Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thinkpad20
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:24 pm 

I find the forum search to be highly lacking. For one thing, you can search within the message text, or within the message text AND the topic title, but NOT within the topic title only, which is often the most important thing. Also there doesn't seem to be an ability to search for an exact phrase. Putting things in quotes as with Google doesn't work. It would also be helpful if one could go to the page in the thread where the searched phrase appears, rather than just going to the thread, especially when said thread could have tens or hundreds of responses. Finally, I think that giving a bit of the text of the thread, possibly with the queried term highlighted, would be very helpful, so that you could see the context in which it appears and not just spend all of your time blundering through long threads only to find that this wasn't the one you were looking for.

All in all I find the forum search function to be wanting. Do people agree? Or more importantly, is there anything to be done about it? If anyone has any tricks to address some of the things I brought up, that would be welcome.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:37 pm 

'Search for all terms' never turns anything up. (Unless it has recently been fixed)
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Reply to topic