Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mairon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:55 pm 

This is more of a fundamental case rather than a band appeal and I wouldn't suspect SCP+B not being un-blacklisted, but I gotta say something here and I'd kinda hope Ghost were to be blacklisted.

Anyhow. The gripe I have here is that there are fringes as to what one genre of music is and what it isn't and they are rather foggy - that's why we keep having this tortured discussion - same game with sub-genres. Looking at Ghost, there isn't all that much to their music that I'd classify as metal, it's pop dressed in black. It's HIM (blacklisted?), just pushed off the stage and landing face down in a puddle of radio-friendliness and Instagram trends. What does x-grind border on? Assuming grind is an independent genre, where did it come from? Could you pinpoint that for me if it isn't metal? Would you deny Anal Cunt (blacklisted?) isn't metal? It sounds like metal, it makes us mosh like metal, bands like that are even on the same festivals, but why are they excluded? It's the same culture, is it not? What else does it border on that would completely disqualify these bands as offspring of metal in the same way DSBM isn't? What's the gold-standard here? Isn't Abyssic Hate so far removed from Metallica and Iron Maiden that his music also shouldn't really count in the same genre? Why is Pig Destroyer on here then? I know they are versatile but they are a grind band! I'm really not sure what I am supposed to think about the people who decided that Ghost is metal, but Shit Covered Penis and Balls isn't. Could someone tell me?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:03 am 

Without being familiar with Ghost's discography at all, you can see on their bandpage that "The band was accepted into the Metal Archives based on Opus Eponymous." All a band needs is one fully metal album to have an entry on the site. Our definitions of metal will never match everyone's, we do not claim supreme authority on metal but as a website, we don't have a choice but to draw lines. You have compared a lot of bands with wildly differing genres, I'll let you read this snippet of a post from Derigin:

Spoiler: show

Mairon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 pm 

>we do not claim supreme authority on metal

But who fulfills that role then? That's kinda how this platform gets treated. It's probably not a nice thing to say to a volunteer who donates personal time working on this, but this is somewhat of a reputable source and I quoted worse in papers working towards my bachelors. If you don't like that, wouldn't it make more sense to include more rather than less if there is a reasonable argument for its inclusion? Anyhow. I'm mainly annoyed about grind genres being excluded. As I explained: In my opinion they are part of the same culture, speak a very similar language and they are directly related to metal sub-genres, appearing on the same stages and even within the same discographies. I don't recall this even being a subject of discussion back in the days, it just kinda came up in the 2000s for (to me) inexplicable reasons. But I feel like it's a discussion that is worth revisiting every now and then.

I understand the rule about comparing bands and I'll refrain from it in the future if humanly possible.

Quorthallis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:40 am 

Mairon wrote:
But who fulfills that role then? That's kinda how this platform gets treated.

My buddy PDS answered that well enough a while ago, so I'm just going to link his post for you to read.

Mairon wrote:
But I feel like it's a discussion that is worth revisiting every now and then.

Not really. We have established our criteria for grind bands a long time ago and it works quite well for the purposes of this site. Now, let's go and invest our energy on more productive topics.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.