Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am 

Hello I was trying to add band Cerebus from the US, and it said that the band has been blacklisted. Here is link to some of the bands music, to see if you think it is metal enough for MA thank you. :) http://totaldeathcore.bandcamp.com/album/hallelujah

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:43 am 

Blacklist says it's more djent/-core than metal. Based on those two songs, I agree.

mspalla
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 am 

Good morning!!
I think my band's song can be classificated Heavy Metal, but you guys will decide. You can listen to the Full Album right here https://soundcloud.com/bandatourette/se ... of-control

I hope you enjoy it, we really want to be part of this site, it's very important to us.

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/br/artist/tourette/id164174414

Thank you

Massimo Spalla

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Blacklist says it's more djent/-core than metal. Based on those two songs, I agree.

Thank you for your comments. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 am 

mspalla wrote:
Good morning!!
I think my band's song can be classificated Heavy Metal, but you guys will decide. You can listen to the Full Album right here https://soundcloud.com/bandatourette/se ... of-control

I hope you enjoy it, we really want to be part of this site, it's very important to us.

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/br/artist/tourette/id164174414

Thank you

Massimo Spalla

Sounds like grunge/alternative rock, not metal.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:54 am 

Azmodes wrote:
The Rules wrote:
[..] Scorpions [..] are not considered metal by some. Understandable, as their music and heaviness varied and was debatable at times. But what they sometimes lacked in "metalness", they made for in historical importance, and they are there to stay.

Ah. I suppose then UFO never really made it outside of the UK and beyond Maiden and such. Not always easy to tell the significance of bands from a limited retrospective viewpoint...

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:
Ah. I suppose then UFO never really made it outside of the UK and beyond Maiden and such. Not always easy to tell the significance of bands from a limited retrospective viewpoint...

UFO made it in the US, however, they certainly weren't as big as the Scorpions or Maiden and at least here in the states have no real historical impact. I'm very familiar with both bands though and while I would have considered early Scorpions to be metal, I've always thought of UFO as a hard rock band. If I put them side by side the differences are likely minimal so I guess that's where the history and influence come into play.

Asty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm 

Can you guys explain to me why Amogh Symphony was removed and blacklisted from Metal Archives?
their new album is not exactly metal, but two thirds of their discography is top-notch progressive instrumental technical death metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPAdsGsDSKY

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 pm 

Asty wrote:
Can you guys explain to me why Amogh Symphony was removed and blacklisted from Metal Archives?
their new album is not exactly metal, but two thirds of their discography is top-notch progressive instrumental technical death metal

Blacklist note cites djent/math/prog as more predominant influences.

Of course a simple forum search reveals such:

viewtopic.php?p=2439288#p2439288
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Asty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Asty wrote:

Blacklist note cites djent/math/prog as more predominant influences.

did you listen to the song?
this is more metal than many, MANY bands on MA, and there's like 10% Djent on them, and only in the first album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:28 pm 

Yeah, some vacuous non-metal music right there.

Please don't base the cornerstone of your arguments on comparisons with other bands included/excluded on the site. This belies the case-by-case basis we strive toward for every submitted band. There was maybe one consistently metal riff in that entire song, so I don't see this opinion changing.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Asty
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Yeah, some vacuous non-metal music right there.

Please don't base the cornerstone of your arguments on comparisons with other bands included/excluded on the site. This belies the case-by-case basis we strive toward for every submitted band. There was maybe one consistently metal riff in that entire song, so I don't see this opinion changing.

Are you serious? Amogh Symphony has been on here for YEARS, and suddenly , just a couple days before the release of their new album, someone decides none of their material is metal anymore?

What a strange coincidence.

Last edited by Asty on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm 

Asty wrote:
(I'm most likely getting banned for exposing this, if it was the case lol)

:rolleyes: Oh, you are such a Bernstein.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:21 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Pessipath wrote:
The sludge metal/metalcore band Xibalba (United States) is blacklisted for whatever reason. They shouldn't be.

More hardcore than metal.

Uh no hardcore is a really fast and energetic form of punk music.
Xibalba sounds absolutely nothing like that. They sound like Crowbar worship even. Then again most of the people here have 0 knowledge of what hardcore is. Most of the "hardcore" bands out right now are either straight up metalcore in the vein of Earth Crisis or thrash/crossover.

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
Xibalba doesn't sound anything like Nasty but uhh ok. All I'm saying is you guys go on and on about how your standards are based on "metal riffs" and Xibalba's discography (and this split in particular) are replete with doom riffs. They obviously belong in the hardcore scene, but they're an outlier because they basically play death/doom metal. To say their music is MORE hardcore than metal is laughable to me. What even is hardcore to you guys?

I've seen them live with Nails and they're basically metallic slow hardcore, what the fuck are you saying with your death/doom, if something is laughable it's certainly that argument, not quite sure you know what you're talking about, man.

"metallic slow hardcore"

Yup you have no idea what hardcore is. It's a fast, abrasive form of punk. Xibalba is pretty much Crowbar and OSDM worship mixed with old school metalcore (which is subgenre of thrash)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm 

Pessipath wrote:
Uh no hardcore is a really fast and energetic form of punk music.
Xibalba sounds absolutely nothing like that. They sound like Crowbar worship even. Then again most of the people here have 0 knowledge of what hardcore is. Most of the "hardcore" bands out right now are either straight up metalcore in the vein of Earth Crisis or thrash/crossover.

Citing the blacklist note *shrugs*

Last.fm

controldenied0
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:10 pm 

Hi
Previously rejected band 'Exist' (featuring members of Cynic, Death DTA, Jeff Loomis's Band) have just put their full length up available for streaming on bandcamp.
https://existmd.bandcamp.com/
Could a mod please listen briefly to see if this changes their mind regarding whether they consider it metal or not?
It's straight up fusion metal ala Cynic, Exivious, both of which are on MA.
Many thanks.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:01 pm 

Pessipath wrote:
"metallic slow hardcore"

Yup you have no idea what hardcore is. It's a fast, abrasive form of punk. Xibalba is pretty much Crowbar and OSDM worship mixed with old school metalcore (which is subgenre of thrash)

"thrash metal"

Yup, you have no idea what metal is. It's a loud and anthemic form of rock. Metallica is pretty much Judas Priest and NWOBHM worship mixed with old school hardcore (which is a subgenre of punk rock) :roll:

Look, I get that Xibalba is a controversial band due to their sheer, overwhelming heaviness, but heaviness does not directly correlate to metalness and there is more than one subgenre of hardcore. Merauder and No Zodiac are both hardcore just like how Black Sabbath and Brain Drill are both metal. Disagreeing with our decision is one thing, coming in here with your nose turned up and talking down to the staff like you're the Dr J of Breakdowns just makes you look like an idiot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:12 pm 

controldenied0 wrote:
Hi
Previously rejected band 'Exist' (featuring members of Cynic, Death DTA, Jeff Loomis's Band) have just put their full length up available for streaming on bandcamp.
https://existmd.bandcamp.com/
Could a mod please listen briefly to see if this changes their mind regarding whether they consider it metal or not?
It's straight up fusion metal ala Cynic, Exivious, both of which are on MA.
Many thanks.

the band was blacklisted for being Proggy Ambient Djent. It has been gone over a couple times and that has been the constant decision.

Also, putting in "featuring members" means nothing if you actually mean, members of some prog metal band and a guy who does live guitars and vox in cynic a.k.a not an actual integral part of cynic.

Yeah, Exist are going to stay in the blacklist
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:14 pm 

Concerning Xibalba - I thought about bringing them up when I first heard them (I might have even done so but I'm having a blank moment right now). But the more I listened to them the more I understood why they were blacklisted. Doesn't mean they aren't a great band (I'm wearing my Xibalba hat now, it's fucking comfortable and awesome) and they certainly have a distinctive crunch to their guitars, but the meat of their music and riffs is metallic hardcore. They are certainly more metal influenced than many of the hardcore bands they perform with, however. While I am no wizard in foresight, it is possible Xibalba might put out a future release that is metal enough for this site (it happened with Tombs) but in the meantime my advice is to just enjoy their music and not fret over whether or not they are included on an electronic encyclopedia.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

DeadMan777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hello, its about the Band Azazel Blind i wanted to insert.
Not the whole Stuff is truely Metal.
But listen to Menschenleer or Channel of Hate.

Thanks
Seckl

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:34 pm 

@Fellow mods: Here's the album for streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjQoqt ... k0zu8cKkMQ I think it's not predominantly metal.

DeadMan777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:38 pm 

Predominantly, surely not. But Part of the Rock and Metal Family.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:53 pm 

So, I just noticed Integrity was added to the website. Just curious as to what album got them in, since they've always been more into the hardcore field.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:07 pm 

androdion wrote:
So, I just noticed Integrity was added to the website. Just curious as to what album got them in, since they've always been more into the hardcore field.

The Blackest Curse.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:08 pm 

DeadMan777 wrote:
Predominantly, surely not. But Part of the Rock and Metal Family.

Agreed with Azmodes. For a band to be accepted, it needs to have at least one predominantly metal album. When judging bands, we care first and foremost about the sound, not about whether it might be seen as being part of a "metal family." Sorry, man.

androdion wrote:

Integrity was accepted based on "The Blackest Curse." It was generally felt among staff that the latest album was metal enough, especially given the gradual move the band has made in that direction by the time this album came out. To be absolutely honest with you, we've made a few judgments - in private - about bands similar to Integrity's style given the inconsistencies some feel we have when it comes to hardcore punk. The issue we've had to tackle is that the "boundary" between the two can be particularly grey... more grey than you'd find with other dubious/ambiguous musical "borders." Our working definition of metal is rooted in metal riffing as the key component to what we consider "metal," however, it's not always clear where the spirit and feel of hardcore differentiates itself from the sound of metal, or if the sound of metal is metal enough if the rest is hardcore. If that makes any sense. This is going to continue to be a long, arduous process for us in aiming for better consistency.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:11 pm 

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Haven't heard anything Integrity did post-2000 though, so I can't obviously judge them, but I always saw them as a metallic hardcore band and found it interesting that they were added.

I know it's a continuous process, I'm not bitching or anything like that. ;)

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:32 pm 

It is a fun process, though. Lots of good discussions, some back-and-forth... all in the effort to build a consensus among us. When done right, it makes for good decisions, I think.

DeadMan777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:34 pm 

Are this your Rules - that one Album predominantly is Metal. Do you know what Metal is...? Music...? Metal is an attitude with its roots in the Delta Blues Sound... Music against enslavement... for the freedom of the mind... your minds are not free... they are locked up in boundries... sad to see... you will go down in your own created prison...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:37 pm 

Yeah, it's in our rules:

Our Rules wrote:
First and foremost, for a band to be metal, it must have metal riffs.
Second, for the lesser-known bands, we need compelling evidence that the band is metal.
Third, for a band to be acceptable, it must have at least one fully, unambiguously metal album.

For our purposes, this site defines metal specifically from its sound. All the other factors you mention don't mean anything to us, and - in fact - may not be all that accurate for ALL forms of metal. At least, the metal we define as metal here.

DeadMan777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:42 pm 

Superb... follow the Rules... and stop thinking by yourself... thats the way the whole world goes... continue sleeping :)

DeadMan777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:43 pm 

Delete my Account Man... when this are so called Metal People... then good night.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:10 pm 

Goodnight sweet prince, hopefully your elipses curse will be broken... Soon
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 pm 

Make... your own... encyclopedia of metal... and then... find out what happens... when you have... no rules... and sound like... William Shatner... in the way you... type.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm 

Awesome, Integrity is in the archives. The Blackest Curse was the first album I heard by them and glad it was considered.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm 

DeadMan777 wrote:
Music against enslavement

Black Metal, anyone?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

The_Vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
A digital single is not enough. The entry can be restored once the album is actually released.

For fuck's sake, there are bands without any proven releases being accepted...

The_Vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
A digital single is not enough. The entry can be restored once the album is actually released.

For fuck's sake, there are bands without any proven releases being accepted...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 pm 

Post about them here and they will be deleted if that is the case.

HeadbangXd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:28 pm 

G-noma sound nothing like a nu-metal band maybe metalcore but not nu-metal

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 541  Next