Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Norfrisianblackmetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
Norfrisianblackmetal wrote:
Why is Annorkoth still not on MA?

According to the blacklist, it's dark ambient. Care to provide links to reevaluate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHts5XrFRPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ELVpvViiY

Coldice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:52 am 

Hello everyone, let me first personally thank you for the amazing work you're doing by keeping the Encyclopaedia Metallum alive & kicking.

Then, straight to the point - I'd like to appeal against the rejection of my Stoner Rock band "V" (from Italy).

The reason of the rejection having been that we are "Not a metal band; does not belong on Encyclopaedia Metallum. Please read (or re-read) our rules next time to see what qualifies as metal."

Yet - bands like Kyuss and Baroness are featured, but I do believe you will agree that their sound more than often falls outside the strictly-metal genre. Now, if you would be so kind to listen again to our first full length (http://vforvheissu.bandcamp.com/album/fell-from-grace), I believe you will find many similarities between their sound and ours. So, why can they be in the Encyclopaedia while we can't?

(If the answer is "Because they are popular while we don't know who the fuck you guys are" I will bitterly stand it anyway - I understand you want to keep these archives as clean as you can)

Particularly, I'm asking you to consider "Endless Nights", "Failbait" and "Henrietta Boned". These tracks might not have anything to do with Slayer or true Norwegian Black Metal, but they sound pretty fucking metal anyway. Also, by listening to the other tracks you can notice plenty of Metal influences, as in the ending of "Fell From Grace".

I hope you'll find my appeal reasonable.

Thank you for your time and patience!

V.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:46 am 

dust666 wrote:
There's this local band that has just released a full-length digitally. It's blacklisted. It's definitely a really borderline case, but I think the new album should be checked out: http://cityscapedrawninblackink.bandcamp.com/

Agreed with BastardHead. Far too borderline, especially considering their previous output.

stonedOUTbeyond wrote:

Taken off the blacklist.

Cubo de Sangre wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I attempted to enter a new release on your site and it popped up as blacklisted. The band is Bitch Witch from Spain. I certainly understand how they skirt the edges of metal, however I don't understand their exclusion from this resource. It should be easily agreeable that the band's aesthetic is metal. For example:

[pic]

I checked the site and I see you have Discharge, which this band is influenced by. There is a bit of kitchiness to the whole thing, and that I attribute to the female part of the shtick. To me this has metal all over it, albeit not exclusively. I would kindly ask that it be reconsidered and allow this band/release into the database. I intend my label a metal label and it never once occurred to me this band wouldn't fit into any metal crowd, or biker bar for that matter. :)

Thanks.

Here's the opening track: http://bitchwitch.bandcamp.com/track/mother-crust
Here's me releasing the album: http://www.cubodesangre.com/

I was the one who blacklisted them. I remember the music being more crust punk than metal, borderline in places. Checked the EP again and that's still the case. Aesthetics do not matter to us, only the actual music does.

attilaslaytanic666 wrote:

Taken off the blacklist.

sheakima wrote:
RonimuZ wrote:
^ I doubt it's been blacklisted without listening, but the note itself looks like rechecking would be reasonable, which someone might do at some point. Only one track (metal or not) doesn't really proof anything, so as much material as possible is preferred.

Hello RonimuZ,

Thanks for your answer!
Yes, surely it has been listened to (probably the second and more meaningful demo wasn't out yet?)
In case somebody is willing to look into it, I uploaded the second demo to this location: http://www.file-upload.net/download-803 ... I.rar.html

Thanks,
Thomas

Looks and sounds perfectly acceptable. Taken off the blacklist.

Norfrisianblackmetal wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:
According to the blacklist, it's dark ambient. Care to provide links to reevaluate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHts5XrFRPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ELVpvViiY

Sounds like borderline riffless ambient mostly. This band has been brought up a couple of times and the verdict has always been the same.

Did I miss anyone? Speak up.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 am 

Coldice, I'm inclined to agree with the rejection. Noticeably more on the stoner rock side of things. Popularity is not a factor in the slightest here.

Both Baroness and Kyuss have one or more releases that are considered metal enough by the site's standards.

Coldice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:56 pm 

Thank you for your clean cut answer Azmodeus!

sleepOOO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:42 pm 

Hey just a quick question... Why was Nocturnal Poisoning (Scott Conner/Malefic's side project) blacklisted?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:43 pm 

Not metal and not a valid side-project.

sleepOOO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:45 pm 

Neither is Wongraven. I thought non-metal side projects were allowed?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:52 pm 

sleepOOO wrote:
Neither is Wongraven. I thought non-metal side projects were allowed?

Only when said side projects are started in concurrence with the artist's main band. Scott Conner started Nocturnal Poisoning after he had dissolved Xasthur, therefore that project is less of a "side project" of Xasthur's and more like his main artistic focus at this point.

coryses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 am 

Just wondering if the band can now be added? I understand if not. I made the release available for download. Posted videos of us playing live. added all of our pages. The ep still is only 15 minutes, but I think that is pretty good for 4 songs no?

PEACE KILLERS

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/PEA ... 3540369576

http://peacekillers.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/peacekillers

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 am 

It's already/still in the queue. Please be patient.

coryses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am 

Azmodes wrote:
It's already/still in the queue. Please be patient.

Thank you! Again sorry, still new to the site.

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 am 

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right place, but is there a reason Kyuss' name hasn't been changed completely to Vista Chino, and the new album "Peace" hasn't been added yet?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am 

The Kyuss page won't be changed. This new incarnation would get a separate page connected with the current one through the year ranges, as Kyuss is connected to Sons of Kyuss now. Vista Chino was already submitted, but the album is mostly just stoner rock, not really metal, and it was thus rejected.

HelloCthulhu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am 

I'd have thought it would be regarded as a name change only, but I understand why you could argue it was a "different band". Oh well.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:11 am 

Well, it is indeed not exactly a smooth and perfunctory name change, but even if it were, it is still a significantly different band name that would automatically receive a new page, thus also being subject to the rules and requirements for any new band entry.

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:22 pm 

I would like to appeal NAILS' (USA) blacklist.

A stream of their newest album complete with pictures of the album:
http://www.cvltnation.com/nails/

Part of a live set from Brooklyn, NY:
http://www.metalinjection.net/video/nai ... a-3rd-2013

- extremely heavy and aggressive music
- touring with Godflesh
- toured with Ringworm
- has performed at Maryland Death Fest
- on a metal label

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:23 pm 

xsongsofselfx wrote:
- touring with Godflesh
- toured with Ringworm
- on a metal label

And still an hardcore band. A great one too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
xsongsofselfx wrote:
- touring with Godflesh
- toured with Ringworm
- on a metal label

And still an hardcore band. A great one too.

I'd love it if you'd expand on this please. If they put out metal music on a metal label, does that not make them a metal band?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:40 pm 

Putting out hardcore on a metal label makes them a hardcore band.

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 pm 

Okay, I'm just curious now. How do other hardcore bands get added and they do not? Because they are popular?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:03 pm 

They don't, unless they also released metal material at some point before or after turning into hardcore.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:05 pm 

What? No pure hardcore bands get added, only bands we consider metal. I already mentioned this band some times recently. And saying they're a metal band because they're on a metal label is simply utterly ridiculous. Nickelback is on Roadrunner and we all know, despite the hoax I made back in April, that they're not a metal band.

To repeat myself, I love Nails and they do have metallic moments but not enough for the Archives.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99463&p=2278248&hilit=nails#p2278248

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 pm 

All Out War - NY hardcore band
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/All_Out_War/18213
members of Hatebreed, only played hardcore shows

Ringworm - Cleveland hardcore band
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ringworm/81102
early line ups had members of INTEGRITY

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm 

Maybe you noticed that "thrash metal" is included in their genre. AKA they're considered metal by the Archives and we don't compare bands with each others anyway. I heard (and own) Abandon All Life and it's not a metal album.

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm 

Yeah it says "Thrash Metal" in the same way it would say "Grindcore" on the Nails page. So it's just a matter of the fact that you're aware of NAILS' hardcore background but not some bands listed on the site. I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to figure out how it works.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

Grindcore can be metal (Nasum) or not metal (Anal Cunt), Nails is on the hardcore spectrum of grindcore. Nails doesn't simply have an hardcore background, they ARE an hardcore band. I don't know what do you want to know.

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm 

That's interesting because the same could be said for Dead in the Dirt (listed on the site - same label - straight edge band with members of hardcore band Foundation). I wonder then, why is Assück listed on the site? They are clearly on the more punk/hardcore side of grindcore. This site seems to be a little inconsistent, and apparently there have been multiple people who wanted to have Nails added?

I don't disagree that Nails is a hardcore band, but I think there's enough metal in there for them to be added. The rest of their peers from their label (Power Trip, Dead in the Dirt, Black Breath - all just as much of a hardcore band as Nails, and have all toured with Nails) are on the site and they should be too.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm 

You know, if those three bands you mention really do sound like Nails (not familiar enough with any of them to comment, but part of me doubts that they do), then they should be deleted from the website. The Metal Archives isn't going to add Nails - or any non-metal band - based on a band in the database whose music is either a) unacceptable on its own terms, or b) being misappropriated for the sake of an argument such as this one.

Also, have you listened to Assück's album Anticapital? It's just about as death metal-influenced as grindcore can possibly be.

xsongsofselfx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
You know, if those three bands you mention really do sound like Nails (not familiar enough with any of them to comment, but part of me doubts that they do), then they should be deleted from the website. The Metal Archives isn't going to add Nails - or any non-metal band - based on a band in the database whose music is either a) unacceptable on its own terms, or b) being misappropriated for the sake of an argument such as this one.

Also, have you listened to Assück's album Anticapital? It's just about as death metal-influenced as grindcore can possibly be.

If they were all deleted, I'd feel a little bad about that because they are all worthy of being on the site, but at least the site would be more consistent.

Of course I've heard Anticapital, but I think that Misery Index has even more DM influence and is nearly a perfect album. That seems like a separate discussion though, ha.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm 

That Nails album does sound like hardcore to me. Hardcore taking cues from grooving powerviolence and metal, but hardcore.

xsongsofselfx wrote:
I wonder then, why is Assück listed on the site? They are clearly on the more punk/hardcore side of grindcore.

Well, I don't doubt you think they are clearly more punk than metal. Just as the site's staff thinks Nails is clearly more hardcore than metal. This works both ways and everybody is entitled to their opinion regarding the metal--non-metal borderlands.

xsongsofselfx wrote:
This site seems to be a little inconsistent, and apparently there have been multiple people who wanted to have Nails added?

There are always going to be perceived inconsistencies, found by those who look for them. It's impossible to please everyone. There are "multiple" people who want Slipknot added too. Or KISS. Or Anal Cunt. Or Evanescence. Or that one Moldavian mellow ambient band that keeps getting brought up every month or so. Each of those people will thus regard the site as inconsistent (which it definitely is on a certain unavoidable, even utterly absolute level), just as much as you might similarly regard the inclusion of these bands (or you might not, just pick another borderline case you don't consider to be metal that was doubtlessly suggested for inclusion before).

xsongsofselfx wrote:
I don't disagree that Nails is a hardcore band, but I think there's enough metal in there for them to be added.

Well, disregard the above then, if you yourself practically say as much as them being mainly hardcore. There you have it. We're the Metal Archives. Not the Metal-and-bands-with-some-metal-in-there Archives.

The database's status quo is not set in stone, you know. You can always suggest bands for deletion in the other thread if you feel they don't belong. Just as much as bands can be reevaluated here. The thing is, we won't accept a questionable band because other allegedly questionable bands have already "gotten through".

Jacobo979
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:28 am 

I recently submitted Night Sun, an obscure german 70s heavy metal band with progressive rock influence, as I think they are as, or even more heavy than other bands of it's kind accepted, like Lucifer's Friend, Deep Purple, Buffalo, Sir lord Baltimore, Budgie, Black Sabbath or Rush.

After reading the rules many times, I don't really understand why this band get rejected. It's only album have loads of heavy metal riffs, including some undeniable doom metal riffs in the vein of Tommy Iommy, while not imitating him. It has even fast sections which reminds of speed metal some times and it's lyrics are very doomy, too. The vocals are normal heavy metal ones and the hammond organ adds a lot of heaviness to the music, reminding the heaviest Deep Purple moments. Even it's cover art could be that of an 80s doom metal band.

I think i submitted the band information correctly, providing sound samples and all of that stuff. I wouldn't be as confused if bands like the mentioned above weren't on the site, because this band It's notably heavier than most of them (Not saying that Rush or Lucifer's friend shouldn't be on the site, i totally agree with it's inclusion, and I think many similar bands like Uriah Heep, Quatermass, Birth Control, High Tide, Leaf Hound, Atomic Rooster, Gun or The Stooges, but I know it won't happen). Please, I would like you to tell me what's wrong with this concrete band, thanks.

The songs I submitted as sounds samples were the following, along with it's full 1972 album mournin'.Along this ones there are other songs as heavy, you can listen to them on youtube. Plastic shotgun is a dark and fast song. Of course the guitar tone is as heavy as an 80s one, but i guess thats logical, and Got a bone of my own is an incredibly doomy song, just as Into the Void or Electric Funeral (it truly starts after a dark 2 minute long intro):

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 am 

Hmm, I agree with you, very proto-metallic, and if there is any reliability in my abilities as a psychic I'd wager 2-3 of the staff will agree with us, while others will disagree. Definitely a band that should be examined closely and the pros and cons carefully weighed, in my own humble estimation.

(Please note that this post refers exclusively to the two songs linked above, the rest of the album might be different.)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm 

Night Sun used to be on MA.

TechShredV0ci
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:39 pm 

Hi, I submitted Diabolicus. It got rejected for the following reason "Are there physical copies of either release available? -Azmodes"
Yes Indeed there are, I myself have one and they are readily available to people who see Diabolicus, and they have sold many other copies. I hope we can appeal this.

Thanks dudes!

Last edited by TechShredV0ci on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:46 pm 

TechShredV0ci wrote:
Hi, I submitted Diabolicus. It got rejected for the following reason "Are there physical copies of either release available? -Azmodes"
Yes Indeed there are, I myself have one and they are readily available to people who see Diabolicus, and they have sold many other copies. I hope we can appeal this.

Thanks dudes!

Could you please provide a link to where they can be purchased? The picture of yours would suffice but we prefer the former. You may resubmit with this info in the "submission notes" field.

edit: Picture didn't load before I replied. That's good.

TechShredV0ci
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 pm 

Will it be approved? Thanks

hexen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:59 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
That band doesn't seem acceptable either, though, considering that every song besides that one that he immediately linked sounds like chug-ch-djent-chuuuug-djent.

Thanks for the response. It's hardly a djent group, yes - they do use 8 strings so you are going to hear what an 8 string guitar sounds like.

Here is another Black Crown Initiate song from their EP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uPJJyVbvV0

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 pm 

Revisiting Night Sun, I wouldn't object to them being listed (again). I had a short discussion with another, much, much, much more knowledgeable moderator about their historical importance and similar non-musical aspects that might factor into including these controversial proto-metal acts and he didn't consider them relevant enough in that regard. He did, however, concede to their heaviness. Now, having listened to the album again, I'd say this perspective might not even be needed, considering how darn heavy/metal the album is, despite/because of the let's-fucking-play-actually-progressive-music-kinda prog rock being dished out here.

Add to that that they used to be on here (I was previously unaware of this) and were most likely removed by one single mod without discussion. At least I couldn't find any sign of it other than a user bringing them up for deletion.

Le Lobo Paulista
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:53 pm 

Good Afternoon!

Would Like To Ask Permission To Join My Band

Wolf Krieger (BRA) Again, Because She Is On Blacklist

By Fact From Ñ Have Had Some Information, E Pq Pedi Requests Some Times No Right Understanding The Purpose
Archives of Metallum.
Ask Request To Remove From Black List
Now I got the missing information ...

Thank you!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236 ... 541  Next