Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 317
Location: In the graveyard, doing handstands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:48 pm 
 

okay, there's one thing I've been meaning to ask for ages, just to satisfy my curiosity... can I search for bands by number? like, Amorphis was the 1st band added, so they're band "1", Blind Guardian is "3", etc.

if not, could someone tell me which bands are 2, 66, 666 and 2112? the reasons should be obvious and it's been bugging me forever.

thanks :)

(apologies if it's been asked before, etc.)
_________________
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

Top
 Profile  
MutantClannfear
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am
Posts: 2231
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:15 pm 
 

When you go to a band page, the name in the URL has no bearing on the webpage; only the number is important. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Amorphis/1 and http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Darkthrone/1 will both link you to Amorphis's page.

Following this logic, you could type anything into the URL after "/bands/" and as long as the band ID is there, it'll direct you to the desired band page (unless it's been deleted). So http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Blahblahblah/66 will direct you to the 66th band added, which is apparently Zyklon.

Top
 Profile  
aloof
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 317
Location: In the graveyard, doing handstands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm 
 

genius! I thought about removing the band name, but it didn't work... I didn't think (and wouldn't have thought) of replacing the name with yadda yadda. thanks! :)

edit: both bands 666 and 2112 are disappointments (with regards to the "legacy" of the respective numbers). and I'm curious as to which bands were 2 and 5...
_________________
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

Top
 Profile  
theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:18 pm
Posts: 708
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm 
 

Wow, yes 666 is terribly disappointing.
_________________
In a recent review: "I didn't expect any "new" record by any "new" band to blow me like this."

Top
 Profile  
BlackenedZeroth
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 pm
Posts: 37
Location: China
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:15 pm 
 

Just use the link http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/ + a number.

Top
 Profile  
HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 113
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 am 
 

Burzum is 88.

Top
 Profile  
Alhadis
Madder Max

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am
Posts: 3580
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 am 
 

I'm dying to know what band #2 was, too. :grumble: Second band to be added to the encyclopaedia... non-existent.
_________________
J_Ason wrote:
grinder12345 wrote:
And you says that metal is about the riffs, that is bollocks, cause then black and death bands wouldn't get accepted, cause the play termolo-riffs.

they payl termolo! not real riff!

Top
 Profile  
aloof
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 317
Location: In the graveyard, doing handstands
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 am 
 

oh, I thought mods could see deleted bands...

thanks, BlackenedZeroth :)
_________________
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

Top
 Profile  
Azmodes
Ultranaut

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am
Posts: 5810
Location: Gradec, Austria
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:52 am 
 

aloof wrote:
oh, I thought mods could see deleted bands...

They can, but all deletions are regularly purged after around 3 months.
_________________
Quote:
One Too Many Camel was rejected on the basis that it was not metal.

Last.fm | Collection

Top
 Profile  
Fulgurius
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 am
Posts: 1067
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 am 
 

aloof wrote:
oh, I thought mods could see deleted bands...

thanks, BlackenedZeroth :)

Come on, the band #2 was probably deleted in the very beginning when most of us weren't even around here. I guess you may try asking Morrigan or Hellblazer if they remember it.

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3280
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am 
 

Heh, the corpsepaint-clad boys in Dimmu Borgir earned the "69" spot.
_________________
bug_man wrote:
hello i am an ego if you do not repost this to 10 other pages i will fly into jari's apartment and mess up the orchestras for the new wintersun album

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2074
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm 
 

I'm pretty sure I saw Morrigan say somewhere that the number 2 entry was something to the effect of 'test band'.
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
HouseSpiders
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 am
Posts: 391
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:02 pm 
 

Alhadis wrote:
I'm dying to know what band #2 was, too. :grumble: Second band to be added to the encyclopaedia... non-existent.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95035
_________________
vacca wrote:
"Pointwhoring is no fun. Pointwhoring endangers the life and happiness of millions. It must stop. We appeal in particular to the youth of today, stop the madness. There are better things in life."

Top
 Profile  
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm
Posts: 3280
Location: At the Heat of Winter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 pm 
 

I'm starting a heavy/power variant to be named "Testband 1". Look for the demo around June.
_________________
bug_man wrote:
hello i am an ego if you do not repost this to 10 other pages i will fly into jari's apartment and mess up the orchestras for the new wintersun album

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

Top
 Profile  
aloof
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 317
Location: In the graveyard, doing handstands
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 am 
 

Fulgurius wrote:
Come on, the band #2 was probably deleted in the very beginning when most of us weren't even around here. I guess you may try asking Morrigan or Hellblazer if they remember it.


I thought we had already established that I'm stupid, with special needs and unreal expectations... :p


and I would have thought testband would have gone before Amorphis. anyway, nice to have that sorted, am having lots of fun looking up friends' birthdays and phone numbers to see what band they correspond to :D
_________________
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

Top
 Profile  
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Posts: 2074
Location: Schaumburg, Il
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:21 pm 
 

It only goes up to 90600 though.

Edit: just kidding but the 90600's seem to be broken for some reason, or at least some of them. Is it because the band that was originally given that number was deleted?
_________________
niix wrote:
'the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter'

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

Top
 Profile  
aeternus1990
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 468
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:23 pm 
 

Yes, entering the ID does not always help you! Since I-don't-know-when-and-why bands have 10-digit ID, just look at all new approved bands :p

Other way is: going to "Band archives - By created date", choosing July 2002 and then page 6. You will see which bands were approved on the first days of MA's existence in its true order :)

Top
 Profile  
MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:35 pm
Posts: 584
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 am 
 

The numbers are so ridiculous because every draft, even those that go unsubmitted, or rejected, they get an id number. that's why you see such large numbers, and such large gaps between them.

I think. I could also be unintentionally pulling that out of my ass. Who knows.
_________________
One part the Führer, one part the Pope

inhumanist wrote:
"Fuck you, little Omar. Your school got reduced to rubble by an IDF missile, but Allah still gives you hope you say? Well that's just because you've never played Grand Theft Auto you little shit."

Top
 Profile  
aeternus1990
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 468
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:38 am 
 

The last band that has "normal", counted from 1, ID is Ghäst - ID 130075 - accepted 13th June 2008. So, there were ~130,000 bands created from July 2002 to June 2008 (if we count also all draft, unsubmitted, rejected bands too). After this all bands' ID are counted from 3540254XXX. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fat ... 3540254979 - the first band accepted with this kind of ID. Now, the newest bands have 3540378XXX ID and it means ~124,000 bands were "created" from June 2008 to March 2014. Totally we have near 255,000 bands and only 95,700 of those were accepted :D

Top
 Profile  
aloof
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 pm
Posts: 317
Location: In the graveyard, doing handstands
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:47 am 
 

I "expanded" my search to artists... 1-4 is Nile members, 5-8 is Morbid Angel, 10 is Fenriz. 2112 is... quite fitting :D
_________________
And every demon wants his pound of flesh, but I like to keep some things to myself.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group