Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

Reposting what I just put on Craigslist. Obviously I'm not that anal about my likes and dislikes (or prone to using the word "tasteful,") but I figured being ultra-specific would help me weed through the Craigslist morass.

Just moved here for work after graduating college and I'm looking to get back into playing metal. While in Iowa City I did vocals for a black/thrash group (similar to Destroyer 666, Skeletonwitch, etc.) and played live shows over the course of six months. I had to sell some gear to cover moving expenses but am planning to purchase new stuff at the end of the month (listed at the end of the post.)

My primary vocal style is low-mid death growls, similar to Tomi Joutsen of Amorphis, though I can also growl and shriek in a black metal style as well. My cleans are a baritone similar to Garm (Kristoffer Rygg), Vintersorg, Joutsen, and Bjornar Nilsen of Vulture Industries.

Basically, I'm just interested in any making kind of extreme metal with occasional and tasteful use of synths and clean vox - By tasteful I mean "complements and supports the music well" (Arcturus, Solefald, The Meads of Asphodel, Amorphis, Borknagar, Enslaved, Septic Flesh) not "look how weird and experimental we are!" (Unexpect, Diablo Swing Orchestra, later Dodheimsgard, etc etc.) Solefald is my favorite band of all time, if that gives you any indication of my interests.

Only major dislike is anything -core.

In terms of gear:
Vocal Stuff:
Electro-Voice ZLX-15P 15" 2-Way Powered Loudspeaker
Yamaha MG82CX 8-Input Stereo Mixer (for the PA itself.)
Scarlett 8i6 Preamp
Shure SM58B

Synths:
A host of softsynths on my laptop (FM8, Alchemy, Synth Squad, Absynth) with an Oxygen 49 midi controller. Perfectly portable, but I'm planning on picking up a Mopho X4 early next year since hardware's more fun to control. I also have a modular synth system for in-studio work.

Again, I'm buying the PA and mixer late this month/early December (everything else in that list I have right now) but figured I'd put a listing out now to get a conversation going so we could start ASAP once I have it.

I live in Elk Grove but have a car and can drive/Blue Line downtown easily if needed.

Regarding samples: Our drummer had some tracks we were planning on releasing as a demo shortly before we split up, and I'm in the process of bugging him to see if he still has them on his computer. If not I'm more than willing to head out to a practice space/middle of the woods and growl my lungs out to prove my abilities.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 am 

Going to bump this. :D

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm 

There is a band called Earthen in Chicago that recently dropped a lot of members and they may be looking for a synth player. Their style is less extreme than the bands you mentioned, but the music is professional and enticing. The main guy you want to contact is Mike (Novembers Doom, Nachtmystium, Jungle Rot), who is an all around awesome dude, and completely dedicated musician. Try their facebook page. I played bass for them for a while, but lived too far away to make it to their midweek shows, and they've been on some big ones.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:35 am 

Thanks for the heads-up!

Reply to topic