Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm 

Sorry! It's my first band submission!

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:52 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
Sorry! It's my first band submission!

No worries. That's what this thread is for! :-P

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:33 pm 

Why aren't they metal enough?
Although they have a few ballads and their first album is hard rock, they are absoutely metal.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:35 pm 

They are definitely not "absolutely metal". The second album is maybe 50% rock ballads and the rest mostly hard rock with a few metal moments in between.

Stuff for sale on Discogs

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:38 pm 

Bummer. But thanks.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Turbotecheye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 pm 

Serpent of Brass was rejected because it was psychedelic rock more than doom. I am objecting due to the evidence of OM being listed in the archives.
https://serpentofbrass.bandcamp.com

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 am 

I really wish folks would grasp that just because one band exists on the Archives it does not mean another band will be accepted.

When we make judgments on whether something is acceptable or not, comparisons between bands don't factor into it. That might sound odd to the people reading this post, but consider for a moment that we judge bands for acceptance based solely on whether they have at least one predominantly metal album. For the most part, most bands that have "metal albums" are popularly perceived of as "metal bands." Maybe that's the only sound they play. However, you can have bands more popularly perceived of as "non-metal bands" which have a "metal album" somewhere in their discography. If that's the case they will be accepted, regardless if most metalheads might not see such bands that way. This isn't to suggest that Om is not metal - far from it - but that comparing between bands is utterly useless when what we're looking at are specific albums, not what style of music a band is best known for playing or which someone can loosely stereotype a band for playing at any given time.

Bands are approved on their own merits. Prove to us that a band has a metal album.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Turbotecheye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:54 am 

Phrygian and minor scale used exclusively in composition of songs. Ominous and brooding vibe characteristic of traditional & funeral doom. Produced and engineered by a known metal artist. Mastered by a known engineer who has worked for Southern Lord. Moreover, delay, ambient movements and clean/non scream vocals does/should not exclude a band from a genre.

the decision is what it is. But so is empirical evidence as far as it is possible in such a subjective context.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:21 am 

Turbotecheye wrote:
Phrygian and minor scale used exclusively in composition of songs. Ominous and brooding vibe characteristic of traditional & funeral doom. Produced and engineered by a known metal artist. Mastered by a known engineer who has worked for Southern Lord. Moreover, delay, ambient movements and clean/non scream vocals does/should not exclude a band from a genre.

the decision is what it is. But so is empirical evidence as far as it is possible in such a subjective context.

Beethoven's fifth symphony was also omnious and brooding, with a percussive overture in the key of C Minor. These attributes have absolutely nothing to do with being metal.

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:56 pm 

Why is the band Malevolence (United Kingdom, Sheffield) blacklisted? They play a mix of melodic thrash/groove metal and metalcore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerxP6t9Q9E Definitely a metal band.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 am 

Pessipath wrote:
Why is the band Malevolence (United Kingdom, Sheffield) blacklisted? They play a mix of melodic thrash/groove metal and metalcore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerxP6t9Q9E Definitely a metal band.

We're currently discussing that one.

Ovnev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 pm 

My band Ovnev was rejected because there wasn't a place to buy the physical demo. It is up for sale on my bandcamp page now. https://ovnev.bandcamp.com/album/-

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:51 pm 

Only two copies?

Come on...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

L4cK5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:55 pm 

Okay hi, to be honest, I'm pissed. I tagged Masuria as "Progressive Metalcore", now its blacklisted. Well, just give it a listen, if you think it may be too much core for your metal page.... Call it Prog Metal or just Metal.... But I don't get the point of excluding certain sub genres anyway.... Oh and a Member also played in Inkarna, who are on your site, which makes it a project, you would list? In the end, do what ever you think is best for your site.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:01 pm 

L4cK5 wrote:
I tagged Masuria as "Progressive Metalcore", now its blacklisted.

You could have tagged it "raw black metal" and it wouldn't have made any difference considering the actual music.

L4cK5 wrote:
Well, just give it a listen, if you think it may be too much core for your metal page....

I distinctly remember the band being firmly on the -core side of the spectrum.

L4cK5 wrote:
But I don't get the point of excluding certain sub genres anyway....

Well, to be exact, metalcore is a hybrid genre. Bands playing this style are bound to vary in their musical make-up. As a metal database, we exclude those whose sound is more hardcore than metal, whereas we include the reverse. What's not to get?

L4cK5 wrote:
Oh and a Member also played in Inkarna, who are on your site, which makes it a project, you would list?

I don't see how this is relevant?

Ovnev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:11 pm 

I will make more copies when people order more copies, AS OF NOW there are only 2 copies. Why did it get rejected again? I have done everything the rules say for a demo. I changed that it is a limited edition of two because I will make more. 2 is just all I have on hand right now.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:24 pm 

Ovnev wrote:
I will make more copies when people order more copies, AS OF NOW there are only 2 copies. Why did it get rejected again? I have done everything the rules say for a demo. I changed that it is a limited edition of two because I will make more. 2 is just all I have on hand right now.

That's not enough distribution to validate the physical release.

And it is too short to accept as a digital release as well.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Ovnev
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:33 pm 

Ok then. I won't resubmit again if you want to reject it. I will wait until my full length is complete and come back. Will this demo be accepted when I put the full length up or should I just leave it off?

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:09 am 

Quote:

It really isn't at all, if it was more "core" than it would sound reminiscent of hardcore punk and it doesn't at all. Modern metalcore like this has hardly any actual "core" to begin with anyway. On top of that it's progressive from what I just heard.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:16 am 

um, do you have BastardHead on ignore or something? He very clearly explained this to you like three times now. If you disagree with his/our/the wider definition/cladistics of "hardcore", ok fine, but don't act willfully ignorant of what you've been told by a staffer of this site and repeat the same stuff ad nauseam. It's not doing anyone any good.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:56 am 

Ovnev wrote:
Ok then. I won't resubmit again if you want to reject it. I will wait until my full length is complete and come back. Will this demo be accepted when I put the full length up or should I just leave it off?

Yes.

Last.fm

L4cK5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:56 am 

Azmodes wrote:

Okay, interesting. I would recommend 'Metal Evolution' series on Youtube with musicologist Keith Kahn-Harris. But however, I'm out, seems pretty senseless and I'm okay with Masuria not being enough metal for your website.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:24 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Ovnev wrote:

Yes.

Yes, it will be accepted or yes, he should leave it off? :p

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:32 pm 

Oops, haha.

Include the demo, Ovnev.

Last.fm

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 am 

Azmodes wrote:
um, do you have BastardHead on ignore or something? He very clearly explained this to you like three times now. If you disagree with his/our/the wider definition/cladistics of "hardcore", ok fine, but don't act willfully ignorant of what you've been told by a staffer of this site and repeat the same stuff ad nauseam. It's not doing anyone any good.

"wider defintion"

He knows little about hardcore and he even said that himself.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:57 am 

Get used to it man. We have a different understanding of -core than you.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:21 am 

Derigin wrote:

That doesn't excuse ignorance but okay

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:33 am 

Hardcore and Hardcore Punk aren't the same, dude.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Defreasis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:33 am 

Where's the empty?
-- http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Eviction/3540403606 --
(I didn't type in submission note after rejected)
Spoiler: show

It's already filled when I checked/before rejected.
And all links are working,
Quote:
http://suaraeviction.bandcamp.com/album/suara -- complete samples and the physical copies
http://photo.sh/photo-i9843380481603814 ... 20013.html -- selling cassette
http://www.online-instagram.com/media/1 ... 2004455803 -- CD, the biggest CD one
http://www.online-instagram.com/media/1 ... 2004455803 -- CD

Honestly I don't say which one is the physical copies and which one is the sample, but every a hundred bands I submitted are indeed like this and approved.
(it's strange why the bandcamp link is white, but it still works, try to copy+paste)

Quote:
"DO NOT resubmit until all the avaliable information is properly added!"

You mean all includes the logo, photo, year, alternate spelling, discography, members, location, lyrical themes, related links? If so, then off topic why is approved without all the available information?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Insanity/3540402391

Some lack of information because I don't know what's the release year, where's the location, etc but around one or two years ago, don't know which format was released first, the links never say pre-order and coming soon, it's distribution/order as usual. I didn't add logo because more than 50kb and can't resize it right now. I didn't add album because how the hell can I add it by phone. But the physical copies are exist and Bandcamp samples are available, that's the minimum. The additional note explains too, I am not lying. Unless if rejected again because not metal.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:12 am 

I did not reject it for lacking proof of valid release. I rejected it because you CAN add all the avaliable information and refused to do so. That's a lazy submission in my eyes. I am no clairvoyant to know you are submitting from your phone and can't add the album, so in my eyes it was a lazy, negligent submission and I don't take too kindly such submissions.

If possible, add the album and full information and resubmit.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:38 am 

Pessipath wrote:
Derigin wrote:

That doesn't excuse ignorance but okay

Seems more like our definitions simply do not align. You seem to think that if it doesn't sound like vintage hardcore punk, then it can't possibly be counted as a form of hardcore/-core. But that's like saying Obituary can't be viewed as playing an evolved form of heavy metal because they don't sound like Judas Priest. I believe BastardHead made a similar comparison to demonstrate our point. I'm no expert on hardcore/punk by any means, but I like to think that I have some understanding of the connection between Black Flag, Shai-Hulud, Hatebreed and Suicide Silence and that "hardcore" (which is what we mean by -core around here) can certainly be used as a wider term covering the various (to a greater or lesser degree metal-flavoured) subgenres and developments ultimately derived from punk, like metallic hardcore, beatdown hardcore, and (less-than-metal) metalcore/deathcore.

You may still disagree, but that's how the site views it.

aaauuuuu wrote:
Some lack of information because I don't know what's the release year, where's the location, etc but around one or two years ago, don't know which format was released first, the links never say pre-order and coming soon, it's distribution/order as usual. I didn't add logo because more than 50kb and can't resize it right now. I didn't add album because how the hell can I add it by phone. But the physical copies are exist and Bandcamp samples are available, that's the minimum. The additional note explains too, I am not lying. Unless if rejected again because not metal.
OpsiusCato wrote:
I did not reject it for lacking proof of valid release. I rejected it because you CAN add all the avaliable information and refused to do so.

:scratch: hm, are you sure you read that part, OC?

aaauuuuu is understandably perplexed here. Honestly, OC, I'm not a fan of your practise to send incomplete-yet-acceptable submissions back to the sender. Sometimes it's indeed laziness, but as aaauuuuu's case shows often users simply do not have the necessary information/means for a more complete draft. Yet the submission can still meet our minimal requirements and there is no harm in approving it since the gaps can (and probably will, to some extent) be filled in later anyway (and we have a point system for different degrees of completeness for a reason). The key is to verify whether a band has the necessary attributes to get an entry, everything else is nice to have, but not technically a requirement. I think what you're doing is unnecessarily complicating the submission process, confusing users as to what exactly is needed of them as stated in the rules.

aaauuuuu, please resubmit.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:19 am 

I tried searching but got no results. Finnish grindcore band Cut To Fit is blacklisted, more punk than metal is the assessment I guess?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:36 am 

Punk-based grindcore

Last.fm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 am 

Too much FETO in the mix I guess. ;) Thanks.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:36 pm 

Abbath's new band (Abbath) has revealed a song off of the new album as well as a release date and album art. Can I add the band now that all this info has been published?

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/20 ... inter-bane

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:39 pm 

No, a band needs at least one valid release already out.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:42 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
No, a band needs at least one valid release already out.

Τhanks!

Yes it is.

0th
Suicidal Angel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 pm 

Why was M-102 blacklisted? Their new album is out, thrash metal.
http://m-102.bandcamp.com/album/the-dividing-line

Autumnwinterlord
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 am 

Moderators rejected this band of a friend of mine because they said that Faunus has not a valid release, but he is selling his first ep via bandcamp and his official Facebook. A moderator said that is not a valid release because their cds will be shipped within 98 days, but Faunus told me that just was an mistake. Cds will be shipped within beetween 1 and 5 days, but he is not selling the complete ep in bandcamp digitally because he like physical cds.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Faunus/3540389572

ColdLogisticSlaughter1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:29 am 

"Aversions Crown is blacklisted because it's more -core than metal"

yeah and winds of plague are allowed because...what? they are death metal? blackened death metal? they aren't more -core than metal? oh that's right, cuz breakdowns, chugging guitars, breakdowns, breakdowns and BREAKDOWNS...are what...pure metal?

sorry, but sometimes the logic in this page (admins) is so stupid.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356 ... 541  Next