Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
invocator2k
Forum enforcer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 am 

Tried adding the Italian band 'W.O.M.P.' (aka Watts of Music Power) and got the "band was blacklisted" message.

Tried searching here for the reason why they were rejected and did't get any search results for WOMP, Watts of Music Power, and can't search using the "W.O.M.P." term, I get a weird message about the search keyword being too short.

I got their 1995 CD a while back and they're definitely metal. Style is a bit erratic at times, but it's some sort of weird technical power/thrash.

http://utenti.multimania.it/WOMPband/ (their web site or a fan page, is awful but ... info is there)
http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/222539

No idea if their latter releases are in a much different style, but "Madness Manipulators" definitely qualifies. Can upload samples somewhere if needed.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:24 am 

invocator2k wrote:
Tried adding the Italian band 'W.O.M.P.' (aka Watts of Music Power) and got the "band was blacklisted" message.

Tried searching here for the reason why they were rejected and did't get any search results for WOMP, Watts of Music Power, and can't search using the "W.O.M.P." term, I get a weird message about the search keyword being too short.

I got their 1995 CD a while back and they're definitely metal. Style is a bit erratic at times, but it's some sort of weird technical power/thrash.

http://utenti.multimania.it/WOMPband/ (their web site or a fan page, is awful but ... info is there)
http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/222539

No idea if their latter releases are in a much different style, but "Madness Manipulators" definitely qualifies. Can upload samples somewhere if needed.

Maybe you could upload some of it on youtube? Sounds interesting.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 am 

http://archive.org/details/iuma-womp_wa ... usic_power

Here's one of their songs, apparently not from the CD, though.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:29 am 

Thanks. Still, it would be nice with some samples from that particular cd you think warrants the band a spot in the database.

TheNecromancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 am 

I'm struggling to see why Caladan Brood was blacklisted as they're pretty much exactly the same as Summoning who are on the site, obviously.

https://soundcloud.com/caladan-brood/ec ... bum-teaser <<< teaser of their new album, the CD being released February 15th.

Page on Northern Silence with release date and editions: http://www.northern-silence.de/files/ca ... echoes.htm

Also, buyable here: http://shop.northern-silence.de/sites/g ... 0#det15514

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am 

TheNecromancer wrote:
I'm struggling to see why Caladan Brood was blacklisted as they're pretty much exactly the same as Summoning who are on the site, obviously.

https://soundcloud.com/caladan-brood/ec ... bum-teaser <<< teaser of their new album, the CD being released February 15th.

Page on Northern Silence with release date and editions: http://www.northern-silence.de/files/ca ... echoes.htm

Read here, they were blacklisted because people kept submitting them before the release date. If the album is indeed released now, then they should be removed from the blacklist.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 am 

TheNecromancer wrote:

Haha check my post on up the page ;) Indeed they could not be added due to not having a release out yet, this is part of the MA rules and something I had forgot all about in January, but as I previously stated they should be good to go, just have to wait for a mod to give the ok. I have the cd sitting at home now!

TheNecromancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 am 

Ah, good stuff, sorry for not reading the thread. Going to wait for the LP version, superb album, but I guess here isn't the place for that discussion.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 am 

Caladan Brood can be submitted now.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am 

dreadful35 wrote:
This isn't as much of a complaint or objection as it is a question of clarification.

My band Sassu Wunnu was denied because lack of valid release, I'm assuming because I submitted our digital-only demo, which I now more clearly understand is not preferred/generally accepted. I was reading through the rules about band submissions and happened across this quote.

"Length of material: The album must be a full-length. There is no hard-defined cut-off, as that would be arbitrary: a good guideline, however, would be roughly 30 minutes of original material. This is to avoid the kind of bands that have a lazy "promo single", or a "3 song EP", of which 2 are covers, for instance. Expect moderator discretion for evaluating this."

I was wondering if my submission was rejected because the material we have digitally released is considered a demo, basically. I'm aware that it is clearly stated that it must be a full length, so I guess that I had figured that had more to do with length than whether or not it's actually considered a full length release or a demo. So I guess that's my question. Is something like this judged by length of release and quality of release, or what the release is considered? I believe this could have just as easily been labeled as a full length, meeting the roughly 30 minute of original material requirement, but we don't consider it entirely representative of our current sound, so we didn't feel it deserved full length status. A band's sound changes, that's not something new, but it's no reason to not release material that has already been recorded.

I didn't reject it, but, essentially, yes, it's more of a demo and not what we'd consider a proper digital release. You even say that it contains older songs that don't really represent your sound anymore and were now put on Bandcamp for anyone interested. It's debatable, of course, "demo or full-length?" is difficult to judge sometimes, but in this case I feel that whatever this is isn't enough by itself, no matter the length. It's not what we would consider an intended, reasonably professional online release. There's also no real cover art, just the band name with "Demo 2013" white-on-black. We don't only consider the sheer length of a release but also how a band presents that release. This whole thing is moot, however, if you -as you claimed- are about to hand out physical copies at shows. Simply resubmit once you've distributed your first copies (with photos of CDs included) and there will be no problem or headscratching about whether this is an acceptable digital-only band. ;)

dreadful35 wrote:
I understand re-submission is not something that should generally be done, at least that's the vibe I get from the rules, so will there be any prejudice against the band because of a previous rejection?

Well, "prejudice" implies some kind of unreasonable, unfounded partiality towards the band, so no, of course not. We will however take the band's "history" here into account, so if there have been suspicious going-ons then we're of course twice as vigilant, but if they are acceptable then it will get approved just the same. There is nothing wrong with resubmission if the band submitted (now) fits the rules.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Caladan Brood can be submitted now.

Thank you Azmodes, added. Not sure why but it would not let me upload the album art from the computer here in my work for whatever reason?

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm 

Helvede wrote:
Thanks. Still, it would be nice with some samples from that particular cd you think warrants the band a spot in the database.

I was just trying to help the dude out. I don't really care about the band much, myself.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

No reason given for W.O.M.P., but as Helvede said, samples from that particular CD would be great. Upload them or email them to me and/or Helvede, whichever you prefer, invocator2k.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm 

This is more of a curiosity, but has there been any discussion at all among the moderators on the topic of Mnemic's most recent two albums?

On their first three albums, I've seen them get described as borderline. Probably too much modern influence. The question isn't about them, it's about their most recent two albums which after doing a search in this particular sub-forum yielded pretty much nothing on the topic. In fact, no posts mention "Mnemesis" and while I did bring up Sons of the System back when it was released in January, 2010, there seems to be no response relating to that album either. Unless a response was made that does not contain the word "Mnemic" in the text.

I think while they retain that modern metal sound on Mnemesis and Sons of the System, specifically industrial death metal with an atmosphere meant to invoke something futuristic. On one song there is a slight nod to Meshuggah's jazz fusion side with a very spacey guitar solo. In a way, the term "future fusion metal" is quite accurate in that regard, even if that's not what their actual genre is. Industrial melodic death metal, atmospheric industrial death metal, industrial death/groove metal (though I think the groove metal label is redundant for industrial metal bands since industrial metal is inherently 'groovy' to begin with).

I think this song is pretty indicative of their general sound on the album Mnemesis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wpTfXrBhsk

And here is a song from Sons of the System:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEixe1NHyng

There's heavy death and industrial metal based riffing throughout both songs. I'll await both the opinion on the metalness of those songs or the answer to the question if the albums were in fact previously discussed, but in a forum not searchable by the populous.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 am 

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Good lord, no.

Serious answer: I'm only vaguely familiar with early Mnemic, but if that song was indicative of the new album (I checked out one other song, "Valves" and my opinion hasn't swayed), then there's still precisely zero chance of them qualifying. Groovy, djenty riffs with whine vocals and the occasional sample? There were some parts that even reminded me of my nu metal days. Sorry, but this is absolutely still not going to cut it.

I don't mean to sound condescending here, but really, if a relatively well known band still isn't here, and their new albums may be kinda heavier but nobody's brought them up, it's probably because they still don't qualify. You're well known for the Soulfly crusade, which finally ended when they released a fully metal album, but since then I've seen you vouch for well known bands like BTBAM and now Mnemic (I think Kittie was you back in the day, though I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am). All I can think to say is: Dude, give it a rest.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 am 

The question was more about if the albums were discussed, even though no one has previously brought them up. I see your point though, the new albums haven't been brought up before probably because people come to the same conclusion the moderators do. Though I could have sworn what I was hearing was metal with a modern flare, it could be from listening to too much Meshuggah, Sybreed, Cypecore, Emergency Gate, Dawn of Memories to name a few. Not that I'm comparing Mnemic to those bands, but the futuristic atmosphere of those bands were probably similar enough that I associated what I was hearing from Mnemic to be generally metal because it evoked the same futuristic atmosphere, if I'm making any sense at all.

I remember the first time I heard 1000 Funerals and I do recall bringing them up way back when they only had Portrait of a Dream. It evoked the same atmosphere as other funeral doom bands and that's why I felt they were metal enough, even though guitars are only used on two out of five songs. The band was later added after Butterfly Decadence, where there is a total guitar presence (and a pleasant surprise to boot).

I did ask about Kittie, and got a response from Morrigan. Kittie's most recent album has melodic death metal elements but Morrigan thought it wasn't metal enough. That answer is satisfactory until the next Kittie album, which could probably be the one to tip the scales in metalness. I'm only guessing what could be based on how they performed when I saw them live last Spring. They certainly played a lot of the death metal based songs, and while some songs had clean singing I didn't hear anything that struck me as 'mallcore' - conversely, I did see them several years before. I left that show early because I was bored, and they did lots of nu-metal stuff back then. Sometimes a shift in a band's sound can be heard before the album comes out based on what kinds of songs they play. I had more to type about that but I think that's a good idea for a thread.

I apologize if I ever get annoying with all of these questions about bands though. I'm really only trying to help.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 am 

Helping by adding lame non metal bands to the site? :ugh:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:35 pm 

Hello, Alhadis, I'm bringing up Bathtub Shitter again... but this time I have uploaded a cd to prove their metalness and they deserve to be on this kick axe site.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s4s7symul ... hitter.zip
Bathtub Shitter - Early Yeah(S)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm 

You know that's not an album, it's a comp of early material.

"original songs from split 7" with DUDMAN, FERTILIZER 7" EP, 97+3 SHIT POINTS 7" EP, ONE FUN 7" EP, V/A CD "MURDEROUS GRIND ATTACK" and features 3 unreleased version of SHIT FLY, TOWER, and LIFE IS ONE LINK from old recording"

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 pm 

If I had the original demos that they released in '96 and '97 I would have given those as examples instead but those were only available in Japan and out of print by the time I actually heard Bathtub Shitter. But some of those songs are included here and that are metal and it's a physical release and had world wide distribution

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 pm 

Tracks 13,14,15,16 & 17 are from Demo 97

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:04 am 

why is Neosis blacklisted? http://www.neosis.ch/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Helping by adding lame non metal bands to the site? :ugh:

This. Goatfangs, shut the fuck up already. You're really trying my patience.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 pm 

I emailed Bathtub Shitter to see if I could possible get their demo tapes and if I do and can provide those mp3's, would they be acceptable then? Because those early songs clearly have metal riffs.

Mercyful_kill1245
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:36 am 

Is the Michael Schenker Group metal enough to be on here? The first two albums are quite metal.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 am 

Mercyful_kill1245 wrote:
Is the Michael Schenker Group metal enough to be on here? The first two albums are quite metal still hard rock.

FTFY. ;)

Quote:
I emailed Bathtub Shitter to see if I could possible get their demo tapes and if I do and can provide those mp3's, would they be acceptable then? Because those early songs clearly have metal riffs.

Yeah, dude... listen, please stop trying. :ugh: I hear the metallic riffs, but they're too sparse. The bulk of the music still has a very punk-driven vibe. Just... give it a rest, please.

souvikpunk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 am 

hello, why was the band mistet fjell put in the blacklist? it was previously accepted in metal archives but when i checked some weeks ago,i saw it wasnt thr and it was in the blacklist, pls kindly tell the reason, thank you \m/

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 am 

Ok, then, thank you anyways :)
that was the last try.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:20 am 

RazorDick wrote:
Ok, then, thank you anyways :) that was the last try.

Sorry dude. I'm a fan, but I know where the site lies with grind... :p

souvikpunk wrote:
hello, why was the band mistet fjell put in the blacklist? it was previously accepted in metal archives but when i checked some weeks ago,i saw it wasnt thr and it was in the blacklist, pls kindly tell the reason, thank you \m/

Doesn't hurt to use the search function, mate: viewtopic.php?p=2201725#p2201725

Deleted for being a drone/noise/dark ambient project with only minimal metal influence, completely void of riffs.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 am 

Trying to add Astral Monolith but they are blacklisted, probably because they have no physical release. Can they be
added now? Full length was released last year.

http://astralmonolith.bandcamp.com/

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 am 

STORMM wrote:
Trying to add Astral Monolith but they are blacklisted, probably because they have no physical release. Can they be added now? Full length was released last year.

Sorry mate, seems they've been blacklisted for being predominantly riffless dark ambient.

They were blacklisted this year too, which indicates their full-length has already been judged.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 am 

Alhadis wrote:
STORMM wrote:
Trying to add Astral Monolith but they are blacklisted, probably because they have no physical release. Can they be added now? Full length was released last year.

Sorry mate, seems they've been blacklisted for being predominantly riffless dark ambient.

They were blacklisted this year too, which indicates their full-length has already been judged.

Cheers Alhadis, thanks for checking.

RussKroeker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:20 pm 

Hi. I'm new to this so please be patient with me. I thought I'd list my band PILLAR from Kent, WA, but it says it's been blacklisted for some strange reason. We were around form 1994 till 1998. We had a very well received demo "Foreplay" in 94' and released our full length CD "Tone" on MORIBUND Records in 96'. I know there was another 2 that popped up after us in 96' and 97', the later a Christian metal band. Pics and music are at my website http://sonofgo6.wix.com/russkroekermusic. Thank you, Russ
PS. This is my third attempt to post this in the correct category by following a link that another member gave to me. Maybe I'm just not smart enough for this stuff? Hope this works.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm 

^ Don't know which of the Pillar bands that is in the blacklist, but the music you linked to is kind of borderline, and I'm not sure I'd consider it metal?? I guess it has more similarities with grunge, alternative and hard rock. How would you describe it yourself?

Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 pm 

I have noticed that the band Agoraphobic Nosebleed is not listed in the MA. I'm pretty sure they are metal and they have plenty of releases so, I would like to know why they have been blacklisted.

Proof of releases and metalness: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Agoraphobic+Nosebleed
http://www.relapse.com/label/artist/agoraphobic-nosebleed.html

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm 

Please, use the search function, this band has been brought up several times already. The consensus hasn't changed.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

RussKroeker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 am 

Well, Pillar was certainly Metal, but the link provided to the sample material I guess is not as "Metal" as the songs not chosen for the webpage. There wasn't enough room at Soundcloud to include other material. I guess all can say is that the type of bands Pillar played with back in the day were Forced Entry, Panic, Nevermore...that sorta stuff. But Pillar had no really fast material...just heavy and dark.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 am 

RussKroeker wrote:
Well, Pillar was certainly Metal, but the link provided to the sample material I guess is not as "Metal" as the songs not chosen for the webpage. There wasn't enough room at Soundcloud to include other material. I guess all can say is that the type of bands Pillar played with back in the day were Forced Entry, Panic, Nevermore...that sorta stuff. But Pillar had no really fast material...just heavy and dark.

I believe the blacklisted Pillar must be the Christian band you mentioned before because blacklist note says 'godly hardcore'. It would be nice if you could upload your Pillar to a place like youtube or make a private share of your material. Then you can resubmit it - including samples - and we'll make a decision (I'd like someone else's opinion too). You can refer to this thread as why you circumvent the blacklist (because of the other US band with the same name).

whatdeydomeng
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:21 am 

UndeadIdiot said:
Quote:
More noise/hardcore than black metal.

In response here are metal oriented review sites and album post sites which have referenced Ghede:
http://americanaftermath.net/2011/12/03 ... ce-things/ (number 12)
mentioned again here:
http://gnartallica.files.wordpress.com/ ... party3.png
Russian BM post site
http://discoloringyourlife.blogspot.com ... -2011.html
Another russian extrme metal posting site
http://dark-world.ru/albums/Ghede-Ixxi-mmxi-Demo.php
Here is a flyer for a upcoming BM gig featuring Anicon and Vorde
http://www.facebook.com/events/549019781784314/?fref=ts
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 6714_n.jpg

Here is a BM Label that is selling the IX.XI Tape
http://brokenlimbs.storenvy.com/product ... de-demo-cs

Please Readress, Im actually quite confused, it seems pretty straight forward. Thanks, Fiz

Kevbo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:28 pm 

Just a quick question, but why is the band White Widows blacklisted? Their first release doesn't even drop until the 1st of March. If this is a stylistic issue, I can SOMEWHAT understand it, but your guidelines are not mine and I'm not trying to argue them. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't an older band using the same name that was blacklisted. Thanks.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 541  Next