 members)

Is this valid?

hmmm, possibly. A remix alone, probably not, but if the vocals have been re-recorded in English... I'll get back to you about that. Seems Éjfény changed name to Morrlah?

On second thought, this is not really clear about that and the Éjfény FB is still active as well.
Morrlah FB wrote:
As an introduction to the new album scheduled to be released in spring, the remixed English version of the 2012 album is out at last, titled BOG! We chose Morrlah as our name so that our foreign friends can more easily interpret it so from now on you can find us by this name as well. Don’t worry, we’re still the same!

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm 

Andre Gaius wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Magnificent/3540337116

Melodic Rock

And that doesn't suit the side project rule.

" We accept the following non-metal bands in certain cases (these exceptions can be ambiguous and debatable - scroll down for details):

Side-projects of notable metal band members (ex. Pain, Wongraven, Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's)."

Admittedly there is no notable musician in this band.

"Side-project of Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus) and Torsti Spoof (Leverage)."

WHO?

As the one who originally added that band, I'm actually in full agreement with you. :| I honestly barely remember adding them, and have no recollection of how I even heard of them (since I'm not familiar with either of the members' main bands). It's possible somebody e-mailed me the info and suggested they qualified as a side-project purely on the basis of label distribution... and, like many users over the years, I was plagued with a very misinformed/mechanical interpretation of the site's side-project rule. :facepalm: So, yeah, they should most likely be nuked into orbit.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:02 pm 

It's gone.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:39 pm 

Nuked Obduction (Greece), only release was an accidental dupe (maybe due to being misread) of this.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metalmemole
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ado ... ech/125076
There are absolutely no evidences about the existence of this band, even less of their releases.
They appear only in a list of black metal bands which has been copied/pasted in multiple sites (originally taken from metal-archives itself, http://z3.invisionfree.com/TheUnholyAlliance/ar/t2.htm ), but no music, no album, no site, no pics, no reviews... NOTHING :D

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:51 am 

Well, I'm not saying they are beyond scrutiny, but just because the page is relatively empty and little to no info online doesn't automatically mean it's fake. Information that was available at the time may not be anymore. We have to assume that some sort of evidence was provided when they were submitted or else they wouldn't be here. Do you have any specific reason to assume that the page contains incorrect data or are you basing your post solely on the state of their MA page and the lack of online info?

I can ask the guy who added them, since he seems to be still be active on the site.

Metalmemole
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 am 

I finally might have found something, some music sample, there's no album title, as the one in description ( To Weak Eyes It Becomes to That of Weaker Eyes It Shows Fists (Demo, 2007) ), there's just a song title: "Of Weaker Eyes/ Act 1" that of course recalls it.
It must be it, but still, not a solid full tracklist that proves an actual release... it's just an old myspace with 4 songs.
Pretty random. Despite that, no other sources I could find. It would be cool to gather more infos through the guy who added them, of course, I was just trying to fix up the lack of releases.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:20 am 

Deleted Dogpound. Mainly melodic hard rock with heavy production.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cy ... ions/83875

Band's only release is a 4-track demo, three of which are covers. Does it still count as a valid release since the lead track is an original?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:00 am 

I'd say yes, though depends on how "solid" the release is.

EDIT: Disregard.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:36 am 

Hmm, most of the album should be original and not full of covers of other contemporary artists.

If that's the band's only release, it should be tossed.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 pm 

I don't know how active he is, but the submitter of the band appears to be a band member. Perhaps he can shed some light on it.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:55 am 

Nuked. End of Story

Just hard rock with sporadic progressive leanings. Not even close IMO

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:58 pm 

Deleted Alkbottle. Eh, sort of "hard 'n' heavy", but really more hard rock than heavy metal in the end. They probably have a full-length's worth of acceptable material spread across their discography, but not a single album is predominantly heavy metal.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:01 am 

Violet Cold and Void from Azerbaijan. Violet Cold is shoegaze (or "blackgaze") as the artist likes to refer to it. Void has about 20-30 minutes of metal on a 103 minute album... that's not even near predominant enough for acceptance.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:52 pm 

Deleted Reset/Re-set from Portugal (now known as New Mecanica). Nu-metal.

theneuromancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:50 am 

I was wondering why Sólstafir were accepted. As far as I can tell none of their full length albums are black metal, including their debut. Were they accepted based on their first EP alone, or do people really think that their old full length albums were black metal? Their first album has many metal-like moments, but the vocals are not at all black metal and neither are the riffs... overall I would say the album is not metal. Thanks.

--> Old school heavy metal: http://www.madparish.com/

--> Experimental project: https://soundcloud.com/neuromancerwintermute

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:01 am 

theneuromancer wrote:
I was wondering why Sólstafir were accepted. As far as I can tell none of their full length albums are black metal, including their debut. Were they accepted based on their first EP alone, or do people really think that their old full length albums were black metal? Their first album has many metal-like moments, but the vocals are not at all black metal and neither are the riffs... overall I would say the album is not metal. Thanks.

You've never heard Masterpiece of Bitterness? It's a metal album for sure, you should perhaps revisit it. Whether it's black metal or not is irrelevant. It's some sort of progressive post black metal. Even Kold has probably enough metal parts but their earlier releases like Í blóði og anda are definitely acceptable and not even borderline.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 am 

Deleted Unsung. Accepted based on a curt review describing an early demo as thrash; now additional information about the band's post-hardcore/metalcore career (two full-lengths) puts this into perspective, probably not metal enough. Should at least be re-evaluated based on actual samples.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:54 pm 

Deleted Droid (USA). Predominantly hardcore.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am 

Deleted I Hate When Elevator's Door Open Up and a Raptor Appears in Front of Me (yeah, that's the name). Only release so far is a 10-minute digital demo.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 pm 

Metalmemole wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Adonai_Melech/125076
There are absolutely no evidences about the existence of this band, even less of their releases.
They appear only in a list of black metal bands which has been copied/pasted in multiple sites (originally taken from metal-archives itself, http://z3.invisionfree.com/TheUnholyAlliance/ar/t2.htm ), but no music, no album, no site, no pics, no reviews... NOTHING :D

I had been in touch with the band -- or to be more precise with a member of this -- back then and they had promised to send me some stuff over; something that never actually happened. Further inquiries into this band remained unanswered.

I also never received the demo of the other band ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:32 pm 

Dan Stollings, a past member of Entrancemperium, occasionally posts on the forums here, I sent him a PM asking if he has any info about Adonai Melech.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:32 am 

Dismal Creation.

One 3 minute rough track that was limited to 9 CD-Rs. This is just so wrong when it comes to what is acceptable. The fact it's been on the site since 2008 is just sad.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:51 pm 

Deleted Valkyrie (USA) from Cleveland, Ohio. Progressive rock.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Gla ... 3540390059

When I submitted the band it was listed as available but now it is listed as up next, so I'm assuming that was a mistake and it's not out yet:

http://atavisticinsurgence.blogspot.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:18 am 

Gone.

Also: Gral from Romania. No proof that it's metal nor that it released something valid.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:10 pm 

Nuked Daon Life from Japan. Doujin band (Touhou/FFV) that I missed after my initial Doujin purge.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

~Guest 152635
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Il% ... 3540396322

The second track doesn't really have riffs and it's half of the release:
https://psychicviolencerecords.bandcamp ... il-iawinde

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:13 am 

Two same bands:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/vi ... 6/show/all

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 am 

BlackenedZeroth wrote:

Merged.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:57 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Zorg85 wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Morrlah/

Their album Bog is the remixed English version of this album http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/%C ... har/359448 released by Éjfény (sharing 2 members)

Is this valid?

hmmm, possibly. A remix alone, probably not, but if the vocals have been re-recorded in English... I'll get back to you about that. Seems Éjfény changed name to Morrlah?

On second thought, this is not really clear about that and the Éjfény FB is still active as well.
Morrlah FB wrote:
As an introduction to the new album scheduled to be released in spring, the remixed English version of the 2012 album is out at last, titled BOG! We chose Morrlah as our name so that our foreign friends can more easily interpret it so from now on you can find us by this name as well. Don’t worry, we’re still the same!

We decided to delete Morrlah for the time being, until (if ever) they release something that isn't just an English version of an Éjfény release.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:38 am 

Deleted X-Panda. Predominantly progressive rock.

GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 pm 

What makes Lacuna Coil a metal band? I'm just curious. What song or album makes them metal?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:55 pm 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
What makes Lacuna Coil a metal band? I'm just curious. What song or album makes them metal?

Their self-titled EP (1998) is fairly standard gothic metal. Hell, even "In a Reverie" and "Unleashed Memories" sport a ton of metal moments despite the band starting to go for a more mainstream approach. Edit: I wasn't a mod when they were added, so it's speculation my end, but if someone were to add a band based on an album that sounded like the self-titled EP, I would most likely accept it.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:41 am 

To add on to what TSIR stated, Lacuna Coil is a great example of a band that started off playing metal but then switched to non-metal.

It's better to think about this site less as a catalog of "metal bands" and more a catalog of "metal works." We accept all bands that have released at least one predominantly metal album (or "work"). Most bands have multiple metal albums, with many having their entire discography as metal. Naturally people consider these bands as "metal bands." However, that's not always clearly the case with some bands. Sometimes bands start off releasing metal albums, but then switch to releasing non-metal albums. If the band is better known for their non-metal material, such as with Lacuna Coil, people don't instinctively think of the band as a "metal band." Likewise, bands may start out playing non-metal and then switch to metal. If they release a metal album, they're in. So, in other words, it doesn't matter if Lacuna Coil is a "metal band," it only matters if Lacuna Coil released a "metal album."

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 am 

Is there room for one more question? I realize that one album that's borderline (esp. in an arsenal of non-metal releases) isn't qualifying, and what you stated in your previous post can indeed be seen in many additions, even recent ones, like Life of Agony - if I'm not mistaken again. However, my question is about the word "work". Is there a certain length demanded? Could it be a maxi-single, for instance? Many bands have been approved based on a single-sided single, which is all they'd released before they vanished into thin air. Is that only valid for such bands? Or is one single also enough to be considered a separate "work" that earns a band with, say, a non-metal full-length, a place here, given that the single in question is a defining work in the genre ascribed to it? If not, is an EP? Or are such instances handled on a case-by-case basis?

GuiltySpawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
GuiltySpawn wrote:

Their self-titled EP (1998) is fairly standard gothic metal. Hell, even "In a Reverie" and "Unleashed Memories" sport a ton of metal moments despite the band starting to go for a more mainstream approach. Edit: I wasn't a mod when they were added, so it's speculation my end, but if someone were to add a band based on an album that sounded like the self-titled EP, I would most likely accept it.

I don't mean to start an argument or anything, but according to the exact wording of the rules, "Third, for a band to be acceptable, it must have at least one fully, unambiguously metal album". The word fully in bold suggests to me that an EP metal album would not be enough, since it's not a full-length album. I could then argue, that Ratt should be included for their self-titled EP in 1983, which is pretty much a traditional heavy metal album.

You can't tell me this isn't metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONY21aTtno

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm 

GuiltySpawn wrote:
I don't mean to start an argument or anything, but according to the exact wording of the rules, "Third, for a band to be acceptable, it must have at least one fully, unambiguously metal album". The word fully in bold suggests to me that an EP metal album would not be enough, since it's not a full-length album. I could then argue, that Ratt should be included for their self-titled EP in 1983, which is pretty much a traditional heavy metal album.

You can't tell me this isn't metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONY21aTtno

I don't understand your logic using Lacuna Coil as a springboard to champion for the inclusion of Ratt... Either way, one partially metal track does not make a fully acceptable release. The rest of that Ratt EP is cheesy hard rock. It's not acceptable. IMO, Lacuna Coil is acceptable based on "In a Reverie" and "Unleashed Memories", which are full lengths that are metal.

So no, you couldn't argue for Ratt's inclusion (and please don't, we're not accepting them). Lacuna Coil is accepted based on, at the very least, two full length albums that are metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:27 pm 

The word fully is more related to the music than the length of the album, if a band now playing whatever rock released a death/thrash EP, they will be on the site. Like Derigin said, we're more of a collection of metal albums to a certain degree than a collection of bands. If a band has a release we consider to be metal enough, it will be approved.

Why wouldn't a single be a valid release? Plenty of NWOBHM metal bands only released singles before breaking up and that's an important part of metal history. Sure, we have some bands that released some metal and EP singles and then have a fully non metal dicsography but we're not there to judge this, we're here to archive their metal albums.

About Lacuna Coil, their early stuff is definitely gothic metal/rock, even Comalies is probably an acceptable album from what I remember of it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 168  Next