Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:21 pm 

Is making an iTunes Digital Purchase version of a given album an acceptable version?
I made a new version of a Falkenbach album, but decided to reverse it because I do not think it is appropriate to be added as a new version.
Many bands have a iTunes Digital Purchase version of an album.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:24 pm 

Whoa dude...that font size.

Is this for your own collection? If so, I guess that would be okay.....it's your collection.

Like your reviews?

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:25 pm 

mjollnir wrote:

Is this for your own collection? If so, I guess that would be okay.....it's your collection.

I mean, not buying the physical album, but purchasing a digital download from Itunes, and make a seperate version entry in this case.
Is that acceptable?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:33 pm 

__MULLIGANACEOUS__ wrote:
mjollnir wrote:

I mean, not buying the physical album, but purchasing a digital download from Itunes, and make a seperate version entry in this case.
Is that acceptable?

Making a version entry in the band's database?

Like your reviews?

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:40 pm 

Yes. Making a version entry. Especially an iTunes entry.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 pm 

__MULLIGANACEOUS__ wrote:
Yes. Making a version entry. Especially an iTunes entry.

I saw what you did there and I'm not so sure about digital versions. I would hold off on any more until we hear from a mod on this

Like your reviews?

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:55 pm 

Yes, you're right: many bands release their music on iTunes and Bandcamp long after the music was physically pressed. It'd be useless (and pointless) to document every digital issue of an album that's virtually identical to the original. Unless there's some difference (cover art, bonus tracks, remastered material etc), it's best to leave it.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Yes, you're right: many bands release their music on iTunes and Bandcamp long after the music was physically pressed. It'd be useless (and pointless) to document every digital issue of an album that's virtually identical to the original. Unless there's some difference (cover art, bonus tracks, remastering, etc), it's best to omit it.

It's already there. Can I edit it as just a stand alone digital version or should it be flagged for removal?

Like your reviews?

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:02 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Alhadis wrote:
Yes, you're right: many bands release their music on iTunes and Bandcamp long after the music was physically pressed. It'd be useless (and pointless) to document every digital issue of an album that's virtually identical to the original. Unless there's some difference (cover art, bonus tracks, remastering, etc), it's best to omit it.

It's already there. Can I edit it as just a stand alone digital version or should it be flagged for removal?

I will flag it. And submit a new entry.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:07 am 

No. Dude...check your PM

Like your reviews?

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:53 am 

Unlike what Al noted, we DO differentiate other versions of releases based on format. So it is perfectly acceptable including a digital format if the album is also released by the band for digital distribution online. This is only the case if the album is distributed through an official source (like iTunes/Bandcamp or a link to a download on the band's Facebook page, for example). So if an album is originally released physically, and the band later decides to release it digitally, you can include both those versions. We do not include pirated digital albums. The album must be available for download (no streaming).

If the digital release is the same across official sources (iTunes, Bandcamp, etc.) then just amalgamate it into one digital version. In this case just note who distributed the album in the additional notes. If the releases vary - one has bonus tracks, different art, etc. - it may be worth it to split it into different digital versions depending upon those differences. In that case, you could include who distributed the album in the additional notes AND the "version description" field.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__, going back to your original question, it is perfectly fine including a digital version of that album since the iTunes purchase is an officially-sanctioned digital version.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:46 pm 

I do not believe that the iTunes entry is allowed. My entries all got deleted. I believe that my points also should be gone...

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:00 pm 

Yeah, my bad, sorry. :oh shit: I'm an idiot.

__MULLIGANACEOUS__
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:01 pm 

Alhadis wrote:
Yeah, my bad, sorry. :oh shit: I'm an idiot.

May I add it back

Alhadis
Madder Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:20 pm 

Sure thing. :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:27 am 

There is no need to add the origin of the download to the version description field, though. Whether it's from Bandcamp, iTunes or whatever, we don't treat them as different entities (unless there are other differences, like cover art or number of songs) and thus don't specify that. It'd be a bit like adding "Amazon order" to a CD release.

Reply to topic