Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Avaxis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 pm 

Death Toll From Mexico have an EP, if you see their pics in his myspaces yo can see the format of the CD ( cd cover, box cover etc)...plz check it out....Death Toll Have an ep... is true

Geshy
Butterfly Matron Gaia

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 am 

So I did a search and other than people referencing them to prove other cases, I didn't see a reason why this band isn't on the archives. So I will attempt to do this the correct way. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

I was wondering why the Dillinger Escape Plan isn't on the site. If you listen to Calculating Infinity, it is clearly metal in many different ways. It's certainly comparible to Meshuggah and their ilk. Their complex, dissonant, and aggressive songwriting, in the majority of their catalogue, especially on that particular album, to me resemble metal many times more than any -core band I can think of, including SikTh and other bands that claim to be "mathcore" - these bands don't even come close to the insane riffing styles of early DEP. And even newer DEP, albums like Miss Machine and Option: Paralysis, may be a little more -core and poppy than the previous albums, but there are still technical compositions that can't be anything other than metal, I have yet to hear any -core band even attempt to accomplish their blindingly fierce licks and "riffs". Meshuggah (who are on the site) are very similar in that they also have complex song structures, but they also have about an equal amount of "breakdowns" and "-core" elements. But even DEP's breakdowns are in heavy time signatures. Take, for instance, the song 43% Burnt - a very metal song - the intro, which is somewhat breakdown-esque, changes time signature several times in a short amount of time, and adding this to the unorthodox not-exactly-chug-chug-chugga-chug way it's executed, makes it pretty damn heavy. And there aren't a dearth of solos either, although it's difficult to tell because sometimes a song could be considered one big shred-fest. Since this isn't an argument about their authenticity as songwriters in general, that can certainly help their case of being a metal band.

That's really all I can think of saying about this. What say you?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 am 

Their dissonant songwriting is not metal at all. They will never be accepted. It has no sense to propose these famous bands, which are not here for a reason.
Recent Meshuggah are not particularly metal, either.

Last edited by Witcher on Tue May 18, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 am 

Must agree with Witcher. Dillinger is my favourite band, but they're certainly not metal. They play chaotic hardcore early in their early days, avant-garde hardcore now.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:48 pm 

I dont understand why Jerusalem was deleted from the archives :ugh:

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:51 pm 

Have you read the thread's title? I don't think so.

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:56 pm 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Have you read the thread's title? I don't think so.

:oh shit:

Geshy
Butterfly Matron Gaia

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:21 pm 

DrSharK wrote:
Must agree with Witcher. Dillinger is my favourite band, but they're certainly not metal. They play chaotic hardcore early in their early days, avant-garde hardcore now.

Can you explain to me what exactly makes it hardcore and not metal (other than fanbase and scene reasons - I'm talking actual music)? I'm not arguing and I understand what you're saying I just want this clarified so I can go about my merry way.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Soulfly's new album is streaming.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... ypremiere/

Edit: Just finished listening to it. I didn't want to out and out claim that it had no nu-metal without listening to it myself. However, it has no nu-metal.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:01 am 

Geshy wrote:
DrSharK wrote:

Can you explain to me what exactly makes it hardcore and not metal (other than fanbase and scene reasons - I'm talking actual music)? I'm not arguing and I understand what you're saying I just want this clarified so I can go about my merry way.

Sorry, but no. The music is not metal, such answer should be enough for you.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 am 

Why was Inepsy (Can) deleted? I thought that it was pretty much agreed upon that they were metal.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Why was Inepsy (Can) deleted? I thought that it was pretty much agreed upon that they were metal.

Predominantly punk, not metal.
And it was not agreed upon anything - who should agree?
Bands are not accepted based on popular demand, but on the written rules and a moderators decision, which follows them.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:13 am 

Why Theplasmas are not in the database? they are not nintendocore (shit) it sounds like "Iron Attack" and is instrumental and it has an album called "noentiendo" (it has some 8bit sounds but that doesn't mean that the band is not metal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-qzplqP6Bc

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 am 

Read 1. of the first post.

skyvalley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:35 am 

Hi,

this is Thorsten of High Roller Records. We will release the debut album by Noctum in autumn 2010.

Noctum is a true heavy rock band which keeps the doomy spirit of the 70s.

Therefore I do not understand why a traditional sounding band like Noctum is rejected from this archive!

Thorsten
High Roller Records

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Read 1. of the first post.

Oh.. yep.. I've forgot that... soon then because soon they will launch something in CD

Thanks
-----------------------------------------------------------
Now playing: Dream Theater - Raw Dog
via FoxyTunes

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:42 am 

skyvalley wrote:
Hi,

this is Thorsten of High Roller Records. We will release the debut album by Noctum in autumn 2010.

Noctum is a true heavy rock band which keeps the doomy spirit of the 70s.

Therefore I do not understand why a traditional sounding band like Noctum is rejected from this archive!

Thorsten
High Roller Records

But this is a Metal encyclopedia.. not rock

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:54 am 

Thorsten,

I didn't reject the band but it was probably rejected because they don't have a release yet. If you feel they belong in the archives you would need to resubmit them after the release of the debut. You cannot submit them before the release date.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:55 pm 

ogmetal wrote:
Thorsten,

I didn't reject the band but it was probably rejected because they don't have a release yet. If you feel they belong in the archives you would need to resubmit them after the release of the debut. You cannot submit them before the release date.

I rejected the band because I listened to the songs on the band's MySpace, and they weren't metal. Granted, the first song did show some metal tendencies, but overall both songs were just 70s-influenced hard rock music. The band does have a release though; a 2-song promo-CD limited to 100 copies that was distributed at a festival.

doomface
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm 

This band should be in the Metal Archives. My submission was denied due to "no physical release"... but that is bullshit. They have released both of their EPs on CD format... both of which I own.
Just because they also made their EPs available for free download does not merit a denial due to "No physical release."

They are also signed to Init records and have a full length coming out sometime in June if I remember correctly.

Here is the denial note from the other thread:
"Wolvhammer: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540301871

No physical release.

Two digital EPs:
"OUR LATEST EP "DAWN OF THE 4TH" AND OUR FIRST SLAB OF FILTH "RICH WITH BLOODFUEL" ARE AVAILABLE FOR FREE DOWNLOAD AT www.wolvhammer.blogspot.com "
· http://www.myspace.com/wolvhammer

+ Upcoming full-length (not released yet) through Init Records:
· http://www.initrecords.com/index.php
· http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =525406050"

These dudes are metal as fuck. And they have most definitely released physical copies of their records... and last I checked they still had a bunch available at shows.
I have not resubmitted. I have read the guidelines and FAQ in the OP in this thread. They fit the bill. Would it help if I took pictures of their CDs?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:59 pm 

doomface wrote:
Would it help if I took pictures of their CDs?

Yes. Since you say their stuff is only available at shows and can't be ordered online, I figure that's why it was rejected, since the mods aren't going to go to the band's concerts just to check if they really have physical releases. Should go through smoothly with a picture of the CD(s).

doomface
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm 

Thanks for your feedback.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:15 pm 

GVOLTT wrote:
ogmetal wrote:
Thorsten,

I rejected the band because I listened to the songs on the band's MySpace, and they weren't metal. Granted, the first song did show some metal tendencies, but overall both songs were just 70s-influenced hard rock music. The band does have a release though; a 2-song promo-CD limited to 100 copies that was distributed at a festival.

Of course this isn't final either but based only on a 2-song promo. If the full-length has more metal than the promo, feel free to resubmit for re-consideration.

Geshy
Butterfly Matron Gaia

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Geshy wrote:
DrSharK wrote:

Sorry, but no. The music is not metal, such answer should be enough for you.

Okay that's cool man. Can someone else explain it to me then?

ScorpionX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:34 pm 

I submitted Irondred as a new band, but it was rejected. Here is their myspace: www.myspace.com/irondred .

Their EP Midwest Massacre (which I also submitted) was available through them and were sold at shows.

I'd be happy to resubmit.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 am 

ScorpionX wrote:
I submitted Irondred as a new band, but it was rejected. Here is their myspace: www.myspace.com/irondred .

Their EP Midwest Massacre (which I also submitted) was available through them and were sold at shows.

I'd be happy to resubmit.

You have to prove, that they have a physical release. Read the first post in this thread.

MetaIMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 pm 

Why was the band Archaic Plague rejected? Sure they don't use guitars, but neither does Profanum, who I think they are extremely similar to. And the vocals are definitely black metal.

http://www.myspace.com/bandancientplague

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:18 pm 

Mmm it doesn't sounds too heavy

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

MetaIMachine wrote:
Why was the band Archaic Plague rejected? Sure they don't use guitars, but neither does Profanum, who I think they are extremely similar to. And the vocals are definitely black metal.

The band was rejected because the music is not metal, rather some form of dark ambient with only metal elements.

As for Profanum, their early material is black metal with proper guitars.

MetaIMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 pm 

Drowned wrote:
MetaIMachine wrote:

The band was rejected because the music is not metal, rather some form of dark ambient with only metal elements.

As for Profanum, their early material is black metal with proper guitars.

Ah ok, thank you! I had not heard early Profanum, so that definitely clears that up.

Lippyass Major
Mens Mentis Minor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:41 am 

Goatfangs wrote:

Edit: Just finished listening to it. I didn't want to out and out claim that it had no nu-metal without listening to it myself. However, it has no nu-metal.

I've been morbidly curious about what will happen with Soulfly. If the mods deem it isn't metal, I wonder what genre they'll say it is? I think things are getting close, and it's fun to watch.

Avaxis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:03 am 

Death Toll From Mexico have an EP, if you see their pics in his myspaces yo can see the format of the CD ( cd cover, box cover etc)...plz check it out....Death Toll Have an ep that was relased in this year, is not a ciber album

Oblitteratus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 pm 

I've seen Canchroid has been accepted but still, here's 4 links with photos of the EP "The First Slaughtering"

Front Cover:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/ ... em0032.jpg
Booklet :
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/ ... em0034.jpg
CD :
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/ ... em0033.jpg
Back Cover:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/ ... em0035.jpg

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:40 pm 

Avaxis wrote:
Death Toll From Mexico have an EP, if you see their pics in his myspaces yo can see the format of the CD ( cd cover, box cover etc)...plz check it out....Death Toll Have an ep that was relased in this year, is not a ciber album

The picture is a computer-made one, not a photo. Besides, they say that no release date is confirmed for the release.

Oblitteratus wrote:
I've seen Canchroid has been accepted but still, here's 4 links with photos of the EP "The First Slaughtering"

Thanks, but not needed anymore.

Sleazer777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:34 pm 

I've got an message that LAZER (USA) band is rejected,because it's not Metal and does not belong.Its a bit strange,because this obscure band released just one 7 inch single back in 1979 and maybe the year of release looks "suspicious".I think that the biggest problem with these early HM sounding bands is year or release (back in 1979) this band sounded more METAL than most NWOBHM colleagues.And much more Heavy.I think that moderators will say the usual explanation like : "70s Hard Rock" but when the cases comes to these obscure bands like this not everything is so simple.

I need More Moderators opinions on this one.Uploaded the whole 7" Here on Megaupload

And now when you download and carefuly listen to songs please compare LAZER to average UK NWOBHM bands like :

Mendes Prey

Camargue

Chevy

Thanks for your time.Im not fighting to M-A rules.I accept everything but sometimes I can't understand that on everything most of people look from 2000 years perspective.I mean there were term like Heavy Metal and in 80s and it had another meaning than it is now.Maybe we should look from 80s perspective - not from 2000.Again sorry for long post and keep the good work here.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:27 pm 

FierceBlackandWicked wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

I've been morbidly curious about what will happen with Soulfly. If the mods deem it isn't metal, I wonder what genre they'll say it is? I think things are getting close, and it's fun to watch.

I have heard Rise of the Fallen and it sounds like Cavalera Conspiracy but a bit less metal. I have not bothered with the other tracks. The debate for this band with this album has already been done and the verdict was not metal I believe.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:59 am 

Visionary wrote:
FierceBlackandWicked wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

I have heard Rise of the Fallen and it sounds like Cavalera Conspiracy but a bit less metal. I have not bothered with the other tracks. The debate for this band with this album has already been done and the verdict was not metal I believe.

No, debate just started since the album streamed, it won't even be released until the 25th, and I haven't seen any moderator address the issue directly.

I think in the end, the moderators will not be the ones with the final say. Morrigan or Hellblazer would with a band as notable as this.

As for the song Rise of the Fallen, it's no less metal than Gojira (which is what it reminds me of, especially from 2:50 on). The rest of the album is semi-technical groove/thrash. I don't recall any tribal-experimental parts. No nu-metal period. Some hardcore influences. A quick listen to Cavalera Conspiracy (as in, Myspace tracks) and I don't detect as much metal compared to what is all on Omen. Not a mathematically precise estimate (there would be no such thing in reality), but I'd say CC is 85% metal, while Omen is closer to 90 or 95% - or it could be more like 86% vs. 88%. CC has some hardcore influences (Sanctuary, Hex) and a few groovy almost nu-metal parts (Intro/Outro and main riff of Inflikted).

The one thing CC might have more of are guitar solos, and nifty fucking guitar solos at that. Inflikted, Heart of Darkness.

Edit: Could I have permission to post a separate thread on the matter to centralize discussion and debate on the band as well as provide a spot where moderator/administrator decision can be more easily found?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 am 

Sleazer777 wrote:
I've got an message that LAZER (USA) band is rejected,because it's not Metal and does not belong.Its a bit strange,because this obscure band released just one 7 inch single back in 1979 and maybe the year of release looks "suspicious".I think that the biggest problem with these early HM sounding bands is year or release (back in 1979) this band sounded more METAL than most NWOBHM colleagues.And much more Heavy.I think that moderators will say the usual explanation like : "70s Hard Rock" but when the cases comes to these obscure bands like this not everything is so simple.

I need More Moderators opinions on this one.Uploaded the whole 7" Here on Megaupload

And now when you download and carefuly listen to songs please compare LAZER to average UK NWOBHM bands like :

Mendes Prey

Camargue

Chevy

Thanks for your time.Im not fighting to M-A rules.I accept everything but sometimes I can't understand that on everything most of people look from 2000 years perspective.I mean there were term like Heavy Metal and in 80s and it had another meaning than it is now.Maybe we should look from 80s perspective - not from 2000.Again sorry for long post and keep the good work here.

No, bands are judged individually. There is zero metal elements in the second song and only minimal in the first song. As you have expected - seventies hard rock, does not belong.

Camargue deleted - hard rock
Chevy too - same reason

Last edited by Witcher on Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:13 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Edit: Could I have permission to post a separate thread on the matter to centralize discussion and debate on the band as well as provide a spot where moderator/administrator decision can be more easily found?

There's no public debate required, and there's probably a thread about it in the staff subforum already. I figure when they made up your mind they'll let us know. There's really no point making huge statements in this thread disagreeing with the staff when the staff hasn't said anything to disagree with yet, so best hold your horses until you hear the word.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:05 pm 

http://www.myspace.com/voidcr
The Last Void - blacklisted for not being metal.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 541  Next