Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KingSpooky
The Man, The Machine, The Legend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:21 pm 

Hello,
There's an issue that I feel is important, which would take a moderator approximately four minutes to deal with - the fake releases that user demonfong added to the site, which have been reported on five occasions prior to this post: once in the reports queue, twice posted in the 'wrongdoers' thread, and twice mentioned to (two different) moderators individually.
https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/839037
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64976&p=3121443&hilit=demonfong#p3121443

I was informed that there was concern with taking matters into my own hands to chase off the last problem user that was brought up in this thread (which was effective, and time no longer gets wasted on him, a method used only after having multiple posts ignored following at least a solid hour of clean-up over 3-4 different sessions, and after messages that I'd sent in attempt to guide him away from such messy and unnecessary edits being proven ineffective). I took accountability on my end, apologizing, and agreed to go through the proper channels next time. I've attempted to do so in this case. However, despite the fact that this individual (who happens to be evading ban in the first place) is operating a fraudulent Bandcamp page, with the logic "I DON'T FUCKING HAVE MONEY! KILL ME NOW!" (via report response) to legitimize/explain the (as documented on the site) "digital-only label" and its ongoing fraud, through the above-mentioned five attempts at communication (over a 6-week time span), the matter has evidently been deemed something not worth dealing with or looking into with any sense of urgency. Maybe the thread itself, with 'pointwhore' in the title, is perceived by moderators as a place that people go to grieve and blow off steam, and that nothing of substance is actually being brought up in there. If that is the case, would it be possible to have a new thread to bring up such matters that will be checked with regularity, where perhaps non-constructive complaints or negativity are discouraged, so that issues like this can be dealt with in a more timely manner, and when something like this comes up it wouldn't be a long and arduous task to go through the proper channels? As a volunteer that has spent countless hours of my existence straightening out falsehoods, typos, adding important bands that should have always been present on the site, and contributing in various ways, it feels fairly cold to be dealt such a red-tape-laden journey towards potential solution this time around.

Thank you for your time/attention.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm 

Dude, you've been a mod. You know that there are a ridiculous number of reports in the queue, and that keeping up with forum threads is not something most of us even have the time to do. If something needs to be taken care of quickly, the best avenues of communication are Discord, or emailing/messaging a mod directly.

That said, I'm not even sure what you want to be done about that label? It only has one release on MA, and it's already marked as unofficial, so... That seems to be in order. I've edited the note on the label page to specify that it's a bootleg "label".

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:48 pm 

Maybe reporting the bandcamp page?

I sent a message to a few bands asking if they knew about this label selling their stuff digitally.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:30 pm 

I reported it and they just told me to have the rights holder(s) report it.

Good luck getting in contact with Steve Putnam and the others that the guy's bootlegging for actual money though

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:31 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
Maybe the thread itself, with 'pointwhore' in the title, is perceived by moderators as a place that people go to grieve and blow off steam, and that nothing of substance is actually being brought up in there.

The staff absolutely do not wish for the thread to be used as such and I never had any consideration other than that it's for bringing wrongdoing to our attention so that it can be dealt with appropriately. From my end, the result is usually a warning or just a polite reminder is sent, and I think that process works fine. Only the admins can ban users, urgent queries and very serious infractions are best communicated in the ways recommended by the site owner.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:57 pm 

Okay. Well, my concern was that I messaged 2 moderators (after weeks of posts) about the issue and nothing was done.. so back to square one. And I don't have time to invest in Discord, getting tied up in conversations when mainly I'm just here to contribute information. I prefer the forum because the matter can be stated plainly, and there's no wait to see if someone will respond at that moment. Solution will be that I don't pay attention to petty stuff like this anymore, which will unfortunately be a loss to the site.. but not going to bend over backwards to alert people. I've done my fair share of gruntwork around here, and am only staying around for the parts that I enjoy now. You guys seem to have the matter covered. Thank you for your responses.

About the Bandcamp page - there were 3 releases listed on the site originally (2 had finally been removed). There's no reason to document a known fraudulent page like that in my opinion, which links web surfers to the illegal download of something that is still available from the band/label. Why should that be documented any time someone decides to try to siphon fan contributions of someone else's work into their personal bank account?

duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:43 pm 

I sent a email to Bandcamp, hope they answer asap.

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:39 pm 

KingSpooky wrote:
About the Bandcamp page - there were 3 releases listed on the site originally (2 had finally been removed). There's no reason to document a known fraudulent page like that in my opinion, which links web surfers to the illegal download of something that is still available from the band/label. Why should that be documented any time someone decides to try to siphon fan contributions of someone else's work into their personal bank account?

We document bootleg versions so that people are aware that they are, well, bootlegs.

KingSpooky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:45 am 

Understood - thanks.

duwan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:54 am 

Bandcamp team lazy af bro
Spoiler: show
Hey Ghoj,

Sorry to hear that. Please have the rights holder submit a copyright claim using the instructions here:
https://bandcamp.com/copyright
Thank you,
Bandcamp

Check my mediocre ahh reviews

Reply to topic