Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sdsadelaide
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:46 pm 

Hoping one of the moderators can shed some light on why we were blacklisted after only attempting to submit our release once in the past. We've provided a link which samples each track on the EP in one recording to highlight why we think we should be considered appropriate for listing on the site. Cheers :)

https://soundcloud.com/sdsadelaide/sds-sampler

sdsadelaide wrote:
Hi guys,

A while back I attempted to submit my band Stray Dog Strut for listing on the site. It was rejected as we were not considered metal enough.

Today I compiled a sample audio file with excerpts of all the songs on our newly released EP. I edited the additional notes section to include a link to the sample track on Soundcloud. But then, when I've tried to resubmit our application I was told by the site that I'd been blacklisted and was unable to resubmit.

We believe we are metal enough to be included on your page and we've only tried submitting once, this time being the second time. Not sure why we've been blacklisted?

We realise we aren't a full on extreme black or death metal band, but we hope that you'll reconsider after hearing the sample track

Cheers,
Joel.
SDS

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:01 pm 

It is blacklisted for NOT being a Metal band. Sorry.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

DarknessCrave
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Please make sure that you understand our definition of "side-project" (in the rules), before asking. Or its meaning in, you know, the English language.

Oops, my bad there, all clear now.

metalbandcamp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:03 pm 

Infinite Waste was rejected with this reason "Spastic punk-based grind, not a metal band"
Can I please get a second opinion, or a recount or something? :) To my ears there's no "punk" to be found anywhere in their music. I think it's fairly close to what Fuck the Facts does on eg. Amer.
My submission: http://www.metal-archives.com/band/edit/id/3540388085. Infinite Waste Bandcamp: http://infinitewaste.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-town-ep
Cheers

EternalDrone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:36 am 

Did you people seriously remove Kvelertak?
Like really?
Not only are they metal, they're one of the best new metal bands in existence.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:54 am 

sdsadelaide wrote:
Hi guys,

A while back I attempted to submit my band Stray Dog Strut for listing on the site. It was rejected as we were not considered metal enough.

Today I compiled a sample audio file with excerpts of all the songs on our newly released EP. I edited the additional notes section to include a link to the sample track on Soundcloud. But then, when I've tried to resubmit our application I was told by the site that I'd been blacklisted and was unable to resubmit.

We believe we are metal enough to be included on your page and we've only tried submitting once, this time being the second time. Not sure why we've been blacklisted?

We realise we aren't a full on extreme black or death metal band, but we hope that you'll reconsider after hearing the sample track

Cheers,
Joel.
SDS

That link is dead. Also, you don't need to be "extreme" black or death metal in order to be accepted, obviously.

EternalDrone wrote:
Did you people seriously remove Kvelertak?
Like really?
Not only are they metal, they're one of the best new metal bands in existence.

It wasn't an easy decision. There were many staffers involved in the discussion and not everyone agreed with deleting them, but in the end the majority was of the opinion that they're more punk/rock than metal. Quality has nothing to do with it, I like them too (their sophomore is kinda meh, though), but why would that be a reason to keep them? Anyway, please use the search function for this subforum, I'm sure this has been addressed at least once in the past.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 am 

metalbandcamp wrote:
Infinite Waste was rejected with this reason "Spastic punk-based grind, not a metal band"
Can I please get a second opinion, or a recount or something? :) To my ears there's no "punk" to be found anywhere in their music. I think it's fairly close to what Fuck the Facts does on eg. Amer.
My submission: http://www.metal-archives.com/band/edit/id/3540388085. Infinite Waste Bandcamp: http://infinitewaste.bandcamp.com/album/ghost-town-ep
Cheers

Yeah, agreed. :) Definitely metallic-based grindcore; it would seem a mod was a bit hasty with their judgement (mistakes happen, we're only human :D).

Please resubmit.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:23 am 

^Yeah, after listening again I guess that's fine. I took the liberty of restoring the entry, so no need for a resubmission. Apologies for the hasty rejection.

dddd56g wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:
Can you provide some samples that show the latest release is more metal than punk? YouTube clips, etc.

Yes, I can.
Latest release preview is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTb_CLqgY8Q, album trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YndvIz9HXk
And you could listen to the latest album in bandcamp https://diamond-stalin.bandcamp.com/album/shit
Take into account that tracks #3, #5, #8, #11, #13 are taken from previous mostly "punk" release, but any way here they sound more heavy, more metal.
Title track #1 sounds metal, grindcore; #7 - really grinds, #4 sounds even like doom/death - especially in the beginning, and so on. Band vocal is a bit strange and nonstandard, but any way it is not punk or hardcore or something like that vocal: punk oriented vocals are commonly more crusty and more expressive. Here vocal is too intelligent for singing punk. In general the band plays very eclectically and cannot be numbered among some definite simple music genre, but IMHO nevertheless it is mostly metal. Thank you.

That release might be fine, our resident grind aficionado isn't too sure though (and neither am I). Better to err on the side of caution until a definite metal release comes along.

metalbandcamp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:55 am 

Azmodes wrote:
^Yeah, after listening again I guess that's fine. I took the liberty of restoring the entry, so no need for a resubmission. Apologies for the hasty rejection.

Thanks Azmodes (and Alhadis)

Cheers.

ambient_records
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 pm 

The band DEF (El salvador) Exist, Proof of this Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_jQ4JJ_Z9I

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm 

ambient_records wrote:
The band DEF (El salvador) Exist, Proof of this Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_jQ4JJ_Z9I

Can you prove that they have a valid release?

Diverge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 pm 

I'm confused as to why my submission of Wolf Among Sheep was rejected for the reason of it not being metal, and was hoping for a more detailed response. The EP included in the submission is filled with high register screams, thrashy riffs, harsh vocals and blast beats. I really can't think of any components of it that aren't metal.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 pm 

Citing the blacklist note: Primarily core
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diverge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:27 pm 

The band is heavily influenced by NYHC and crossover bands like Merauder, Leeway and Suicidal Tendencies (all of whom are on the site).

Fadeout
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:58 am 

I am still unable to submit Iron Feather although it was said the blacklist would be lifted.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:27 am 

Fadeout wrote:
I am still unable to submit Iron Feather although it was said the blacklist would be lifted.

Try now.

forgottendeity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:20 am 

Forgotten Deity (POLAND) was rejected as "ambient" , while only intros are ambient. Check out the albums released by Le Crepuscule du Soir :

Only the intro is ambient !!!!!! Just listen to the whole album, tons of black metal stuff there for example this one track from the album. Just make that effort to move into the half of the track, not just judging because of ambient intro

Why is it still blacklisted ? Tons of black metal tracks and were released physically by Le Crepuscule du Soir. http://lecrepusculedusoir.yolasite.com/limited-releases.php

I've got tons more of photos of physically released albums, which were DEFINITELY NOT AMBIENT

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 am 

I can't listen right now, but I wouldn't have blacklisted the band just based on an intro. Or perhaps they released something new since February 2014? I will check your links when I get home.

Nauseahtake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:27 am 

Hi guys,

Our band, Nauseahtake, got rejected/blacklisted from your archives, because we were stupid enough to put Post-Rock/Punk (and other banned genres) in the genre-field when we were submitting our info to illustrate the density of ingredients the (post-)metal that we make possesses.

Is there a way for our music not to be rejected or should we forget about our band being in the EM archives? :)

Thanx in advance for your feedback!

Grtz,

Nauseahtake.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:34 am 

To clarify, we don't reject (or approve) bands based on the minutiae of the genre field. The band was evaluated based on their music and (according to the blacklist note) judged to be post-rock (or at least predominantly so).

If you want a second or third or etc. opinion, please link to the music in this thread.

Ordo_Omegae_Absolutae
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:54 am 

Greetings,

Recently I tried to add Sepulchrum (BE) and Necrosophia (BE) to the database, but they have been rejected because of the format (3,5" floppy's ltd to 20 copies) of their respective releases.

This is quite inconsistent, since there are bands in the database who have been released by the same label (Floppy Noise Records, a sub-label of Depressive Illusions Records), which only releases floppy-disks limited to 20 copies.

Sources:
http://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Fl ... ords/31988

Example of bands on FNR whose first release was also a floppy ltd to 20 copies and still got accepted:
Blackmoon Eclipse - Act 01
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bl ... ods/447035
Beröslef - Pestilence and rituals
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Be ... als/440199
Sahelanthropus - Sahelanthropus
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sa ... pus/377229
etc. I only picked a few to illustrate my point.

Thanks in advance for considering my additions to the database and objections made clear here.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 am 

Yeah, but those bands at least have other releases in more sensible formats. I guess a select few of those were approved based solely on a floppy disk release (I'd say they shouldn't have been, but I don't think all mods are in agreement over these weird formats), but by now they all have other, non-floppy disk releases, making the point moot. The thing to keep in mind here is that we're trying to observe the spirit of the rule concerning publicly distributed releases, and while these highly limited esoteric coasters containing 3 minutes of badly compressed music may qualify as a sort of album-oid band output in a technical sense, they just don't seem to cut it as far as common sense goes. But hey, debatable, like so many things. For this site it ultimately comes down to the owners, though, and I don't think they'd regard floppy disks as valid.

EDIT: I'd like to stress that we have no problem with documenting the existence of these releases (along with all the details regarding format, limitation and everything else that entails; as above links show), i.e. we're happy to list them in the discography section for already approved bands. But as a "ticket" to get an entry in the first place they are not valid.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:16 am 

I used to know some local noise and projects that would only release on floppy disk. No one ever bought any of their stuff for this reason (apart from the fact that it mostly sucked).

Why would you put out releases that are intended to be difficult for people to listen to? I think I may start putting all my demos on 8-inch floppies.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:50 am 

Screw that, only 8-track cartridges are real.

(Please don't tell me there's actually a raw bm/noise project that's used them, because I know there has to be.)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:02 pm 

@forgottendeity: As I suspected, "The Gates of Ice" hadn't yet been released at the time of the blacklisting. It's borderline, part ambient, part super-light, ambient-ladden black metal. I'm not sure I'd call it the sort of clear-cut release we require of bands. Same for "Silent Forest".

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 pm 

Forgotten Deity sounds more like a BM-influenced Dark Ambient band, rather than a Dark Ambient-influenced Black Metal band. Let's wait until a less ambiguous album is released.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

deceivedchildren
Wikileaks ain't got nothing on me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 am 

Quote:
This band has been rejected by the moderators for the following reason:

"An interesting case, but we doubt the validity of it for the Archives. Here is why: It doesn't look like this demo was ever officially released under that name. You claim the demo was released, but what we could find online points towards the band having to change their name due to legal reasons *before* the release happened. And it ended up as getting released as the "Slow, Deep and Hard" under the TON moniker instead. Subsequent unofficial circulation of any remaining (label/zine-promo-only?) tape copies would not count as a valid release for our purposes, so you would need to provide evidence that the tape saw public distribution in that form.

Furthermore, there are a number of inconsistencies between your demo release date of 1991 (the demo itself says (C) 1990) and the timeline given for TON's history (check the activity range on their page). (might be that the existing page needs adjusting, though)

I just can't believe that no one tried to add this yet, and if they did there probably was a good reason for rejection. So all in all, we need some hard proof here."

Please review our submission rules before trying to re-submit it.

Keep in mind that all modifications are logged; if this band has been rejected before, the moderators will know, so do not try to resubmit without revising your submission.

If you want to object to this rejection, please do so in the appropriate thread in the "Suggestions and Complaints" sub-forum.

IF this was NOT WELL KNOWN BAND this subbmision EASILY QUALIFIED,so I just can't understand rejection point. We have RELEASED TAPE . And I KNOW people (Carnivore / Repulsion fans) who received this tape in a club L'Amour in NY back in Repuslion concert. That just very STUBBORN view on this point.I mean it looks like .Hey Look !!! We know "our shit", - you don't so better shut up.I'm lurking on M-A since 2003 and I know that this place were MORE FREINDLY and MORE HONEST when it started.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 am 

You know man, it is being discussed: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107918

You are reading between the lines a bit too deep for transgressions that aren't really there. Yeah, it is a well known band, and as such it is easier for us to reach out and maybe come to a definitive conclusion. The doubt was already raised. Don't you find it strange that this hasn't been added yet? It isn't like Type O is obscure or anything..
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:20 am 

You know, people often accuse us of not checking our facts and just adding anything, but when we attempt to trace sources and clarify stuff they become indignant because we don't blindly trust their word.

I think my rejection message was clear and polite enough based on the information provided in the submission (ex. you didn't mention then that you had contacts that received the tape at a show; just that it was "released"). It's not a blacklisting, nothing is lost, just a request for further information. Additionally, I directed you towards the thread in Metal Discussion I created and you posted there, so I'm not really sure why you'd make another post here now (and in such an aggressive way).

There is some ambiguity as to the actual distribution of this tape, so just trying to verify things/get a better picture before entering this into our database as fact. That being said, as it looks now I'm leaning towards the band being acceptable. I'll let you know.

Mike_Combs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:56 am 

Alhadis wrote:
metalbandcamp wrote:
Cheers

Yeah, agreed. :) Definitely metallic-based grindcore; it would seem a mod was a bit hasty with their judgement (mistakes happen, we're only human :D).

Please resubmit.

I got the same stuff for this band, any chance I could get a recount too? I think this is really obviously metal
https://mxdxfxlx.bandcamp.com/album/mdf ... fear-split

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:26 am 

Mike_Combs wrote:
I got the same stuff for this band, any chance I could get a recount too? I think this is really obviously metal

Uh yeah, obviously metal, but the band isn't even blacklisted. ;) What're you posting here for?

You can submit that to the queue, but please first make sure the band has a valid release.

dddd56g
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 am 

Azmodes wrote:
That release might be fine, our resident grind aficionado isn't too sure though (and neither am I). Better to err on the side of caution until a definite metal release comes along.

Well, then what about "side project rule"? The band http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Stalin%D1%8A/3540385693# can be considered side-project of http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Dmitry_Diamond/ who was a member of http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Painful_Memories/61992 - very definite metal band, and http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Stagnatus/14127 - pretty definite metal in first album.
P.S. Nevertheless, I would let my ears be cut off if http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3pvbrNYgA is not metal.

Thanks.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:43 pm 

brunilda66 wrote:
Hi!

I was trying to add a new band but the warning said "A band called "Ideogram" (Italy) has been blacklisted", I'm not sure if it's the same.
The band that I'm talking was founded in 2012 and has a demo called "Rise the Curtain", Can you help me to confirm or tell me why it wasn't accepted?

Thank you.

Metantoine wrote:
The Blacklist says: "Metalcore + Evanescence worship". It was blacklisted in 2013.

they have a new album out, as of yesterday... https://itunes.apple.com/it/album/life- ... d935054177
while the Evanescence worship is still there, the music is more like progressive gothic metal, at least to these ears:
http://ideogram.bandcamp.com/track/falling-snow

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 pm 

dddd56g wrote:
Well, then what about "side project rule"?

The side project rule only applies to well known musicians, and is exercised in strict moderation.

I say no to the Ideogram. Not so much that it is metalcore...but the riffs aren't metal enough for me.

Last.fm

Mike_Combs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 am 

Alhadis wrote:
Mike_Combs wrote:

Uh yeah, obviously metal, but the band isn't even blacklisted. ;) What're you posting here for?

You can submit that to the queue, but please first make sure the band has a valid release.

I get the "Sorry, this band has been blacklisted by the moderation and can no longer be submitted." message when I try to. Thank you for the help!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 am 

Under what name are you trying to submit the band?

deceivedchildren
Wikileaks ain't got nothing on me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:26 am 

Diamhea wrote:
You know man, it is being discussed: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107918

You are reading between the lines a bit too deep for transgressions that aren't really there. Yeah, it is a well known band, and as such it is easier for us to reach out and maybe come to a definitive conclusion. The doubt was already raised. Don't you find it strange that this hasn't been added yet? It isn't like Type O is obscure or anything..

I do not find it STRANGE.

1) I'm lurking at Metal-Archives SINCE 2003 and NEVER EVER SEEN This band subbited in queue.And I'm not kid.I'm 43 years old Metalhead. I know MORE than all these "Google generation" hippster looking moderators.Sorry.had to say that.

2) You have DOUBLE STANDARTS. I mean IF band is WELL KNOWN,then there's must be much more "proof" ? C'mon. You have TONS OF THE BANDS without ANY PROOFS of REAL DEMOS on Metal-Archives . Quick example :

Advanced search : Demo / Country (Sweden) / Year 1984 / 1985

How MANY of these do you think I saw for sale at least ONE TIME on ebay or sale lists ? And I'm lurking on various Metal forums since for YEARS ( since 2001) and all I saw that was ripped mp3s.I saw NONE for sale !!! And NONE of these have real cover. But all these "REAL" demos are here.

3) Back to REPULSION. Is this such a tought case ???? I mean IF all staff on Metal-Archives is SO COMPETENT so it might take 5 - 10 minutes to take right decision.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 am 

Quote:
You have DOUBLE STANDARTS. I mean IF band is WELL KNOWN,then there's must be much more "proof" ? C'mon. You have TONS OF THE BANDS without ANY PROOFS of REAL DEMOS on Metal-Archives

You sorta missed my point there. I was elucidating that since the band is more well known, it stands to reason that there should be more info out there, so why not dig a little deeper? We are trying to be accurate, right?

Quote:
I'm lurking at Metal-Archives SINCE 2003 and NEVER EVER SEEN This band subbited in queue.And I'm not kid.I'm 43 years old Metalhead. I know MORE than all these "Google generation" hippster looking moderators.Sorry.had to say that.

I'm not trying to harsh your metal buzz or anything dude...but I doubt you have sat and watched the queue for a decade straight. It just confounds me that you decide to continue contributing if you have such a deep-seated disdain for the staffers. Hey, do whatever, but stop posting in this thread if you are just going to continue tossing harangues all about. Next time you'll earn a lengthy break from the forums.

Last.fm

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:08 am 

deceivedchildren.

For someone who claims to be an oh-so-wise elder of both heavy metal and our site, you really don't get it at all do you? I mean DO you WANT US to speak EVERY other word in CAPS just to COMMUNICATE on your level? You CLAIM we have DOUBLE STANDARDS but you take NO effort to TRY to understand WHAT we're telling you. On the one hand you KEEP ON telling us how you DON'T LIKE IT when we ask for PROOF about the DISTRIBUTION of an album. On the other hand, you THEN tell us that we APPARENTLY, ALLEGEDLY, and ACCORDING TO YOUR WISE INSIGHT allow bands (what was it again? 640?) into the archives that DON'T have PROOF of DISTRIBUTION. Every band IN PRINCIPLE does not get added to OUR SITE without PROOF (ie. EVIDENCE) that the band RELEASED and DISTRIBUTED a HEAVY METAL album. We CHECK for this. We ASK for proof. Just like we're doing NOW. With YOU. And THIS band. I mean HOLY SHIT we're DOING OUR JOBS!

Mike_Combs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:49 am 

Derigin wrote:
Under what name are you trying to submit the band?

M.D.F.L

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300 ... 541  Next