Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Kramdar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm 

so i tried submitting my band Grimsby. and they didn't get approved because someone deemed they're "not metal" enough. and i was just wondering how this is determined. because we are pretty strongly metal influenced and it comes across very blatantly in our music. if being accepted is determined by the music on the myspace page, then it's no suprise we weren't. the songs on the myspace page are recorded very poorly (we just wanted to get a recording up with the new members), and they aren't our most thrashy numbers. we meld a lot of genres together like grind, hardcore, power violence, and such. but mainly, we're a thrash band. that's what you get if you boil us down to the very core and listen to ALL our material. obviously it's impossible to ask the person reviewing submissions to search out and make sure a band is "metal enough". Also, not sure if this is relevant, but Grimsby has also had people from other established bands in the archives.

so if possible, can my submission get re-looked at? or will i have to re-submit it?

thanks for any help

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:53 pm 

Lord_Kramdar wrote:
so i tried submitting my band Grimsby. and they didn't get approved because someone deemed they're "not metal" enough. and i was just wondering how this is determined. because we are pretty strongly metal influenced and it comes across very blatantly in our music. if being accepted is determined by the music on the myspace page, then it's no suprise we weren't. the songs on the myspace page are recorded very poorly (we just wanted to get a recording up with the new members), and they aren't our most thrashy numbers. we meld a lot of genres together like grind, hardcore, power violence, and such. but mainly, we're a thrash band. that's what you get if you boil us down to the very core and listen to ALL our material. obviously it's impossible to ask the person reviewing submissions to search out and make sure a band is "metal enough". Also, not sure if this is relevant, but Grimsby has also had people from other established bands in the archives.

so if possible, can my submission get re-looked at? or will i have to re-submit it?

thanks for any help

How relooked??
Those samples on myspace are more grindcore and powerviolence than metal, you have admitted it and a band has to be predominantly metal, not each song different genre. That means in the praxis, that a band has to have a realese, where all or the vast majority of songs are predominantly metal and this does not seem to be the case here.

Search out - you mean I should use some psychokinetic powers to listen to some songs, which are not available on the net?? Logic??

A band has to have at least one album or e.p. that is predominantly metal and this is not the case here.

If some members are active in metal bands does not matter, the bands are judged individually and the side project rule requires a realese on label with worlwide distribution (relapse, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Metal blade and the like).
Unless you have a predominantly metal based release and you can prove it, do not resubmit it.

How about reading the rules first:

http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php

We do NOT accept the following (this is our decision, please don't argue this):

* Grindcore (and all its variants; noise, crust, etc) with little to zero metal influence (ex: Anal Cunt, Libido Airbag)

* Grindcore - Death/grind = OK. Noisegrind, crustcore, jazz/grind, heavy punk/hardcore, etc. = Not OK.

We accept the following non-metal bands in certain cases (these exceptions can be ambiguous and debatable - scroll down for details):

* Grindcore if it's close enough to death metal (ex: Carcass, Napalm Death)
-----------------------------------
You have admitted that your bands plays power violence, non-metal subgenre of grindcore and all the sounfiles reflect that. There is none which would indicate, thathe band is thrash, death metal or any other subgenre of real metal.

Reply to topic