Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FueledByHate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm 

delete Einspruch, because this typical RAC, Skinhead Rock with relation to metal
read this: viewtopic.php?p=1846573&sid=9287da982b1f4cffec62c0e61a52b3f5#p1846573

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm 

FueledByHate,

We're not getting rid of Einspruch. You've sent in a dozen reports on this already. Move on.

Zorg85
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:20 am 

Delete Thanatopsus http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thanatopsus/47766

same as Thanatopsis http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thanatopsis/1061

Just a spelling mistake

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:31 am 

Zorg85 wrote:

Done. Thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:13 pm 

Deleted Morkobot. Marginally metal at best, mainly instrumental stoner-ish rock with droning noise and weirdness parts.

MadThrasher888
Freddom Fightah!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 pm 

Derigin wrote:
There are many, many people who would vehemently disagree with you, and state that we're too strict in letting bands in and excluding others.

It might be a surprise, but there really are nearly 80000 metal bands out there. Even though most of them haven't published much, they've still produced and released something "metal." Each of those bands have produced and released a physical release, and have some evidence of distribution; that's part of the guidelines for this site. When bands are accepted to the site, we sometimes ask for samples as proof when no other means is readily available. This is done solely to prove that they are metal. As those samples often are tracks uploaded for the ears of the mods, they are not included in the band's page when it is approved. The fact that a band has nothing online or has chosen not to create a website should not stop their inclusion. The internet, as we know it, only started to become popular for musicians in the last decade. There are plenty of metal bands from the 80s into the 90s that never bothered to use the internet, but instead opted to use zines, distros, or simply word of mouth to give news and distribute albums to fans. We don't discriminate on the lack of internet use.

Your other requests are not reasonable, either. Many bands go on their entire careers without producing a "full-length" album. We are also not responsible for providing samples to users, or for facilitating communication with the band. If a less-known band split-up in 1988, their music is probably in the hands of someone who was a metalhead back then, and whether that person will trade it or make it available through other means is up to him/her. The band members might have moved on, and don't wish to associate themselves with the band. MA is an encyclopedia; we collect info on what has existed. We are not a last.fm, or a myspace, or a facebook.

The thing that irks me is that there are sooooooooo many shitty metal bands in this world and it makes it very difficult for me to find new, good music using this place. If I want to find a random power metal band that I like, I don't want to have to sort through thousands of shitty bands before I find one. And you might not agree with this next statement, but I truly believe that one of the reasons bands get well known is because they are good. Shitty bands are unheard of because they suck. Of course there are exceptions to this but generally I believe that.

But more importantly I consider the "book of heavy metal" to be a very holy text, and I find it quite insulting that all my favorite bands are surrounded by tens of thousands of junk bands. Why should some completely shitty unheard of band get to have a spot in this holy temple? Does everything that ever existed get listed in an encyclopedia? No because it would be never ending. You only list the ones that are important and have at least some kind of impact in the world, or at the very least has a cult following. It's just stupid that you find it necessary to include all these unheard of, unimportant bands, just because they're metal.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:43 am 

Dude, what is "shitty" to you might be fantastic music to another person.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:35 am 

MadThrasher888 wrote:
But more importantly I consider the "book of heavy metal" to be a very holy text, and I find it quite insulting that all my favorite bands are surrounded by tens of thousands of junk bands. Why should some completely shitty unheard of band get to have a spot in this holy temple? Does everything that ever existed get listed in an encyclopedia? No because it would be never ending. You only list the ones that are important and have at least some kind of impact in the world, or at the very least has a cult following. It's just stupid that you find it necessary to include all these unheard of, unimportant bands, just because they're metal.

Cool story, bro.

Start your own "book of heavy metal" and you can include whatever the hell you want.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 am 

MadThrasher888 wrote:
The thing that irks me is that there are sooooooooo many shitty metal bands in this world and it makes it very difficult for me to find new, good music using this place. If I want to find a random power metal band that I like, I don't want to have to sort through thousands of shitty bands before I find one.

If you find it so difficult to find music you like on your own you can always visit the Recommendation Central board.

In the end this is, as already mentioned, an encyclopedia. It's not primarily conceived as a music recommendation source (although it can function as one, god knows how many good bands I found just because I was randomly surfing through it. I certainly didn't have to plow through hundreds of shitty ones, as you claim). If you want loosely user-tailored recommendations then go to Last.fm or Pandora. It should be obvious that the Metal Archives do what any encyclopedic ressource about a subject should do: Trying to be exhaustive about it, without bias. We're no going to take out the pruning shears to custom-pimp it for the subjective taste of one individual.

MadThrasher888 wrote:
But more importantly I consider the "book of heavy metal" to be a very holy text, and I find it quite insulting that all my favorite bands are surrounded by tens of thousands of junk bands. Why should some completely shitty unheard of band get to have a spot in this holy temple?

Jesus. Is that you, heavymetalbackwards? :lol:

MadThrasher888 wrote:
Does everything that ever existed get listed in an encyclopedia?

No, but preferably everything within the chosen subject matter. Bizarre, I know.

MadThrasher888 wrote:
No because it would be never ending.

So that's an argument against trying to come as close as possible to completeness?
All bands that ever existed listed? Awesome!
What? We're two bands shy of a happy "book of heavy metal" meal? Completely worthless!

MadThrasher888 wrote:
You only list the ones that are important and have at least some kind of impact in the world, or at the very least has a cult following.

And I guess you would be the one who tells us which bands qualify for that?

MadThrasher888 wrote:
It's just stupid that you find it necessary to include all these unheard of, unimportant bands, just because they're metal.

Poor idiots trying to make music they love and getting an entry in the revered tome of objective, divine metalness. How they failed! They're not even important in the grand scheme of things. They don't even have a cult following them!

Last edited by Azmodes on Sat May 21, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Close, but not quite. Take a glance at the FFA.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:34 am 

I see. Well, I admit, this would have been extreme even for him. I just find that metal warrior crap hilarious.

MadThrasher888
Freddom Fightah!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:05 pm 

Where is heavymetalbackwards anyways?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:55 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Close, but not quite. Take a glance at the FFA.

FFA?

I've no idea what's going on, here :(

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:02 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
FFA?

I've no idea what's going on, here :(

Free-For-All.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:31 pm 

Deleted Gore Santuarium. No real releases.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:23 am 

Deleted Magna Carta. Vapid 80s AOR with a bit Prog and Metal, but not enough.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 am 

Deleted Daedalous. Melodic rock.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:01 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

*click for Google Cache*

Discography:

"Demo" 1998
"Succubus' Anger" EP 1999

Hang on, how do you know those weren't actual releases that were photographed by the submitter...?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

*click for Google Cache*

Discography:

"Demo" 1998
"Succubus' Anger" EP 1999

Hang on, how do you know those weren't actual releases that were photographed by the submitter...?

A band member made a report that they never played together in the given member constellation and never put out official releases. I contacted him. They only recorded a couple of rehearsals and a demo song, but nothing cohesive. To boot, there's also NOTHING about the two albums in the additional info on the internet. I was suspecting that maybe he wanted them deleted because of some "old shame" thing or something, but frankly, I didn't find that very plausible, as the band members are in several other bands still on the Archives. The band was also submitted in 2004 by christkiller, so I'd say it got overlooked then.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:14 pm 

Gotcha. :)

(Aaah, that crazy christkiller... :lol: He must've submitted half the bands on the site or something. Image )

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm 

MadThrasher888 wrote:

That there are bands in the MA that didn't have an impact on your part of the world doesn't mean they didn't have an impact in some other part of the world!
The fact that people add them to the MA proves that those bands did have an impact on some people.
There are some Dutch bands that didn't have a huge impact globally but that really inspired other people from the Netherlands to start a band of their own. Those bands did have an international career (like Gorefest, Pestilence, Thanatos to name a few). So the more obscure bands should not be listed because you don't know them? I think that several people from the aforementioned bands might disagree with you in that!

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:25 am 

Rob1 wrote:
That there are bands in the MA that didn't have an impact on your part of the world doesn't mean they didn't have an impact in some other part of the world!
The fact that people add them to the MA proves that those bands did have an impact on some people.
There are some Dutch bands that didn't have a huge impact globally but that really inspired other people from the Netherlands to start a band of their own. Those bands did have an international career (like Gorefest, Pestilence, Thanatos to name a few). So the more obscure bands should not be listed because you don't know them? I think that several people from the aforementioned bands might disagree with you in that!

Just ignore him, Rob. :) He's only trolling.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/2_Minute_Hate/79834

Nu-metal.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 am 

Hellrisen wrote:

Deleted. I wonder how this ever got accepted and labeled as "death metal". :scratch:

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:39 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Rob1 wrote:

Just ignore him, Rob. :) He's only trolling.

I always like to feed the trolls........................poison! ;) And I don't mean the band, although it could be the same endresult!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:12 am 

Deleted Tengeri Püspök. More alternative/progressive rock than metal.

BlackMetalGirl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:48 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Hellrisen wrote:

Deleted. I wonder how this ever got accepted and labeled as "death metal". :scratch:

Hey Amzodes, when I added 2 Minute Hate some years ago their only release was their self-titled 2006 album and I'm quite sure it was predominantly (if not only) Death Metal. I don't know if with their later release used to play Nu Metal. Unfortunately, I don't have samples from that album as proof.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:53 am 

BlackMetalGirl wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Hey Amzodes, when I added 2 Minute Hate some years ago their only release was their self-titled 2006 album and I'm quite sure it was predominantly (if not only) Death Metal. I don't know if with their later release used to play Nu Metal. Unfortunately, I don't have samples from that album as proof.

Hm, all I can say is none of the songs on their Myspace were anywhere near death metal. Or metal most of the time, for that matter. They seem to have two full-lengths though, so I assume those were from the second one which was not listed when I deleted them. My bad. Any way you could get your hands on some samples from the self-titled?

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 am 

BlackMetalGirl wrote:

Some songs on their Myspace are from their first album.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 pm 

Hello,

Well as I can see the (new-school) sludge bands are accepted/rejected based on the mood of the moderator checking the queue. I would suggest that you set a clear rule about those bands. Anyway the genre of the recently accepted new-school sludge band "Mose Giganticus" should be modified from Progressive Metal (funny genre tag for such band) to Industrial/Hardcore (early) Industrial/Sludge Metal/Post-Hardcore (now).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm 

GraveWish wrote:
Hello,

Well as I can see the (new-school) sludge bands are accepted/rejected based on the mood of the moderator checking the queue. I would suggest that you set a clear rule about those bands. Anyway the genre of the recently accepted new-school sludge band "Mose Giganticus" should be modified from Progressive Metal (funny genre tag for such band) to Industrial/Hardcore (early) Industrial/Sludge Metal/Post-Hardcore (now).

Their full-length struck me as metal enough to be accepted, that had nothing to do with my mood. Personally, I can't hear any industrial or post-hardcore on that album, at least not to the extent that it should be reflected in the genre field. As for the sludge, it sounds like mid-era Mastodon to me, but their genre and whether that IS sludge is a delicate topic, I'd say, so I decided to put it as progressive metal for the time being, which in my opinion is by no means wrong and a big part of their sound. I was sure someone would eventually come along and offer their own interpretations and opinions on the genre. Seems like I was right. :)

All genre discussions should of course go in the correct thread after this.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:50 pm 

Well for me their full-length is metal enough. I used "depending on the mood" because recently I got some new-school sludge bands rejected and they sounded as much metal as this one anyway this is another topic. But in all cases the terme "Sludge" should be added to Mose Giganticus genre tag. I added their previous releases and a link to bandcamp where you can listen to the whole albums to add their (early) genre.

sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/You ... 3540328512
I want to know based on which album is this band accepted. I listened to all their three albums and none of them can be called metal. The closest one to metal is "Metanoia", which, to my ears, is still far away from being metal.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:05 pm 

sofeshue wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Yousei_Teikoku/3540328512
I want to know based on which album is this band accepted. I listened to all their three albums and none of them can be called metal. The closest one to metal is "Metanoia", which, to my ears, is still far away from being metal.

Since there are four full-lengths mentioned on their page it might be possible that the one you didn't listen to is the most Metal one of them all!

sofeshue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:40 pm 

Rob1 wrote:
sofeshue wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Yousei_Teikoku/3540328512

Since there are four full-lengths mentioned on their page it might be possible that the one you didn't listen to is the most Metal one of them all!

I found the full-length album I missed before. It's still far from being metal.

Lauri
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 pm 

Why was Above Symmetry accepted? The CD is simply a re-release (with red cover) of the CD they released as Aspera.

"They re-issued 'Ripples' with the new band name on the cover; and with a red background as opposed to the blue background on the original issue. "

pulverizinggrind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:31 pm 

I've been wanting to ask this question forever

Why are Converge and Agoraphobic Nosebleed not on this site?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 am 

pulverizinggrind wrote:
I've been wanting to ask this question forever

Why are Converge and Agoraphobic Nosebleed not on this site?

Both more -core than metal. Metallic hardcore/mathcore in the first and grindcore in the second case.

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:53 am 

Lauri wrote:
Why was Above Symmetry accepted? The CD is simply a re-release (with red cover) of the CD they released as Aspera.

"They re-issued 'Ripples' with the new band name on the cover; and with a red background as opposed to the blue background on the original issue. "

Done.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:13 pm 

How about Rose Funeral and The Contortionist. I actually like the Contortionist, but it doesn't seem to fit with the MA standard

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 169  Next