Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:19 am 

It would be great to see genres of bands that artists are involved with.

Like this:
http://i.imgur.com/s1zK7kn.jpg

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 pm 

I actually kinda like this.

Last.fm | Collection

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:41 pm 

For what it's worth, I like it too and would totally throw my vote behind it.

ksevile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 am 

I like it myself actually, too (and I'm also wondering too if this has been brought to the drawing board and suggested before for consideration in the V2 improvement thread maybe--maybe not though, after all, but I would be surprised if not, because it does sound like a good feature to have around). Also, your artistic implementation here was so well done I was initially convinced that your example was de facto and in fact on the current site as I saw it (kudos to you for that), and I have to confess--upon reading your description--I had conceived the rendering would have potentially represented some sort of cosmetic encumbrance, but the arrangement your image portrays would seem to work well from this vantage point.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:10 am 

To expound on the usefulness of this potential feature, maybe we can manually add the genres to unlisted bands and have it show up in a similar manner on the artist page. There are quite a few bio/trivia sections that are sort of cluttered with "Unlisted band X is Y/Z genre" etc. and it would be nice to trim that fat. Only allow this for certain, more trusted ranks, naturally.

Last.fm

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:12 am 

ksevile wrote:
I like it myself actually, too (and I'm also wondering too if this has been brought to the drawing board and suggested before for consideration in the V2 improvement thread maybe--maybe not though, after all, but I would be surprised if not, because it does sound like a good feature to have around). Also, your artistic implementation here was so well done I was initially convinced that your example was de facto and in fact on the current site as I saw it (kudos to you for that), and I have to confess--upon reading your description--I had conceived the rendering would have potentially represented some sort of cosmetic encumbrance, but the arrangement your image portrays would seem to work well from this vantage point.

Copy&paste in corpse paint ;)

Diamhea wrote:
To expound on the usefulness of this potential feature, maybe we can manually add the genres to unlisted bands and have it show up in a similar manner on the artist page. There are quite a few bio/trivia sections that are sort of cluttered with "Unlisted band X is Y/Z genre" etc. and it would be nice to trim that fat. Only allow this for certain, more trusted ranks, naturally.

That was also the thing I was aiming at.

Thank you guys for your warm response.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:14 am 

Diamhea wrote:

That was suggested when the feature for unlisted entries was first brought up. I'd still like to see it happen.

Last.fm | Collection

Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm 

The original rationale for not including or allowing genre tags for unlisted bands was two-fold: There were concerns that convoluted "genre wars" would break out over what to label unlisted bands and well, frankly, that goes well beyond our mission in cataloging metal bands and metal works. I'm personally not against including such a tag for information purposes, but I do dread the day we'd end up getting reports that Nirvana isn't "grunge rock" it's actually "alternative rock (early), grunge/alternative rock (mid), grunge/indie rock (later)" or some messy bullshit like that. As a metal encyclopedia it's really none of our business being involved in the nuanced labeling of non-metal bands. So yeah, on the one hand it might be pretty interesting or useful, and on the other hand it very likely will end up being an off-topic headache of shitty reports and "genre wars." Then again, like Diamhea mentioned above, it seems our users try to include that information in the additional notes anyway.

As for the original idea - including genres for listed metal projects on artist pages - I'm all for it. I'll ask HellBlazer if it's feasible.

mrmystery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:30 am 

hello guys from greece.i think it would be great to see a new filter added,of what albums have been released in one year.for example what albums have been released in 1985.so that we could compare them to ourselves to pick the best one of that year.what do you all think?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:46 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/ad ... re=#albums

Last.fm | Collection

Reply to topic