Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rubicant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:38 pm 

Why can't veterans or higher ranks update album titles, band names and genres?
I mean, we can update literally everything else.

I ask because I spend a lot of time updating song titles, fixing incorrect capitalization, etc. and it seems a bit silly that I can't do the same to those things (album titles, in particular). Granted, there is the report function but I don't want to bother other people (some of who might not even care about these sorts of things) when I could just do it myself.

Edit: Sorry if this has been brought up before, I searched but didn't find anything.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:25 pm 

Rubicant wrote:

I ask because I spend a lot of time updating song titles, fixing incorrect capitalization, etc. and it seems a bit silly that I can't do the same to those things (album titles, in particular). Granted, there is the report function but I don't want to bother other people (some of who might not even care about these sorts of things) when I could just do it myself.

Edit: Sorry if this has been brought up before, I searched but didn't find anything.

I appreciate your hard work, but that has to be reserved for the staff only. Some people, even veterans, have really strange ideas about genres, ot they are experts only in one field. The band name is as crucial as the releases listed and the core of the entry, so also out of reach for normal users. We had here sad experiences with veteran users who damaged album covers etc and even central attack on Russian bm bands by veteran Karpathean Knjaz and his bunch of kvlt kiddies, so no changes are expected in the future. The veteran users have very wide possibilities how to be useful even now.

The only debatable thing could be album titles, but even there I would be very careful.

For the record, I did not want more editing power even as a mere user.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:24 am 

Rubicant wrote:

With almost 600 veterans you can imagine that it's a bit too much. I already asked only for Metaldemons (we're only 18) and only for album titles but even that what considered too much. But I think there're reasons for that.

Rubicant
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:24 am 

All right, I see your points and agree this is better left to the staff's care.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to topic