Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:53 pm 

Added a new band that wasn't listed here before.
It was declined due to lack of proof of a physical release.
I added the demo I have a physical copy of - with picture and description.
What more evidence of a physical release do you need?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:26 pm 

I looked at your submission and all you provided in the notes was a few soundfiles. I cannot answer what more evidence is required better than the rejection message you received, there was no picture or description in the submission.

ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:18 am 

The release was added? With a picture of the cover?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:46 pm 

That is not enough, you need to prove the legitimacy of the release. I couldn't make your rejection message any clearer but I will also refer you to part of the rules on physical releases:
Quote:
A valid physical release is always preferred, and you must provide evidence of the availability of this physical format. This means a CD, LP, or even a tape. Photographs of the physical release(s), such as this, this or this example, will go a long way into having your submission accepted (whereas blank-looking CD-Rs hand-written in black marker will not). We also require evidence of legitimate distribution. Unprofessional BS such as "Promo Tape limited to 5 copies", "Promo CD-R limited to 10 copies", etc., are not going to fly. We actually prefer serious digital releases (see below "Valid Digital Releases") over garage/bedroom amateurism.

It would be best if there is mention of the band anywhere on the Web, even if it's just a demo review. Otherwise, it could be a joke/fake band and we have no way of knowing.

If the band is not mentioned anywhere on the Web, or if you cannot prove that they have a physical release by using Web links alone, the best ways to prove that they have a physical release is by making a scan or photography of:

Some of their releases
Mailorder lists / Flyers
Magazine / Zine reviews
There are numerous sites that you can easily use to host your pictures and scans. Imgur is a good one. Please avoid uploading these images to the "logo" or "photo" fields; just link them in the submission notes.

ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:11 pm 

Oh well, nevermind then. If a photo of the cover is not "legit" enough, then I don't know what else to do. After all, all I have is the one copy. I could always photoshop it so it looks like a stack of them, but I don't see how that would be any more "legit".
My bad for trying to add to the library with a more obscure band, won't bother doing that no more.

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:19 am 

ColdVoice wrote:
Oh well, nevermind then. If a photo of the cover is not "legit" enough, then I don't know what else to do. After all, all I have is the one copy. I could always photoshop it so it looks like a stack of them, but I don't see how that would be any more "legit".
My bad for trying to add to the library with a more obscure band, won't bother doing that no more.

Hey man, try not to get disheartened. The rules are strict at times, but for the right reasons. Sometimes people try all kinds of crazy stuff to get their bands on the site, so the team have to be stringent. I've had a few bands I can't submit due to similar lack of proof, but it's quite fun to do some extra research and learn about the band too.
Be as thorough if you can in your submission notes - if there is a discogs page or any evidence that the release existed online, send it alongside your submission notes. Explain that you can't find anything online and specify where and when you got the release, if you can remember. Sometimes a release isn't online.

The staff don't seek to catch people out or block new entries to the site, but there have to be arbitrary guidelines that need to be followed, as unfortunately over the years their existence has been forced due to unscrupulous shenanigans! If I can help somehow, I will!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:24 pm 

ColdVoice wrote:

Can you take a picture of the actual disc, plus the booklet (if there is one to speak of)? Do you have any more details about the demo's distribution? How, when and where was it circulated among the public? How many copies, approximately? Any tradelists listing it online? Anyone talking about it on any forums? Anything that can demonstrate to us that this was an actual public release. We are not unreasonable when reviewing circumstantial evidence particularly for the more obscure stuff, but a front cover image and nothing else could be anything.

If evidence is lacking, there is also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=104654

Stuff for sale on Discogs

ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:50 pm 

I've found the guy behind the project, turns out it's a Chilean band, not a Norwegain one.
Trying to get in touch with him on FB, awaiting a reply before I do anything else with this.

ColdVoice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:56 am 

Tried resubmitting it now.
Started out in Norway, now in Chile. Don't know how to add two different locations.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:02 pm 

Cheers, approved.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

Reply to topic