Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gravesideservice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:44 pm 

my band was denied for "not being metal " true we are very keyboard driven , but we released our first cd due to not having a guitar player . we do now , however , and plan to keep it that way . once our next cd is released , octoctor ( hopefully ) then we can reapply ? also there are many black metal band s such as master's hammer , burzum , coven , etc . that are recognized as "black metal " and very similar to our current sound and style . any ideas ?

GraveSideService

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 pm 

It would be best if you wait until your next release, the absence of guitar on a release can really subtract from the metal aesthetic. You would probably have a much better chance of acceptance if you had a recording with full instrumentation in the style of black metal. So wait until you release something with guitars then try again, that's my best advice.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:53 pm 

Reaper43 wrote:
It would be best if you wait until your next release, the absence of guitar on a release can really subtract from the metal aesthetic.

Subtract? More like completely eliminates.

Strange Death Metal

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm 

Reaper43 wrote:
It would be best if you wait until your next release, the absence of guitar on a release can really subtract from the metal aesthetic. You would probably have a much better chance of acceptance if you had a recording with full instrumentation in the style of black metal. So wait until you release something with guitars then try again, that's my best advice.

Exactly.

By the way, you can imagine, that I know Master's Hammer very well, and they were always based on heavy guitars, except for Šlágry, which was mostly not metal.

But they have two clearly metal albums and some early metal demos.

They as well as Burzum, are here for their metal releases, not for their electronic or ambient ones.
One metal album is enough, but it must be already released in time of submission.

Last edited by Witcher on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm 

If you've found a guitarist and your new music makes considerable use of him, yes, you can try again. However, you'll have to wait until you've produced a viable release in your new style (excepting sideprojects, bands cannot be admitted to the Archive on the basis of a release that isn't metal).
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:05 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Reaper43 wrote:
It would be best if you wait until your next release, the absence of guitar on a release can really subtract from the metal aesthetic.

Subtract? More like completely eliminates.

Yes, if you're completely absent of bass and guitar. I however was referring to guitar specifically, it is possible to make aesthetically metal music with only bass, though the chances of it sounding as good are slim.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

gravesideservice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:36 am 

thank you all for your imput .. just to clarify a bit more .. we were totally capable at the time of the first album to have guitar and bass ( the keyboard and drummer can play either guiter ) . these track could have been in the first release , however , since we played live locally for amost 3 years , we didn't people to be mislead . meaning that we would sound different live ( one member can only play one instument at a time ) than on the cd . we are going to go back and rerecord the entire album with bass and guitar at some point . we are 1/2 way through the second album already , and it does have bass and guitar . live these songs will have only guitar , until a bass player comes along . once this is release i will definatly try again , in the mean time i'll be around read and gather more great advice .

ST LUCI , GraveSideService

Reply to topic