Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:03 am 

I was wondering, especially for more underground bands, shouldn't we be able to add more places to buy releases for these bands?

I mean, The End Records doesn't carry everything you know.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:11 am 

http://metal-archives.com/support.php

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:16 am 

Then they should try to get more affiliates haha.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 am 

Isn't that simple. The place must have a reliable affiliate program that tracks sales directed from this site.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:25 am 

Well, maybe they can list where you can buy the item without being an affiliate.

I mean, some of the places things are sold you cant really do an affiliation program.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 am 

No, they cannot.

The intention is explained on the linked page.
Those links should serve both the needs of users and the database financing.

http://www.metal-archives.com/news.php?months=11-2007

"Buy their stuff" (posted at 01:27)

You might notice a new section on some band pages entitled "buy their stuff" (just under the additional notes). This section will contain, as you might expect, links to sites selling merchandise related to the band in question. How is this different from the merch links users can already add? Well, these links will be to sites running affiliate programs that we are members of, i.e. we will be getting a cut on each sale referred from here. Is this selling out? We hope it is actually a useful feature for people wanting to buy albums and merchandise from their favorite bands, and an easily ignored one for the others. We will definitely keep the links discreet and far less obnoxious than banners, pop-ups and the like. The goal with this is mainly to get funds to pay hosting costs and especially to get a new powerful server for the still upcoming MA version 2 (yes, that is still seriously being worked on; no, I can't give you a release date). Thank you very much to everyone who donated money to us, but as we rather expected from the start, the donations slowed down to a tiny trickle after the first month and this is unfortunately not reliable enough to base monthly expenses on.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:06 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
Well, maybe they can list where you can buy the item without being an affiliate.

That can go under the "Merchandise" links on the band pages. The affiliate links have a specific purpose, which does not include free publicity.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:38 pm 

Yeah, what Morrigan said, and it works pretty well to go to the websites of the labels and/or former labels of bands to find their stuff.

Gorgo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:02 pm 

I would like to bring another thing up as it is related. Some official merchandise links only contain bootleg material from a band (ex.: Moonblood), shouldn't those kind of links be deleted? I know it isen't a very big deal, but metal archives is a site against bootlegs so it is kind of wrong to put up links that only sell bootlegs.

http://www.myspace.com/onrust1
"Acoustic music"

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:17 pm 

Gorgo wrote:
I would like to bring another thing up as it is related. Some official merchandise links only contain bootleg material from a band (ex.: Moonblood), shouldn't those kind of links be deleted? I know it isen't a very big deal, but metal archives is a site against bootlegs so it is kind of wrong to put up links that only sell bootlegs.

Yes, if you are sure it contains only bootlegs you can delete them on sight. Even any random unofficial distro should be deleted as the link title suggests.

Reply to topic