Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:47 am 
 

Deathcore - death metal plus hardcore.

You may think what you want about the quality of the album, but the aim here is still metal, it is not dominated by hardcore.

With the exception of Bemoan the Martyr, which is an incoherent mixture of diverse parts and styles, which do not fit together.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6119
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 am 
 

Deathcore= metalcore + death metal.

I would also agree about the genre change, certainly tech death (old) deathcore (new) would make sense.
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:11 am 
 

caspian wrote:
Deathcore= metalcore + death metal.

I would also agree about the genre change, certainly tech death (old) deathcore (new) would make sense.

Again, you sense some modernity and are not able to define it. Define the overwhelming hardcore influence, which would the album need in all songs to be labelled as such.
And what is metalcore ? A mixture of metal and hardcore, originally the same as crossover, nowadays usually a mixture of the more modern hardcore streamings and melodic death metal elements.
The core in all those cases signifies a massive hardcore influence. See the discussion about Winds of Plague led by MMIsanthropo several pages back.
I hope you do not want to pretend to be objective in that case, your 1% speaks for itself, also in relation to your 40% something Rainfall review.

In short, you and many other do not see the core tag as a symbol for hardcore music, but for selling out or for trendy music. That is the problem.

Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:39 am 
 

While I don't like metalcore and deathcore and do consider it trendy (while not being elitist; black metal also is trendy), the modern hardcore influences are here, no doubt about it. No point in denying this fact.
However I don't consider the "core" to be trendy itself.

In crossover, the hardcore influences were here too, even thought it was more like hardcore punk. Then again, it's only tags...

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:44 am 
 

AurvandiL wrote:
While I don't like metalcore and deathcore and do consider it trendy (while not being elitist; black metal also is trendy), the modern hardcore influences are here, no doubt about it. No point in denying this fact.
However I don't consider the "core" to be trendy itself.

In crossover, the hardcore influences were here too, even thought it was more like hardcore punk. Then again, it's only tags...

Yes, but do they dominate the music to be extra noticed? When yes, name them in regard to all the songs on the album, not only you, this is directed to the general public.

Not there there were not hardcore influences in their music, but it is not like they would suddenly dominate on the new album.


Last edited by Witcher on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 am 
 

What do you mean? :scratch:

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:49 am 
 

AurvandiL wrote:
What do you mean? :scratch:

Simply- are the new songs so dominantly hardcore based, so that is would need extra description ?
I do not think so.


Last edited by Witcher on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:50 am 
 

No they are not, or else I guess it wouldn't be here.

What defines modern hardcore? shouted vocals, punk-like riffs and d-beat?
I don't know modern hardcore at all...

Top
 Profile  
Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:11 am
Posts: 656
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:16 am 
 

Even most of the aggressive parts of the new Cryptopsy album (first three songs) are a mishmash of dissonance and choppy riffs (almost like Dillinger Escape Plan), only really comparable to death metal bands that have already moved very far from death metal in the first place, like the previous Cryptopsy album or perhaps Origin.

Finding similarity between this and the last Cryptopsy album doesn't prove much, because, again, they'd already wandered pretty far from death metal. The band haven't considered themselves death metal for a while anyway. There are a couple of parts that could be compared to their None So Vile / Blasphemy Made Flesh era, but not many. 'Annoint the Marty' and 'The Headsman' sounds more or less like tech death all the way through, but that's about it.

I'm sure their genre tag is going to get changed sooner or later, if not necessarily to deathcore, because I doubt this album is going to be received as 'technical death metal' by anyone.

Top
 Profile  
MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:34 am 
 

My impressions on the new Cryptopsy:
- A genre change would be welcome, technical DM this is NOT.
- I get what Witcher is saying, there are fewer HC/grind influences here than before. "Worship Your Demons" is a notable exception, as it reminds me of a less frantic Dillenger Escape Plan. There are plenty of other trendy new influences though, from groove metal to whiny alternative rock. The point is that not every modern crap is -core based.
- I can't really blame their "butthurt fans" for being disgusted, I'd react likewise if I heard System of a Down vocals on a Manowar or Mercyful Fate album.

Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:41 am 
 

For all I care, this album has all the basic elements deathcore has and sounds very similar to other bands labeled here as deathcore. I thought deathcore was metalcore (not hardcore) + death metal, but I could be wrong because I'm not an expert on the genre.

On another matter, this may have been mentioned before, but I did a search for the "thrashcore" genre ... and found 143 bands. This suprised me because thrashcore has nothing to do with metal at all. I don't know the reasons as to why these bands are here, but I guess somebody should look into this.
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 am 
 

DGYDP wrote:
For all I care, this album has all the basic elements deathcore has and sounds very similar to other bands labeled here as deathcore. I thought deathcore was metalcore (not hardcore) + death metal, but I could be wrong because I'm not an expert on the genre.

On another matter, this may have been mentioned before, but I did a search for the "thrashcore" genre ... and found 143 bands. This suprised me because thrashcore has nothing to do with metal at all. I don't know the reasons as to why these bands are here, but I guess somebody should look into this.

Those thrashcore bands are usually crossover. The thrashcore tag was used by the part of European press for it, and is nowadays used by crossover bands, who want to escape the metalcore tag.

All the tags with core imply that there is a massive hardcore part in the band's sound. It is not so hard to understand.
The core in metalcore means "hardcore", nothing else.

Those metalcore bands often have also alternative and groove metal elements in their sound, that is also one of the reasons, why they sound modern.

Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:55 am 
 

Yes but shouldn't the genre be changed to "crossover thrash" or "metalcore" then? Because thrashcore is an entirely different genre which has nothing to do with crossover, let alone metal.
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH

Top
 Profile  
dust666
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 683
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:29 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35714

I have the 2006 album. It sounds to me like simply Folk Metal. THe current genre is pretty misleading. I think it should be changed.

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1242
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:48 pm 
 

I just downloaded, given the contention surrounding it, Cryptopsy's new album. These are first impressions, and this is the first Cryptopsy I've heard (ie, I'm not a fanboy here).

-----------

The first track 'Worship Your Demons', despite an early breakdown, is basically just straight-up DM.

As is the second.

The third track 'Silence the Tyrant' is deathcore, no doubt in my mind - but it still stays close to a DM formula.

'Bemoan the Tyrant' is an eclectic mix of Death/Groove, Brutal Death/Deathgrind and those clean vocal sections (which I happen to like), which I don't really know what to call.

'Leach' is another Death/Groove track.

'The Plagued' is another DM track with some groovy parts, and other more melodic parts - basically just a DM track though.

'Resurgence of an Empire' is another unique track on this album - it does sound very much like a deathcore track, but it's more technical than you'd usually find in that genre - Tech Deathcore? Basically.

'Anoint the Dead' is kinda a 50/50 split between DM and deathcore, and it's a weak track because of it (not because of the deathcore parts per se, but because it just doesn't mesh well at all).

'Contemplate Regicide' has this little tremolo picking part in the start, and comes off initially as a Blackened DM track, and then combines that with a deep groovy part for an good mix of elements - the clean vocal section (the weakest on the album up to this point) kills the track though - all the momentum built up initially is lost. Likely the closest to "emo" vocals on the album, I'll give the haters that. A (useless) solo and some more tremolo picking finishes off this track.

'Bound Dead' is a track which, IMO, sounds like it is trying too hard to have a BIG, maybe even epic sound, and fails. It has a nice flow to it, I suppose, but it just doesn't pull off anything in its 6+ minutes. This track is basically just DM, with some clean vocal parts (which do start to go somewhere, but cut off too soon) and some more Death/Groove leanings. The clean vocals at the end do much to help this song, but again it feels less than the sum of it's parts.

(Exit) The Few is just some rather random, DM-based finisher for the album. Kinda bleh.


------


Overall, I get a taste across the spectrum of DM for what the band threw together for this album... it's very eclectic and off-the-wall and organic in that regard. The keyboards are completely buried in the mix, but sound fantastic when they emerge. And honestly, despite a few tracks having some deathcore in them, that's overblown - I heard more Death/Groove parts ala SFU than any sort of JFAC worship. They are definitely not a Tech-death band any more, in any case - and they certainly aren't a deathcore, mallcore, nu metal, metalcore or whatevercore band as is getting bandied-about so much lately.

Would the tag "Experimental Death Metal (new)" be appropriate for a band obviously experiencing some growing pains?
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
OlympicSharpshooter
The Universal Magnetic

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:24 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 pm 
 

I wouldn't be surprised if they backtrack based on the reception this album has received thus far, and this album becomes an anomaly in their catalogue. It might be worth leaving the genre tag as is until we see where they go next. It's rarely worth having a separate genre tag that represents only one album, unless it happens to be their last.
_________________
hells_unicorn wrote:
His [OSS] reviewing style sucks in my opinion, [...] and his humor is vapid at best and outright buffoonish at worst.

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6119
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm 
 

Witcher wrote:
caspian wrote:
Deathcore= metalcore + death metal.

I would also agree about the genre change, certainly tech death (old) deathcore (new) would make sense.

Again, you sense some modernity and are not able to define it. Define the overwhelming hardcore influence, which would the album need in all songs to be labelled as such.
And what is metalcore ? A mixture of metal and hardcore, originally the same as crossover, nowadays usually a mixture of the more modern hardcore streamings and melodic death metal elements.
The core in all those cases signifies a massive hardcore influence. See the discussion about Winds of Plague led by MMIsanthropo several pages back.
I hope you do not want to pretend to be objective in that case, your 1% speaks for itself, also in relation to your 40% something Rainfall review.

In short, you and many other do not see the core tag as a symbol for hardcore music, but for selling out or for trendy music. That is the problem.


So, because I gave the album a very negative review, I'm automatically excluded from any sort of debate? Niiiice. I think I explained my case quite clearly ad rationally in my review, and I am certainly not a 'butthurt fan'.

Also: if you want to have a look at my reviews, you'll see that I have actually gave some metalcore positive reviews in the past. That and the fact that I hardly ever use the -core suffix.

But hey, keep on ranting.
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:29 pm
Posts: 6119
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:02 am 
 

OlympicSharpshooter wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they backtrack based on the reception this album has received thus far, and this album becomes an anomaly in their catalogue. It might be worth leaving the genre tag as is until we see where they go next. It's rarely worth having a separate genre tag that represents only one album, unless it happens to be their last.


Doesn't Celtic Frost have a 'glam' tag based purely off their 'Cold Lake' album?
_________________
http://www.pozible.com/project/177604 <-- got a crowdfunder thing going for an album I'm doing. Pre-order something!

Top
 Profile  
AurvandiL
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am
Posts: 1000
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 am 
 

There a much greater difference between "death/thrash" and "glam metal" whereas "experimental death metal" and "technical death" are in the same death metal spectrum.
The Celtic Frost change was deemed important enough to be mentionned.
Imagine Morbid Angel releasing a straight up black metal album bu just a single one.

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 am 
 

caspian wrote:
Witcher wrote:
caspian wrote:
Deathcore= metalcore + death metal.

I would also agree about the genre change, certainly tech death (old) deathcore (new) would make sense.

Again, you sense some modernity and are not able to define it. Define the overwhelming hardcore influence, which would the album need in all songs to be labelled as such.
And what is metalcore ? A mixture of metal and hardcore, originally the same as crossover, nowadays usually a mixture of the more modern hardcore streamings and melodic death metal elements.
The core in all those cases signifies a massive hardcore influence. See the discussion about Winds of Plague led by MMIsanthropo several pages back.
I hope you do not want to pretend to be objective in that case, your 1% speaks for itself, also in relation to your 40% something Rainfall review.

In short, you and many other do not see the core tag as a symbol for hardcore music, but for selling out or for trendy music. That is the problem.


So, because I gave the album a very negative review, I'm automatically excluded from any sort of debate? Niiiice. I think I explained my case quite clearly ad rationally in my review, and I am certainly not a 'butthurt fan'.

Also: if you want to have a look at my reviews, you'll see that I have actually gave some metalcore positive reviews in the past. That and the fact that I hardly ever use the -core suffix.

But hey, keep on ranting.

Sorry, but 1% rating is far from being objective (I sincerely hope you can see THAT), unless the band in question is some noisy bedroom bm band. Plus the fact that you have decided to jump on the bandwagon. You vcan give a rating, which you want, but do not wonder, if I think about you what I do.

You also speak about emo in your review , and while the vocals are a time whiney, the music has nothing to do with emo . If anything, one f the clean parts sound like Alice in Chains. Objectivity? I do not see much of it in this case. Or the needed distance from it.
I will keep on ranting, as long as people will keep on reporting absurdities as emocore or nu-metal as their genre.

Second, nobody of you was able to explain, why the album should be particularly hardcore based. In fact, it is not as MMIsanthropo has explained you above.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... start=3800
Your last sentence about objectivity proves most of that I have said.

By the way, when reviews should be completely subjective, why to argument with them in regard to the quality of the album? They would hold not decriptive value, since their opinions would be according to you purely personal.
A bit of a flawed logic , don't you think?
A review would always hold a degree of subjectivity by default, but for it to hold some general validity or informative value to others, you should go beyond that and try to decribe what is bad, what is good on the album from a more objective position.
Good article on all that:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2059766_write-m ... eview.html

Does that completely exclude you ?
No, but it takes away objective validity from most, that you would like to say to the topic in question.

Top
 Profile  
Fulgurius
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:11 am 
 

I have to say that I was wondered when I saw that Inearthed (pre-Children of Bodom) is listed here as Power/Speed Metal. I have heard two of their demos and they sound predominantly death metal to me. Yes, there are some elements that later evolved into their "power/speed metal" sound on "Something Wild", but IMO it's blasphemy to put this into one genre with Gamma Ray. I think melodic death metal is better description for their sound on those demos. Has anybody listened to it?

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5347
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:31 am 
 

Witcher wrote:
[... ]is far from being objective [...]
Witcher, do not try to exaggerate the 'objectivity' of reviews on this site too much. Read most of them and compare them to the reality... I just read reviews here mainly for entertaining purposes, not because to get insights on how the album sounds; looking back I regreted to have bought on or the other album which got a good rating here. I have other sites for getting qualified writings on metal albums. To use reviews on this site as a basis for the credibility of a person is an ambivalent thing.
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:36 am 
 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Witcher wrote:
[... ]is far from being objective [...]
Witcher, do not try to exaggerate the 'objectivity' of reviews on this site too much. Read most of them and compare them to the reality... I just read reviews here mainly for entertaining purposes, not because to get insights on how the album sounds; looking back I regreted to have bought on or the other album which got a good rating here. I have other sites for getting qualified writings on metal albums. To use reviews on this site as a basis for the credibility of a person is an ambivalent thing.

You are right and it makes the attacks on somebody, who would like generally to see more objectivity in reviews here, even more unjustifiable.

By the way, reviews exclusively for entertaining purposes would not need any detailed musical description, yet reviews that lack it are requested for deletion on the review forum.

The point here is only an attitude on a certain issue, which can be noticed in reviews and statements on this page.
Example, if someone calls Opeth poseurcore, his opinion certainly should not be deciding in defining their genre. I hope you would agree with that.

Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 am 
 

I'd like to ask again on the amount of thrascore bands being here.

Thrashcore is a faster sort of hardcore punk, it has nothing to do with metal, whatsoever. I've seen people mixing this genre up with crossover thrash, which is something completely different.

Not sure how I could express that any more clearer. Thrashcore is a subgenre of hardcore while crossover is a subgenre of thrash metal.
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:17 am 
 

DGYDP wrote:
I'd like to ask again on the amount of thrascore bands being here.

Thrashcore is a faster sort of hardcore punk, it has nothing to do with metal, whatsoever. I've seen people mixing this genre up with crossover thrash, which is something completely different.

Not sure how I could express that any more clearer. Thrashcore is a subgenre of hardcore while crossover is a subgenre of thrash metal.

Yes, but do you expect us to do nothing else than correct the genres for the next two hours?

:roll:
I have eplained to you, that the bands themselves are pefectly valid, unless somebody usees it as another word for nu-metal.

Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:24 am 
 

The only reply I got when I first mentioned it was quite vague and it left me wondering if anybody was going to work on this problem. That's why I asked about it again.

I was just reporting an error so the site could be improved, why such a harsh reaction? I don't expect anybody to do anything, forgive me for pointing out flaws.
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:29 am 
 

DGYDP wrote:
The only reply I got when I first mentioned it was quite vague and it left me wondering if anybody was going to work on this problem. That's why I asked about it again.

I was just reporting an error so the site could be improved, why such a harsh reaction? I don't expect anybody to do anything, forgive me for pointing out flaws.

Because you got already a reply yesterday, which was clear enough.

If you consider it too harsh, then it was notintended to be so, but I constantly wonder, how many users are able to understand in more details, how the site works and look at the things from our point of view for a moment.

This was the point, nothing more:

Those thrashcore bands are usually crossover. The thrashcore tag was used by the part of European press for it, and is nowadays used by crossover bands, who want to escape the metalcore tag.

The original tag was indeed invented for a hardcore punk subgenre.

Top
 Profile  
MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:58 pm 
 

I have the feeling that most bands accepted as "thrashcore" are actually groove metal with metalcore or modern HC influences.

Top
 Profile  
Witcher
Metal freak

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am
Posts: 6077
Location: Czech Republic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:03 pm 
 

MMisantropo wrote:
I have the feeling that most bands accepted as "thrashcore" are actually groove metal with metalcore or modern HC influences.

Some of them were, especially those submitted by French and Spanish users, for some reasons.

Top
 Profile  
Fulgurius
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:32 am 
 

I have to ask again about the genre of Deviator (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=99896). I think ambient and death metal can be added to the genre. Demos "Anomie" and "Estrangement" are ambient and "Black Stronghold" is black metal with death metal and ambient elements. Descriptions in Satanarsa Records catalogue:
"Anomie" - dark ambient
"Black Stronghold" - atmospheric raw black/death
"Estrangement" - pagan ambient
http://stn-r.narod.ru/distro.html
http://stn-r.narod.ru/cat.html

Also band's bio and mp3 samples can be found here: http://utm.in.ua/bands.php?mode=band&bid=1227
There are all 5 songs from "Black Stronghold" and "Intro" from "Anomie".

Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5347
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:17 am 
 

'Folky'
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10075
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=12587

Should be changed to Folk on both bands, as this terms is only used on their sites.


http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=31150
Ambient Pagan Black/Doom Metal (early) - Folk Metal (now)
Hurr hurr hurr.... very funny. One releae out, a demo, and a genre description that is rather appropriate for a band with an existance of ten years or so.
I would suggest: Pagan Metal with folk influences
As the second demo is not out yet and there is also no release date announced, it is pretty pointless to have an 'early' and 'now' in the genre description.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=78631
Melodic/Gothic Metal with Influences of Folk & Classical Music
should be changed to:
Melodic/Gothic Metal with folk/ classical music influences

this one is also pretty entertaining:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=47601
Pagan Black Metal with War Ambient Folk influences
I do not really get the second part. Why the term 'war'?

I also think that 'folkish' should be replaced by folk or by something accordingly.

1. Azarok Folkish Black Metal
2. Elsinor Folkish Heavy Metal
3. Golfaron Folkish NS Black Metal
4. Ice Desert Folkish Pagan Metal/Dark Ambient
5. Rivendell Folkish epic black metal
6. Sigrblot Black Metal/Dark Folkish Metal
7. Skidbladnir Viking Metal with some folkish elements
8. Zirze Folkish Power Metal
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
Fanfarigoule
Veteran

Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:59 am
Posts: 3294
Location: France
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:36 am 
 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
'Folky'
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10075
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=12587

Should be changed to Folk on both bands, as this terms is only used on their sites.


http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=31150
Ambient Pagan Black/Doom Metal (early) - Folk Metal (now)
Hurr hurr hurr.... very funny. One releae out, a demo, and a genre description that is rather appropriate for a band with an existance of ten years or so.
I would suggest: Pagan Metal with folk influences
As the second demo is not out yet and there is also no release date announced, it is pretty pointless to have an 'early' and 'now' in the genre description.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=78631
Melodic/Gothic Metal with Influences of Folk & Classical Music
should be changed to:
Melodic/Gothic Metal with folk/ classical music influences

Fixed.
oneyoudontknow wrote:
this one is also pretty entertaining:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=47601
Pagan Black Metal with War Ambient Folk influences
I do not really get the second part. Why the term 'war'?

Changed to "Pagan Black Metal with Folk ambient influences".

Top
 Profile  
PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm
Posts: 653
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm 
 

Accu§er - What the hell is "Classic Thrash"? If the band (I haven't heard them) is a mixture of traditional heavy metal and thrash, then it should be labeled "Heavy/Thrash Metal (early), Groove/thrash metal(later)", or something like that. If Accu§er is an old-school thrash band, than just "Thrash Metal" will suffice for the first part of the genre tag.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1323

Also, "Gothic/Progressive/Electronic Metal/Darkwave/Trance/Vocal House/Classical"

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1373

WHAT THE FUCK?? :scratch:

...

:nono:
_________________
The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
In the interests of fairness, Japan is not allowed in any ridiculousness contests.

Top
 Profile  
PhantomOTO
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:19 am
Posts: 3242
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:23 pm 
 

Fixed the Accu§er page. Also, that Braindance band looks really questionable, not just in genre, but if that is even a remotely accurate description, it shouldn't be here.

Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:38 am 
 

Listening to Angelus Apatrida's "Give 'em War" album now and it sounds a lot more closer to groove than thrash. I haven't heard their other work, but this album is not thrash (just groove metal) at all.

edit: this is what they cite their influences as: "80's - 90's Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, New Wave Of American Heavy Metal". Perhaps the genre should be changed to thrash/groove metal or simply groove metal?
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH


Last edited by DGYDP on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 6:25 pm
Posts: 5347
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 am 
 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Fixed the Accu§er page. Also, that Braindance band looks really questionable, not just in genre, but if that is even a remotely accurate description, it shouldn't be here.

The question is how they have sounded on their early records. Their latest stuff is certainly not metal.
_________________

I write for these magazines:
http://swirlsofnoise.com/
http://againstmagazine.com/

Analysis of band names:
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103987

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1429
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm 
 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:
Fixed the Accu§er page. Also, that Braindance band looks really questionable, not just in genre, but if that is even a remotely accurate description, it shouldn't be here.

The question is how they have sounded on their early records. Their latest stuff is certainly not metal.


Hmmm...that band is not metal at all. They even describe themselves as Progressive Darkwave. I vote for deletion.

Top
 Profile  
Carver
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 am
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:24 am 
 

Witcher wrote:
MMisantropo wrote:
I have the feeling that most bands accepted as "thrashcore" are actually groove metal with metalcore or modern HC influences.

Some of them were, especially those submitted by French and Spanish users, for some reasons.


I vote for checking all the bands under Thrashcore since this genre is a pure punk rock genre as I know. Probably the bands are more into crossover thrash or groove metalcore as MMisantropo already said.

Top
 Profile  
Fulgurius
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 am 
 

Childermas (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=50920)
Their "Argotique" album is electronic/gothic rock, you can check two songs on their Realmusic page (http://www.realmusic.ru/childermas), the full album is here http://rapidshare.com/files/62095909/Ch ... s.rar.html
Of what I've heard first two demos were doom/gothic metal, though can't find them now.


Last edited by Fulgurius on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
DGYDP
Leather Lion

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 1244
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:59 pm 
 

Genre for Ktulu: "Thrash Metal (earlier) - Post-Thrash/Groove/Industrial Metal (now)"

How about changing that to "Thrash Metal (early) - Groove/Industrial Metal (now)" ... since post-thrash and groove are just synonmys?
_________________
Geshy wrote:
DEH NEH NEH NEHHHH.. BEH DUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHH NAHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH, BEH DUNDUNDUNDUNDUN WAHHHH DEH NEH NEH NEHHHHH

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 58  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group