Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:01 am 

Yesterday I tried to add an album for a band but ran into some roadblocks. I didn't know how to find the catalog ID, number of copies, the recording info, or the various formats the album was released in. I don't own a physical copy of the album I'm trying to add so that makes it difficult to know that information. Also, when adding the "artist link," do I simply search the names of the band members? Thanks

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:14 am 

Well technically you don't need that stuff though it is ideal. You can always just add the album and then someone else will surely come along and update it, you could also check other sites for the info. Label websites or retailers (or discogs) will often have one or more of those pieces of information.

As for your second question I do believe that's how it is done.

Margaret Atwood wrote:
War is what happens when language fails.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:18 am 

I tried leaving that information blank and was not able to submit the album (although at the time I had not put in the artist info for each band member yet so that could have been the reason?).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:19 am 

Most of the info you mention is optional, but the release format is indeed still required. If you don't have this basic information, its existence can still be mentioned in the band's additional notes. If you can't modify the notes, make a report.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 am 

So for instance, I do know that it was released on CD and digitally, but I am not aware of any other formats. Could I simply put "CD" for the version description?

Erosion of Humanity
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 am 

That's not what he means. When it asks you for a format (cd, vinyl, digital, cassette) you have to put something there. Version description is something else.

Margaret Atwood wrote:
War is what happens when language fails.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 am 

Ah, okay. I believe that's why I couldn't submit it yesterday because I didn't see that. Thanks!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:34 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
So for instance, I do know that it was released on CD and digitally, but I am not aware of any other formats. Could I simply put "CD" for the version description?

Well, add the versions you know. So that'd be one CD version and one digital version (master entry should be whichever was released first; if both came out at the same time, it doesn't matter which you choose). The required field I'm talking about is "(Format)", directly on top of the tracklist form.

About the "artist links"... if you mean to use this function to add album lineups, don't. The internal links (ex. "{artist 365484}") are only meant for hyperlinking in the album's additional info and don't show up on the linked artist's page. You can properly add artists through the lineup tab, after you've added the release itself. I think there's a note explaining that when you try to insert a hyperlink.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:29 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows, go ahead and add this release: http://drainlifedxlx.bandcamp.com/album ... pillow-e-p
To this band's page: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dra ... 3540409362
And I'll check it out later to see how you did.
Should be easy. Digital release. No cat no. No barcode. Nothing. The picture needs resizing <50k.
Don't use all caps.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm 

Antioch wrote:
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows, go ahead and add this release: http://drainlifedxlx.bandcamp.com/album ... pillow-e-p
To this band's page: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dra ... 3540409362
And I'll check it out later to see how you did.
Should be easy. Digital release. No cat no. No barcode. Nothing. The picture needs resizing <50k.
Don't use all caps.

Okay I added it, thanks for that. I didn't add any recording info or the lineup because I don't have time at the moment, but I was told that it can be done later.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm 

Good job, even with resizing.
- Version description (digital releases): Bandcamp, iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon, or whatever the medium. I added Bandcamp in this case.
- Capitalization: Be, Am, Is, Are all start with a capital letter. Same for possessive adjectives, i.e. My, Your, His, Her, etc.
- Cover songs: E.g. Iron Maiden cover

I didn't add any recording info or the lineup because I don't have time at the moment, but I was told that it can be done later.

Later = When you're sure who played what instruments on which songs(EDIT: strikethrough).
Tossing the band's most recent line-up into their most recent release isn't advisable.

Last edited by Antioch on Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:00 pm 

Antioch wrote:
- Capitalization: Be, Am, Is, Are all start with a capital letter. Same for possessive adjectives, i.e. My, Your, His, Her, etc.

These apply all across the board for every release on M-A, I'm assuming. How about those occasional instances where the song's appearance on the album itself (e.g. The back cover, or wherever the track list appears) does not follow said rules? Should the actual release track-listing supercede these rules? These instances are expected to be rare, but they do occur.

I saw a release the other day titled "rehersal" and went to correct it, but I looked at the cover art and this was how it was spelled on their end, so I let it be. I've also heard from Evenfiel that typos should be corrected (e.g. In lyrics) but not genuine spelling mistakes.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm 

Got it, I really appreciate your help!

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 pm 

ksevile wrote:
These apply all across the board for every release on M-A, I'm assuming. How about those occasional instances where the song's appearance on the album itself (e.g. The back cover, or wherever the track list appears) does not follow said rules? Should the actual release track-listing supercede these rules? These instances are expected to be rare, but they do occur.

Read Morrigan's OP:
viewtopic.php?p=2142930#p2142930

Got it, I really appreciate your help!

No problem, dude.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:25 pm 

As a rule of thumb, always apply capitalisation rules, but leave typos and spelling mistakes unless explicitly corrected by other official sources.

Reply to topic