Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
opprobrium_9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:53 pm 

This symptom has come up before for me, i don't know about anybody else. anyhoo, what i am talking about is this: Lets say for example that one wants to search for a band to see if they are on the archives at all, so one can add them if they are not. For me, i have found that sometimes band pages come up with the blank black screen and a "no results found" label at the top.

So say i was looking for Gorguts (this is an example - this is also hypothetically assuming that Gorguts has not been added yet), and then the page came up blank with a "no results found." I try again, nothing, and i try once more - nothing. I go into the queue and the band has not been submitted. Then i try again later and the band page come up.

What the fuck is up with this? This has happened to me on several occasions. I looked to see if a band was in the archives and i got a "no results found" page. I went back, checked the spelling, retyped it (whether the spelling was the same or different), and then hit enter. Still nothing. so i look in the queue, the band is not there. So i submit the band with all their releases. Then a couple days later i lose 20 points on my M-A account and i get a email saying that i tried to add a band that already exists on here, and that i should check to see if they exist before submitting them. Then i go back and look them up on M-A and they are in the database. I give a big and vehement "HUH!?!?!" for this problem.

Now i could whine and bitch about the fact that i lost 20 points, or whine and bitch about this problem that is obviously not any fault of mine. However, i will not do that. Instead, i would rather understand what the problem is and how, if at all, the mods could fix it. I would appreciate if some attention could be given to this problem, because i don't think i or any of the other users take kindly to losing points when it is not directly our fault. As someone who is trying to work up to at least a veteran status, i speak in earnest. This is not a complaint as much as it is a "how can i stop this from happening, or how can you stop this from happening?" question.

Thanks, any mod feedback is helpful and appreciated.

Irenicus wrote:
I beat a chink today at Microsoft internet checkers... The red dragon soars no more.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 pm 

In 4 years that has never happened to me.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:24 am 

post an example. You can try it with a band and if it does not work make a printscreen of it so that you can prove it. Then post this picture and based on that a discussion is possible.
BTW: are you sure the error is not on your pc; broken engine or so?

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 am 

You cannot prove that with a printscreen, only with a movie.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:34 am 

Evenfiel wrote:
You cannot prove that with a printscreen, only with a movie.

Damn it... I forgot that he can search for nonsense and then type a name in the searchbar and make a printscreen...

@ opprobrium_9

Google is your friend.

if you are not sure whether the band exist here or not try google.
site:www.metal-archives.com [bandname]

My podcast:

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:27 pm 

what's your browser?

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:05 pm 

I've never seen anything like that, either, and I've been looking at the site for as long as it has existed (or as long as it has been publically viewable, anyway). There have been instances where users were not able to directly access band pages due to issues with the name/former name fields (in fact, there was a post about that quite recently), but nothing quite like this. Browser issue, possibly? Or, hell, might be a bona fide new bug. They're certainly around, though they tend to cluster around split albums....
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:24 pm 

Happend to me, too. I tried to search for Mörk Gryning and just typed the phrase "Mörk" -> No results. Tried "Mork" and it worked. Treid then "Mörk", worked, too... no kidding.
There is that problem that letters like ö,ü,ä,ß for instance are not displayed properly. Perhaps this problem does exist or is intertwined with the search system.

My podcast:

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 am 

One simple explanation is that he has had the wrong field selected when he searched-- e.g. he had "lyrical themes" or whatever selected in the drop-down menu, and so got no results. It seems like an overly obvious answer but it can be surprisingly easy to do without noticing.

Predator667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm 

Happened to me once too. I searched the Archives for a band called Goddess of Sin and it said 'no results'. Thank God I first decided to ask the band for permission (sic!) and then add them. When I got their permission I decided to search the Archives again to see if they weren't added in the meantime. And I found they already were here... for two years o.O But before that and after that it never happened to me again, so if there is such a bug, it rarely occurs :]

wight_ghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:53 pm 

Just had this happen to me while searching for the band Malnatt (aka Malnàtt). Searching for "Malnatt" gave me no results, then I found their page by searching for "Mal" and scrolling down and clicking on their entry on the list of results. After that searching for "Malnatt" would take me to the band's page.

opprobrium_9
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:50 pm 

i will try google next time. see what i can find.

As for the other stuff, i definitely know i checked to see if it was "Search for band" so-and-so in the search bar. I am using the latest version of Firefox, and i have been using Firefox ever since i knew about this site, so i don't see that being an issue. And as for examples, i cannot post them because it hasn't happened to me in some weeks, which is fine by me. I also have no clue how to do a "printscreen" or movie of a page with this kind of thing. I can tell you that i remember trying to get on to Emperor (Nor)'s page once and this thing happened to me, along with some other lesser known bands which i have forgotten at this point. All in all i would say it has happened to me about 4-5 times since i started being a heavy user on this site. Fortunately it is not a continuous problem otherwise i might stress the issue more. Though, as it seems i am not the only one to experience it, i doubt it is just a computer or server problem on my end. So we shall see what the future holds for this issue; as of 1 month or less i have not experienced this problem, so yippidy-do-da-day.

Irenicus wrote:
I beat a chink today at Microsoft internet checkers... The red dragon soars no more.

Crystal_Vein
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:31 am 

This happened to me definitely once when I was searching for Infernal Majesty. After trying several times and shortening my search term/adding appropriate umlauts, I then browsed the "I"s and couldn't find them there either. Later, though, there were back again (this was quite a while ago though, maybe two years).

I think there were two other times, but I didn't browse or retry the search time and time again, so I didn't note it since I thought I had the wrong name (seeing as how one of those bands was Tristania, though, I doubt it in retrospect).

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:09 am 

This has happened to me, which is why I thought Gates of Darkness wasn't on the archives.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:45 am 

It's happened to me a few times as well.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Catastrophic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:16 am 

This has happened to me....

Twice.
The_Boss wrote:
I wonder if this would help me get more pussy.

No. Studies show that Manowar related penile products reduce attraction rates by 57%.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:57 am 

:wtf:

How the hell did you even post in this ancient thread?

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:15 am 

DrOctavia wrote:
How the hell did you even post in this ancient thread?

The better question is "why" not "how"...

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:35 am 

There's a script that's supposed to ensure we don't have to ask either question.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.