Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HalakThrowingUp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:01 am 

Hello fellow metalheads,

So after months and months of working on my side project, I finally have all the songs recorded. Now, since this is my first recordings with this project, it doesn't yet have a page on here. I want to be able to release in digitally, maybe on bandcamp or something, however the rules here state that I can't submit a band if it doesn't have a physical release of the album? If I burn the songs to a CD and distribute it while promoting it online, does this count or does it have to be a super legitimate fancy release?

thank you, and hails. \m/

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:21 am 

You might want to re-read those rules, we have been accepting digital albums since 2013 iirc. :p
But basically for the project to be accept d via digitally it has to be not shittily mixed/mastered, or "raw" to speak euphemistically and it has to be long enough. The rules state 30 minutes iirc, but most of the mods will accept demos of 20 minutes in length. Depending on mixing and mastering, of course.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

HalakThrowingUp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm 

PDS wrote:
You might want to re-read those rules, we have been accepting digital albums since 2013 iirc. :p
But basically for the project to be accept d via digitally it has to be not shittily mixed/mastered, or "raw" to speak euphemistically and it has to be long enough. The rules state 30 minutes iirc, but most of the mods will accept demos of 20 minutes in length. Depending on mixing and mastering, of course.

Thanks, however you can argue that my demo is not that well-mixed as I did it myself, not being a professional mixer or anything. But I took a lot of time to mix it and make it sound as good as I can, plus it's a black metal project so the recording quality isn't supposed to be good anyway. Are you sure about the time too? I didn't know demos should have that many songs or long songs to equal 20-30 mins.

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:32 pm 

Artwork is needed too.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:45 am 

Actually, the rule about length for digital releases is correct. Ideally 30 minutes, but over 20 can be acceptable.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 am 

PDS wrote:
The rules state 30 minutes iirc, but most of the mods will accept demos of 20 minutes in length. Depending on mixing and mastering, of course.

OpsiusCato wrote:
Actually, the rule about length for digital releases is correct. Ideally 30 minutes, but over 20 can be acceptable.

Wouldn't it be good to make some sort of specification to improve the "ruleness" of the rule? For example if the release is 90-100%, or something, clear as a metal release, then 20 minutes is acceptable. But for releases which metal factor is enough to pass the rule about being predominantly metal, but not with much of a margin, then it would take 30 minutes. And maybe have something about the above mentioned production criteria thrown in as well.

The thing with most/some mods accepting one length and others not is bound to cause frustration. I know I've refrained from submitting bands due to their digital release being over 20 minutes but under 30, since other submissions have been rejected with that as the one and only explanation and therefore it would seem like a somewhat probable waste of time to try to submit other bands that may or may not be rejected for the same reason. Especially for people who take time adding stuff like members, links, credits, lyrics, etc.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 am 

It's not about the metalness of the release, this would be silly as a 14 minutes death/grindcore EP is as metal as a 50 minutes digital doom album, it's about the professionalism of the release (production, artwork, distribution...). Sure, we could be clearer about this sort of release but in the end, it's a case by case thing. The decision about a certain submission can always be reviewed again anyway.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
It's not about the metalness of the release, this would be silly as a 14 minutes death/grindcore EP is as metal as a 50 minutes digital doom album, it's about the professionalism of the release (production, artwork, distribution...). Sure, we could be clearer about this sort of release but in the end, it's a case by case thing.

What I meant was that sometimes there are bands on the borderline of metal. So that a 14 minute release of a death/grindcore band that's a clear case of metal should be accepted but not a 25 minute doom release that much more borderline between metal and rock than a clear case of metal.

Anyway, I don't know how the moderator's realm of the site looks like. But since it's clear that there are problems with this type of rule you should have like a poll for all moderators to vote on whether the "production, artwork, distribution..." is acceptable. If not, it gets rejected and may only be reviewed another time if the band adds something new regarding duration, production, artwork, distribution...

Metantoine wrote:
The decision about a certain submission can always be reviewed again anyway.

Doesn't this imply that when the short duration of a release is the one and only given reason for a rejection, then theuser who submitted it should feel free to re-submit it without anything new added? If so, it's an unfortunate use of the word "rule".

Is there a certain amount of time that should pass before an identical re-submission is done? Or should people add notes saying "please let someone else than [moderator who rejected it] review it"?

I thought of this now as a band I submitted last year, which got rejected for its release being too short (18 minutes something, which I believe was when the rule said 20 minutes), just got added to the site now that the rule says 30 minutes, with the same release as their only one. And no change in artwork, production or distribution.

Like I've said in another discussion, my concern with things like this is peoples waste of time. Since duration-based rejects don't get blacklisted, it's likely that several users will spend time re-searching and compiling info of the one and same band. And if nothing new of significance is added, then moderators will be spending time reviewing significantly or even literally the same submission several times.

Reply to topic