Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:49 pm 

Deleted Thränenkind. Post-rock with harsh vocals.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:02 am 

Helvede wrote:
Sade_Gras wrote:
Hello,

Thine should be evaluated again since the Demo "journeys" is a hell of epic metal release, check here the tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIZrwpMW350, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JVq8IgifUw . a town like this album is a more rock prog influence but we can listen to some metal in it, as for in therapy is not must of a metal album i agree. but just for that amazing demo they made, they deserve to be in metal-archives. in my opinion of course ehehe.

cheers and sorry for the crappy english

Sounds metal to me. But the band was called Blood of Thine at the time of demo, or something? If that's the case I'm for adding the demo version of the band again, but leaving out the Thine years (well, of course with a note in the add. notes).

Apparently they changed name shortly before releasing the demo: http://www.discogs.com/Thine-Journeys/release/4883725
And: http://www.thine-online.co.uk/ (under "History")

I've re-added them, feel free to complete the discography with the non-metal releases: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thine/3540379447

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am 

Intense Mutilation got wacked. Comedy noisegrind/punk, 0 death metal.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 pm 

I'm wondering how the recently accepted band The Skull made it to the site. From their additional notes blurb they appear to be a Trouble cover band made up of former Trouble members.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm 

The single has one original song and a cover. The band will release a full length album this autumn so it's fine for them to be here already.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
The single has one original song and a cover.

My mistake. I read the notes and interpreted that song as it being a Trouble song written by those three members.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 pm 

Brynjard from Sweden has been deleted due to not having a valid release. The band's releases consisted primarily of plagiarized recordings, along with a few covers. More details here: https://web.archive.org/web/20120101162 ... njard.html

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:38 pm 

Deleted Mystirium. Extremely fishy Egyptian project with the members trying to pretend it's a kvlt Norwegian band and about a megaton of other bullshitting surrounding it. Most importantly, no valid releases proven beyond reasonable doubt.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:58 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Intense Mutilation got wacked. Comedy noisegrind/punk, 0 death metal.

NO!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:03 pm 

Go home, Grimmy. You're drunk.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm 

Deleted Sleepy Hollow from Ukraine. No valid release proven, almost definitely a short-lived demo band with only a couple of shoddily recorded tracks for download.

Tueur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:46 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Secretion/42247

Should this band really stay?

First of all, no idea why Drowned added the 1994 demo but Ron did not release nor played on it (so nuke it)

Secondly, the Decay demo seems to be a "bootleg"

Story here http://secretion.zxq.net/Decay.htm

Apparently it was first recorded without him, then he joined the band and added bass parts

" Later in 1997/1998, Ron Holt joined the band and added bass to the original recordings. He has been distributing these copes under the name Secretion Detroit. They are available from Rotting Pus Records which Ron has used to distribute many of his projects such as Demogorgon and World Demise. Soon after Decay was released, the band changed the lyrics and decided to not put any more decay copes out there. Ron left the band and continues to sell copies unofficially"

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm 

^ Don't know anything about this, but those two demos are also listed at the other US Secretion's page. If that Ron guy really sold them seperately, it's definitely not worth a seperate page, because it wouldn't count as a band with it's own original material.

Tueur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm 

Both were released as Secretion from Westland

Drained should not be on Secretion from Detroit's page because it was released in 1994 and Ron only joined in 1997

Decay was originally released but then he joined and the demo was re-recorded with bass, then he left and started selling copies of this demo under a new Secretion band

Rotten Pus also seems to be his label, it released almost all records by his various bands.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Go home, Grimmy. You're drunk.

At least I'm not...Austrian.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 am 

Tueur wrote:
Both were released as Secretion from Westland

Drained should not be on Secretion from Detroit's page because it was released in 1994 and Ron only joined in 1997

Decay was originally released but then he joined and the demo was re-recorded with bass, then he left and started selling copies of this demo under a new Secretion band

Rotten Pus also seems to be his label, it released almost all records by his various bands.

Secretion from Detroit is gone, and add. notes for that particular demo has been updated.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:18 am 

Deleted Svartviken. No proof of release.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm 

Deleted the following:

Worcrow - No proof of a valid release, probably fake.
Misanchristianthropy - No releases, only rehearsals.
Falling Cloud - No release (yet).

Unitron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 pm 

I see the Prog-Metal band Haken is on your site,and even though I think they and Porcupine Tree ARE Prog-Metal.I think that since Porcupine Tree isn't allowed on the site,I don't think Haken should be allowed on the site because of how similar Haken and Porcupine Tree are.

The reasons I was given for Porcupine Tree not being allowed were that they are not consistent enough,so I think same should go for Haken.

Hope you understand :)

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm 

The "Why was Band X accepted, but Band Y wasn't? They sound very much alike!" arguement is not gonna work. Sorry. Each and every band are judged acceptable or not based on their own merits.

Also, I personally think Haken is not Metal and shouldn't be allowed on the site, so yeah, your arguement is even less valid to make us change our minds.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Unitron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 pm 

I said I wasn't wanting to change any minds,I was just asking a question.

Did you not understand what I was saying?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:52 pm 

Haken was deemed metallic enough by a number of our staffers (not me, though) and Porcupine Tree was deemed not metallic enough by a number of our staffers. Both bands were judged based upon their own merits. Simple.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:22 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Clo ... 3540380432

Did this submission come with a photo of a physical copy?

1. There's no purchase button on their Bandcamp, or any other way to buy it as it seems. http://stormspell.bandcamp.com/album/cloven-altar-ep
2. If it's not been released physically, then it's way shorter than what's usually accepted for bands with only digital releases.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:52 pm 

Uh, their Bandcamp page says "Limited 3-track EP CD to be released at the end of April, to give you a taste for what's to come." but there's no proof it has been released. I'll ask the mod who approved the band.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:40 pm 

The band has been deleted for now after TUA talked to the label owner.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:15 pm 

Deleted Angelcoma and Dead White Raven, both because of lack of a valid release.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am 

For the Cloven Altar, I found that Stormspell had a huge delay at the manufacturing plant. All of their planned releases for the end of April are now pushed back to the end of May at the earliest.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 am 

Deleted My Minds Weapon. -core.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 pm 

Deleted:

Elvandar - -core
Arcaica - no valid release, except an apparently digital single on Myspace
Tainted - post-grunge-like stuff

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:01 pm 

Tossed the Czech "Endless." Don't know how it was accepted in the first place.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:35 pm 

Removed Hamartia. Pretty much a perfect example of early '00s New England hardcore/metalcore - aggressive metallic hardcore blended with melodic hardcore while not really having the thrash/melodeath influence of the metal side of metalcore.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:23 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Shihad/3540280913

This band is in the Archives based upon a single metal debut EP out of a 20+-year career playing industrial rock. Considering other bands (e.g. Suicide Silence) are barred from the website despite having metal EPs amongst predominantly non-metal discographies, and considering that this band would be unacceptable if the order of their releases was reversed (20 years of industrial rock followed by a thrash EP), I think this should call into play some sort of unspoken rule of majority wherein the band's identity has proven itself to not be that of a metal-focused band.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:36 am 

We'll look into it, MC.

Deleted Burdens from Australia. The demo-tape was never released, let alone dubbed.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:11 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pic ... 3540323795

See the additional notes on the band and/or demo.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:33 pm 

Deleted Brutalum Necrophalus. Joke band with no release.

Theblackdahliametal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:16 pm 

If the rules say that psychedilic/occult rock is unacceptable, why is Ghost (B.C) accepted?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:19 pm 

Their debut is heavy metal.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:26 pm 

Deleted Gloaming from Hungary. Alternative rock.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:55 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Shihad/3540280913

This band is in the Archives based upon a single metal debut EP out of a 20+-year career playing industrial rock. Considering other bands (e.g. Suicide Silence) are barred from the website despite having metal EPs amongst predominantly non-metal discographies, and considering that this band would be unacceptable if the order of their releases was reversed (20 years of industrial rock followed by a thrash EP), I think this should call into play some sort of unspoken rule of majority wherein the band's identity has proven itself to not be that of a metal-focused band.

I'm going to just re-post something I wrote in the HQ forum a few days ago (in somewhat redacted form), the discussion there seems to have come to a halt anyway and I think mine is not the only opinion among the staff reflected by it:
Azmodes wrote:
@Shihad: First off, I'd be okay with keeping them if those two releases are pretty much undeniably metal (haven't listened). It's not some freak single or short rehearsal, it's a demo and a 20+ minutes EP. Like TUA said, in some ways we list metal releases, not bands. And Shihad has metal releases and there is no reason to leave out the rest. [..] Some say it's a question of proportionality and this does seem sensible to some extent, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that road all the way.

[..]

The heart of the matter is really that time is linear and that the approval process is a one-time thing. We judge (most) bands at a specific point in time and after that the most common/ideal case is for the band never to (have to) be judged again, no matter what they do with their "post-approval" career. Similarly, we cannot review a band's potential unwritten discography/musical direction or otherwise attempt to scry their future shenanigans. Obviously. Take some crusty death metal band with only a short 7'' EP out. They might well change to full-on crust on a full-length and then split up. Who knows, but should we reject them because they seem too much of a risk? That seems silly. What we can reasonably be expected to do, however, time-symmetrically challenged entities that we are, is being careful and restrictive when presented with a band that already has a fair share of non-metal or grey-area output. Should we be lenient with them because of bands where it was the other way round?

Ideally, we'd have a list of bands that were, at the time of approval, either borderline in regards to their musical output or their release(s) containing metal or both. And then periodically go through that list and check if they've somehow become more dubious since. ... Yeah, didn't think so. :P Aye, it's sort of an inherent asymmetry in the way the site handles bands, but I don't really see how we can do much about it except for the cleansing thread and our own chance encounters when browsing the database. Unless someone actually wants to go through bands and check if they only had a rough metal demo and then eight electroswing albums? Or, much worse, played borderline acceptable deathcore on one EP and then maybe-borderline unacceptable deathcore on a full-length? [..]

[..] Anyway, I don't think it's much of a problem and in the end merely another small, effectively unavoidable inconsistency that separates the staff and site policy from a perfect, omniscient Borg collective database. Not too dissimilar from... well, from how we judge what's metal and what's not.

This was originally addressing some earlier posts made by Zodijackyl, BastardHead and theunrelentingattack in the HQ (they're free to re-post those or post new ones here). Mod opinion is basically that you voice a valid concern, MC, but that no one quite knows what should/could be done about it, or whether anything should be done at all. It doesn't look like we're going to delete Shihad any time soon, though.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:13 am 

If the guidelines say that a band might be accepted based on 1 predominantly Metal release, isn't it true that the point in time when that release comes is irrelevant?
Soulfly got accepted for their latest effort and Meshuggah was accepted for their early efforts.
In that case: should it matter that a band has 18 non metal releases when their latest effort is fully metal? Isn't that the thing that counts?
In that case: there are some bands that are blacklisted now that could be added because of this.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 169  Next