Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
drunb
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:30 pm 

Good evening, moderators

So, the band Tsalmavet was rejected on the account of fitting more into the progressive rock genre and less into that of melodic metal.

While I understand that claim, as the band is heavily influenced by the aforementioned musical genre, I don't agree with it. Maybe it's the horrible demo sound, but I just find the music itself very metal-ish. If we are to take the first song on the album, ...and We Close Our Eyes, for example we'll hear, first of all, the heavily distorted guitars and hard-hitting drums, as well as the growls during the bridge and the whole dissonant feel of many of the chords there.

The rest of the songs include heavy metal more than any other genre of music in them, with Eagles being something of a NWOBHM tribute, Fear very much reminiscient of doom metal, From Blood to Dust having a speed/heavy metal base and ...and He Turned to Stone having a lot in common with progressive metal.

If I am mistaken with any of the observations I made above I'd be more than glad to hear it from you, and anyway, thanks for the time invested in listening to the band.
Have a great week.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:50 pm 

drunb wrote:
Good evening, moderators

So, the band Tsalmavet was rejected on the account of fitting more into the progressive rock genre and less into that of melodic metal.

While I understand that claim, as the band is heavily influenced by the aforementioned musical genre, I don't agree with it. Maybe it's the horrible demo sound, but I just find the music itself very metal-ish. If we are to take the first song on the album, ...and We Close Our Eyes, for example we'll hear, first of all, the heavily distorted guitars and hard-hitting drums, as well as the growls during the bridge and the whole dissonant feel of many of the chords there.

The rest of the songs include heavy metal more than any other genre of music in them, with Eagles being something of a NWOBHM tribute, Fear very much reminiscient of doom metal, From Blood to Dust having a speed/heavy metal base and ...and He Turned to Stone having a lot in common with progressive metal.

If I am mistaken with any of the observations I made above I'd be more than glad to hear it from you, and anyway, thanks for the time invested in listening to the band.
Have a great week.

"Despite the fact that my favorite music genre is metal, I equally love progressive rock and I like various other genres (such as new age, traditional folk, ambient and classical), so you'll have to forgive me for not being 100% metal (more like 50%)."
That's basically your band, it's not predominantly metal. Maybe if you guys want to be considered metal, you should probably play heavier stuff haha. This sounds like heavy progressive rock, sorry.

If some other mods want to check it out: https://tsalmavetil.bandcamp.com/releases

Please include the links when you're posting a band here.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am 

I tried to submit a band (Horror of Pestilence), and received the following message with the rejection: "Yup, nope, should read the rules next time. Trying to circumvent the blacklist leads to a ban, expect it shortly." Well, I didn't get any kind of blacklist notification. Mind you, I have experienced the blacklist notification before, years ago, when I tried to submit Riot Squat from Papua New Guinea, and I stopped right there. I did not try to "circumvent the blacklist," rather, I never even received a notification that the band was blacklisted.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am 

That'd probably be because you spelt it wrong. :p You wrote "Horror of Pestlience" instead, which didn't get caught by the filters.

Please be aware that this is a very common technique many nefarious users have tried to get blacklisted bands under our noses. In your case, it was probably just an honest typo (which was met with really shit luck, mind you).

I doubt you'll cop a banning for this, but consider yourself warned; it never hurts to spell-check. ;)

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 am 

Wow. Surprised I didn't catch that. I'm usually quite OCD about stuff like that.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:51 am 

:facepalm: Yeah. Well. I fucking hate our language's alphabet.

Whose fucking bright idea was it to make a lowercase "L" look like an I?

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:58 am 

Maybe I need glasses.

Die_God
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 pm 

Well i want an apeel. Is a good one cause it's not simple.

The project is called Sammy Dammax.

I posted a album of a friend, its not my thing, but i'm pretty sure it's metalish project, yet even it doesn't seem. I'll argue, in a objective thus non objective basis, as well social evidences for this dude be part of metal scene. As it is, you're free to accept or deny each one.

a) This project has a lot of electronic music elements, but it's not new to metal.
b) Even with a lot of electronic elements, it not sounds like pure industrial music, not even is like a simple industrial rock.
c) The guitar and drums, in a metalish way, is the core of all songs.
d) He's a guitarrist of american band Chemicals of Democracy, listed here in MA, so it's a kinda side project.
e) It's instrumental, but it's not new or a negative point to frame it as metal
f) The cover art was made by brazilian Gustavo Sazes, thats a well known worldwide artist that works mainly in metal scene.
g) It may sounds strange, but to cut out everything that is strange may kill the capability to absorb new changes in metal music
h) If you compare with bands that is not high standardized kind of metal (like melodic or extremes) it sounds metal by far

It's not the sound i like, but it is metal for sure, is not hardcore, is not electronic, is not just rock and have the metal core inside for sure. Well, hope you accept my plea. Thank you all for time and patience. Sorry my bad english.

Here's the link, if you like:

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/album/shade ... 24703?l=en

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 pm 

Why the side project of Ricardo Iorio (Almafuerte, Ex-V8, Ex-Hermetica) has been added to the black list? Ricardo Iorio it's very important in the Spanish Heavy Metal, and as far as I have understood, the side project of notable artists are usually added to the page.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:38 am 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
Why the side project of Ricardo Iorio (Almafuerte, Ex-V8, Ex-Hermetica) has been added to the black list? Ricardo Iorio it's very important in the Spanish Heavy Metal, and as far as I have understood, the side project of notable artists are usually added to the page.

Yeah, sorry, side-projects are now handled exclusively by staff members. As of September 2015, users are forbidden from submitting non-metal side-projects.

I'd give you a rundown as to why, but honestly, that post I've linked you to explains everything quite clearly.

EpicDismemberment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:34 pm 

Is this Nibiru which was blacklisted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_BHTerOJNU

https://www.discogs.com/Nibiru-Demo-200 ... se/1201146

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:03 pm 

Doesn't say. But given the amount of ambient in the YT link... probably.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 pm 

Come to think of it, if I were really trying to circumvent the blacklist, I'd enter it HorrorOfPestilence, all one word, in true hardcore/metalcore fashion (I'm assuming they are blacklisted for being too metalcore), instead of switching the L and the I, which makes the spelling incorrect.

a6stringplague
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:04 am 

why is my band blacklisted? shadow of eve

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:00 am 

Blacklisted because people kept resubmitting it without proof of a valid release.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:46 am 

Die_God wrote:
d) He's a guitarrist of american band Chemicals of Democracy, listed here in MA, so it's a kinda side project.
[..]
f) The cover art was made by brazilian Gustavo Sazes, thats a well known worldwide artist that works mainly in metal scene.

These are irrelevant, we only assess the music itself. Just saying. Anyway, do you by any chance have a link that isn't iTunes? Most mods (including me) don't have an account there.

FYI, the band was blacklisted in 2014 for being "mostly instrumental rock". Also, it's spelled Sammy Damaxx, not Dammax.

ntghwlk wrote:
I suppose you don't like posts "I tried to submit my band..." from one-post-users, as I do. But Encyclopaedia is my fundamental place for musical search, and after a year of hesitation I decided to try submitting my band, indeed. And as you could guess - it was orangebox-rejected.

The band calls Obsidian Mantra. I didn't find it on the blacklist, nor in any threads. You can listen to it HERE. We have physical 30' EP. I suspect that our term "atmospheric modern metal" may be not so encouraging, but I belive we have a solid death metal root in our music and we have nothing in common with a typical djent or other groove metal bands. But, of course, it is my feeling.

Regardless of the outcome, it will be great to know your opinion.

Blacklisting reason was lack of metal riffs.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:39 pm 

Hei the band I was trying to submit, Black Metal Snowball Fight. Was rejected on the basis of proof of a physical digital release, I was told to look at rules on digital releases which I have done. However im a tad confused, with regard to finding relevant evidence.
In my submission notes, I added a release date. And serial code, as well as two sites of the bands record label. Which correlated the information of the split album, would be grateful for help and advice. On how to get it right.
Thank you. RasvaaP. :)

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:59 pm 

Why Ten Masked Men are blacklisted?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:09 pm 

MetalMuxxer wrote:
Why Ten Masked Men are blacklisted?

Blacklist note isn't terribly helpful, but it says the band simply isn't metal.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:12 pm 

Also if I'm not mistaken, they're a cover band. So even if they sounded straight up like Cannibal Corpse, they'd still be blacklisted. A band needs a full release of original material. A cover tacked on the end of a full length is one thing, but it's the same reason Powerglove is blacklisted.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:11 am 

Hi,

Nord Frost from Kazakhstan is blacklisted after their album Beatitudo?

http://darkeastproductions.bandcamp.com ... -beatitudo

thanks.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Also if I'm not mistaken, they're a cover band. So even if they sounded straight up like Cannibal Corpse, they'd still be blacklisted. A band needs a full release of original material. A cover tacked on the end of a full length is one thing, but it's the same reason Powerglove is blacklisted.

I haven't followed them in a while, but yes, as far as I know, they're a cover band, death metal-ising contemporary pop/rock songs.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 am 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,

thanks.

No, but the blacklisting still holds because this is still ambient. A few chugging, background filler riffs here and there but that's it.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:45 am 

Diamhea wrote:
MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,

thanks.

No, but the blacklisting still holds because this is still ambient. A few chugging, background filler riffs here and there but that's it.

Thanks

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:11 pm 

I'm gonna get so much hate for this, but what about Bullet For My Valentine? Their album Scream Aim Fire is pretty much like Trivium's "Shogun" and their new album's pretty metal too.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:28 pm 

Nothing like Shogun at all. Not even close to acceptable.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:00 pm 

The only thing you're gonna get so much hate for is using the phrase "I'm gonna get so much hate for this" instead of the search function.

Bonziepsycho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:16 pm 

I was wondering why Derisive Entity was rejected. I thought their sound was almost identical to Acrania.

https://derisiveentity.bandcamp.com/album/promo-2016

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 am 

Bonziepsycho wrote:
I was wondering why Derisive Entity was rejected. I thought their sound was almost identical to Acrania.

https://derisiveentity.bandcamp.com/album/promo-2016

Apparently this is slam, without any real semblance of proper riffing structure outside of a few select moments.

Last.fm

SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:06 am 

Muhammadabbadabba wrote:
Severb wrote:
@Azmodes
Konkwista 88 - Mafia - off their first full-lenght album Za Krew Naszej Rasy,
Konkwista 88 - Strażnicy Granic - off the second album Wolność i Śmierć,
Konkwista 88 - Czerwony zdrajca - off Break the Chains when actually they started going much heavier,
Konkwista 88 - Duma - another example of them going into thrash/groove stuff.

Polish skinhead band Honor is there on Metal-Archives while Konkwista 88 is blacklisted, that's what I'm talking about - they were as heavy as Honor was.
Figure I'd chime in here. They're more Hard Rock than Metal, especially Krew Naszej Rasy; in fact, several songs are raspy ballads. While some heavier things are going on in European Songs of Glory, it's still within the Hard Rock territory if you ask me.

For what it's worth, Break the Chains sounds significantly heavier, so that one might merit inclusion.

I reckon Honor's inclusion stems from In Flames of The Rising Power; that album is consistently Metal.

Keep in mind that even when citing Metal bands as influences, RAC bands may ultimately come to produce something very different. In spite of citing Deep Purple and Iron Maiden as influences, Day of the Sword's entire discography includes exactly one Metal song; the rest is a mix of Oi!, Hardcore and Hard Rock. Razors Edge has exactly one Metal song as well.

I would disagree:
This oen for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDUUnpXVeIU
Drum and guitar rock is too heavy for rock, it's not punk either.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:37 am 

So... any thoughts about this?
viewtopic.php?p=2595459#p2595459
Carrion Witch

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:39 am 

Was there ever a verdict made about Don Dokken's Up from the Ashes? It seems a little odd that Dokken are included and this album isn't.

NorseDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:57 pm 

Hi guys! I know that this has been discussed several times in the past, and I sincerely like how you mods manage the non-metal projects issue, but I really think that one bands is missing in the archive, and this band is MZ.412. By the way, the used to be on the archive in the past, but they were deleted.
In the rules we read "Additionally, there will be some non-metal bands featured on the site that we feel are still part of the metal scene despite not being metal themselves (usually darkwave, ambient, neo-classical and/or folk bands, examples being Mortiis, Elend, Autumn Tears, Stille Volk, etc). These bands are selected by the moderators in an admittedly arbitrary fashion, and their submission by normal users is discouraged. Please bear with us on this.". I think that these exceptions are properly considered part of the metal scene despite they don't play metal and, following this reasoning, MZ.412 are absolutely one of these! They had a Black Metal attitude and look, their members have several links with other metal bands, and I think that every metalheads feel that MZ.412 are part of the metal scene much more then Elend or Stille Volk!
What do you think?

tantuminobscurum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:01 pm 

So a month or so ago I tried to submit the band Finite from Vancouver, Canada and my submission was rejected because their only release was a split and it was only digital.

However now they made physical copies.
https://www.facebook.com/55485043466561 ... =3&theater

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:22 pm 

tantuminobscurum wrote:
So a month or so ago I tried to submit the band Finite from Vancouver, Canada and my submission was rejected because their only release was a split and it was only digital.

However now they made physical copies.
https://www.facebook.com/55485043466561 ... =3&theater

Go ahead and resubmit. Don't forget to add that link in the submission notes.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 pm 

NorseDave wrote:
MZ.412

Who?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:35 pm 

Please don't bring up side-projects in this thread.

NorseDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:52 pm 

Azmodes wrote:

Ehm, where then?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:02 am 

NorseDave wrote:
Azmodes wrote:

Ehm, where then?

Not at all, preferably. Submission and discussion of new side-project listings was made staff-only in September 2015.

Though apparently at least one mod disagrees with me on disallowing users to bring them up at all. If that's what we end up going with, never mind me.

NorseDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:44 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Not at all, preferably. Submission and discussion of new side-project listings was made staff-only in September 2015.

Though apparently at least one mod disagrees with me on disallowing users to bring them up at all. If that's what we end up going with, never mind me.

Despite the fact that Mz.412 aren't a "new side-project", but a solid band active since 1989, I'll take in consideration what you're saying. Could you please at least discuss about Mz.412 with other mods? I really think that they should be part of the few execptions of the site for the strong connection with the BM scene.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371 ... 541  Next