Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 pm 

There are some bands on this site which are still called active, yet the last time they released something was several years ago. Some even, haven't released anything for 10 years, yet they are still classified as active. I think it should be assumed that such bands are split up, or at least have their status set to unknown. An example of this is The Sins of Thy Beloved. They haven't released anything in over 5 years and I couldn't find any evidence suggesting they were to release a new album soon.

Thank you.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:30 pm 

report function.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:54 pm 

Some just take that long to release new albums, because they want to work on it to the absolute best quality, instead of rushing it.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 am 

I think that if a band hasn't released anything in 10 years, the status can be changed to split-up.

parasite_lost
Mobile Oppression Palace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:15 am 

Blasphemy haven't done anything since 1993 except play one live show and rehearse but they're still active. Also, Havohej.

With old bands that released one demo then it's fine to list them as split up but with bands that have been around along time but have gone a while without a release then it'd be better to change it to 'unknown' until it's confirmed one way or the other. you can always add "Most likely inactive" to the additional notes.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:32 am 

Come to think of it, the band could also have just announced their reformation.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:42 pm 

parasite_lost wrote:
Blasphemy haven't done anything since 1993 except play one live show and rehearse but they're still active. Also, Havohej.

With old bands that released one demo then it's fine to list them as split up but with bands that have been around along time but have gone a while without a release then it'd be better to change it to 'unknown' until it's confirmed one way or the other. you can always add "Most likely inactive" to the additional notes.

Sure, there are exceptions, but most of them aren't active.

MMisantropo: Yeah, but most of those bands seem to have something written about it in the additional notes.

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:38 pm 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Some just take that long to release new albums, because they want to work on it to the absolute best quality, instead of rushing it.

5 years might be a little bit too much.

Mutalitia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm 

WilliamAcerfeltd wrote:
immortalshadow666 wrote:

5 years might be a little bit too much.

There's plenty of bands that take that long in between albums, especially older ones. And anyway, a band doesn't need to be releasing new albums to be active, playing shows is enough. Look at Black Sabbath, they haven't released any new recording since the reunion album in 98, but they're still active.

He-ey!

OOH!

TRASH!!!!!

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:18 pm 

You're right, but the bands in question have seemingly dropped off the face of the planet. TSOTB haven't done anything since 2001, i.e. no live shows, no new recorded material, no news about them on their website. Also, I used the report function to let the admins know about this. However strangely enough, I was given 1 point but the band's status wasn't changed. Does anyone know why this is the case? I'm not complaining about this, I'm just a little but perplexed about the situation.

Thank you.

Hydrogen_Cloud
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:29 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
I think that if a band hasn't released anything in 10 years, the status can be changed to split-up.

10 years sounds good, and 5 isn't that long considering some bands on this site have taken longer for a single proper release.

Reply to topic