Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 194
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 pm 
 

There are some bands on this site which are still called active, yet the last time they released something was several years ago. Some even, haven't released anything for 10 years, yet they are still classified as active. I think it should be assumed that such bands are split up, or at least have their status set to unknown. An example of this is The Sins of Thy Beloved. They haven't released anything in over 5 years and I couldn't find any evidence suggesting they were to release a new album soon.

Thank you.

Top
 Profile  
MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:30 pm 
 

report function.

Top
 Profile  
immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:58 pm
Posts: 2184
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:54 pm 
 

Some just take that long to release new albums, because they want to work on it to the absolute best quality, instead of rushing it.
_________________
OlioTheSmall wrote:
AIDS... AIDS... AND MORE AIDS!!!!!!!!!


fetalfeast wrote:
I'm glad not all Australians are assholes like you.

Top
 Profile  
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 6144
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 am 
 

I think that if a band hasn't released anything in 10 years, the status can be changed to split-up.

Top
 Profile  
parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:03 pm
Posts: 964
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:15 am 
 

Blasphemy haven't done anything since 1993 except play one live show and rehearse but they're still active. Also, Havohej.

With old bands that released one demo then it's fine to list them as split up but with bands that have been around along time but have gone a while without a release then it'd be better to change it to 'unknown' until it's confirmed one way or the other. you can always add "Most likely inactive" to the additional notes.

Top
 Profile  
MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 pm
Posts: 2739
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:32 am 
 

Come to think of it, the band could also have just announced their reformation.

Top
 Profile  
Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 9:50 am
Posts: 6144
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:42 pm 
 

parasite_lost wrote:
Blasphemy haven't done anything since 1993 except play one live show and rehearse but they're still active. Also, Havohej.

With old bands that released one demo then it's fine to list them as split up but with bands that have been around along time but have gone a while without a release then it'd be better to change it to 'unknown' until it's confirmed one way or the other. you can always add "Most likely inactive" to the additional notes.


Sure, there are exceptions, but most of them aren't active.

MMisantropo: Yeah, but most of those bands seem to have something written about it in the additional notes.

Top
 Profile  
WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 194
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 pm 
 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Some just take that long to release new albums, because they want to work on it to the absolute best quality, instead of rushing it.


5 years might be a little bit too much.

Top
 Profile  
Mutalitia
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:59 pm
Posts: 1190
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm 
 

WilliamAcerfeltd wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:
Some just take that long to release new albums, because they want to work on it to the absolute best quality, instead of rushing it.


5 years might be a little bit too much.


There's plenty of bands that take that long in between albums, especially older ones. And anyway, a band doesn't need to be releasing new albums to be active, playing shows is enough. Look at Black Sabbath, they haven't released any new recording since the reunion album in 98, but they're still active.
_________________
EUGH!

He-ey!

OOH!

TRASH!!!!!

Top
 Profile  
WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 am
Posts: 194
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:18 pm 
 

You're right, but the bands in question have seemingly dropped off the face of the planet. TSOTB haven't done anything since 2001, i.e. no live shows, no new recorded material, no news about them on their website. Also, I used the report function to let the admins know about this. However strangely enough, I was given 1 point but the band's status wasn't changed. Does anyone know why this is the case? I'm not complaining about this, I'm just a little but perplexed about the situation.

Thank you.

Top
 Profile  
Hydrogen_Cloud
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:28 pm
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:29 pm 
 

Evenfiel wrote:
I think that if a band hasn't released anything in 10 years, the status can be changed to split-up.


10 years sounds good, and 5 isn't that long considering some bands on this site have taken longer for a single proper release.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group