Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dark_Angel_Justin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 am 

I was on the Suicidal Tendencies page and I read that they were a punk band that then morphed into a thrash band. So if they are allowed to be listed when their style changes, why can't other bands be added when they do the same?

For example:

SOULFLY - They started out as some sort of nu-metal style. But later releases see them turning more towards the thrash metal style.

KITTIE - They started off more nu-metal and later albums see them becoming more melodic thrash or melodic death metal.

SLIPKNOT - They were lumped in with other nu-metal bands. But they've evolved into a more aggressive style and have broken away from there nu-metal cohorts.

DROWNING POOL - This band is straight up heavy metal. How there not listed is beyond belief. Some may say there hard rock or alternative, but there sound is way to aggressive to be hard rock or alternative.

AVENGED SEVENFOLD - This band started out as metalcore, but later releases see them abandoning this style and adopting a more heavy metal style.

OTEP - Otep is death metal, anyone with ears can hear that. It may be a little avante-garde, but its still death metal.

There styles may not have fit the mold of what is accepted on here in the beginning, but they have evolved over time to fit the mold. I believe these bands should be accepted for there change in style. If Suicidal Tendencies were allowed to change and be accepted, so should these bands. Thank you for your time.

I hope anyone that agrees will voice there opinion and help get these bands added. Thanks again.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:03 am 

Only his second post too...

I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:08 am 

Obvious troll is obvious? But since you're so polite, I'll bite.

Suicidal Tendencies have a page because, as you said, they became a thrash metal bands. Not a single one of the bands you listed have ever played heavy metal. And nobody could say Otep is death metal with a fucking straight face.

Get an education on metal. Especially death metal.
  • Classic, old-school death metal is Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary, Possessed, Bolt Thrower, Deicide.
  • More "modern" death metal is Behemoth, Vader, Nile, Kataklysm, later Luciferion.
  • Technical death metal is The Chasm, Obliveon, Neglected Fields, Martyr, Suffocation.
  • Death/grind is Napalm Death, Abnormality, Brutal Snooze Truth, Mortician.
  • Melodic death metal is Carcass, early At the Gates, Dismember, Entombed.
  • And arguably "avant-garde" death metal is Demilich, Cosmic Atrophy, Atheist, Cynic, Septic Flesh, early Therion.
Now, listen to those bands (not all of them are good, mind you, but no matter), and you will see (or hear) that not a single one of the bands you listed, especially not fucking Otep, have anything in common with any of the above.

And, mind you, this is not up for debate. Thank you.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.