Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SepticTomb
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:01 pm 
 

I realize there's a topic for rejected bands, but I think this one is high-profile enough and in need of enough mod approval to deserve its own thread as it's currently blacklisted.

Most people know of Last Days Of Humanity due to their later, more pure goregrind material. However, I'd like to elect Last Days Of Humanity for inclusion on the Metal Archives on the grounds of their first album, 'The Sound Of Rancid Juices Sloshing Around Your Coffin'. I feel that this album is essentially pure death/grind and worthy of inclusion in the Archives. The band themselves have referred to it as a 'Carcass worship' album, and in general its sound is VERY similar to what you would hear on 'Reek Of Putrefaction' or 'Symphonies Of Sickness'. The riffing style is very much rooted in death metal with even some occasional thrashy riffs. The song structures are very coherent and rooted in death metal, with about half being at least two minutes or longer, and very few of the tracks are the 'microsongs' that we commonly associate with goregrind. Apart from the use of pitchshifted vocals, the music seems to me to be very decisively structured and rooted significantly in death metal. While the latter half of the album does trend more towards a pure goregrind sound, I think the metal influence even on those tracks is significant.

Apart from purely musical merit, Last Days Of Humanity was extremely well known and popular in the metal scene. The band routinely did splits with full-fledged metal bands and the members have many side projects that are either full-fledged metal or very close to it. Last Days Of Humanity primarily played shows with extreme metal bands and was even featured in several Maryland deathfests. I think Last Days Of Humanity's musical content on their first album is enough to warrant their inclusion, and these other details simply cement it.

Here is the link to download the album, and thanks in advance for giving it a try.
_________________
My label - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:09 am 
 

Those other things, besides the music itself, do no mean anything and never were a deciding factor here. You should know at least so much after those years. You should also known hat there is a respective thread for this.
The popularity is debatable, anyway. and solely your personal point.

There are only two metal bands with one LOTD member listed here and one of them is completely musically unrelated.
As for being very close to metal - you mean that terrible noisegrind project, that was here for 5 years and was discovered first by coincidence?

We will see about the music.
It seems to be really mostly death/grind oriented, unlike their later stuff.

Top
 Profile  
SepticTomb
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm 
 

Any other mods want to chip in?
_________________
My label - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Top
 Profile  
Emissary_of_Evil
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:21 pm
Posts: 21
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:11 pm 
 

Last Days of Humanity will be accepted sooner or later. Just be patient. Your era is coming.

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 530
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:19 am 
 

The Sound of Rancid Juices Sloshing About Your Coffin is definitely more metal than anything else. Everything after that is just way too noise/grind oriented, but that debut is goregrind with enough death metal riffs to qualify.
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
MushroomStamp
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:07 pm
Posts: 681
Location: Helsinki, Finland
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 pm 
 

Muloc7253 wrote:
The Sound of Rancid Juices Sloshing About Your Coffin is definitely more metal than anything else. Everything after that is just way too noise/grind oriented, but that debut is goregrind with enough death metal riffs to qualify.


Are you a mod nowadays?
_________________
freedom, metal & might

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 530
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:25 pm 
 

MushroomStamp wrote:
Muloc7253 wrote:
The Sound of Rancid Juices Sloshing About Your Coffin is definitely more metal than anything else. Everything after that is just way too noise/grind oriented, but that debut is goregrind with enough death metal riffs to qualify.


Are you a mod nowadays?


This is an open discussion. I'm giving my opinion. It's a forum.
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
SepticTomb
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm 
 

Any other mods?
_________________
My label - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Top
 Profile  
SepticTomb
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:56 pm
Posts: 515
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm 
 

It's coming up on a week since I started this thread, am I supposed to take this as tacit approval to submit?
_________________
My label - www.nokturnaltransmissionsrecords.com

Brutal death meets funeral doom - www.myspace.com/septictomb

Top
 Profile  
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 6240
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 am 
 

No. This band has been tried many times, and from several different angles. It seems we have not yet seen the Light. Your overestimation of the moment of the case may have worked against you; many staffers expect to see this kind of question posted elsewhere.

In all fairness, given that the so-called "borderline" has been shot to shit through years of slow, mindless, and unrelenting attrition, I can see where a plausible argument might be made for this band's inclusion. "Consistency", yet again, I suppose.

I personally remain opposed, regardless. An album that is stylistically a half-metal hybrid for about half (or a little more) of its total length, and primarily another style for the remainder, does not impress me as the output of a metal band. However, in the broader picture, I suppose yet another flesh wound hardly matters at this point--perhaps foolish to make too much of a little staph when one already has the gangrene. As such, if the others disagree, I won't make a fuss.

You now have one weak "yea" and one weak "nay." If I were you, I would be wary at this point.
_________________
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9514
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:02 am 
 

Nightgaunt wrote:
An album that is stylistically a half-metal hybrid for about half (or a little more) of its total length, and primarily another style for the remainder, does not impress me as the output of a metal band.

I agree with this. Does the album include metal elements? Sure. Does it include enough to be accepted into M-A? I don't think so. There are certainly some death metal riffs present, I'll agree, but they're in a context that is undeniably grind. 19 of 26 tracks are under a minute and a half, lots of movie clips, lots of blasting, vomitvox, etc. Also, we can't ignore their later material, and it would be silly to include a band's entire output simply because their first album is maybe one quarter metal.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 9406
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:30 am 
 

I'm so fucking sick and tired of hearing about that worthless band.

Top
 Profile  
Muloc7253
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 530
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:08 pm 
 

failsafeman wrote:
Nightgaunt wrote:
An album that is stylistically a half-metal hybrid for about half (or a little more) of its total length, and primarily another style for the remainder, does not impress me as the output of a metal band.

I agree with this. Does the album include metal elements? Sure. Does it include enough to be accepted into M-A? I don't think so. There are certainly some death metal riffs present, I'll agree, but they're in a context that is undeniably grind. 19 of 26 tracks are under a minute and a half, lots of movie clips, lots of blasting, vomitvox, etc. Also, we can't ignore their later material, and it would be silly to include a band's entire output simply because their first album is maybe one quarter metal.


I know I'm not a mod or anything, but I must say I disagree with your reasons here. Lots of bands on the archives have very short songs - Mortician, Nasum, Napalm Death, and all of these are certainly metal. Movie clips do not alter whether or not a band is metal (again, see Mortician) at all and you know this. Blasting is a ridiculous excuse for rejection, as I'm sure about a fifth of the bands here use blasting, at least. None of those elements make a band pure grind by any means.

As for their later output, I thought the rule was 'at least one metal album'. Whether that one album is metal is certainly debatable, but I'm certain if this band had one black metal album and then ten acoutic folk or ambient albums they'd be accepted, so why not a band with one death/grind album and a few pure grind releases not?
_________________
KARNSTEIN RECORDS
www.karnsteinrecords.com
Back online, August 2011

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Retired

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8691
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:23 pm 
 

I also would not call this a death/grind album, either. Very few instances here are what I would call metal, certainly not enough to warrant inclusion.

Top
 Profile  
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am
Posts: 9514
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:53 pm 
 

Muloc7253 wrote:
I know I'm not a mod or anything, but I must say I disagree with your reasons here. Lots of bands on the archives have very short songs - Mortician, Nasum, Napalm Death, and all of these are certainly metal. Movie clips do not alter whether or not a band is metal (again, see Mortician) at all and you know this. Blasting is a ridiculous excuse for rejection, as I'm sure about a fifth of the bands here use blasting, at least. None of those elements make a band pure grind by any means.

Yes, I knew someone would hop in to list exceptions. It's not that any one of those is the defining factor, it's all of them together combined with a lack of metal elements. And don't try to put words in my mouth, I never said they were being rejected solely based on blasting, or that the album in question was pure grind; I clearly acknowledged its metal elements, but they're simply not prevalent enough. You'd do well to be more polite in these discussions, just putting "I know I'm not a mod" at the beginning of your post doesn't give you the right to then go on and act like one in the rest of it. No offense, but your opinion doesn't count for shit. See? I can do it too.

Muloc7253 wrote:
As for their later output, I thought the rule was 'at least one metal album'. Whether that one album is metal is certainly debatable, but I'm certain if this band had one black metal album and then ten acoutic folk or ambient albums they'd be accepted, so why not a band with one death/grind album and a few pure grind releases not?

For one, the mods agree it's not a death/grind album, or at least that it's not death enough for inclusion. For another, it's a general question of acceptability; if the band had only one album, or had multiple albums that were borderline metal, your case would be stronger, but as this is LDoH's only borderline album with the rest unarguably on the other side, your position is weakened.

Anyway, it's clear what the mod consensus is. Last Days of Humanity will stay blacklisted.
_________________
antonthereaper wrote:
Seriously, why ban me??????? That topic had nothing wrong with it! Theres something wrong with you i can tell you! You're immoral banning of my account! Anyways, i'm creating my own metal arcives.

http://extrememetalencyclopedia.webs.com/

Top
 Profile  
GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:35 pm
Posts: 123
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 am 
 

I know this thread is dead but I came across it after hearing this band just now, and they're practically like literally noise. The band barely even carries rhythm by what I heard. Even Anal Cunt have more musical endevour and dynamic than this band. Pretty sure noise doesn't warrant as metal since metal is music and noise isn't even music.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5611
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 am 
 

Well, thanks for the much needed input. :roll:
_________________
theunrelentingattack wrote:
i've whitelisted Whores

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Napero
GedankenPanzer

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:16 pm
Posts: 8421
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am 
 

Azmodes wrote:
Well, thanks for the much needed input.

He forgot to include the link to the most important sample, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjQHeQH5eY
_________________
Chest wounds suck (when properly inflicted).
-Butch-

Top
 Profile  
Alhadis
Madder Max

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am
Posts: 3555
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:03 am 
 

That thing is older than your grandmother's uncle, mate. :lol:
_________________
J_Ason wrote:
grinder12345 wrote:
And you says that metal is about the riffs, that is bollocks, cause then black and death bands wouldn't get accepted, cause the play termolo-riffs.

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group