Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 4906
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:09 am 
 

A lot of bands from Connecticut are labeled as "Melodic Death/Thrash Metal" when it's not a very good description of any.

Apostasy: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Apostasy/39426#
Current genre: Melodic Death/Thrash Metal (not really thrashy, not really MDM)
Proper genre: Metalcore/Melodic Death Metal (sounds like early All That Remains without clean vocals, or maybe mid-era Darkest Hour)
Music: http://www.facebook.com/apostasymetal/app_178091127385

Margo: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Margo/116438#
Current: Death metal
Proper: Deathcore (sounds like The Acacia Strain's debut mixed in with death metal)
Music: http://www.myspace.com/margometal

Eyes Of the Dead: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Eye ... Dead/75746
Current: Melodic Death/Thrash Metal (this label seems overused for bands from CT)
Proper: Death Metal (there are other sounds in there, but it's primarily DM)
Music: http://www.myspace.com/eotd

Nethereal: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nethereal/109844#
Current: Melodic Death/Black Metal (no black metal other than higher pitched growled vocals, not really MDM)
Proper: Extreme Progressive Metal (using the same genre as early Opeth - longer songs with use of odd times and syncopation, prog stuff with keyboards and growls, not too deathy)
Music: http://www.myspace.com/nethereal

Myopia: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Myopia/101814
Current: Progressive Power Metal/Heavy Metal (not much heavy metal)
Proper: Progressive Power Metal (it's quite flowery)
Music: http://www.myspace.com/myopia

Judas Cradle: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Jud ... 3540317920
Current: Melodic Death/Thrash Metal (not at all)
Proper: Metalcore, Heavy/Power Metal (each song seems to alternate between early 00's MA metalcore and amateur Fates Warning imitation)
Music: http://www.myspace.com/555845086

Top
 Profile  
TheUnhinged
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:28 pm
Posts: 105
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm 
 

Goatfangs wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Omit/3540329804
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Skumring/31448

Aside from purely female vocals, both of these bands contain a mix of funeral doom and classical elements similar to Funeral, Fallen and Mournful Congregation. Though I've probably brought up Skumring before, Omit is definitely a funeral doom band with all the trademarks of the genre - long compositions, slow speed, heavy weeping guitar riffs. The only thing they are missing are the low, cavernous grunts, but there are several funeral doom bands that lack those as well (Fallen, Grove, Murkrat, Believe in Nothing to name a few). It's up to you to change the genre, it's a minor detail that would only narrow down their specific style. Perhaps both could be listed as "Melodic Funeral Doom"?


I agree with this 100%. Funeral Doom Metal for Skumring and Gothic/Funeral Doom Metal for Omit would fit perfectly, I believe. Both are much more extreme than the tag Melodic Doom Metal, which is a good description for the likes of The 3rd and the Mortal, Unsilence, and Semper Dolens. Omit and Skumring have a sound more similar to the bands Goatfangs mentioned, as well as other ethereal yet extreme doom bands such as Remembrance, Night of Suicide, and perhaps Consummatum Est.

Top
 Profile  
TheGrimWombat
Nelson Wannabe

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:06 am
Posts: 1414
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:37 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/371681

Or probably just Groove Metal.

I based my original submission on a review.
_________________
Successful deals: Metalrecords, screamingskulls1313, Gogsi (x2), Kovner, Lord_Elden, sehaitt, blutkvlts, Matty_The_Emo_Slayer, einvolk, Madcow

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1419
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/371681

Or probably just Groove Metal.

I based my original submission on a review.


Changed. I had a good laugh at the title 'I Don't Fear to be Died'.
By the way, you remember if this was released on cd?

Top
 Profile  
TheGrimWombat
Nelson Wannabe

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:06 am
Posts: 1414
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:09 pm 
 

Definitely released on CD. I don't have it on me these days, as I gave it away to a friend who was more interested in this music.
_________________
Successful deals: Metalrecords, screamingskulls1313, Gogsi (x2), Kovner, Lord_Elden, sehaitt, blutkvlts, Matty_The_Emo_Slayer, einvolk, Madcow

Top
 Profile  
hey
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:41 am 
 

I've been looking through random bands by genre lately, and it seems relatively common for some of them to have an unusual genre tag. For some of these, there was an obvious fix ("Black/Death" should be "Black/Death Metal" as an example). In other cases, there were bands with a genre of something like "Ritualistic Ambient/Black Metal". I don't know too much about the genre, but I don't believe that ritualistic ambient is a very official term. Is it alright to report bands like that?

Top
 Profile  
Alhadis
Madder Max

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am
Posts: 3598
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am 
 

Quote:
In other cases, there were bands with a genre of something like "Ritualistic Ambient/Black Metal". I don't know too much about the genre, but I don't believe that ritualistic ambient is a very official term. Is it alright to report bands like that?

As an avid listener of the genre, I can say that "Ritual Ambient" is a perfectly legitimate and accepted subgenre. "Ritualistic" is really the wrong descriptor, though (not to mention overly wordy).

And yes, you can report cases like that. :) I'd recommend submitting the report under "General Updates/Mistakes" if it's something minor (like capitalising "Black metal" to "Black Metal", adding " Metal" to "Black/Death", etc).
_________________
J_Ason wrote:
grinder12345 wrote:
And you says that metal is about the riffs, that is bollocks, cause then black and death bands wouldn't get accepted, cause the play termolo-riffs.

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:08 pm 
 

Alhadis wrote:
like capitalising "Black metal" to "Black Metal"

Shush! Napero might hear you. :tinfoil:
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
hey
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 pm
Posts: 1377
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:44 pm 
 

Thanks for clearing that up Alhadis. I'll try to make sure I don't ever get carried away and only submit reports when the genre should undoubtedly be something else. It's kinda of tempting to imagine that there's a guaranteed way to determine what a band should be labeled as, but it seems like they variety far too much for that to exist.

I guess I'm probably just over thinking something that's actually pretty trivial. :-P

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 pm 
 

Vàli
Current: Neofolk
Suggestion: Acoustic Neofolk

Audio samples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5kSfUwAxHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wU2DMebGZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQiae9W-QDU

Top
 Profile  
MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm 
 

Aren't most neofolk bands acoustic? "Acoustic neofolk" sounds to me as redundant as "electric heavy metal".

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5240
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:42 pm 
 

Acoustic neofolk... :lol:
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4927
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:37 pm 
 

Process Of Guilt should have its genre changed in light of the metamorphosis happening in the band's sound since 2009's Erosion, and even more considering the new album Faemin. I can only give the song they have on Bandcamp as an example because the promo I've had access to only allows me to stream the album, otherwise I'd give more examples.

Here is the new song.

Their genre should be change to something like "Doom/death (early), Progressive Sludge Metal/Post-hardcore (later)", or something along those lines, because only their first album is actually doom/death. Apart from the above example and the songs from Erosion on Youtube, I can only give my word as a fact that they're now even more Neurosis-oriented than on Erosion.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Megadeth
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:26 pm
Posts: 481
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:46 pm 
 

MMisantropo wrote:
Aren't most neofolk bands acoustic? "Acoustic neofolk" sounds to me as redundant as "electric heavy metal".

Hmmm... Maybe I should have looked up what neofolk was before posting. Most times I've heard bands labeled as neofolk they have been mixed genres, while Vàli is 100% acoustic.

Btw, is neofolk automatically considered metal here? All Vàli's material has the same style as the linked clips. Is that "metal" enough, or should bands like Vàli that doesn't cross with black metal or something else be removed?

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5240
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:21 am 
 

Now that you mention it I don't know what they are doing on the site. I never heard of Foreshadow Music so I doubt they have worldwide distribution.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1894
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
 

Hellvetron (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hellvetron/91493) should have their tag changed to black/death/doom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH5DLedp ... re=related
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Sathanas_BM wrote:
The biggest influence of Swedish Death Metal is In Flames.

That's not right. That's not even wrong. It's so fundamentally inaccurate that I think it may well be incorrectable.

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1894
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 pm 
 

This post wasn't addressed:

Viral wrote:


Just in case, I'm aware of Morrigan's post right after but it wasn't in relation to the one above.
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Sathanas_BM wrote:
The biggest influence of Swedish Death Metal is In Flames.

That's not right. That's not even wrong. It's so fundamentally inaccurate that I think it may well be incorrectable.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:51 am 
 

Dealt with Viral's last two posts.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4927
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am 
 

androdion wrote:
Process Of Guilt should have its genre changed in light of the metamorphosis happening in the band's sound since 2009's Erosion, and even more considering the new album Faemin. I can only give the song they have on Bandcamp as an example because the promo I've had access to only allows me to stream the album, otherwise I'd give more examples.

Here is the new song.

Their genre should be change to something like "Doom/death (early), Progressive Sludge Metal/Post-hardcore (later)", or something along those lines, because only their first album is actually doom/death. Apart from the above example and the songs from Erosion on Youtube, I can only give my word as a fact that they're now even more Neurosis-oriented than on Erosion.

How about this one? Album is already out now.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Ogerz001
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 pm
Posts: 200
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:47 pm 
 

Asbeel
Should be changed from Death Metal to Power / Thrash Metal. They is also a doom metal influence. (Bad at genres)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAlTgqqAAu8

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5903
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:05 pm 
 

Ogerz001 wrote:
Asbeel
Should be changed from Death Metal to Power / Thrash Metal. They is also a doom metal influence. (Bad at genres)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAlTgqqAAu8

Changed.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am
Posts: 233
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:22 am 
 

Hi. The Berzerker are listed as industrial death metal/grindcore. While it's true they play death metal/grindcore with an electronic influence, the electronic influence is hardcore techno/gabber, not industrial. If you don't want to take my word for it, their songs can easily be found on youtube.

Furthermore I think "nu-metal/mallcore" should be added to Machine Head's genre. IMO their albums "The Burning Red" and "Supercharger" are pure nu-metal. Once again, both albums can be easily found on youtube.
_________________
- The Mgt.

Top
 Profile  
Viral
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 am
Posts: 1894
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
 

Knelt Rote (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kne ... 3540339606)'s tag should be changed to black metal/grindcore/industrial/noise (early), black/death metal with industrial/noise influences (now). Ideally, that should be the tag yet realistically it would trimmed down at mod discretion. I feel their most recent release is predominately blackened death metal in the vein of Incantation with the odd power electronics part thrown in at random parts. I don't know. Judge for yourselves, I guess:

older stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F8xAQiWWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRMoI4zHpU

newer stuff:
http://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcam ... gnificance (the whole album is available for listen)
_________________
The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Sathanas_BM wrote:
The biggest influence of Swedish Death Metal is In Flames.

That's not right. That's not even wrong. It's so fundamentally inaccurate that I think it may well be incorrectable.

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8772
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:23 am 
 

I'll check them out soon, but the genre you're proposing is just way too long!

While I'm here, I'm listening to the latest Process of Guilt, it's a great record, but I don't think the genre "Doom/death" fits, there's some sludge and post hardcore in there as well, in my opinion. I'd like to get the support of Androdion who's a fan of the band.

Process of Guilt - Harvest from their latest album, Faemin
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4927
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:47 am 
 

Metantoine wrote:
I'll check them out soon, but the genre you're proposing is just way too long!

While I'm here, I'm listening to the latest Process of Guilt, it's a great record, but I don't think the genre "Doom/death" fits, there's some sludge and post hardcore in there as well, in my opinion. I'd like to get the support of Androdion who's a fan of the band.

Process of Guilt - Harvest from their latest album, Faemin

Look a few posts above mate, I had actually posted about it. ;) I can upload the whole album to a mod if needed.
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8772
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:18 pm 
 

What do you propose? Doom/Death/Sludge sounds good to me. I can change it by the way.
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4927
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 pm 
 

Whatever sounds good to you sounds good to me, although I think that they rely heavily on a dense atmosphere. Maybe you can work something out with that. ;)
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2210
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm 
 

http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... band_genre

All of those bands listed should have the genre tag "Mallcore" changed to "Nu-metal" ... although there might be certain bands where "Alternative metal" is a better tag (I doubt this, since Mallcore is pretty much synonymous with nu-metal in these parts). The only reason being is the site should use as neutral as possible genre names that bands would actually identify with - some bands would call their music nu-metal or alternative metal. I doubt any band would use "Mallcore" to describe themselves though, just like you'd be hard pressed to find a glam rock/metal band willingly call themselves a butt-rock band... the exception being in cases of parody acts. So, in the interest of objectivity, the term Mallcore ought to be in disuse in official contexts and replaced with the more correct term "Nu-metal". There was never a Mallcore scene, where people identified with the term Mallcore and got together in malls to discuss their favorite bands, but rather it was a term coined by detractors since the rise in popularity of Hot Topic more or less coincided with Nu-metal becoming popular in the late 90s.

I remember previous terms that used to be common on MA be replaced with more correct and neutral terms. I once saw The Bezerker listed as "Hyper-speed industrial death/grind" or something like that. There was also a time when "Power metal with harsh vocals" was used for Kalmah, Children of Bodom and Norther, among others. !T.O.O.H.! used to be called "Bizarre experimental death/grind", or something to that effect, and I think Pan.Thy.Monium had the Bizarre tag at one point as well. Cannibal Corpse and others were listed as "Gore metal", and I think an argument was put forth against labeling bands Goregrind for a similar reason - since despite there being a growing scene that identifies with the labels Goregrind and Pornogrind, musically there is very little that distinguishes these bands from regular grindcore.

There are terms that used to be disused, but now are more commonly used because a scene has developed around this genre tag and identified with it. Post-metal is especially this and even more recently "Post-Black metal" but I think "Djent" is becoming a distinct genre - although I doubt many bands will be listed as such here (There is one already though) because it is quite recent and Djent bands can be described with more widely known terms such as "Technical post-thrash", etc. But still, a better argument can be made for using the term Djent rather than Mallcore because there are bands that are calling themselves Djent these days. It's become a label where bands and fans are identifying with. This is how genres get their name. Why else is first-wave black metal even considered black metal, even if it bares little similarity with second-wave black metal? Because Venom released "Black Metal" and influenced a whole lot of bands in the process. They sang about Satan, and many bands started singing about Satan including Hellhammer, and now there are lots of bands that sing about Satan. Death metal wouldn't be death metal if it weren't for "Death by Metal". But, it could have been a different name if a band used a label that caused a lot of other bands to use the same label.

Hell, "heavy metal" could have itself been another label, were it not for Sir Lord Baltimore being described as such, and the eventual identity forming around the label of heavy metal starting in the late 1970s. People probably called it noise back then, people probably still call it noise, but that's not the real name of heavy metal.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 pm 
 

I personally would also argue towards that point of changing their genres to nu-metal, but besides the owners probably not liking that idea very much, I can see another problem there - namely, that it would raise a bunch of "If X nu-metal band is here, then why are Slipknot still banned from the website" and "You guys say yourself that it's nu-METAL, so y u no Mudvayne!? ;____________;" posts. I would, however, argue that for the sake of being encyclopedic, the genre's actual name should be used if that goal can be reached without too much hassle, if only because it is more open to the reader's common reference (in its current state, it's more-or-less equivalent to writing a novel in a language that the author created himself). That being said:
Goatfangs wrote:
I think an argument was put forth against labeling bands Goregrind for a similar reason - since despite there being a growing scene that identifies with the labels Goregrind and Pornogrind, musically there is very little that distinguishes these bands from regular grindcore.

That's not even remotely correct and you should be ashamed for insinuating such. :(
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8772
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 pm 
 

I'm ambitious and I like to work on the site, but I don't feel like listening to 40 bands to see if they're "nu metal" or "alternative metal". This would be painful!
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm 
 

I wouldn't even consider "alternative metal" much of a genre, anyways. All the bands I've heard described with that tag could easily be grouped into nu-metal without much trouble.
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2210
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I personally would also argue towards that point of changing their genres to nu-metal, but besides the owners probably not liking that idea very much, I can see another problem there - namely, that it would raise a bunch of "If X nu-metal band is here, then why are Slipknot still banned from the website" and "You guys say yourself that it's nu-METAL, so y u no Mudvayne!? ;____________;" posts. I would, however, argue that for the sake of being encyclopedic, the genre's actual name should be used if that goal can be reached without too much hassle, if only because it is more open to the reader's common reference (in its current state, it's more-or-less equivalent to writing a novel in a language that the author created himself). That being said:
Goatfangs wrote:
I think an argument was put forth against labeling bands Goregrind for a similar reason - since despite there being a growing scene that identifies with the labels Goregrind and Pornogrind, musically there is very little that distinguishes these bands from regular grindcore.

That's not even remotely correct and you should be ashamed for insinuating such. :(


So what about metalcore and deathcore? Just because deathcore has "death" in the name and there are deathcore bands listed doesn't mean all deathcore is metal. Same deal with metalcore, which has "metal" right in the name, but there are a lot of metalcore bands that are quite far removed from metal. Renaming all metalcore bands listed on the site to a pejorative nickname (like faggotcore) that no band would identify with it would not cease people arguing for the inclusion of certain metal bands, and renaming all mallcore bands to the more commonly known genre (nu-metal) will probably not be a direct cause of people arguing for the inclusion of more nu-metal bands because people will do so anyway. I've already seen posts arguing for nu-metal bands just because they are called metal by Wikipedia.

As for Goregrind, I'll admit I don't listen to a lot of this, but I do see over 200 bands listed as such on the site vs. 0 bands for Pornogrind. I take back what I said about distinguishing Goregrind from regular grindcore, and instead say that there is very little, musically, that distinguishes Pornogrind with Goregrind. Both tend to be very fast, very low, very disgusting sounding, and many Goregrind bands have porno-lyrics, and many porno-bands have gore lyrics. I think in this case the term originated based on lyrical themes, much like Death Metal (of which many bands have death as a lyrical theme), but the sound became more distinct from regular grindcore and the label became common enough for a scene to develop and bands and fans to identify with.

The "Mallcore" vs "Nu-metal" thing is not a big issue. It's just a suggestion, since this site is still supposed to contain objective information instead of subjective opinions. Leave those for the reviews, which are allowed to be more subjective than the information listed on the site.


Because Alternative is used 112 times on this site, and no "Mallcore" bands listed use the term, I think it is safe to just replace "Mallcore" with "Nu-metal" if the moderators agree to do away with the term "Mallcore". Again, it's just a suggestion and I won't be offended if it's not followed.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 1:24 am
Posts: 2785
Location: A step closer to home
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:37 pm 
 

As for the whining issue...eh, I see your point, but I can't help but get the feeling that a fair bit of drama will tag along with such a change, even though I do support the change you'd proposed.

As for goregrind/pornogrind: the legitimacy of pornogrind as a musically unique genre is debatable, and I don't listen to what bands are commonly referred to as "pornogrind" often enough to take a stance on that front, but goregrind has, for the most part, detached from most of its grindcore influence in the past decade, becoming what is essentially very groovy, distorted rock music with varying degrees of death metal influence included. For example, bands like Catasexual Urge Motivation, Jig-Ai, G.U.T. and Cock and Ball Torture have all cut away practically all of the grindcore influence that was originally associated with goregrind. I understand that I'm arguing against a point that isn't presently being made, but I see the legitimacy of goregrind being questioned rather often, and it never bothers me any less, for the simple reason that I don't see any way one could spin the history of bands like the aforementioned four to say that they have anything in common with what is commonly regarded as grindcore.

Anyways, I'm done debating this for now. I don't see any reason to squabble with you over what are purely hypothetical scenarios at the moment.
_________________
Guitarpro77889 wrote:
which ones are mainstream cuz i will stop listening to them

Top
 Profile  
Alhadis
Madder Max

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am
Posts: 3598
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:42 am 
 

:facepalm: There's no such genre as "pornogrind". It's simply goregrind with a different lyrical emphasis (pornography instead of gore), with perhaps a greater emphasis on groove. If there's one thing that shits me, it's people trying to differentiate between the two, FFS.

Quote:
I think in this case the term originated based on lyrical themes, much like Death Metal (of which many bands have death as a lyrical theme), but the sound became more distinct from regular grindcore and the label became common enough for a scene to develop and bands and fans to identify with.

Ugh, if you don't know the history of the movements, please don't try to "guess". :ugh: Yes, goregrind was originally termed based on lyrical content, but it evolved hand-in-hand with a distinctly recognisable style of grindcore (which was obviously pioneered by Carcass). Roiling guitars, pitchshifted-everything and bass-heavy percussive riffs became the musical trademarks of the subgenre, as opposed to regular grindcore which was recognisable primarily by punk-ish riffing and speed (whereas tempo was arguably less pivotal to song structure in goregrind than grindcore).

Quote:
I'm ambitious and I like to work on the site, but I don't feel like listening to 40 bands to see if they're "nu metal" or "alternative metal". This would be painful!

This. Can't speak for every other mod, but I can't see many of us wanting to sit through 40 crap bands and trying to differentiate between a turd and a lump of crap.

Sorry for the less-than-objective analogy, but it fits: this is a site that documents metal, and I don't really see that it's our responsibility to monitor the accuracy of non-metal genres.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:
grinder12345 wrote:
And you says that metal is about the riffs, that is bollocks, cause then black and death bands wouldn't get accepted, cause the play termolo-riffs.

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Top
 Profile  
Goatfangs
Wicker Mantis

Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:02 pm
Posts: 2210
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:19 pm 
 

Aldebaran could be considered "funeral doom", especially the latest album is very slow but not quite drone - melodic and mournful in a similar way to Mournful Congregation, and I don't really hear any sludge. Although earlier stuff probably had a lot more sludge.

The only thing Omit doesn't have that other funeral doom bands have are death vocals. Slow, heavy guitars, dreamlike atmosphere and long compositions with symphonic elements that are slightly influenced by the likes of Skepticism, Shape of Despair, but yet stand on their own in a very unique way are just a few of the attributes Omit shares with most funeral doom bands.

The same can be pretty much said for Skumring as well.
_________________
And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Top
 Profile  
Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 pm
Posts: 8772
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:50 pm 
 

I agree for Alderaban. It's changed
_________________
Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Top
 Profile  
uglur
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Posts: 173
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 pm 
 

why do you keep ignoring my reports on jan? (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Jan/21758)
the band is not and was never related to any ns themes whatsoever.
can you tell me any songtitle of jan which sounds national socialist?

the page from the booklet of the new album i added says:
"...the creator of this work distances himself from xenophobia, racism, hatred, violence, misanthropy, false pride, religious fanaticism..."
not very ns, right?

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
RETIRED

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 5240
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:36 pm 
 

I don't see any NS in the songtitles.
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/droneriot
Join my death/doom group on Last.fm!!
My blog: http://droneriot.blogspot.de/
Alpha Drone at Bandcamp: http://alphadrone.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Alhadis
Madder Max

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am
Posts: 3598
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 pm 
 

I've changed it to just "Black Metal". If you want it termed "Industrial Black Metal", though, you're going to have to show some song samples.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:
grinder12345 wrote:
And you says that metal is about the riffs, that is bollocks, cause then black and death bands wouldn't get accepted, cause the play termolo-riffs.

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Top
 Profile  
uglur
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:42 pm
Posts: 173
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:04 am 
 

Alhadis wrote:
I've changed it to just "Black Metal". If you want it termed "Industrial Black Metal", though, you're going to have to show some song samples.


ok thanks.
i can't digitize tapes at the moment, but when i get the album i'll provide some.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 57  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group