Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
moonlight_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:44 pm 

Hmm ... Sound's interesting ...

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 pm 

Earlier there was a brief discussion about Soulfly being added to the archives based on their new album "Omen"...while I know that a legitimate debate about if they should or shouldn't be added can't occur until the album comes out, I'd like to say that I'm listening to the full album now (as a metal radio DJ I received a promo copy) and am willing to put myself on the line here by saying that I'll be pretty shocked if the mods still deem the band "not metal enough". While I of course mean no disrespect to the mods, I'd still like to offer my viewpoint that this a pretty far cry from Soulfly's older, more nu-metal crap...I'm not saying that Soulfly's new album is necessarily GOOD, but is it metal? I definitely think so.

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest before I forgot!

Sleazer777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:06 am 

Ive got at message that Head First is rejected.Dunno,but sample on ebay sounds pure Heavy Metal from 80s.I mean riffing,vocals,solos.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:13 am 

No, hard rock.

Sleazer777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 am 

Witcher wrote:
No, hard rock.

Please argue your words.HF does not sounds like Whitesnake or Urian Heep? Right?I mean theres a very thin line between HM and HR and HEAD FIRST sounds more Metal than HR.All riffing is like from Shrapnel Records or Azra / Iron Works records artists.Melodic? YES.But its Heavy Metal.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:23 am 

I will not argue anything. This is simply hard rock as it was already established in the seventies and is played until today. That it misses the Hammond organ does not mean anything.
More importantly, read the first post in the thread. Me or any any other moderators will not argue about anything, we will simply tell you our decision.

Quote:
"Do not argue the decisions. This thread is a court of appeals, not a shouting match."

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:15 am 

settle down, he wasn't shouting. There's nothing wrong with embellishing your original answer a bit, damn.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:46 am 

Witcher, the answer to your question is points. People come here, see a few dark ambient bands on the site, notice one of the ones they know isn't, and submit it believing it'll be submitted and that they'll get some points.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 am 

caspian wrote:
settle down, he wasn't shouting. There's nothing wrong with embellishing your original answer a bit, damn.

That was a quote from what is written on the first page. The "no arguing" part is quite clear. Otherwise, kindly stop mentorizing me.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:40 pm 

Sleazer obviously doesn't speak English properly...he was likely meaning something else when he used the word "argue", likely more along the lines of "defend", "embellish", "explain". I think a simple 2 word response isn't sufficient when it comes to borderline bands and that taking a minute to explain isn't that much of a hassle.

I understand that mods have a lot on their plate, but he wasn't being rude and was just looking for a clearer explanation apart from "Hard rock". Does that really bug you that much? If so, I don't know why you are modding when that is part of the responsibility.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:45 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Sleazer obviously doesn't speak English properly...he was likely meaning something else when he used the word "argue", likely more along the lines of "defend", "embellish", "explain". I think a simple 2 word response isn't sufficient when it comes to borderline bands and that taking a minute to explain isn't that much of a hassle.

I understand that mods have a lot on their plate, but he wasn't being rude and was just looking for a clearer explanation apart from "Hard rock". Does that really bug you that much? If so, I don't know why you are modding when that is part of the responsibility.

He and other users can expect shor, brief answer, not two pages of reasoning. That is also what the rules explains. When anybody after an explanation start, with "but I still be believe it is metal", then he will be rightfully ignored, since the moderators are not here to convince anybody.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:27 pm 

Our job is to judge whether a band is acceptable. Explanations as to how the band didn't sound metal to the mod can be given, but it's not an obligation. If the mod wants to give 2-word answer, he can. No user should tell him to justify himself. Besides, the listening experience can be hard to put into words sometimes.
As said recently by Witcher, stop judging our work as mods and even more implying that a mod shouldn't be one.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm 

I implied nothing of the such, but that such things should be expected when undertaking the job of modding.

I never said that it was an obligation, either, but I can understand why some people may be curious when given such a curt, short answer.

I understand where both sides of this argument come from, sorry for attempting to possibly explain why a user, who wasn't rude at all, asked for something and then was shot down as if he was being the biggest burden that this site has ever seen.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:19 pm 

I agree with wombat. We're not saying that you guys should be expected to argue for a few pages over BTBAM or something, but if someone's civil and not stupid, then how is a sentence or two going to hurt?

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:22 am 

caspian wrote:
I agree with wombat. We're not saying that you guys should be expected to argue for a few pages over BTBAM or something, but if someone's civil and not stupid, then how is a sentence or two going to hurt?

Iit is not going to hurt. but I did not want to do it to spare arguing. Hard rock is hard rock.
Even if the asker is civil, I have no obligation to go into details.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 am 

Seriously, what the hell kind of explanation is Witcher going to give, anyway? "It's hard rock because the riffs are in a hard rock style and not heavy or fast or aggressive enough." I haven't heard the band myself, but that's Witcher's reasoning I'm sure, as it would be with any other band deemed hard rock and not heavy metal. Do you guys want a family tree?

caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 am 

the one he ended up giving in the end was pretty adequate.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:12 am 

Well, I'm glad it meets with your fucking approval.

Everyone can now go about their business.

DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm 

Redirected from the Periphery topic in the metal discussion part of the website. Simply wanted to ask why Periphery aren't allowed to be added, since it has been established that it is not for being too "-core".

Metaladdict68
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm 

By a band needing proof of physical release, what does it mean? How can I prove it to you?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:04 pm 

DrSharK wrote:
Redirected from the Periphery topic in the metal discussion part of the website. Simply wanted to ask why Periphery aren't allowed to be added, since it has been established that it is not for being too "-core".

Their style is moderm, consists of chugged riffs and strange tempo changes.

It does not resemble any valid metal style except of groove metal and even that is a stretch.
What they do resemble are nu-metal bands of the chugging "Korn" type.
So , in short, it is musically too alternative/nu-metal based and too far from real metal.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:05 pm 

Metaladdict68 wrote:
By a band needing proof of physical release, what does it mean? How can I prove it to you?

Read the first post in this thread.

Metaladdict68
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Metaladdict68 wrote:

tits.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:25 pm 

Metaladdict68 wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Metaladdict68 wrote:

tits.

I don't think that posting pictures of these, although they might beappreciated, will help in getting a band accepted on this site! :D

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:28 pm 

hmm only the band who have released an album are accepted ?, i mean i submitted The Order of Apollyon 5 days ago but their album will be released only on 6th of May, are bands accepted in that manner ?, or am i being too hasty on adding of the band ?

I added the whole album information too, as it was leaked 5 days ago, so bands accepted even though they don't have a current release ?

Thanks

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:30 pm 

Read the first post...

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:02 pm 

Sorry my bad

ralfman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:51 pm 

Metaladdict68 wrote:
tits.

:D :P

Selling:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 9&t=119265

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:00 pm 

Okay, question about the whole "needs a physical release" thing: does it have to be an official release to the public, like available for sale, or can it just be physical copies of it? Cuz, like, I was a in a band last summer and we recorded a demo and there are 5 physical copies of it, one for each band member and one for my mom. Does that count?

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:00 pm 

ralfman wrote:
Metaladdict68 wrote:
tits.

:D :P

Rob1 already commented that post, it's being enough now. This thread is not a free-for-all.

gautier
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 pm 

hi dudes
i tried to register my band called yattai (6 physical releases, in activity : www.myspace.com/yattai).
could you please help me, it may be a mistake.
cheers

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:06 pm 

bloody_spike wrote:
Okay, question about the whole "needs a physical release" thing: does it have to be an official release to the public, like available for sale, or can it just be physical copies of it? Cuz, like, I was a in a band last summer and we recorded a demo and there are 5 physical copies of it, one for each band member and one for my mom. Does that count?

No, the demo must be available to the public. Your demo is a private one and doesn't count. The demo must not necessarily be sold, it can be given away.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm 

gautier wrote:
hi dudes
i tried to register my band called yattai (6 physical releases, in activity : www.myspace.com/yattai).
could you please help me, it may be a mistake.
cheers

Not metal, grindcore.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:42 pm 

Hello, just noticed that some Lebanese bands with physical releases got removed from MA. Is there any specific reason for that? I suppose the moderator who accepted them back then did verify about the release, knowing that such info may disappear in the futur from other sources on the net except from MA! I did my best to re-add 4 of them with the little info I found about the release on the net but what about the other bands?

I also noticed that 3 other bands that I already added got removed. I dont have any idea how I can figure out wich bands or why they got removed. I suppose because of the physical release evidence. I think after all this time contributing to MA the basic thing to know is the existance of a physical release when submitting a new band and I always submitted bands based on that rule.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm 

I've had some of my submitted bands from "exotic" countries removed as well, when I've always provided proof of release. Some of these bands were even rejected the first time and then I talked to the band and always included a message saying that the release existed or something along those lines.

It's a shame, but, in most cases, I don't feel like going through the work to resubmit a band that I've already had accepted here.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:07 am 

GraveWish wrote:
Hello, just noticed that some Lebanese bands with physical releases got removed from MA. Is there any specific reason for that?

Is there any specific band you're talking about?

GraveWish wrote:
I suppose the moderator who accepted them back then did verify about the release, knowing that such info may disappear in the futur from other sources on the net except from MA! I did my best to re-add 4 of them with the little info I found about the release on the net but what about the other bands?

What bands? Again, let's not be so vague. Also, we find out about fake bands all the time and we re-evaluate their credibility based on information. It doesn't mean that because a band was accepted in the past that the decision was always right.

GraveWish wrote:
I also noticed that 3 other bands that I already added got removed. I dont have any idea how I can figure out wich bands or why they got removed. I suppose because of the physical release evidence. I think after all this time contributing to MA the basic thing to know is the existance of a physical release when submitting a new band and I always submitted bands based on that rule.

Well, if you figure out which bands they are and you can provide they have had physical releases, resubmit them. I'm guessing that they may have been flagged for some reason and re-evaluated.

But decide what you wish. We make arbitrary decisions as we please. Like your signature states, we're a mafia. We're in this to make shitloads of money to accept submissions of bands that pay us generously. If you don't accept our decisions, we'll "whack" you.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm 

Why FILTHY LUCIFER havent been accepted?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:27 pm 

No songsamples. The genre was listed as black metal/punk - suspicious.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm 

Samples can be heard on the myspace of the band and label, tape is released and here are the links...
http://www.myspace.com/filthylucifer
http://sites.google.com/site/taphephobiaprod/
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... hy+lucifer

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm 

Predominantly punk/crust - does not belong.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 541  Next