Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 am 

I'm not sure why bands are listed under personal names, especially after the personal name is dropped from the band name. I can understand listing Rising Force under Yngwie Malmsteen since the band name was actually dropped for a while in favor of just Yngwie Malmsteen, but I don't see why bands should be listed under a personal name instead of a band name. For example, Shining Star is listed under F as Fabio Rocha's Shining Star, even though Fabio Rocha has been dropped from the name. On the other hand, Guardians of the Flame is now listed as just that, instead of Jack Starr's Guardians of the Flame. I feel it is much more useful to alphabetically list bands by the band name, Is there a specific reason why it isn't done that way all the time that I'm not catching?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:07 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
I'm not sure why bands are listed under personal names, especially after the personal name is dropped from the band name. I can understand listing Rising Force under Yngwie Malmsteen since the band name was actually dropped for a while in favor of just Yngwie Malmsteen, but I don't see why bands should be listed under a personal name instead of a band name. For example, Shining Star is listed under F as Fabio Rocha's Shining Star, even though Fabio Rocha has been dropped from the name. On the other hand, Guardians of the Flame is now listed as just that, instead of Jack Starr's Guardians of the Flame. I feel it is much more useful to alphabetically list bands by the band name, Is there a specific reason why it isn't done that way all the time that I'm not catching?

We try to list thze band under the name - such as it appears on their releases, that's why D.R. I. are listed in the short form first and Corrosion of Conformity in the long form, on the other hand.

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:55 pm 

That makes sense, but then why isn't Shinig Star, for example, just listed as Shining Star?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 pm 

BackInTheVillage wrote:
That makes sense, but then why isn't Shinig Star, for example, just listed as Shining Star?

Because nobody has reported the change yet, simple as that.

Reply to topic