Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:19 pm 

Hmm. Two mods previously and briefly gave the answer about Between the Buried and Me (BTBAM)'s status following its most recent album from this year, but, I wish to go into a bit more detail about how we came to that outcome... just so that there isn't any question about transparency.

As usual, we opened up the discussion of BTBAM's recent album (Coma Ecliptic) to all mods, in order to reach an agreement or consensus on whether the album (and therefore the band) is acceptable. This is a practice we've gone through with every recent album for this band. Because this is a band that is specifically listed in our guidelines as an example of an unacceptable band, we took the added effort of actively getting as many mods as possible to thoroughly listen to the album and give their input on it. The discussion was open for a long time. We had an exceptionally high turnout. There was a fair bit of discussion.

All mods agreed that this album no longer reflects the -core sound that the band has been largely blacklisted over. One group of mods felt that the album was acceptable prog metal, reflecting a similar sound to contemporary Dream Theater - which for those individuals is the archetypal prog metal band of the here-and-now. Though, perhaps it's worth admitting that (in their own words) prog metal "is a genre that was never fully metal in the first place." Another group of mods weren't convinced that the album is a fully prog metal album, but instead an album that is akin to the style you'd expect from Scale the Summit; utilizing the leads, production, and aesthetics of Dream Theater's newer works, but without the metal riffs that really built that band. Essentially, metal aesthetics over a prog/alt rock base. This may sound like splitting hairs - and in some ways it is - but for us it really does come down to the riffs. The remaining mods "on the fence," including myself, largely watched and waited to see just how unanimous or divisive the outcome of the discussion would be. I can safely say that we took this seriously, and tried to remain as unbiased as possible; listening to the music over and over, trying to gauge just what type of music this album plays. We do this for all bands, and BTBAM is - in that sense - no different. But, in this case, given just how divisive this discussion ended up being, it was decided that it would be best not to accept BTBAM at this point in time.

I know that some of you may disagree with us about how we came about our decision, and how we collectively came to the conclusions we did, but the truth is we did take a good hard look at this album and found it still wanting. A lot of you may feel that BTBAM are a metal band, and however you define what is and isn't metal that's between you and yourself and we respect that. We operate with our own definition, though, and under that definition the band doesn't currently qualify. It comes awfully close at times, but not close enough.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Crossripper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:33 pm 

https://www.reverbnation.com/desecrator ... de-lucifer

https://www.reverbnation.com/page_objec ... d=23272813

https://www.reverbnation.com/desecratorofevil

6-tracks EP release

it's metalness?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:31 pm 

Desecrator of Evil was removed from the site for being some sort of noisy punkish stuff with no discernable metal riffs.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:09 am 

What about the band Scars Of Tears? I know it was rejected for not beign metal, but what kind of genre would you label it?

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm 

Goth rock
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

DrAochider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:25 pm 

My submission Leprae was rejected for not being metal. While I understand there are two ways grindcore can go (punk-influenced, metal-influenced), there is very little punk influence in their sound. Not the end of the world, but I'd say they're mostly metal.
Leprae: http://leprae.bandcamp.com/

EDIT: Original post sounded absolutely horrifically cunty. Changed some shit.

Last edited by DrAochider on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:11 pm 

Derigin wrote:
(paragraph)

Thanks for the update! Of course I'll respect the decision on BTBAM.

Maybe next album. :p

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

SF01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:51 am 

Hello.

A question about polish black metal band "Blutgrund".

I have spoken to it's mastermind and he told me that he was rejected for being too ambient. He sent me tracks from rehearsal demo, it does have ambient parts, but focused as background, the main probem is, the BM parts were poorly recorded and thus are low in the mix on one track, probably because they were recorded by microphone and ambient keyboard by direct plug to line in, but the second one sounds better.

I have uploaded them as private files to listen to, so someine charge PM me for them.
The tyle is similar to early Graveland demos Necromanteion and Drunemeton.

Obliquestrategies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:50 am 

Hi,

I was trying to add Goretopsy, but the band was rejected on the grounds that the moderator could only find 1 copy for sale on Discogs, which is up for sale from a band member.

"Any idea how many copies were handed out? One owner on Discogs is not exactly ideal proof of distirbution."
I believe the moderator was Azmodes.

I know at least 20-30 copies were handed out at Obscene Extreme Festival in 2013, as i was there with the band members.
I believe more were made and given out at their shows in London and Oslo.

I have a copy if you need photos.

I just find it strange that i've found bands on MA with no releases to their name, but this band's been rejected because the moderators want more proof of distribution for a demo.

I probably wouldn't mind and leave it, but one of the members recently passed away, and it shocked me that the last band she played in wasn't on MA. I just want her profile on here to reflect her whole output. She was a friend of mine, and deserves recognition for all her music. Anyways, i hope we can work this out.

OS

ivannashgul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 am 

Hello!!!

I was trying to include one of my bands into the encyclopaedia and I see it was blacklisted. The band is called Hongo. There are two links in this page mention two splits Lp with other bands:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ag ... ngo/249642
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/An ... ngo/522536

You can listen here all our discography to see that it´s an appropriate band to be here.

Thank you very much for your time.

ivannashgul
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 am 

Sorry, this is the bandcamp page:

https://fungivoro.bandcamp.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 am 

Torquia wrote:
Deadly Noise Crew is blacklisted, but I guess that the initial submission was made before their latest release, which is grindcore instead the old crust style of the first demos:

http://mvgre.bandcamp.com/album/todos-los-colores-van-al-negro-ep

This EP has a physical release: http://i.imgur.com/mRZvE6D.jpg

This was blacklisted by Alhadis earlier this year for being crusty grindcore.

SF01 wrote:
Hello.

A question about polish black metal band "Blutgrund".

I have spoken to it's mastermind and he told me that he was rejected for being too ambient. He sent me tracks from rehearsal demo, it does have ambient parts, but focused as background, the main probem is, the BM parts were poorly recorded and thus are low in the mix on one track, probably because they were recorded by microphone and ambient keyboard by direct plug to line in, but the second one sounds better.

I have uploaded them as private files to listen to, so someine charge PM me for them.
The tyle is similar to early Graveland demos Necromanteion and Drunemeton.

You can PM me the link, thanks.

Obliquestrategies wrote:
Hi,

I was trying to add Goretopsy, but the band was rejected on the grounds that the moderator could only find 1 copy for sale on Discogs, which is up for sale from a band member.

"Any idea how many copies were handed out? One owner on Discogs is not exactly ideal proof of distirbution."
I believe the moderator was Azmodes.

I know at least 20-30 copies were handed out at Obscene Extreme Festival in 2013, as i was there with the band members.
I believe more were made and given out at their shows in London and Oslo.

I have a copy if you need photos.

Some context is always welcome. The problem with a lone Discogs link is that anyone can add stuff there, without any initial scrutiny. So I can add a 2-copy "release" or something fake entirely and try to base an MA submission on this. Sadly, people sometimes go through these lengths to fake their way into the site (or simply don't realise what we mean by "public release"). Now as for your band, I believe you, but if you could provide some photos of your copy (disc itself visible), that would be cool.

Obliquestrategies wrote:
I just find it strange that i've found bands on MA with no releases to their name

If you know about listed bands with no releases, post about them here. Although be aware that you should check the additional notes for discography first, if the proper disco section is empty. Evidence provided upon submission is also not always visible to regular users.

ivannashgul wrote:
Hello!!!

I was trying to include one of my bands into the encyclopaedia and I see it was blacklisted. The band is called Hongo. There are two links in this page mention two splits Lp with other bands:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ag ... ngo/249642
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/An ... ngo/522536

You can listen here all our discography to see that it´s an appropriate band to be here.

Thank you very much for your time.

What I'm hearing on Bandcamp sounds "neocrust"-y...

Obliquestrategies
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:57 am 

Thanks Azmodes,
I fully understand. I spoke to Matt (the bassist) on facebook letting him know i was putting Goretopsy on MA, and he said he tried to put the demo up around the time he was making them and it was rejected, so i'm guessing you can see that it was rejected before by someone. He reckons there were about 50 made and given out over the last couple of years.

Here's some photos of my copy:
Spoiler: show

I really can't remember which bands i found with no discography. I've recently been organizing my vinyls into mp3 and finding artwork on MA for iTunes, so looking for bands i've clicked on a few with same names and found some empty and thought it strange. If i find more in the future, i might let you know, now i have a login :) Apart form that, next time you hear from me will be in about a year - once i get Oblique Strategies off the ground and we record something haha.

Last edited by Azmodes on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please spoiler large images.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:22 am 

Perfect, restored.

Also yes, it was submitted at least twice before, once by someone who seems to be Matt and the other by someone who seems to have been the late Deathanie. The rejection reason was similar to your submission in both cases. Glad we were finally able to sort this out. :)

Shaxul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm 

DARKNËSS, a Heavy Metal band from my region has been rejected, even though they existed from 1984 to 1992, and I've released a double CD with their full discography and it seems that moderators think it doesn't exist hehe... The release is already selling good... The irony is that people are surprised that it wasn't on METAL ARCHIVES yet but it seems it's difficult to believe it was a real band haha! There are samples on my website ( http://www.legionofdeathrecords.com ) just as stated in my request, and there is also this song on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbZPlHR8cg
But maybe it's a fake or hoax?! Haha...
There is no "description of the music by a trustworthy third-party" yet because the demos I've re-released on double CD are extremely rare and were just spread in my region back then. There will be reviews in the future as it's an official release, 666% agreed by the band.
Now it's up to you, if you want to create a page for DARKNËSS or not.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:05 pm 

DrAochider wrote:
My submission Leprae was rejected for not being metal. While I understand there are two ways grindcore can go (punk-influenced, metal-influenced), there is very little punk influence in their sound. Not the end of the world, but I'd say they're mostly metal.

Yeah, agreed. Hearing very little punk in the band's music; it's mostly just rough, metallic goregrind. :) You can go ahead and resubmit, mate.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 pm 

Shaxul wrote:
DARKNËSS, a Heavy Metal band from my region has been rejected, even though they existed from 1984 to 1992, and I've released a double CD with their full discography and it seems that moderators think it doesn't exist hehe... The release is already selling good... The irony is that people are surprised that it wasn't on METAL ARCHIVES yet but it seems it's difficult to believe it was a real band haha! There are samples on my website ( http://www.legionofdeathrecords.com ) just as stated in my request, and there is also this song on YouTube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbZPlHR8cg
But maybe it's a fake or hoax?! Haha...
There is no "description of the music by a trustworthy third-party" yet because the demos I've re-released on double CD are extremely rare and were just spread in my region back then. There will be reviews in the future as it's an official release, 666% agreed by the band.
Now it's up to you, if you want to create a page for DARKNËSS or not.

Nobody is doubting the existence of the band or the release. As the rejection email stated, the issue was with verifying if the band is actually metal (this can often seem like a tedious technicality, but better safe than sorry). I didn't see those samples the first time, sorry. Please resubmit.

Torquia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Torquia wrote:
Deadly Noise Crew is blacklisted, but I guess that the initial submission was made before their latest release, which is grindcore instead the old crust style of the first demos:

http://mvgre.bandcamp.com/album/todos-l ... l-negro-ep

This EP has a physical release: http://i.imgur.com/mRZvE6D.jpg

This was blacklisted by Alhadis earlier this year for being crusty grindcore.

Thanks Azmodes! I contacted Alhadis to see if he checked their latest release.

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 pm 

Torquia wrote:
Thanks Azmodes! I contacted Alhadis to see if he checked their latest release.

I did check their latest release, actually.

However, giving the record a spin again, it seems I judged the music too strictly. It's borderline in places, but it does sound sufficiently metallic as a whole to warrant inclusion. It's possible I was comparing them too closely with their prior output.

You can resubmit. :)

DrAochider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
DrAochider wrote:

Yeah, agreed. Hearing very little punk in the band's music; it's mostly just rough, metallic goregrind. :) You can go ahead and resubmit, mate.

Thanks a bunch, man! :)

HeavierThanThou
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:43 am 

I attempted to submit Infy Snow from Israel to the archives but found out that the band is already blacklisted. Can you tell me why? It is metal, and meets all the submission criteria as far as I know.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:49 am 

Blacklisted for being Goth Rock, some bits of the first album is metal, the majority isn't.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

heavy_artillery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:40 am 

Hi atazoth (chile) blacklisted for no physical release but my friend upload picture https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq ... YyC66g.jpg so why ?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm 

Do you know how many copies were spread? Any mention online about the tapes by a third party you could link to?

heavy_artillery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:13 pm 

100 copies is independent but distribuited by scumbags productions https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=178526752253360

Thanks

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:33 pm 

hm, alright. I have restored the submission.

Ted Hetfield
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:25 am 

By the way, there would be 2 options to put
WICKED DISCIPLE into this Encyclopaedia.
First...I declare all the songs which are to rockish as BONUS TRACKS, and only the accepted songs will be named on the CD.
I will do so, because, it is nearly impossible to get a Review in a Metal Mag without beeing in here :-)

Second......I found a loophole here in the forum….WICKED DISCIPLE can be presented as a side project, because I am guitarist of BLACK MESSIAH
It would be fantastic, if there is a possibility to get in here….
I will not miss to say, that germany´s biggest online Metal Mag “The-Pit.de” had the opinion, the
Complete records is metal enough to get 9 of 10 Points, also the METAL HAMER (Germany) will make a Demo Zone Review of it
Sincerely,

Ted Hetfield aka Patrick Donath

Ted Hetfield
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:33 am 

The Review can be found here --> http://www.the-pit.de/review/wicked-dis ... cRQ3Pn0-Wt

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 am 

There are lots of bands that aren't metal found in metal mags. To us, it sounds like hard rock with some metalness. Whether or not one gets reviews in a magazine is not our problem. We can only say good luck to you

Also, sorry to be frank, you joined Black Messiah this year, the band can't be added as a side project because you are not notable in terms of your long-term contribution. Coming from Black Messiah, the only one that would be considered would be Zagan.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:34 am 

Ted Hetfield wrote:
First...I declare all the songs which are to rockish as BONUS TRACKS, and only the accepted songs will be named on the CD.
I will do so, because, it is nearly impossible to get a Review in a Metal Mag without beeing in here :-)

:nono: :nono: :nono: Have some fucking integrity. But hey, if your priorities as an artist are molding your work in accordance to some website, that's your choice.

dannybates
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:44 pm 

I was wondering why the band Coat of Arms(United Arab States) has been blacklisted.

They have 2 albums digitally available on bandcamp http://coatofarms.bandcamp.com/
They are a mix of Djent and Industrial metal.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:49 pm 

The band itself says this about their newest album:

Quote:
It represents an amalgam of genres that include Djent, Industrial metal, metalcore, and ingrained traces of Nu-metal.

Soooooo nope, sorry. Pretty self explanatory, really.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

10 of Spades
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:24 am 

Just wondering why My Bitter End from New York was rejected/blacklisted. Their albums The Renovation 2007 (Uprising Records) and Nostalgic Sentiments 2013 (We Are Triumphant) have some crazy riffs that are pretty metal to many. Very melodic and some technicality in their songs.

Just listen to Finding Level Ground off of The Renovation and C.A.S.H off of Nostalgic Sentiments. Those songs will change your minds hopefully! :)

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 am 

10 of Spades wrote:
Just wondering why My Bitter End from New York was rejected/blacklisted. Their albums The Renovation 2007 (Uprising Records) and Nostalgic Sentiments 2013 (We Are Triumphant) have some crazy riffs that are pretty metal to many. Very melodic and some technicality in their songs.

Just listen to Finding Level Ground off of The Renovation and C.A.S.H off of Nostalgic Sentiments. Those songs will change your minds hopefully! :)

The blacklist doesn't state any reason. Though, it sounds like Mathcore with an emphasis on non-metalic melodic leads when not doing breakdowns or twidly stuff.

Blacklist shall stay for My Butter End.

10 of Spades
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:40 pm 

PDS wrote:
10 of Spades wrote:

The blacklist doesn't state any reason. Though, it sounds like Mathcore with an emphasis on non-metalic melodic leads when not doing breakdowns or twidly stuff.

Blacklist shall stay for My Butter End.

I honestly do not understand the "Mathcore" part you're talking about. Have you listened to at least one album? You can't just throw away some band because of one song you heard. I understand though if they will remain blacklisted anyways. Was just curious since they do shred way better than most deathcore bands I see on here.
Maybe the song To All Things Expendable will change your mind. Please listen, thanks!

Last edited by 10 of Spades on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arctopus64
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:36 am 

I'm wondering why my project Tower of Babel (United States) has been blacklisted. I've submitted the band a few times. Originally, it was rejected for being too bedroom-sounding, but I was told that the music was definitely metal. However, I submitted the project after finishing another demo and then was rejected and blacklisted simply for not being metal. I'm surprised by this, as I don't consider the music to be any softer than Deafheaven, who are on here. If I could get a more specific reason as to why I was rejected, like what genre the project is if it's not metal, then I'd really appreciate it.
https://towerofbabel.bandcamp.com/track/monotony

dfc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 am 

Hi
I tryied to submit my band but it was rejected because it's "Not a metal band".
Well, I wrote grind at the genre, because we're a death metal band with blast beats
You can hear for yourself and assure we play metal:
http://grindfuldead.bandcamp.com/track/ ... shirt-demo
http://grindfuldead.bandcamp.com/releases
Sorry for this incovenience.
Thanks!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:00 pm 

arctopus64 wrote:
(why) Tower of Babel (was) blacklisted (...)

Well, your project was found to be borderline on both the recording itself and the music.
dfc wrote:
(...) I tryied to submit my band but it was rejected because it's "Not a metal band" (...)

Well, the blacklist note says it is unacceptable, Punk-based grindcore.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

dfc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:24 pm 

Well, I think we are grindcore rooted in death metal with predominant metal riffs as described at the rules page.
Our punk influence are for our political and social lyrics.
As I said, please check it hearing https://grindfuldead.bandcamp.com/track ... shirt-demo

Thanks!

Last edited by OpsiusCato on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bizarre use of quotes.

SabbathDude
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:32 pm 

Can you guys explain why Flapjack is blacklisted from the archive? I just searched for them in the archive and was about to submit them, but immediately a message that said Flajpack has been blacklisted showed up. I think it's a mistake to blacklist them because they're clearly metal, specifically on their debut album "Ruthless Kick", which has elements/influences of thrash metal. Listen to that album for proof that Flapjack is really metal and should be added in the archive.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Squn6_CDDU

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342, 343, 344 ... 541  Next