Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SssThsss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:23 pm 

Greetings, I would like to make a suggestion for the site:
In the page of a specific release, you can click a "view lyrics" link for each song, and, if that song doesn't have lyrics, the link is absent. Well, it has happened to me a few days ago to come across a Destruction album with 2 or 3 songs of which the lyrics are nowhere to be found, but the songs themselves aren't instrumental. Also, since i'm writing about the subject, in Maiden's Killers there's a "view lyrics" link in the album's instrumentals. The "lyrics" that come up are actually an "instrumental/no lyrics" sign. That's pretty much pointless IMO. I'm suggesting to add "instrumental" instead of the "view lyrics" link for instrumental songs, to avoid confusion.

Thanks for your attention.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:30 pm 

Hmm, maybe another column entitled "Instrumental?" with check boxes?

Alternatively, "(instrumental)" could be added at the end of a song title section, but that would be harder to maintain.

Either way, good idea. It looks confusing and useless when there's "view lyrics" available to click on when it's only an instrumental song with no lyrics.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:41 am 

The "instrumental/no lyrics" entry in the Lyrics box is not supposed to be added, incidentally. If we had a reliable way to catch the persons who do so, they'd be punished.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:57 am 

v2.

SssThsss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:30 pm 

Nightgaunt wrote:
The "instrumental/no lyrics" entry in the Lyrics box is not supposed to be added, incidentally. If we had a reliable way to catch the persons who do so, they'd be punished.

However, for cases such as Destruction's Eternal Devastation (http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=5283), I think it could be more convinient to make it clear that Upcoming Devastation is the only instrumental, as opposed to the other songs that lack lyrics. I'm only a newbie metalhead, so I don't know how many times stuff like this could happen on bands that are less known (specially in underground bands that never reached much fame), but I think the release I mentioned isn't the only case.
At any rate, it would make things easier easier to have a simple standart to follow for instrumentals on the whole site, in my opinion...

And thanks for the feedback

Bonesnap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:17 pm 

Weird. I was thinking about this two days ago when I was looking at Ride the Lightning and noticed a "view lyrics" link next to Call of Ktulu. All it contained was "Instrumental". There's also a link for Orion.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:48 am 

GVOLTT wrote:
Hmm, maybe another column entitled "Instrumental?" with check boxes?

Alternatively, "(instrumental)" could be added at the end of a song title section, but that would be harder to maintain.

I agree with this - when someone is adding an album, it makes it that much easier to just click a box then anything else. Also, adding "(Instrumental)" to the end of song titles are redundant, and harder to track then a simple click of the mouse :)

cheers,
--N

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:45 am 

This really shouldn't be necessary... even easier than clicking a box is simply leaving the lyrics field blank! The real problem is that there will always be unscrupulous pointwhores to exploit a blank field.

Reply to topic