Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:25 am 

This has probably been discussed to death but fuck it.. it seems ridiculous to have the reversed-sides version as the default tracklist. The back cover of the sleeve has the correct tracklist as the band clearly intended it, the only error is that the sides on the LP label are misprinted. Since it's clear that the band intended the album to begin with Prelude and end with Deceiver, why can't we just have that as the default tracklist?

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:33 pm 

As stated in the additional notes of the album, this is how it was released at first. In addition, this is how it's mentioned officially. I believe it's site policy to state things as they were on the very first release, with revisions and explanations in the additional notes (and, with the addition of the feature, and if applicable, in the Other versions tab). So, showing this "reversed" version, even if it's probably a mistake, as the original is both more consistent and more encyclopedic.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 pm 

*shrug* I just figure since the actual back cover of the LP has the sides listed in the correct order, that should really be considered the proper track order. I mean, if Gull had intentionally reversed the sides (a bit like how Sony put "Breaking The Law" as track 1 on the original CD releases of British Steel) and printed it as such, it would make sense, but the only error on the LP layout is on the LP label itself, and it's clearly a typo. Encylopaedic or not, it's obviously meant to be in a specific order. In fact, when you play the tracks in correct order it feels more "together" as an album and almost seems to have a theme that runs from conflict through to resolution, if that makes any sense.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:27 am 

If that's the case why is a corrected tracklist shown as the default for an album like Immortal's Battles in the North?

TheNiceNightmare
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:29 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
If that's the case why is a corrected tracklist shown as the default for an album like Immortal's Battles in the North?

...well, shit. I'm out of answers. The way I see it, either one should be corrected, beats me which one. I'd go for following whatever album there might be that provides precedence, until a staff member comes up with a more valid and reasonable answer.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

Sokaris wrote:

My point exactly. Artistic intent should always take precedence over a mistake caused by some mickey-mouse label not doing their job properly.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 am 

The actual physical content and order should always be reflected in the tracklist, even if this can vary with versions and even if it was a pressing error. I haven't looked into this particular case much, but keep this in mind.

Last.fm | Collection

Reply to topic