Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
vgmaster9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm 

Besides metal, I am a massive fan of electronic music. I like anything from ambient, disco, house, electro, techno, trance, psytrance, industrial, synthpop, downtempo, trip hop, electronica, IDM, breakbeat, jungle, drum n bass, eurodance, UK garage, dubstep, hardcore techno, hardstyle, chiptune, and other related genres and subgenres.

Anybody else into electronic music? Discuss about it and post some songs that you like.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:09 pm 

I'm a bit of a dabbler in electronic, and probably like a lot of people on MA, it's mostly ambient for me. Huge fan of the pioneering German stuff, ESPECIALLY Tangerine Dream (one of my favorite bands, period), as well as Klaus Schulze of course. The band Zombi is a pretty cool throwback to that style; I've been spinning their most recent album quite a bit. Vangelis's soundtrack for Blade Runner is always in frequent listening rotation, as well.

As far as (relatively) newer stuff goes, I'm big into Aphex Twin and Biosphere. In general I still have a lot of ambient/electronic to dig into and discover, although that's a good place to be at this point I suppose. It's a great genre. It really embeds itself into your head like no other type of music does, and it's truly stimulating for the imagination, especially late at night.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 pm 

I actually love a lot of electronic music. And like the guy above me I'm the most into ambient music, fuck I love ambient. Hell that even seeps into my metal listening because my favorite metal genre is Ambient Black Metal lol But I do like a lot of other genres. i love industrial and I've been getting pretty big into martial industrial lately. I like alot of the digital hardcore stuff like Atari Teenage Riot, their first album Delete yourself, (burn, Berlin, burn) is one of my favorite albums ever.

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 pm 

+1 for Aphex Twin

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:28 am 

i like witch house(?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2sOQedggAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ILurzcziw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7Klex3QQA

along with Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, and whatever Touhou electronic arranges sounds good to me

i usually enjoy either the harder or the more atmospheric stuff.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 am 

I am a great fan of Gabber beats, yet I hate most Gabber/Speedcore tracks. The annoying Hoover synth melodies (Hoover "rhythms/stabs" are fine, but all those attempts at screechy pop melodies are just tasteless and obnoxious), stupid tryhard faux aggression and retarded, sped-up samples are all a really big, frustrating turn off for the most part (considering they mar 99.9% of all otherwise good Gabber tracks)... but Gabber beats themselves just rule.

The more distorted, the better. Shit is totally mosh-worthy, which sounds really stupid, but hard Gabber beats just make me want to fucking thrash around like crazy (as opposed to breaking out in the supremely stupid form of dance known as "Jumpstyle"... Fucking Eurotrash shit).

I could listen to a well-produced, distorted Gabber beat with minimal interruption from dumb samples and cheesy synth leads for hours.

Basically, I like (and dislike) some of the sonic tropes of a lot different EDM, but I fucking hate the subculture and "scene stereotypes" immensely.

In general, I am also just a "dabbler" who likes a fairly broad-yet-shallow variety of EDM... I like a lot of the same shit most people do, but I don't consider myself well-versed in any particular style.

Witch House is some BS, BTW. Though, as far as "House" music (which WH isn't really at all, BTW, to anyone wondering) I am developing a fondness for really cheesy 90's House music.

While my knowledge of/experience with Italo Disco is very limited, I also found that to be very enjoyable as well. I don't really care for Disco without the heavy use of synths and other electronic elements much at all, though.

Obviously, I like Richard D. James. and, obviously, I consider most contemporary electronic music at all similar to be mostly derivative crap. Some is very good, but all of it is derivative. Washed Out can suck a million fat, herpetic cocks in hell:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 am 

I'm an IDM chin stroker from way back. Boards of Canada, Autechre, Scanner, Photek, Scorn, Burial etc etc. I'm actually doing my first performance with one of my electronic projects on Saturday night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MFcrRgXyY

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 am 

I'm into a fair bit. My favourites are probably House, Ambient stuff like Aphex Twin, and the Burial style of Dubstep. I used to listen to Trance while running, that was good.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 am 

In general I find most modern electronic music stale and repetitive but I really like The Knife's latest, Full of Fire being a clear choice cut.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
I am a great fan of Gabber beats, yet I hate most Gabber/Speedcore tracks.

Can definetly relate. The genre would be so much better if it was all beats, no lame retarded shit and samples ruining the songs.

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
I am a great fan of Gabber beats, yet I hate most Gabber/Speedcore tracks. The annoying Hoover synth melodies (Hoover "rhythms/stabs" are fine, but all those attempts at screechy pop melodies are just tasteless and obnoxious), stupid tryhard faux aggression and retarded, sped-up samples are all a really big, frustrating turn off for the most part (considering they mar 99.9% of all otherwise good Gabber tracks)... but Gabber beats themselves just rule.

Marag wrote:
Can definitely relate. The genre would be so much better if it was all beats, no lame retarded shit and samples ruining the songs.

guys, try Ophidian or some stuff mixed with breakcore
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Blackbox/3850119
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Like+A+ ... es/3844429
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Enduser ... st/8830406

I'm into electronic music mainly ambient techno/IDM, goa trance/psybient, ambient, but also other genres (drum/drill and bass, trip hop, EBM, etc)

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm 

After metal, harsh industrial music is my favorite genre (or subgenre, I guess - I can't say I like nearly as broad a selection of industrial subgenres as I like metal subgenres). Harsh industrial/dark industrial/aggrotech/harsh EBM, all those overlapping things.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I suppose my go-to song for stomping around the dance floor would be "Hate this" by Grendel. Some of my other favorite aggrotech (etc.) bands are Psyclon Nine, Hocico, Combichrist, Amduscia, Aslan Faction, FGFC820, Xentrifuge and Asphyxia. I also like a few other less harsh industrial/electronic acts like KMFDM, VNV Nation, God Module, X-RX. The sort of stuff one hears on an industrial night at the goth club :P

the_raytownian wrote:
The more distorted, the better. Shit is totally mosh-worthy, which sounds really stupid, but hard Gabber beats just make me want to fucking thrash around like crazy (as opposed to breaking out in the supremely stupid form of dance known as "Jumpstyle"... Fucking Eurotrash shit).

Haha, I've taken part in a couple mosh pits at industrial shows. There was a huge pit last time I saw KMDFM. So totally mosh-worthy \m/

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:40 pm 

I've dabbled a little bit, but mostly into industrial/electronic metal like Umbra Animae, Red Harvest, Minority Sound, ect. Orbeth also has some albums on the more electronic side that seem quite good. Electronica can be good if it is not repetitive, which seems to be most of it nowadays.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm 

As well as some people here I really like the Industrial/EBM bands especially wumpscut, Hocico, lately I've been getting into Covenant and Icon of Coil. I also like bands like Coil and Kraftwerk and early Death in June. Before I listened to metal I almost entirely listened to Trance and Dance and now while I think most of it was shit I still sometimes play a few songs from these genres.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 pm 

Reid wrote:
ESPECIALLY Tangerine Dream

I don't know how people can exist without knowing of the vital catalogue of this band. The triad of Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear is pure listening wonder and bliss.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm 

Listening to Stratosfear for the first time now and it's far from amazing. I recall Rubycon being rather meh as well. Phaedra and Zeit are quite good though.

Conservationism
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:41 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Listening to Stratosfear for the first time now and it's far from amazing. I recall Rubycon being rather meh as well.

I wish you luck with that hearing problem. But if you enjoyed Phaedra, you're not doing so bad after all. I waffle on Zeit, which has its amazing moments and then sometimes seems phoned in.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am 

Vitross wrote:
As well as some people here I really like the Industrial/EBM bands especially wumpscut, Hocico, lately I've been getting into Covenant and Icon of Coil. I also like bands like Coil and Kraftwerk and early Death in June. Before I listened to metal I almost entirely listened to Trance and Dance and now while I think most of it was shit I still sometimes play a few songs from these genres.

How did I forget Wumpscut and Icon of Coil, great bands. I've only listened to a couple Covenant songs and they're a little on the slow side for me, but still pretty good imo.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:03 pm 

Ambient....chiefly of a darker sort. More akin to industrial ambient, actually, though I don't mind keys if done well. And anyway, even Lustmord has been using synths, so I don't think there's a whole lot of "pure" industrial ambient/ambient industrial left anymore.

I listen to Lustmord, of course. But I really dig Sleep Research Facility, Desiderii Marginis, the various Aural Hypnox groups (eg Halo Manash, Arktau Eos, Zoat Aon, etc), some Raison d'Etre and some Steve Roach (who is really all over the fucking place, both in terms of style and quality). Sleep Research Facility is very appropriately named, sometimes unfortunately so (his first album is too effective). Deep Frieze is my favorite. His newest, Stealth is very good too (and it has an interesting concept). Desiderii Marginis has a pretty unique emotional palette; I used to like That Which is Tragic and Timeless the most but I'm leaning more towards Seven Sorrows more these days. Strife really only has two songs I love ("The Sweet Hereafter" and "Blackout"). Procession is good too, particularly "Land of Strangers." I still need to give Deadbeat and The Evergreen Tree a more careful listen.

My favorite by far, however, is Ulf Soderberg/Sephiroth. Consistently breathtaking, and really surprisingly varied as far as ambient goes. A lot of ambient does get repetitive (which is entirely the point oftentimes), and I find that even a lot of the best stuff still has its dull moments that carry on too long. Of Ulf's five albums, I think maybe one has that problem at any point in time. Very dynamic stuff, with great incorporation of traditional industrial ambient techniques (eg, field recordings and sound design), various acoustic instruments, percussion, vocals, and synth. Yes, there are drums....sometimes. Long sequences of pure ambience punctuated by bursts of percussion are the norm, though some pieces have sustained drumming sections. The volume and pace of the rhythm varies too.

Blood Box is another unfortunately obscure project. His latest one is a bit odd (though the first track is truly stunning by the end), but The Iron Dream is amazing. Thematically he's kind of strange....it's like space ambient if the universe was emotional rather than cold and uncaring (and it doesn't sound as stupidly light and new age-y as most space ambient does). Some of his pieces sound like a galaxy having an anxiety attack. Dramatic, somewhat sad buildups ending in cascading waves.

Full disclosure: I have no shame in admitting I work out to lots of clubby (sometimes trashy) dance music. Very good at getting you pumped up.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm 

TANGERINE DREAM IS GREAT, YES.

I just wanna comment opn that.

They suck fucking horribly now, but I think they are great up until teh larte 80's/early 90's period.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 am 

qTp wrote:

This did not really appeal to me, I am sorry to say. Too much like EBM, as opposed to Gabber.

For the record, I like early EBM, but that style has sucked for a long time. It's even more gimmicky and full of obnoxious posturing and an apparent preoccupation with style over substance than Gabber ever was.

Like I said, it used to be good, but when it went from the slick, edgy, Knight Rideresque sounds of Front 242 and early FLA to its Demon Burger levels of tacky, commercialized dilution in the mid-late 90's, I just think the entire genre/subculture became totally retarded and unbearable. EBM, so-called "Industrial" and anything labeled "Aggro" just gets worse and worse as the years go by.

Futurepop is also totally vomit-inducing mutant music from the same rotten stock of third generation, post-commercialization EBM. Some fucking Steampunk level obnoxiousness right there. Holy shit. Just thinking about it puts me in a bad mood.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind hearing some goofy, extremely dated early 90's House/EBM crossover right now, though... :lol:

vgmaster9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:36 pm 

Also, who like electronic rock bands like Pendulum, Celldweller, and Blue Stahli?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

There's also Jean Michel Jarre. I've only listened to Oxygene, Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields. First two are cool but MF is pretty mediocre.

Here's Equinoxe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAhgz9aLukk

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

I'm inclined to think that the first two are all you really need from JMJ, based on all I've heard, but eh...then there are people like Conservationism.

When it comes to electronic threads, people often say LISTEN TO KLAUS SCHULZE but then don't really give any specifics. I only recently came to realize just how massive his discography is, given all the original live material he recorded and all the stuff that you can only find on his compiled collections. It's a ton to explore, but so far I'd have to say I gravitate toward his '70s work the most. Timewind, Mirage, and Irrlicht are fantastic, but then he's got lots of great concerts that are probably a lot less well-known. His 10-disc Historic Edition is great for delving into that more obscure side of his output.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:04 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
When it comes to electronic threads, people often say LISTEN TO KLAUS SCHULZE but then don't really give any specifics. I only recently came to realize just how massive his discography is, given all the original live material he recorded and all the stuff that you can only find on his compiled collections. It's a ton to explore, but so far I'd have to say I gravitate toward his '70s work the most. Timewind, Mirage, and Irrlicht are fantastic, but then he's got lots of great concerts that are probably a lot less well-known. His 10-disc Historic Edition is great for delving into that more obscure side of his output.

A lot of people will say that his 70s stuff is superior. I've begun exploring his 80s stuff recently though. Dig It is pretty cool. Otherwise, another awesome album he's done outside the 70s is Kontinuum from 2007.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:17 pm 

Hmm, okay, yes I think it'll be really interesting to comb through his stuff over the months and find some unexpected gems. I've heard almost all his Dark Side of the Moog albums with Pete Namlook, and while all of them are a generally good time, the only ones that have really struck me as really outstanding are Pts. V & IX. Interesting to hear his style blended with the spirit of the '90s FAX label, which is another major entity I always tend to bring up in electronic music discussions and one that virtually no one else seems to be familiar with :( Sad, really, because I think FAX was probably the single most impressive label in the "golden age" of modern electronic music at the end of the analogue era circa 1994/95. Kind of breaks my heart that so many original, beautiful, visionary albums were released there and yet go almost entirely unknown. It's really a treasure trove of "cult" electronic, an absolute wonder for any electronic music fan that hasn't discovered it yet.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm 

Industrial / EBM for me. I've been addicted to Aesthetische - Nacthbrenner lately. Here is an album preview on youtube:

Some of my favorites include:
yelworC, Tyske Ludder, Aesthetische, Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, AutoDafeh, Nachtmahr, Shadow System, Unter Null, Placebo Effect

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:09 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:

I know what you mean.

If you want less cheesy, try hardtek. It's mostly like gabber but less cheesy, and it also came out a couple of years later and was obviously influenced by gabber. It's also not that much a Dutch style, more like French/Czech/German, even Italian.

I'm probably most of all into electronic music, besides metal.

Other styles besides hardtek that I like are drum and bass and Goa/psytrance.

Although lately I've been getting into electronic music from the 1960s and 1970s: Silver Apples, Mort Garson, Isao Tomita, Cybotron (Australia), etc.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 pm 

I don't know if Laibach counts, but I'm going to say Laibach anyway.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 pm 

Y'all into Perturbator? It's basically a soundtrack to a coke-fueled, blood-riddled, neon-soaked 1984 Miami.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:41 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Y'all into Perturbator? It's basically a soundtrack to a coke-fueled, blood-riddled, neon-soaked 1984 Miami.

Absolutely. Enjoyed I Am The Night a lot, very cool atmosphere captured there. They always have amusingly over the top covers too.

Mmm, I'm mostly into a lot of this J-Core/Doujin electronic music myself, especially the trance stuff. DJ Noriken, Ryu☆, LV.4, P*Light, and Junk are all particularly awesome. I can roll with happy hardcore when I'm in the mood too. Stuff like REDALiCE is gold.

Can't say I ever got into much really popular artists like Daft Punk or much like them, I do like Danger a fair bit though.

last.fm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm 

Started out listening to psytrance, now I really love dubstep (stuff like deep medi, not brostep), glitch-hop, some futurepop/ebm, breakcore, psyambient, some idm etc.

Seeing Goth-Trad and Youngsta tonight in Houston, gonna be an incredible dubstep show.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 pm 

I love electronic music, mostly chill ambient stuff, like Jon Hopkins, Helios, Brian Eno and Ulrich Schnauss, but also love kind of minimal D&B (?) music like Baths, love that guy <3

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:04 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Absolutely. Enjoyed I Am The Night a lot, very cool atmosphere captured there. They always have amusingly over the top covers too.

I prefer Terror 404 because it sounds more like actual 80's music despite the lack of vocals. I Am The Night is good for what it is though, being a more dark and creative turn at 80's synth, but it tends to lack variety between songs. Terror 404 has way more replayability for me with tracks like Payback Pursuit and John Holmes VHS Nightclub being irresistibly catchy.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 pm 

I love electronic music. To be honest most of what I listen to these days is dark psytrance. I play it nearly all of the time. I also love jump up drum and bass, some hardstyle, some gabber, aggrotech, fidget/dutch/electro house, and I dabble in some dubstep from time to time.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:42 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1UdTvLoUSY
NEOTOKYO IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE.

I'm a sucker for 80's influenced stuff. Kavinsky is another artist who's been taking on the 80's, but in the style of house music rather than darksynth like Perturbator. His album is shit Justice worship though, ignore it.

I've been listening to an synthpop trio called CHVRCHES recently; they sound like a concoction of Kate Bush, Cyndi Lauper, and modern synthpop. Really happy-sounding cheery stuff that always puts a smile on my face.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 am 

Throbbing, neon-bathed 80's influenced dark(ish) electronica is one of my favorite genres of music right now. Some favorites that even just casual electronic listeners would be remiss to not check out are:
Power Glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOO1cMTkSg
Lazerhawk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZQUEMZlCU
Renegade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4JFCy2Wk4

...and literally dozens upon dozens more.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Throbbing, neon-bathed 80's influenced dark(ish) electronica is one of my favorite genres of music right now. Some favorites that even just casual electronic listeners would be remiss to not check out are:
Power Glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOO1cMTkSg
Lazerhawk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZQUEMZlCU
Renegade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4JFCy2Wk4

...and literally dozens upon dozens more.

Thanks for this, I'd never heard that first song before and quite enjoyed it.

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 pm 

I love Steven Wilson's project Bass Communion, which combines electronica with (dark) ambient and drone.
And some movie soundtracks like "Solaris", "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m38g4L1U0rc

Been on a huge S3RL binge recently. Completely unabashed 90s eurodance with a lot of modern themes. The pokemon song is my favourite but this one rocks too, and I love the lyrics.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next