Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 am 

Lithuanian death metal band Posterity split-up several days ago. In 2010 they have recorded an album "Price Of Greed", which, unfortunately, has never been released. Before splitting the band officially uploaded their album for free download right at this place - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xfgd2ve45nekznv/Posterity%20-(2010)%20Price%20of%20greed(Death%20metal)%5BLT%5D.rar. The link has been also shared on their official site (https://www.facebook.com/PosterityLT?ref=stream). The album has a tracklist, a cover and back-cover. Can it be submitted? (sorry, those digital releases are still slimy for me...)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 am 

Well, I wasn't too sure at first because you said it was never released, so that upload seemed more like an afterthought. "Oh, yeah that never happened, but here's the stuff we recorded regardless, check if you like..." But from the cover art and booklet included it looks like a valid digital release for all intents and purposes. The band seems to regard it as such. So I'd say this is fine to submit.

odium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Well, I wasn't too sure at first because you said it was never released, so that upload seemed more like an afterthought. "Oh, yeah that never happened, but here's the stuff we recorded regardless, check if you like..." But from the cover art and booklet included it looks like a valid digital release for all intents and purposes. The band seems to regard it as such. So I'd say this is fine to submit.

Well, I tried, but it was rejected, as "A Dropbox link isn't useful; the links could be moved or taken down at any given moment". Got it.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 am 

odium wrote:
Well, I tried, but it was rejected, as "A Dropbox link isn't useful; the links could be moved or taken down at any given moment". Got it.

I'm sorry, that was my rejection: I didn't see Azmodes's response in this thread.

Eh, I don't know how "permanent" DropBox is when it comes to hosting music... isn't it possible for the band to host it somewhere a little more, well, permanent?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am 

Meh, maybe you have a point about Dropbox, but not sure how it is any more less permanent than Mediafire or its ilk. And it's shared on their official Facebook page.

IT amateur speaking here. :P

EDIT: Hm, nevermind, there is the fact that the files can be removed/manipulated very easily on Dropbox... Pity that the band has this presentable release and is only sharing it in a half-arsed way.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm 

Furthermore, the content on Dropbox can normally only be deleted by the one who uploaded it, it's unlikely that it will be deleted by Dropbox itself. So it seems to be more permanent than Mediafire etc. where often even legal uploads are being deleted because Mediafire etc. think they'd be illegal.

Even Bandcamp pages are not any more permanent than Dropbox, also they can be deleted by their owner at any time.

(I'm no expert either, that's just what I know from my experience)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:32 pm 

Yes, but the reason behind DropBox's existence is to provide a means of temporary storage - not permanent, everlasting storage. Of course Mediafire links are prone to deletion as well, but I feel it'd be much safer if content was hosted on a medium intended to be permanent, instead of something that's essentially an online locker.

(Does this make sense...?)

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 am 

There's actually a report about the band Acrania from Mexico - there's an EP that someone added to them that's actually a UK band with the same name. I went to add the UK band and it was blacklisted. It's certainly metal enough - is the blacklist simply because the EP isn't enough to warrant an entry right now?

Here's the band:

http://acrania.bandcamp.com/album/the-b ... the-end-ep

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 am 

Feel free to submit them.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm 

Fantastic. They are in there now.

Wargnattallfihrr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm 

I'd like to negotiate on the rejection of Rat-De-Cave to the archives. I got the message, that the link I gave was too obscure and the origin of the music couldn't be defined.

Well, take a look at http://www.smellthestench.net/net.htm, search for Rat-De-Cave (use the browser function, scrolling will take you nowhere, because the page is freaking huge) and there it is.

May I resubmit? Thanks for your time!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Ah, my mistake. That's the one link I missed. :P Alright then, resubmit.

Wargnattallfihrr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm 

Done. Thank you very much.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:50 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Yes, but the reason behind DropBox's existence is to provide a means of temporary storage - not permanent, everlasting storage. Of course Mediafire links are prone to deletion as well, but I feel it'd be much safer if content was hosted on a medium intended to be permanent, instead of something that's essentially an online locker.

(Does this make sense...?)

Not really. DropBox is not less permanent than Mediafire. Sciera has a point, at least Dropbox won't delete your own uploads...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:36 pm 

This doesn't concern a rejection that has occurred, but I have a general question: say that a band has one or two singles of songs that do not belong on any previous or forthcoming album that fill the criteria for "metalness" where their albums released thus far might not make the cut, and that these singles are the most recent releases by the band in question. Do we accept them based on those singles, or do we need a full-length album of "metal enough" material first?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm 

Full-length album.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 pm 

Thought as much. Thank you.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

wicked-ways
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 pm 

THRASHEADEREK wrote:
Alright, posting in an effort to resubmit the band Sick/Tired.
They have a new sound/lineup that is way more metal than before, it is grindcore taking more from the death metal side of things in terms of chugging and winding riffs and the vocals are death growls mixed with screams.
new tracks (rabid dogs is a coc cover fyi): http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/

In addition to that they have recorded sludge metal songs before, here are links to a couple:
http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/track/the-lifetaker
http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/track/banishment

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 am 

Ask yourself the question if these songs are off one release or from several different releases. The Moderators will do the same and if it's the latter one they will probably reject them.

DoomedShinobi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:57 pm 

Greetings!!
First of all, please excuse me for my poor English and also typing! :P
I submitted my band, Roaring Empyrean some days age and now I see it's rejected due to the lack of metalness (or whatever you call this issue). I've read your submission rules twice, before submitting my band, but I khnew it had a chance of rejection because of the mixed genres. I tried to (this is my own band) mix two diverse genres in music, New Age and Doom Metal, with ethnic elements. I rely on two phrases from your site's rules now, to try to convince you to accept my band: 1st): "it must have metal riffs" & 2nd): "The metal elements must outweigh the non-metal ones" I want to ask you to listen to these songs from the first, and only one relesed album. And then to re-decide whether to reject it or not:
-This is the most metallic song so far: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... hs+to+Fade
-Also another song with many metal passages: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... r+Insanity
-This one has the most "doom metal-ish" passages (specially at the endig 3 minutes), and also many non-metal parts: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... +in+Misery
(in my categorizing) on the new/first album there are 2 songs like the first link, almost completely metal, 2 songs like the second link, many metal parts, 2 songs like the 3rd link, a little here adn a little there, and 3 songs clean of metal riffs (WHICH TO OF THEM ARE THE INTRO & THE OUTRO, first and the 8th track on the album: http://uscu.unitedstudios.ru/2013/01/ro ... heart.html )
Thank you very much for your time!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm 

This isn't even remotely doom metal, or any kind of metal for that matter. The rejection message you got from Morrigan is the one you'd get from any other mod, believe me. There are no "mixed genres" here, this is dark ambient/acoustic/folk that has a gloomy, ponderous atmosphere. That doesn't make it doom metal.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm 

THRASHEADEREK wrote:
Alright, posting in an effort to resubmit the band Sick/Tired.
They have a new sound/lineup that is way more metal than before, it is grindcore taking more from the death metal side of things in terms of chugging and winding riffs and the vocals are death growls mixed with screams.
new tracks (rabid dogs is a coc cover fyi): http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/

In addition to that they have recorded sludge metal songs before, here are links to a couple:
http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/track/the-lifetaker
http://sick-tired.bandcamp.com/track/banishment

That first link is to an "album" titled "Unreleased LP sample tracks 2013" with three songs and one cover... so I'm not even going to bother checking this out.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:30 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
This isn't even remotely doom metal, or any kind of metal for that matter. The rejection message you got from Morrigan is the one you'd get from any other mod, believe me. There are no "mixed genres" here, this is dark ambient/acoustic/folk that has a gloomy, ponderous atmosphere. That doesn't make it doom metal.

This is doom metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2q-PPdF7c0

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

DoomedShinobi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:32 pm 

Regarding Roaring Empyrean, Did you listen to the linked songs I wrote? If no, please do...but if you already did, then just tell me so I'll leave my band's submission for later, when new albums released. Thank you!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36 pm 

Of course I did. So did Morrigan when she first rejected it. I wish you all the best with your music, but this is not metal in any shape or form.

DoomedShinobi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm 

OK, Thanks for your time and concern then!

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm 

Raul Palomo were rejected for the reason of "blatant poweviolence"

Yeah those songs I gave from youtube were bad examples but that was all I could find but I got their demo cd from them yesterday so here it is, they are Grindcore/Powerviolence with Death Metal riffs

http://www.mediafire.com/?f26ky9fgbyuzcdh

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

I was going to add the band Eastern Orbit from Japan, but they were blacklisted since they were only hard rock. Before 1982 they went under the name of Heavy Metal Army who are featured on the archives but were added and approved after Eastern Orbit had already been rejected.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hea ... 3540339936
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
I was going to add the band Eastern Orbit from Japan, but they were blacklisted since they were only hard rock. Before 1982 they went under the name of Heavy Metal Army who are featured on the archives but were added and approved after Eastern Orbit had already been rejected.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hea ... 3540339936

And then what's the problem? If they played Metal under their old name and then changed their name and at the same time (or earlier) changed their genre to Hard Rock, as you say, then everything is as it should be.
We consider these 2 manifestations of the band as seperate bands when it comes to the question whether they should get entries.
If they hadn't released anything as "Eastern Orbit" they wouldn't have an entry under that name, too.

If you think they haven't changed their sound so much that one manifestation should be allowed and the other shouldn't, please provide us some samples.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 am 

Sciera wrote:
We consider these 2 manifestations of the band as seperate bands when it comes to the question whether they should get entries.

Thanks Sciera, was just checking that to be sure. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm 

Hello, I submitted an old El Paso one man band called CreepShow and it was rejected because of lack of evidence. The photographs of the CD are in the zip folder with the music I provided from my Mediafire account. As for getting ahold of Milo I haven't seen him in years and he is a very anti-social person too but if I ever do see him I will ask him.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 pm 

Hm, resubmit. :oh shit:

EDIT: Actually, restored.

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:53 pm 

Thank you!! :)

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:38 pm 

Has moderator had a chance to download Raul Palomo? Thank you. :)

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm 

RazorDick wrote:
Has moderator had a chance to download Raul Palomo? Thank you. :)

Yeah, sorry dude. There's metallic touches sprinkled throughout, but the bulk of the music is predominantly powerviolence/punk-fuelled grindcore. Sorry.

RazorDick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:07 pm 

Okay thanks! Maybe their next release will be more metal like their live shows, the cover art for their next release is made, they just need to record. Thanks again, when they release their next demo or album, I'll ask again :)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

DoomedShinobi wrote:
-This is the most metallic song so far: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... hs+to+Fade
-Also another song with many metal passages: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... r+Insanity
-This one has the most "doom metal-ish" passages (specially at the endig 3 minutes), and also many non-metal parts: http://www.last.fm/music/Roaring+Empyre ... +in+Misery
(in my categorizing) on the new/first album there are 2 songs like the first link, almost completely metal, 2 songs like the second link, many metal parts, 2 songs like the 3rd link, a little here adn a little there, and 3 songs clean of metal riffs (WHICH TO OF THEM ARE THE INTRO & THE OUTRO, first and the 8th track on the album: http://uscu.unitedstudios.ru/2013/01/ro ... heart.html )

Sorry, I had to:

Spoiler: show

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

GucumatzKalam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm 

Greetings again, the first Omacatl demo is a guitar...
But the Single and the full-lenght are better...

Check

This is Black Metal, Black/Folk Metal

http://thesiteofandroid29a.bandcamp.com ... tra-tierra (Full - lenght) (Available online and physical)

http://thesiteofandroid29a.bandcamp.com ... -la-tierra (Single available online)

Thanks

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 pm 

Hey guys, is it ok to add Caladan Brood now? I know the official release date is still a day away but I can confirm Northern Silence have been shipping the pre-orders from the weekend and it is now also available to buy in the shop http://shop.northern-silence.de/ . I stupidly tried to add them in January without thinking only to be corrected by Azmodes. Thanks.

dreadful35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm 

This isn't as much of a complaint or objection as it is a question of clarification.

My band Sassu Wunnu was denied because lack of valid release, I'm assuming because I submitted our digital-only demo, which I now more clearly understand is not preferred/generally accepted. I was reading through the rules about band submissions and happened across this quote.

"Length of material: The album must be a full-length. There is no hard-defined cut-off, as that would be arbitrary: a good guideline, however, would be roughly 30 minutes of original material. This is to avoid the kind of bands that have a lazy "promo single", or a "3 song EP", of which 2 are covers, for instance. Expect moderator discretion for evaluating this."

I was wondering if my submission was rejected because the material we have digitally released is considered a demo, basically. I'm aware that it is clearly stated that it must be a full length, so I guess that I had figured that had more to do with length than whether or not it's actually considered a full length release or a demo. So I guess that's my question. Is something like this judged by length of release and quality of release, or what the release is considered? I believe this could have just as easily been labeled as a full length, meeting the roughly 30 minute of original material requirement, but we don't consider it entirely representative of our current sound, so we didn't feel it deserved full length status. A band's sound changes, that's not something new, but it's no reason to not release material that has already been recorded.

Also, would further proof that the band is a real band possibly help our cause? I could send a couple of links to help in that case. A review of the band from a magazine and maybe some show flyers/pictures to show that we've played live before? I know those aren't necessarily what you are looking for, but I included in the band submission notes that copies of the demo were to be handed out at shows, so I figured proof that we've played shows might help in that regard.

Would any of this help? Or would you just rather we wait until we have a full physical release out. I know that's preferred, but is it possible to get the band on the site with some more evidence that we are in fact an actual band, and not some half-hearted project? One last thing, and thank you for reading as much as you have. I understand re-submission is not something that should generally be done, at least that's the vibe I get from the rules, so will there be any prejudice against the band because of a previous rejection?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 ... 541  Next