Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sleazer777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 am 

I just found that Vinum Sabbatum band is on rejected list.Well its a bit strange,because this band sounds like Traditional Doom/Rock Metal band but is Heavy Enough to qualify.I mean theres a lot of similar bands like BLOOD CEREMONY or WITCHCRAFT(Swe) or JEX THOTH already in Metal-Archives so I seen no problems.It's bordeline of course,but can easily qualify as I said earlier.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:03 am 

They are pure sixties/seventies psychedelic rock, not even borderline.

Icegrim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:49 pm 

Greetings.
Two 'black' metal profiles have disappeared from the website: Syringe from USA and Blood Covenant from Armenia.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm 

Apparently neither of them had physical releases.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm 

And the user who wanted to prove the existence of Blood Covenant's physical release never came back.

Icegrim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:08 pm 

And may I have a look at an archival version of these profiles? Just would like to check the 'Genre(s)' column in both if possible.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:31 pm 

MA does not host archive versions. Search on Google.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm 

Icegrim wrote:
And may I have a look at an archival version of these profiles? Just would like to check the 'Genre(s)' column in both if possible.

Symphonic 'Black' Metal for Blood Covenant. You can listen to their songs on their homepage, so I do not quite understand why do you ask.

Icegrim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm 

Right, thanks. I just wanted to know your opinion about it. And Syringe (from US)? (I can't find their official site)

ChildOfTheDamned77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm 

I submitted a Swedish band called Steelwing, which was rejected for lack of discography. I did in fact submit the band's debut album, as well as their Myspace and label, which would have verified the existence of said album.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:43 pm 

Read the first post, please. I think it's written big enough, or did you miss it?

Restrife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:43 am 

i just submited Here Comes The Kraken and it got rejected apparently for not being metal enough ----> metalcore...

The weird thing is that they are Death Metal... U can read on their website/facebook/myspace they know what they are cuase they are who play their music (obviously)

I dunno but why try to change what isnt? if they are death why wanna say they're not... sound might not be death completely but ffs pure metalcore it isnt... like omg... at very least deathcore but come on...

but well u review it and tell me :/ cause I might be missing something about this cuase seriously :/

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:50 am 

Metalcore, not enough metal based. I will telll you to read the guidelines and what it says about that genre.

Restrife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:56 am 

please man cause i've heard a lot of metalcore and... damn... i know they call themselves death metal (they'r not entirely dm) but still man... this not the typical "metalcore" bullshit...

for example... the band eternal lord is considered a metalcore band... but yet is here... so?

Heavier more death oriented lyrics and stronger image etcetc and yet not goo enough? ... well... :/

just compare and u will see... but i guess i dont know too much apparently :(

Last edited by Restrife on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 am 

Read the first page of this thread and respect the decision. It is final.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:01 am 

Read the first page of this thread and respect the decision. It is final.

Restrife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 am 

woa bro chill... im just trying to defend what i think is defendable... i respect your decition i just dont share it. Thats all... damn...

iaHawkry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:54 am 

Hi all, I was just a tad confused as to what constitutes dark ambient metal and why this doesn't make the cut.

http://www.myspace.com/castintothefurnace

Thanks, and I appologize for using the wrong thread for this inquiry before posting here

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 am 

iaHawkry wrote:
Hi all, I was just a tad confused as to what constitutes dark ambient metal and why this doesn't make the cut.

http://www.myspace.com/castintothefurnace

Thanks, and I appologize for using the wrong thread for this inquiry before posting here

Dark ambient is not metal.

You should learn something about metal, its history and real metal subgenres, before you attempt to submit anything. We pressume that the contributors should have at least good general knowledge about metal music.

For the rest, see my answer here:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=65722

iaHawkry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am 

The thing is, I am quite versed in metal, and I think as a moderator of the metal-archives you'd acknowledge that there are 173 bands on the metal-archives that have dark ambient as a part of their genre and I'd say around 20 of them are solely "Dark Ambient." So if Dark Ambient isn't a metal subgenre whatsoever, then I would have to think that there is a bit of hypocrisy happening here.

Additionally, I don't see how the songwriting isn't metal, or unfitting for the genre. It's long, heavily distorted reverberated droning basslines and samples, usually written in melodic minor, hungarian minor, or chromatic, with several layers of droning noises (usually accidental notes) and feedback, used to create a very ominous atmosphere.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 am 

iaHawkry wrote:
So if Dark Ambient isn't a metal subgenre whatsoever, then I would have to think that there is a bit of hypocrisy happening here.

I suggest you read rule 5, it'll make it all clear.

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am 

iaHawkry wrote:
The thing is, I am quite versed in metal, and I think as a moderator of the metal-archives you'd acknowledge that there are 173 bands on the metal-archives that have dark ambient as a part of their genre and I'd say around 20 of them are solely "Dark Ambient." So if Dark Ambient isn't a metal subgenre whatsoever, then I would have to think that there is a bit of hypocrisy happening here. .

Read the first post of this thread and you will change your opinion.

KanttorinpoikaMax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:59 am 

Quote:
Sorry KanttorinpoikaMax, Encyclopaedia Metallum was forced to reject your submission for the band mr. peter hayden (Finland), for the following reason:

Either there is a lack of information, or this band has no apparent discography. Please see rule #7. If this band has indeed released anything and you can show us proof, you can resubmit it again.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mr__peter_hayden

even some distros carry their stuff:
http://www.streaksrecords.de/distro.php#sieben
http://www.smartcart.com/psycheDOOMelic ... um=PS-4045

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 pm 

I still do not see any soundsamples which could be judged.

KanttorinpoikaMax
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm 

Witcher wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/mrpeterhayden that should have some.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 pm 

KanttorinpoikaMax wrote:
Witcher wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/mrpeterhayden that should have some.

Psychedelic rock, not really metal.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:01 pm 

I was just wondering what the policy was regarding the submission of bands that have been rejected for being "not metal enough" after they've taken a pretty severe direction change in terms of the kind of music they're putting out. Once blacklisted, blacklisted for life?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm 

No, if a band changes style to metal they can be removed from the blacklist if samples of the new direction convince the staff.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

Alright, then if it hasn't already been suggested and then turned down once again, I'd like to bring up Between the Buried and Me. I feel like their last album especially has proven to be a much more metal release than their previous work (which was seething with "core" influence).

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 pm 

Do you really think they took a pretty severe direction change?

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm 

Compared to their first album, it sounds like an entirely different band to me. It's much more obviously metal and a lot proggier too.

moonlight_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm 

I was wondering why did you reject the ambient band SITVARTES , it said it's not metal , but the Encyclopadeia has alot of dark ambient bands such as Amak Hahina

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:15 pm 

There are exceptions chosen by the staff. You should read the rules and the first post before asking anything. This would avoid such useless questions.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:29 pm 

Winds0fCreation wrote:
Compared to their first album, it sounds like an entirely different band to me. It's much more obviously metal and a lot proggier too.

But overall it is still not metal enough. We do not compare their albums, but their general metal compatibility.

As for being proggier, you do not seem to understand, that we do not judge the quality of the music, songwriting skills or techicality, but solely the metalness of the music.

Last edited by Witcher on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm 

moonlight_666 wrote:
I was wondering why did you reject the ambient band SITVARTES , it said it's not metal , but the Encyclopadeia has alot of dark ambient bands such as Amak Hahina

Really, you people are getting on my nerves with those ambient bands. Do you metal homework. Ambient has absolutely nothing in common musically with metal. Metal bands can use ambient elemets, but so they can use folk, funk, jazz or classical music elements. That does not make a non-metal style of music magically metal.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Winds0fCreation wrote:

But overall it is still not metal enough. We do not compare their albums, but their general metal compatibility.

As for being proggier, you do not seem to understand, that we do not judge the quality of the music, songwriting skills or techicality, but solely the metalness of the music.

Well, I disagree. I think their music is plenty metal enough (considering some of the other bands that can be found on the archives—All Shall Perish, Waking the Cadaver, etc). I wanted to bring it up because I felt they deserved a spot on the Archives, but if it's not acceptable to the staff, then I'm not going to bother belaboring the point.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:47 pm 

Witcher wrote:
moonlight_666 wrote:

Really, you people are getting on my nerves with those ambient bands. Do you metal homework. Ambient has absolutely nothing in common musically with metal. Metal bands can use ambient elemets, but so they can use folk, funk, jazz or classical music elements. That does not make a non-metal style of music magically metal.

I don't see why it would get on your nerves when there's a considerable amount of Dark Ambient bands being accepted already. Wouldn't it be expected to have this come up regularly? And yes, while all those bands have their ties to some sort of metal band (because as we both know, all the members of these dark ambient bands have influenced the metal scene in such a large manner that their side ambient projects do deserve to go on here), it really doesn't keep consistent with what you are saying right now about what is or isn't metal. Between the Buried and Me are very closely tied to the metal scene, but I know that you guys will not be accepting them any time soon disregarding the entire "exception" rule that bands like Mortiis get accepted under..

I agree with you on the terms that ambient is clearly a far distant music genre from metal, but I'm sure moonlight_666 would too..

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 pm 

No, since the majority of those ambient projects are side projects, which is clearly explained in the guidelines.
Besides that, what sense does it make to submit a non-metal band to the metal page. Common sense should tell you not to do it.

Read the exception rule carefully- users are discouraged to submit such bands. So users should not care about the rules at all. It is up to the staff discretion which of such band will be accepted.
Such bands do not have to be only ambient.

I repeat - those exceptions are absolutely not of your concern. Between the Buried and Me were not accepted, because their music is not metal for us.

moonlight_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 pm 

Why don't you remove those LLN ambient projects then ?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm 

moonlight_666 wrote:
Why don't you remove those LLN ambient projects then ?

Read the what the rules say about exceptions. If they really were selected by some member of the staff, then it is his right.

The question stands in your case - why did you want to submit a band, which apparently has nothing to do with metal, to this page?
Because you saw ambient bands here? Someone with common sense would wonder, why non-metal bands are here, when it is a metal database, and would read the guidelines, or ask, which still would be better than submit a non metal band and then complain about its rejection.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 541  Next